Dealership Important?
Yooper Padre
Posted 2/10/2015 2:39 PM (#752902)
Subject: Dealership Important?

When I read replies to the many questions about "which boat is best?", I often wonder how many owners consider distance to the nearest dealership an to be important factor in buying a new boat. It seems, despite all arguing and banter, that most new boats, with a few exceptions, are of excellent quality and problems are probably rare. (Am I right?) Still, I am not comfortable with the idea of owning a boat or motor that requires a 100+ mile drive for warranty service. Anyone else?

Fr. K
Paramuskyhunter
Posted 2/10/2015 3:47 PM (#752910 - in reply to #752902)
Subject: Re: Dealership Important?

I am glad that my dealership was near by this past year when buying my new boat. We had some issues that almost made me not have a boat for my Canada trip. If I had to drive across the state I would have had to take off more time at work to get it looked at and to pick it up. It would have been quite a pain. I know that is the reason I went with the dealership and boat I went with. Its because of the close proximity to my house.
kap
Posted 2/10/2015 4:11 PM (#752919 - in reply to #752910)

will they be in business as long as you own the boat? i have seen several fail.
100 miles is a long way but i go 60 right now just because i trust them
Toporanger
Posted 2/10/2015 6:24 PM (#752935 - in reply to #752902)

Im kind of like Kap. But I dont care if there is say a Crestliner dealer near me and I own a Crestliner. For warranty work (which has been super rare) Ive always been able to find someone that can do it closer that may not be a dealer for that brand. For normal service.....who cares what the dealer brand is. As long as its a good shop you trust, it doesnt matter the brand if even a branded shop.
pklingen
Posted 2/10/2015 6:28 PM (#752937 - in reply to #752902)

some dealers around my neck of the woods give people who bought thier boat from them special service priority. makes sense to me, and a very good buying point IMO.
Yooper Padre
Posted 2/11/2015 7:02 AM (#752994 - in reply to #752937)

pklingen - 2/10/2015 6:28 PM

some dealers around my neck of the woods give people who bought thier boat from them special service priority. makes sense to me, and a very good buying point IMO.

Good point, especially when you consider that one almost always buys both boat and motor from the same dealership, and the motor needs not only scheduled service, but is more likely to require repair than the boat is. When I had trolling motor problems, as well as electrical trouble (a nearly new battery with a bad cell), they went out of their way to take care of me right away. That means a lot because I want to use my boat for fishing, not waiting for repair.

Fr. K

Edited by Yooper Padre 2/11/2015 7:03 AM