charging trolling batteries
gerryskid
Posted 4/12/2003 9:43 PM (#66761)
Subject: charging trolling batteries

can someone please tell me why my manual tells me to disconnect trolling motor before charing my batteries and what the reprocussions are if i do not.seems like a pain to disconnect each time being that i dont have a plug.thanks
Sponge
Posted 4/13/2003 8:13 AM (#66776 - in reply to #66761)
Subject: RE: charging trolling batteries

I basically think to prevent frying your trolling motor. I just found out last week that my "OFF" switch doesn't work on mine; I was moving the pedal up to the front deck, the switch was positioned on off, but the blade spun when my hand hit the tab. I checked it out, and sure enough, the OFF switch is gone; I pretty much have to unplug mine everytime now. Perhaps someone knows what you can do as far as your system goes.
Dewman
Posted 4/13/2003 6:06 PM (#66804 - in reply to #66761)

I also used to disconnect the wires each time, then I took the chance and left them on...No Problem!

I make sure the motor is turned off, and just clamp the charger right on the battery. So far so good...

bassin
Posted 4/13/2003 7:02 PM (#66808 - in reply to #66761)

You should only have to disconnect the trolloing motor if it is a model with the infinite speed. I charged my motors without this feature for years without a problem.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 4/14/2003 7:03 PM (#66909 - in reply to #66761)

If the trolling motor has electronic controls it could be to protect the controls from overvoltage (voltage above manufacturers recommended)  or voltage spikes generated from connecting or disconnecting the charger leads w/charger power on .

For most 12V batteries standard charging voltages are 13.7V float ( 2.28V/cell) and 14.4V equalize (2.4V/cell). However, some cheaper chargers can produce voltages in excess of these. I would suspect the manufacturer is worried about protecting the trolling motor electronics.

Al Warner

http://www.zaltnad.com