Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fox Chain Stocking

Message Subject: Fox Chain Stocking
Jim Stella
Posted 11/17/2014 9:41 AM (#740508)
Subject: Fox Chain Stocking

Has anyone noticed an improvement in muskie fishing or the quality of muskies on the Fox Chain. I don't get out there much anymore but I've heard some good things from friends who do. I've noticed that the quality of the muskies seems to be improving, I've heard of several solid 50 inchers last year and in the last couple years, one of them was a nice Fathers day fish for a buddy of mine that was made even better because he had his two young boys with him and they took turns reeling her in.

Ten or fifteen years ago you would only hear of a rumor of someone having seen a big fish out there and hitting that magical 50" mark was pretty much unheard of. The shad have also been prevalent over the last few years, huge schools and over wintering, whereas ten or fifteen years ago you would rarely see any in chain and if you did they would never survive the winter. Any thoughts?
achotrod
Posted 11/17/2014 10:11 AM (#740511 - in reply to #740508)
Subject: Re: Fox Chain Stocking

Seems a lot of stocked IL lakes are doing pretty well. Its on and off on the chain but are fish in there. As far as big fish I know of one legit 50 this year. Agreed though 15yrs ago I would have never fished IL for skis.
Top H2O
Posted 11/17/2014 10:57 AM (#740521 - in reply to #740511)

Being from Mn.... I kind of like the Fox Chain. (Only in the Spring or Fall)
I only fished it about three times, (maybe 50hrs.) but I like how it is set up. There are definitely a lot of Shad in there and I assume the muskies are getting bigger than ever before.
I think some of the fishing reports that were once a weekly occurrence have dropped off, because people are a bit more secretive now days.

I'm wondering when the PMTT will go back there...... It's been a while.

Jerome
ToddM
Posted 11/17/2014 1:14 PM (#740544 - in reply to #740508)

I dont fish it but know many people who do. Numbers are up, so much so the state only stocked a little over 1500 fish due to excellent survey results. The forage is there to keep a full stocking regiment though.

Edited by ToddM 11/17/2014 1:15 PM
one last cast
Posted 11/17/2014 3:55 PM (#740564 - in reply to #740508)

The quality and has definitely increased. I seem to be running into larger (length and girth) fish more frequently than in the past. Have heard and seen pictures of many very nice ones out of there this year especially. Part of that is the stocking and part is the shad food base. I think we (South of the Border ) have put close to a hundred grand in fish in the chain over the past twenty years or so. The state has put a ton of fish in as well. I think we need to continue stocking rather heavily due to the fact that these fish can get out of the system both north and south via the river.

The diet of these fish has changed from predominantly bluegills, perch, and white bass to shad primarily one would think. I think this is what making them heavier than ever before. Frank Jacubicek from the IL DNR will be giving a presentation this week in Antioch and we can bounce a few of those questions off of.him.

Would love to hear input from some other anglers who fish the chain often as well.

Edited by one last cast 11/17/2014 5:01 PM
Jim Stella
Posted 11/19/2014 12:25 AM (#740781 - in reply to #740564)

If anyone is interested in talking with Frank Jacubicek about the Fox Chain stocking and growing forage base or anything else he will be speaking at the Antioch Moose club this Wednesday night at 7:30pm. I think the stocking that has been done by South of the Border and the State over the past twenty five years has really paid off.

Now if we can just get the pleasure boaters to use some commone sense so you don't have to worry about losing your life out there in the summer time, especially on the weekends then all will be good.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)