Otter Boats VS. Traditional Planer Boards
Team_Ryba
Posted 12/21/2014 11:15 AM (#744942)
Subject: Otter Boats VS. Traditional Planer Boards

We have recently purchased a Big Jon planer board mast and having done some investigating on the internet about planer boards, we have noticed that there are two different types of planers used for musky fishing, Otter Boats and the traditional type of planer boards.
My question to everyone out there running a mast type system is; which do you think is better for trolling musky baits and why?

Also, does adding a half keel to the otter boats help in this regard? Are they worth the additional cost?

- TR
woodieb8
Posted 12/21/2014 5:07 PM (#744988 - in reply to #744942)
Subject: Re: Otter Boats VS. Traditional Planer Boards

here on st clair,most prefer good ole wooden boards. reasoning otters don't pull hard and waddle along. just my views. bigger wood boards pull outward harder and handle multiple baits easier.. we build them up to 36inches counting board stagger. cedar and try to get 1 actual inch thickness.
esoxbuckeye
Posted 12/22/2014 4:46 PM (#745099 - in reply to #744942)

Anyone have a good set of plans to make wooden boards?
Mace
Posted 12/25/2014 2:06 PM (#745368 - in reply to #745099)

I bought a set of triple boards form Riviera tackle. I had a few issues with them riding too nose high, so I took some lead and fastened it to the inside front board. It now works great running multiple baits, including sliders. If your interested, I can give you the location and amount of lead added.