Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> metal filings lower unit

Reply New post
Message Subject: metal filings lower unit
kirkkopplin
Posted 11/24/2014 10:09 AM (#741446)
Subject: metal filings lower unit

What is acceptable as far as metal fillings on your lower unit drain plug. This year when I winterized I had more filings than years past.
Top H2O
Posted 11/25/2014 8:32 AM (#741610 - in reply to #741446)
Subject: RE: metal filings lower unit

How old is the motor ?
I would guess that the first yr. there would be more metal filings found on the plug, and less metal on the plug as time goes on....... Unless something inside is not right ?
I'm no expert, Anybody else care to weigh in ?
VMS
Posted 11/25/2014 1:40 PM (#741648 - in reply to #741446)
Subject: Re: metal filings lower unit

Hiya,

Some filings every year would be normal as you are running metal on metal with very little lube in between gearing.

If there are filings in the oil that you can spot with a naked eye, then I would say there is more cause for concern.

If you have a bunch and they are bigger than particles of fine sawdust, it may be beneficial to have it torn down and checked....otherwise it's gonna bother you until you know.

Steve
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/26/2014 9:13 AM (#741729 - in reply to #741648)

I would say definitely a cause for concern, like Steve said. I would add that removing and servicing the lower unit would be fairly inexpensive if there's nothing wrong, probably about the price of a weekend trip. It's always best to get things of this nature repaired in the off season, they can also replace the impeller, and correctly repair any skeg damage at the same time
CastawayFishing
Posted 12/12/2014 7:34 PM (#743925 - in reply to #741446)

Have it stripped down and checked would be my vote. If you opt not to, make sure to change oil several times during the season to monitor if the problem is getting worse. A new lower is a big chunk of change.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)