LT Big Nasty and big baits
Michaeldircz
Posted 2/18/2015 11:37 PM (#754751)
Subject: LT Big Nasty and big baits

Although this topic gets beat to death, I just ordered two St. Croix LT Big Nasty's and am wondering how efficient they are (in your experience) at casting and retrieving baits 7-15 oz.

Note: the question is NOT if this is the best pounder rod, rather how efficiently it handles heavy baits
Ronix
Posted 2/19/2015 7:25 AM (#754765 - in reply to #754751)
Subject: Re: LT Big Nasty and big baits

IMO, very well. My favorite rod
Smiltona
Posted 2/19/2015 11:43 AM (#754828 - in reply to #754751)

You can throw a 20 lb dumb-bell with it if you chose. That doesn't mean it's good the the rod.
Travis A.
Posted 2/19/2015 11:49 AM (#754831 - in reply to #754751)

I throw pounders all the time with mine. However when I switch to a mag dawg I notice how much easier it is. The rod throws the lure. With a pounder the rod does some of the work but your body does a lot too. Especially with Monster Medussas. I wouldn't have thought there'd be that much difference between a Monster Medussa and a Pounder but I can notice it. Also this is trying to get complete bomb casts out of it. It you're not shooting for the moon, I'm sure the rod will do it better and take some of the work off your body but I have a feeling that if I tried throwing rubber with an XH or XXH Predator or the new XXH Custom X I would fall in love with how much easier it would be. But going from pounders to mag dawgs with a Nasty is like they aren't even there.
upnortdave
Posted 2/19/2015 12:10 PM (#754837 - in reply to #754831)

If you dont throw pounder all the time its a great rod. Ive thrown double dawgs just fine but anything bigger is work after couple hours.
Michaeldircz
Posted 2/19/2015 12:52 PM (#754847 - in reply to #754751)
Subject: RE: LT Big Nasty and big baits

I plan on throwing regular and husky medussas, 10" phantoms, hardheads, and various bondy baits alot. Sounds like guys are saying this rod is up for the task
Simple Man
Posted 2/19/2015 1:12 PM (#754859 - in reply to #754847)

I have the Big Nasty and love it! With that said, I just bought my first Monster Medussa at the Milw Show and when we got back I slapped it on my buddies LT Big Dawg and did not like how it felt on that rod, let alone my Big Nasty. Granted, we were inside when i put the bait on the rod so I didnt throw it but it sure felt like it was a bit much for that rod.  I could be wrong though....

I was planning to buy a Big Dawg this spring but I may move to the Shock & Awe instead.  I was planning to use the Big Dawg for everything from Big Blades (12's/13s), 10" Phantoms on up to the Monster Medussa.  I just started researching a bit more the past week or so in order to make a good decision on my next rod for big/heavy baits. 

I used the Big Nasty for everything up to regular medussa's last year and it was perfect. 

Buliwyf
Posted 3/7/2015 9:27 AM (#757982 - in reply to #754751)

I have two best g nasty' some for speed baits on for slower presentations. Love them.I used to throw everything, including until I broke one in half mid cast . I like the handle length, weight, just about everything, but I would invest in another rod for the really big stuff.
Esoxrox
Posted 3/7/2015 9:49 AM (#757988 - in reply to #754751)

Michaeldircz - 2/18/2015 11:37 PM

Although this topic gets beat to death, I just ordered two St. Croix LT Big Nasty's and am wondering how efficient they are (in your experience) at casting and retrieving baits 7-15 oz.

Note: the question is NOT if this is the best pounder rod, rather how efficiently it handles heavy baits

I would have asked this question before spending near $800 on two rods. I would not routinely throw that heavy of baits with my Nasty though.