I-Pilot on Power Drive
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 2/11/2015 9:19 AM (#753015)
Subject: I-Pilot on Power Drive

Anyone use one on theres and what you like/dont like about it ? Considering adding to mine,but states your foot pedal will be deleted.

Forgot to mention its a 55lb 12volt system...so will the I-Pilot drain my battery even more ??

Edited by missourimuskyhunter 2/11/2015 9:40 AM
cave run legend
Posted 2/11/2015 9:39 AM (#753019 - in reply to #753015)
Subject: Re: I-Pilot on Power Drive

I added it to my powerdrive then sold it and bought a terrova. I like using the pedal while casting instead of the remote.
Skinny
Posted 2/11/2015 3:09 PM (#753086 - in reply to #753015)
Subject: RE: I-Pilot on Power Drive

Under certain applications I like the iPilot, such as using the anchor feature. However, it is more efficient to use the foot pedal because you can cast while maneuvering the boat with the foot pedal, but you must stop fishing while adjusting your position with the hand held unit. The iPilot will not drain your battery any differently than using the footpedal.
Top H2O
Posted 2/11/2015 7:49 PM (#753145 - in reply to #753086)

Skinny - 2/11/2015 3:09 PM

Under certain applications I like the iPilot, such as using the anchor feature. However, it is more efficient to use the foot pedal because you can cast while maneuvering the boat with the foot pedal, but you must stop fishing while adjusting your position with the hand held unit. The iPilot will not drain your battery any differently than using the footpedal.

yes the iPilot for the Power Drive doesn't use a foot pedal..... After a few months of use you should be able to master the remote, and be able to make moves with pinpoint precision while Casting/reeling in lures just as efficient as using a Foot pedal.... It's B.S. to say that "you have to stop fishing" while adjusting your position with a hand held unit .... Actually when it's windy the remote is Freaking awesome
You can use the tracking option and work an area better than using the foot pedal..
Just Saying.

G-Rome
Yooper Padre
Posted 2/12/2015 8:01 AM (#753195 - in reply to #753015)

I've got iPilot on my Terrova and wouldn't be without it. It's is great technology and I use the anchoring feature every time I go out. Record a track is a great feature, which, I admit, I should use a lot more, especially when fishing weed edges and other structure. All that said, except when I'm fishing in the back of the boat, I prefer to use the foot pedal for steering and adjusting speed. It's just simpler to use my foot and not have to break from fishing or have to set anything down.

Just one thought to consider, how old is your Powerdrive? At $400, iPilot is an expensive add-on, nearly half the cost of a whole new unit.

Fr. K
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 2/12/2015 9:42 AM (#753229 - in reply to #753015)

My power drive is pretty much new when i ordered my rig in September. Im an idiot for not doing the terrova at that time,so now i figure the numbers and will be selling the power drive and getting the terrova. Im just old school and have never had another model.
dami0101
Posted 2/12/2015 9:56 AM (#753233 - in reply to #753145)

Top H2O - 2/11/2015 7:49 PM

Skinny - 2/11/2015 3:09 PM

yes the iPilot for the Power Drive doesn't use a foot pedal..... After a few months of use you should be able to master the remote, and be able to make moves with pinpoint precision while Casting/reeling in lures just as efficient as using a Foot pedal.... It's B.S. to say that "you have to stop fishing" while adjusting your position with a hand held unit .... Actually when it's windy the remote is Freaking awesome
You can use the tracking option and work an area better than using the foot pedal..
Just Saying.

G-Rome

How exactly does one work a hand remote while in the middle of a retrieve without stoping what they are doing? I'm being serious because this was the reason we didn't add i pilot to our power drive.

Edited by dami0101 2/12/2015 9:57 AM
cave run legend
Posted 2/12/2015 10:08 AM (#753238 - in reply to #753233)

You have to have god given talent. I can't do it. It was a pain trying to use the remote and fish. I use the remote for the anchor now. I use the foot pedal to put it in auto pilot.

Everyone is different, one person may find the remote awkward some will like it.

Edited by cave run legend 2/12/2015 10:17 AM
Top H2O
Posted 2/12/2015 11:50 AM (#753275 - in reply to #753238)

Ok, seriously here's how I use my remote:
I have the remote hanging from my neck and is about where the Reel is.(stomach to waist area)
With Rubber,... I cast,....Rod butt under arm,(right or left side it doesn't mater, I fish both ways) start retrieve.... pull, crank, pause ,pull, crank, pause... If I need to make a boat correction during the retrieve I just reach down and make it DURING the pause... takes two seconds. It works for me.
Bucktails... the same way...Hold rod under the arm, crank with one hand, and use the second hand for boat correction and then my second hand goes back to holding the reel..... Actually it's easier to watch me do it than have me try to explain it.
Twich Baits, topwater, glide baits, ect....
Like others have said.. It's not for everyone and takes some time to figure it out. Don't get me wrong if I had deeper pockets I'd also have the top of the line Terrova and Electronics.