Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Need some advice

Message Subject: Need some advice
MuffPistol
Posted 11/11/2014 9:11 PM (#739695)
Subject: Need some advice

Im a young muskie angler, only been in this game for about 2 years, i have tried everything on this lake im fishing in PA, it is loaded with pike, but has few muskies, but the muskies that are seen are very very impressive. i cant get one to commit to me, its a deep glacial lake with a lot of weeds and a lot of bait. if anyone has any new idea's for me to try, (besides trolling or live bait) dont be afraid to help a kid out
ShutUpNFish
Posted 11/12/2014 10:41 AM (#739773 - in reply to #739695)
Subject: Re: Need some advice

Conneaut Lake....State record came from there as well...54lbs! After about Memorial Day that place turns into a ZOO with pleasure boaters and all the cottages built on that place over the years....Kinda sad to see one of our few natural lakes ruined that way. I have caught lots of fish there years ago...Put your time in and keep at it, you will eventually get one of those hogs. I suggest fishing VERY early before the boaters get out or even after dark in the peak season. We always did well on the deeper weed edges on dive and rise jerk baits. If you use spinner baits, you can't keep the pike off....Good Luck!

Edited by ShutUpNFish 11/12/2014 10:42 AM
WiscoMusky
Posted 11/13/2014 12:25 AM (#739892 - in reply to #739695)

Im from wisconsin, so I dont know much of anything about PA lakes... It sounds like you are asking for help with fish that are following. In general though, I think the keys to getting a ski to commit are dependent on lure choice and proper presentation. When you have a fish follow, I make sure my rod tip is plunged 1-2 feet in the water, so your first L-turn is pretty deep underwater. When I make the 8 or oval, make sure to change depth, direction and speed in conjunction with eachother. Think keeping the lure deep in the middle of the transitions and bring the lure high (near the surface) during the outside turns and far from the boat. And if you are using rubber, stop the bait on the high outside turns. Hope this all helps!!!!
byteme90k
Posted 11/13/2014 10:58 AM (#739921 - in reply to #739695)

You might want to take a look at Woodcock Creek Lake as another option. Known as kind of a numbers lake but there are some big ones in there too.

Mikeh
spoonpluggergino
Posted 11/17/2014 10:21 AM (#740514 - in reply to #739695)

Hello Young Man
My name is Gino Testone, I have been fishing for well over 30 years. At one time I almost give up fishing, due to when ever I went to a lake I was alway's lost , in the sense of where to fish. My lucky day came when I went to a seminar and I got introduced to SPOONPLUGGING, that changed everything to when I went fishing I knew exactly what I needed to do, no matter what lake I went to. Now spoonpluggers do a lot of trolling , but they do go on the cast and do everything that every one else is doing. You do not have to troll at all. The knoledge that you get from studying spoonplugging it's a wealth of information. You will know exactly when and where to fish, no matter what body of water you are fishing.
I do not work or endorse for monetary of spoonplugging, just want to pass it on expecially to someone starting out fishing. Mr Buck Perry is the gentileman that started all this, he has passed away many years ago, but has taught many anglers and give us a wealth of information. You can go on his website www.buckperry.com ther you can go to the educational material, the book that I recomend , we call it the green Book, but it is listed as Spoonplugging Your Guide To Lunker Catches, and really that is allyou need, they have other study material if you get interested , the green book covers pretty much all of it. If you do get the book you need to study it and become your bible. I am 69 years old and i hope to ear from you in the later future to see how things went for you if you take up on spoonplugging knoledge
Good luck
spoonpluggergino
I am from another country Italy so my grammar and spelling is marginal, hopefully you will be able to understand, what Iam writing
ToddM
Posted 11/17/2014 1:10 PM (#740543 - in reply to #739695)

Well you started by giving yourself the best screen name ever. Great basement fodder you have become!
ESOX Maniac
Posted 11/18/2014 8:46 PM (#740759 - in reply to #740543)

ToddM - 11/17/2014 1:10 PM

Well you started by giving yourself the best screen name ever. Great basement fodder you have become!

Phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttttttttt! I almost lost it on this one ToddM!
ESOX Maniac
Posted 11/18/2014 8:53 PM (#740764 - in reply to #739695)
Subject: RE: Need some advice

If you mean clear trout water/glacial lake- slow down or if that fails, speed it up. Its impossible to take a lure away from a muskie that really wants it!

Obviously what you are doing now is not working change up presentations and lures. Black bucktails are always hot baits-even on trout water.

Have fun!
Al
RiverMan
Posted 11/19/2014 12:18 AM (#740780 - in reply to #739695)

We fish some very clear lakes here in Washington state, so clear you can easily see a coin on the bottom in 20 feet of water and you can also see the musky holding on downed trees. What works here is buck tails and smaller crankbaits, savage gear 4 plays the one with a lip on it and xraps in silver colors. Here the baits need to be downsized from typical musky gear. I have also had some luck with soft swimbaits. Good luck.

Jed

Edited by RiverMan 11/19/2014 12:20 AM
spoonpluggergino
Posted 11/19/2014 6:40 AM (#740787 - in reply to #739695)

some really great advice are being given here in the form of presentation. Clear water glacial type lakes are the most difficult to catch fish. I will give a little bit of specific that the spoonpluggers use, has to do with DEPTH an SPEED and one of the tools that we use to catch many Muskie will over 40 inches is a BLADE bait about 3 inches in length, you may have to modify the hook size to a slightly larger size. When we want a slow speed we use a blade bait or a jig usually we anchor on a known structure cast the blade in to deep water and bring it back either hopping the bottom or slow retrieve keeping contact with the bottom.
Good Luck
Gino Testone

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)