Trolling motor questions
shorty
Posted 4/13/2003 2:22 PM (#66798)
Subject: Trolling motor questions

I am looking at buying a boat that has an auto-pilot with remote, 42lb thrust. The boat is an alumacraft Tournament Pro 175. First is 42lbs enough for this boat on big waters in Canada or do I want a bigger trolling motor. Also, will a 24 volt system actually give you any more power or will it just allow you to run the trolling motor longer before charging? Last, anyone who has used the remote trolling motors, are they dependable and worth the price? Thanks.
ToddM
Posted 4/13/2003 6:37 PM (#66806 - in reply to #66798)
Subject: RE: Trolling motor questions

Shorty, 42lbs is nowhere near enough power for that boat. You definitely need a 24 volt motor and the 65lb auto pilot is a better choice for it. As far as I know the remote system is new for this year and have not heard any feedback, we just bought the upgrade for our auto pilot and will be installing it this week.
lobi
Posted 4/13/2003 8:02 PM (#66811 - in reply to #66798)

I would think that 42 lbs would be a little light but will suffice for a 17 foot alum boat. Do be worried about shaft length. If it is too short your prop is always popping out of the water if there is any waves at all. My only info on the remote steering was advice given to me when I was going to buy one from a friend who had one and didn't like it. He went back to a cable steer. He said with the remote foot control there was no feel for how far you turn the motor. He tended to be over correcting back and forth all the time. With a cable steer you get used to about where the motor is facing and how much pressure turns the boat just how much. You will also save quite a bit by skipping the remote. Use the savings for a good leaning post to steer from while casting and go up to a 50 somthing pound thrust. -lobi
dougj
Posted 4/13/2003 8:28 PM (#66812 - in reply to #66798)

Shorty:

I would guess that 42lbs is enough for most situations. If the wind is blowing real hard just go the other way. I used to use a 28 lb mercury thruster on a 17' boat for a good number of years. Once in a white I would have problems, but if I would just go with the wind I was O.K.

Make sure the shaft is long enough to reach the water in 2' waves or so.. Otherwise it will work most of the time.

On the otherhand a 24 volt system will give you many more hours on the water before you run out of "amps".

The best advise I can give you is to get the biggest and most powerful trolling motor you can afford.

Doug Johnson

sworrall
Posted 4/14/2003 12:20 PM (#66850 - in reply to #66812)

I had a 20' walleye boat with this exact motor on it, and found it to be very adequate under 99% of the conditions I fish. The only time it would be marginal is high current in a river, and then not TOO bad.

I really liked the remote control, too.

stephendawg
Posted 4/14/2003 1:15 PM (#66864 - in reply to #66798)

I never miss an opportunity to weigh in on this topic. You will love the AP. Keep the batteries charged and you'll get along great (providing the shaft lenght is adequate). More poundage would be nice but as Steve said, you'll be fine in most conditions. If you have the old style Remote AP (like one of the 2 that I own) you are still operating the motor from a foot control that looks just like the standard soft wire version. The only difference is the absence of the wire. Latency (a slight delay in the response of the motor to your command) will be the biggest issue you'll have to get used to. I find it very manageable. My preferrence would be the soft wire version because I can still place it virtually anywhere in the boat and not have a significant trip hazzard. And the latency issue is.....well, not an issue. Enjoy your new boat! (we need pictures!)
shorty
Posted 4/14/2003 10:44 PM (#66942 - in reply to #66798)

Thanks for the input. I have a scanner, but have no idea how to post a picture on the board.
stephendawg
Posted 4/14/2003 10:53 PM (#66946 - in reply to #66942)

scan the picture....save as a ".jpg" file.......reduce the picture in your photo editing software to under 150Mb size.......save file as modified version....open up the "reply" section of this post.....select the box at the bottom that says "Attach a file to this thread after posting?" when you're done typing the message.... you should get a new window that allows you to search your PC for the location of the picture you want to attach ......double click the file.....You should be on your way! Not really as complicated as I made it sound. That's why I'm not a teacher for a living. My brother-in-law (who's holding the smallie in the pic below) is. You should've probably asked him! Hope this helps.

Edited by stephendawg 4/14/2003 11:02 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(My Smallie 1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments My Smallie 1.JPG (100KB - 133 downloads)
mikes
Posted 4/15/2003 2:19 AM (#66955 - in reply to #66798)

I bought an 18’ Tracker Tundra last year and it came with a 12-volt, 52lb thrust Motor Guide with a 50 in shaft. The trolling motor was fine under ideal conditions. However, I spent a number of very miserable days on the water last year because it was underpowered and this was magnified significantly due to the shaft being too short. In addition, there were other problems with the motor that compounded the power issue. If I set the motor to run constantly, I couldn’t take my foot off of the control or the motor would immediately turn hard right. I like to fish Mille Lacs Lake, and I spent a number of days out there standing on the bow of my boat in constant 2 footers with an underpowered trolling motor balancing on one foot. It was very difficult to keep the boat where I wanted and it was amazing I caught any fish at all. My boat is currently being outfitted with a 65lb AP with a 60in. shaft.

After last year, my motto when it comes to trolling motors is that it can’t be big enough. Buy the biggest trolling motor you can afford. It will make a big difference in terms of productivity and keeping the frustration levels down.
shorty
Posted 4/16/2003 4:33 PM (#67135 - in reply to #66798)

Ok, so I am looking at a 65lb auto-pilot with the universal sonar. They only make them in the 54" and 60", no 48". My question now is on the Alumacraft tournament pro 175 I just bought is the 54" going to be suitable? Can the shafts be too long where they get in the way?
GMan
Posted 4/17/2003 9:09 AM (#67182 - in reply to #66798)

Shorty, I have same issue with an 18'6" Triton bass boat, and the dealer thought I was a little crazy with such a long shaft, but I'm picking it up tonight. I'm also curious about shaft links for bass boats. Anyone?
Musky Fever
Posted 4/17/2003 9:20 AM (#67184 - in reply to #66798)

Shorty,

Don't short yourself when it comes to length HA HA

Now lets get serious, what I said was true, if you fish in tough conditions or big water with big waves, the longer shaft will keep your motor in the water where it belongs.
shorty
Posted 4/21/2003 11:07 PM (#67627 - in reply to #66798)

Gander Mtn. got the best of me tonight.

2 auto-pilots with universal sonar, (1 for me, 1 for a buddy) 24 volt,65 lb thrust,54" shaft.

2 trojan batteries

1 onboard charger

1 pedestal seat

several small misc. items

Damage to credit card: $2050+.

Wife that understands all things were NECESSARY: priceless!
sworrall
Posted 4/22/2003 9:24 AM (#67673 - in reply to #67627)

You will like the motor, for sure! Way to spend, if there were more guys like you out there, the economy would be back on it's feet already!