Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> A Good Net Man Will...

Message Subject: A Good Net Man Will...
Musky Face
Posted 11/23/2014 12:37 PM (#741299 - in reply to #741166)
Subject: Re: A Good Net Man Will...

Don't ##%# up and net it like you mean it. Don't limp wrist it. It's not that hard. It's not brain surgery.
Dog Lake
Posted 11/23/2014 1:57 PM (#741315 - in reply to #741166)

A good ne man will...
Get to the net quickly
Tell the angler fighting the fish "Ready"
Hold the bag against the handle of the net with lead hand while ready
Let the angler call the shot when to net the fish
Lift the net when fishes head is in the middle of the hoop
assist with release tools and take great pictures

The angler can help the net man out by calmly communicating what the fish is doing. With a fish close to the boat keep it simple. We use "not yet", "here we go" and "NOW!". Praise and reward good net jobs and be ready when its your turn as netman.
39 degrees
Posted 11/23/2014 2:01 PM (#741317 - in reply to #741166)
Subject: RE: A Good Net Man Will...

A lot of the responsibility of getting the fish in the net is on the angler who has the fish on the line.
Before you even start fishing you need to discuss what your expectations are. A lot of yelling and screaming orders to the net man can be detrimental. The only two things I try to say is " I got one" and then "its ready to be netted". I expect him to get ready with the net after he hears "i got one" when he hears "it's ready to be be netted "it is up to the net man to decide the best course of action as i lead the fish in.
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/23/2014 2:20 PM (#741325 - in reply to #741289)

Although I don't think I can do better than my previous post “a good net man Will…” Schultz.

But I'll still give it a shot.

A good net man will… take control of everything else in the boat.  I think it's pretty obvious that the net man should drop what they are doing immediately to get the net ready, but I also think it's important (if there's enough time), to start clearing rods/equipment out of the way, and get the release tools/camera on deck and ready, if the water is rough, getting the boat moving with the current is important to me while trolling.  It's not just about the actual netting process for me either, I think it's just as important to have things ready to go before a fish is hooked, maintaining a state of “net readiness” will help to ensure a safe/quick release.  

I absolutely agree with the sentiment of staying out of the way, especially when the fish is close to the boat. And to each their own, but I will normally hold the bag against the handle and scoop as Todd and others have suggested. About the last thing I want when I'm fighting a fish is for somebody to just stick the net in the water and put the onus of responsibility on me to get the fish into the net, a large net doesn't move very far in the water. Regarding inflating the bag, I think this is a non-issue because it will automatically do this while scooping if executed properly. 

In my boat with a less experienced anglers on the rod, I will tell them to “power the fish into the net” at the correct time because I've seen plenty of instances where they think their job is done just getting the fish alongside the boat.  I do not envy guides who get blamed for a bad net job, when it's really the angler's fault because they don't keep pressure on the fish all the way into the net. Once the head enters the rim, I try to give it slack line.

BMuskyX
Posted 11/23/2014 9:30 PM (#741396 - in reply to #741166)

...be three and a half years old!!!!!!!!!! My son has very little interest in actually catching bluegill, however, he makes me fish for them with his little dock demon rod. When I hook one I franticlly yell, "where's my net man, I need my net man" and he excitedly scoops them up....with a butterfly net no less.

Jaimy
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/23/2014 10:11 PM (#741403 - in reply to #741396)

BMuskyX - 11/23/2014 9:30 PM ...be three and a half years old!!!!!!!!!! My son has very little interest in actually catching bluegill, however, he makes me fish for them with his little dock demon rod. When I hook one I franticlly yell, "where's my net man, I need my net man" and he excitedly scoops them up....with a butterfly net no less. Jaimy

Yep, got a be the best net man!  Though he be small, he is fierce with his little demon dock rod.

wavridr
Posted 11/24/2014 7:50 AM (#741420 - in reply to #741166)

To me the FIRST thing the net man has to do is reel in his bait and lay his rod down along the gunnel of the boat with the bait INSIDE the boat.  You have time even with boat side hits.  It's the guy with the fish on whos responsibility it is to pay out some line and give the net man a chance to get ready.  There is no need to be in panic mode.  I see this a lot where guys just lay the rod down were ever.

Both boat partners need to be calm

Never reach, that's just asking for a disaster

never try to net a fish that is tight along the side of the boat 

Hold bag with his lead hand at the base of the hoop with one finger and drop as you scoop (it will open itself and always head first to the bottom of the bag)

brianT
Posted 11/24/2014 9:01 AM (#741433 - in reply to #741166)

A good net man will not allow you to walk a 54" slob around the boat after she smokes you on the 8.

http://youtu.be/HK9ig1i4xbc
MOJOcandy101
Posted 11/24/2014 10:21 AM (#741449 - in reply to #741166)

Get so excited over my fist fish and drop the net net in the water and almost dive in after it.

X2 on getting the dog out of the way.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 11/24/2014 10:35 AM (#741451 - in reply to #741166)

A good netman will.....

.....get the job done.

end of story.
rodbender
Posted 11/24/2014 11:14 AM (#741459 - in reply to #741451)

MyliesPlace(Justin) - 11/24/2014 10:35 AM

A good netman will.....

.....get the job done.

end of story.

Yup! Maybe Crack you a beer too after release.
Doc Obvious
Posted 11/24/2014 11:53 AM (#741467 - in reply to #741166)

...knows when to shut up and not say anything after the big ones gets off
Flambeauski
Posted 11/24/2014 12:31 PM (#741475 - in reply to #741166)

Will perform seppuku if a fish is lost due to their mistake.
greenhyena
Posted 11/24/2014 4:44 PM (#741517 - in reply to #741166)

Will get the fish, whether the net is frozen in the ski locker or not!
catfishonthelake
Posted 11/25/2014 10:16 AM (#741618 - in reply to #741166)

A good net man will be waiting with net in hand less than 3 seconds after you say "fish on." Last thing you want to see is your fish shaking off boatside and your partner with a rod still in his hand.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 11/25/2014 10:32 AM (#741621 - in reply to #741166)

Tolerate being critiqued and griped about online.
achotrod
Posted 11/25/2014 10:45 AM (#741624 - in reply to #741166)

Will listen to the person with the fish on. Ive lost to many fish from the net man being to excited or not listening when you tell them to get the net.
BigC
Posted 11/25/2014 11:11 AM (#741629 - in reply to #741166)

Will ask if you want the boat slowed down first before slowing it down.
Will put it in neutral only after you give the ok.
Will add the waypoint as soon as possible to your gps unit without you asking.
Will talk to you or listen to you depending on what the situation calls for.

Will be as pumped or even more pumped than you when she hits the bottom of the bag!

Edited by BigC 11/25/2014 11:12 AM
buckshotter
Posted 11/26/2014 10:09 AM (#741741 - in reply to #741166)

A good netman is no further than your reflection in the mirror.

Give me a person who has an established record of catching big muskies while fishing alone.

That's the person I want doing my net job, otherwise I will net Miss Piggie myself.
muskyrat
Posted 11/27/2014 8:52 AM (#741840 - in reply to #741166)

A good net man will make sure the net bag is back in the boat while taking pictures. Many a net has slipped overboard while taking pictures. Also fill the handle with foam to prevent sinking.
muskie24/7
Posted 11/27/2014 9:24 AM (#741850 - in reply to #741289)

I just hope he's doing more netting than me!
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/27/2014 11:41 AM (#741868 - in reply to #741741)

buckshotter - 11/26/2014 10:09 AM A good netman is no further than your reflection in the mirror. Give me a person who has an established record of catching big muskies while fishing alone. That's the person I want doing my net job, otherwise I will net Miss Piggie myself.

I'll take an inexperienced net man over netting my fish solo any day of the week. For me anyway; a little instruction and the job is made easier with 4 hands. Netting fish solo in rough water was probably one of the more challenging aspects for me to get comfortable with. I'm not a small guy, and it still takes every bit of me get the job done with a big fish in rough water, and although I enjoy the challenge now, I blew the first couple solo net jobs.

In my boat though; I'll usually give the rod to a less experienced angler once I know it's a big fish, so it's super rare to have an inexperienced net man for me. I honestly get more of a kick out of being part of somebody getting their largest ever, or their first 50” than catching it myself.  I have a friend who said it's got to matter to me, but after so many miles, I honestly enjoy the chase more than the catch most of the time.

I 100% agree that a complete angler should also be able to net his own fish though. My method is to put the net handle between my legs angled into the water, reel the fish up close and then power her into the net while obviously holding the rod in one hand, and net handle in the other. It's it's a timing deal, just like with 2 guys, but IMHO a lot less room for error. BTW, if you're getting your fish hooked in the netting close the rim, it's either from not centering the fish, or more than likely, keeping the line too tight after the scoop.  I've found that it's helpful to point the rod tip at the net right after the fish enters the bag.  

A few random thoughts;

I always use shorter trolling leaders solo because a a long leader makes the netting process difficult.

I try to remember to keep the net away from the side of my boat for a few seconds after netting to avoid hook scratches in the boats finish from the fish thrashing.

I ALWAYS use a welders glove to un-hook the fish in the net or for a water release. However, it usually takes two hands to get the lure untangled from a net (very dangerous), so I've taken to covering the lure with a chamois for protection when removing the fish.  

Edited by Jerry Newman 11/27/2014 12:45 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(in.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments in.jpg (21KB - 368 downloads)
buckshotter
Posted 11/27/2014 6:17 PM (#741938 - in reply to #741166)

So, in-experienced netters for the juveniles, you're the netter for the Miss Piggys...

Rough water is rough water and with Miss Piggy on the end of the line, a doe in the headlights isn't going to matter.

Seal the deal, enjoy the Complete Angler, you've caught the heart throb yourself and all by yourself.

You enter slow motion instead of numbness of nuttiness and fully anticipate the right moment because you're in control of rod, of boat and wind, of fish position for netting and sealing the netting deal. Because, you're one of the few who have that experience to know and the matter to react and seal this deal.

Words may never jump start all motors...
Duke1
Posted 12/4/2014 10:06 AM (#742648 - in reply to #741420)

wavridr wrote- 11/24/2014 9:50 AM

"To me the FIRST thing the net man has to do is reel in his bait and lay his rod down along the gunnel of the boat with the bait INSIDE the boat." 

I have fished with 2 guys who upon hooking a fish, expect their fishing partner to immediately stop reeling and grab the net. I don't care how close to the boat my fishing buddies hook a fish I am always going to reel my bait all the way in first. When I have $500 wrapped up in my rod/reel combo I'm not having it pulled into the lake because my bait snagged on the bottom as the boat drifted away from it. As mentioned earlier I don't like seeing my net man setting the net in the water waiting for me to steer the fish in. This promotes fish snagging the bag on the outside of the hoop when they make an unexpected run. Hold the net out of the water with the excess of the bag held against the handle until ready to scoop the fish, then release your grip on the excess bag.
MuskyHopeful
Posted 12/4/2014 11:07 PM (#742764 - in reply to #741166)

You don't want the fish to see the net and start thrashing. Keep it hidden behind your body. Act nonchalant. Maybe even whistle a little or scratch your nuts so it looks to the fish like you don't even see it. Then, as it's reeled along the side of the boat, whip it around and stab down into the water right in front of it. This is called ambush netting. It's not a common technique, but there have been studies confirming it's effectiveness. The bonus is the fish are stunned into passivity by the quickness of the net job, allowing for easy hook removal, hoisting, and posing for pictures. Then chuck 'em back for the next guy to catch.

Kevin
Imobley
Posted 12/5/2014 6:00 AM (#742774 - in reply to #741166)

all of that stuff is good, but a great net man will take the blame when your wife is mad about you making her late to that wedding, dinner date, play, concert, or whatever plans she made on a September full moon weekend
BrianF.
Posted 2/4/2015 11:26 AM (#751885 - in reply to #741166)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBg7k4HS_9w&feature=youtu.be

While watching the trailer for the MH episode next week, what occurred to me is that the vid also demonstrates a perfect net job by Mr. Saric. You know the net job is done right when there is no drama surrounding the netting of the fish whatsoever.

Brian
BNelson
Posted 2/4/2015 2:15 PM (#751918 - in reply to #741166)

while that is a good net job, what I have noticed on shows like MH, Keyes, etc...they have the net stored, or the handle not extended etc...that will definitely cost you fish imo... the net should be ready, in easy reach of both guys, for those figure 8 hits and lightly hooked fish... see a lot of shows where they are scrambling to get the net ready ... not a good idea imo!

Edited by BNelson 2/4/2015 2:16 PM
BrianF.
Posted 2/4/2015 2:22 PM (#751919 - in reply to #741166)

Yes, true, was just looking at how his timing and that of the angler came together nicely, with the bag in the water and inflated, and a scoop by Saric in one smooth motion when the fish was calm. That's how you do it IMHO.

Edited by BrianF. 2/4/2015 2:23 PM
gopackgo
Posted 2/6/2015 10:57 AM (#752266 - in reply to #741166)

. . . doesn't throw back at the fish you missed -- let's YOU continue to entice it!
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)