Essential gear for filming on the water
flyingfish8604
Posted 2/18/2015 12:48 AM (#754499)
Subject: Essential gear for filming on the water

My wife and I are looking into getting GoPros or something similar for filming our time on the water. We don't know a ton about any of the brands of personal cameras, and are not stuck on a brand etc. Any advice on which cameras to look into, or stay away from would be greatly appreciated. We know we will need extra batteries and SD cards, but are there other accessories that are must haves? We would probably want some sort of waterproof video camera or case so we can get release shots.

Thanks,
Eric
setme31
Posted 2/19/2015 11:49 AM (#754830 - in reply to #754499)
Subject: Re: Essential gear for filming on the water

Check out Mikeyballz fishing on Youtube. Here's a link to a video he did that takes you through all of the different mounting options and accessories. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTKRjvJFS4U
sworrall
Posted 2/20/2015 10:27 AM (#755084 - in reply to #754830)

We shoot on the water and on the ice hundreds of hours per year. Any good hat camera will do the job for you, learn not to whip your head around allot. It takes practice. A wide angle windshield mount camera, and one mounted to the bow light covers the rest. Immediately upon hookup, we use a camcorder or point and shoot waterproof camera to record video, so frequently we are able to get three or four perspectives.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152806200889929&set=vb.337467...

Editing is critical to the finished product. Learn how to set the program to render your clip without compressing the heck out of it, which will make it look fuzzy and pixelated. I use Adobe Premier Pro. You can rent the program pretty reasonably. We export using the Android Tablet 720P setting and a 5 minute video is hi def, clear, and under 50 MB.

Water moving is tough on an encoding program, not much you can do there to avoid issues without a ton of training, work, and equipment.
flyingfish8604
Posted 2/23/2015 3:36 PM (#755725 - in reply to #754499)

Thanks for all the help. I think my wife and I will have fun this season filming and learning.