Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Night Fishing Ban for Muskies in MN

Message Subject: Night Fishing Ban for Muskies in MN
joshb
Posted 10/29/2014 12:35 PM (#737559)
Subject: Night Fishing Ban for Muskies in MN

Before anyone jumps on me about the title of this post . . .
it was meant to get your attention and I think restricted boat access hours are headed your way no matter where you live or fish. Let’s act now instead of waiting to see what is next.

Please read below. . .

What would you do if you were on your way to your favorite muskie lake to go fishing . . . and when you arrived, you discovered the access was locked with a chain and padlock?

Your fishing trip just got cancelled. After doing some research, you discovered that the access of your favorite lake would now only be open during certain restrictive hours. You work a normal 8-4 or 9-5 job and the new hours make it impossible for you to fish your favorite lake anymore. Your fishing buddy is self-employed, so he can still fish the lake, but he too is disappointed because he can no longer fish the key feeding window times in the morning or evening when he catches most of his fish . . . not to mention he is misses fishing there with his buddy.

Eventually, you and your buddy move on to a different lake. The fishing is not quite as good there, and the lake is crowded because many of the other boats that used to fish the “other lake” had to find a new place to go as well due to the restrictive hours. Two years later . . . you are also greeted at your new lake with a chain and padlock. What would you do?

This is a very real situation and has already occurred on the Minneapolis area lakes. Which lake is next in this story is anyone’s guess.

As you may already know, the boat access hours on the Minneapolis city lakes (including Lake Harriet, Lake Calhoun, and Nokomis) have become more and more restrictive over the past two years and have been locked with a chain padlock during their ever increasing closed hours. Beginning this November, the landing will be closed and locked with a chain and pad lock each day at 5:00 PM. Whether, you fish these lakes or not, this issue effects all of us as it sets the precedent that it is acceptable to restrict the public's access to water that is also supposed to be public.

On Friday, November 21st the Minneapolis Parks are offering a special fishing night on Lake Harriet in which they are allowing boats to fish until 10:00 PM. This is a test/pilot event and it is my understanding that future events and boat access hours may be determined by the number that show up to this event.

In my opinion, they are purposely doing this at the end of the season so that nobody shows up and they can use it as an argument to be more restrictive with ramp hours if nobody shows up.

Let’s surprise them! I would like to see as many boats show up for this as possible.

Also, I have fished all over muskie land in my travels over the years and would say night fishing in the late fall (especially on the city lakes) is probably the best pattern I have come across in terms angling hours per muskie. Some years, the average has been less than an hour per muskie which is outstanding.

Also, if you know any walleye anglers or bass anglers, this issue also effects them and their future access. Harriet is also a sleeper walleye lake and we catch some very big walleyes at night accidentally on our muskie baits. Let’s get boats of all sorts out there.

Hope to see you all there. This is a unique opportunity, to make a statement and make a difference and all you have to do is show up and go fishing.

Note: This is a different issue but worth noting . . . The park board has also informed me that they have implemented an ordinance that prohibits fishing guides from guiding on the city lakes. If the park board deems you are a qualified guide, they will grant you a permit for $50 and you must also agree to pay them 20% of your daily guiding profits! If you are a guide, I am guessing this may concern you if other cities/counties follow suit. How they can even do this legally is beyond me.

If you are passionate about this issue or want to prevent it from happening to your lake. I would encourage you show up for the event and/or contact the following people with your concerns.

Brad Bourne – Park Commissioner District 6 (which includes Harriet and Calhoun)
[email protected] 612-230-6443, Ext. 6
Deb Pilger [email protected]. 612-313-7728
Natalie Brown 612-313-7763 [email protected]

I will cut and paste an additional post below with additional information as to the alleged reasons the ramp closures occurred and potential alternatives to ramp closures.

Edited by joshb 11/21/2014 6:20 PM
PHISHMAN
Posted 10/29/2014 12:51 PM (#737566 - in reply to #737559)
Subject: Re: Night Fishing Ban for Muskies in MN

Thank you for info. I'll be there for sure with my musky rigged 14ft john boat.
PHISHMAN
Posted 10/29/2014 12:55 PM (#737567 - in reply to #737559)

If you can lift the chained fence high enough to get your rig out you are okay to use the launch as late as you like just like the people with their small boats and canoes. I spoke with the district 6 representative a he didn't disagree there is nothing they can do if you pull your rig out under the fence. He said there is no restrictions to watercraft entering the lake if it fits under the chained fence like canoes or small watercraft that is hauled in the back of a pickup truck and unloaded at the launch. He did say that if you cut the lock or chain that it's destruction of city property and you would be fined if caught. But it is okay to pull boat out of lake if it fits under the gate.

Edited by PHISHMAN 10/29/2014 3:49 PM
Hammskie
Posted 10/29/2014 1:47 PM (#737575 - in reply to #737567)

Public waters baby! Let's keep it that way. I'll be there.
PHISHMAN
Posted 10/29/2014 3:41 PM (#737580 - in reply to #737559)

November 5th at 5:30 pm there is a public meeting held by the park and rec. at 2117 W River rd Minneapolis. The first hour is open to public comment.
joshb
Posted 10/29/2014 8:32 PM (#737615 - in reply to #737580)

Thanks PHISHMAN for the info about the meeting. Unfortunately, I will be out of town that day. I strongly encourage you and anyone else to attend that cares about this issue especially if you happen to be a resident of Minneapolis.

Here is a cut and paste of the some the old posts regarding this from over a year a go. To give you all some background on previous discussions. Also please note the original post expressed concern about newly implemented 10 PM closures. Since the original post, the ramp closures have become more restrictive now close at 8:00 PM and even 5:00 PM some months.

"I am wondering how everyone feels about the ban on night fishing for muskies in Minnesota since it has already begun on a handful of lakes this year?

Maybe we can do a poll on which lakes we think will be next . . . My guess is Lake Minnetonka.

For those of you unaware, the boat landings at Lake Harriet, Calhoun, and Nokomis are now closed to night fishing and locked with chain and padlock from 10 PM-6 AM.

If you are concerned about these lakes or maybe that your favorite lake will be next. I encourage you to contact the following people at the MN DNR and City of Minneapolis.

Deb Pilger [email protected]. 612-313-7728
Natalie Brown 612-313-7763 [email protected]

If you are resident of Minneapolis I would also encourage you to contact the Park Board Commissioner.

Here are the contacts at the DNR regarding this matter.

Info (DNR) ([email protected]); Ellison, Daryl G (DNR) ([email protected]); Parsons, Brad G (DNR) ([email protected]) ([email protected]) ([email protected])[email protected]

I have respectfully communicated my concerns about this matter with all of these people but I am just one person. They need to hear from us all. I can provide more information on this thread at a later time. But, I think it might be best to aim your questions at these people instead of me. I think simply expressing some concern and asking questions might be a good route to go at this point because it requires them to respond and and have a dialogue versus ignore you if you are just going to complain (not that there isn't plenty to complain about.)

By the way, I have been night fishing these lakes for the last 15 years and they have not been closed after 10 PM despite what some people might say/think.

You may also find both the MN DNR and MPls Park Board's Mission Statement's useful as they both talk about recreational opportunities which this action clearly takes away.

I would also like to challenge you all not respond to this thread unless you have contacted one of the above people. If you have time to type a few characters here. . . please take the time to cut and paste them and send them off to the proper officials.

Thank you.

Apologies if the title is misleading. It was meant to get your attention and it appears to be fairly effective.

What I meant is you can't fish at night out of a boat due to the locked gates. Since most of the people on this site fish out of boats for muskies I thought framing it that way would be most effective in getting your attention and it is pretty accurate. You can't fish for muskies out of a boat so essentially it is banned. Yes walleye anglers and other boat users are effected too but since everyone here pretty much cares about the muskies,I thought it made sense to frame it that way.

What is troubling to me is that nobody seems to care.

Yes, I suppose you could fish for muskie from shore or keep your boat in all night until 6:00 AM but are you going to be OK with that if that if this is the way all the lakes in MN are including your favorite muskie lake?

I know there is a wide array of experience levels regarding the muskie anglers on this site. In case you are fairly to new to the sport, you should know that typically you can catch more muskies in four hours of night fishing than the combined 16 hours of daylight on most muskie waters with rivers maybe being the exception.

Catching them is going to get a lot harder if we can't fish at night.
Regarding And the OP seems to contradict his post with the following:

"By the way, I have been night fishing these lakes for the last 15 years and they have not been closed after 10 PM despite what some people might say/think."

I mentioned this because some people from the park board or DNR may claim the landing has always been closed at 10 PM. That is false but depending on who you talk to they may try to tell you that as one person tried to with me before I set them straight.

Just reviewed the old thread you included Steve. There is some false information there from mojo 1269 which may have led people to fall on one side or the other of the issue. And mojo this is not an attack on you or any hard feelings. I think your intentions were good and you were sharing your insights based on your experiences. But you have always been able to fish late out there. You just have to know where to park.

Wow these are not the responses I expected to see. I guess personally, I feel like I am now banned from night fishing these lakes and I am also concerned that there are more lakes to come in MN.

Rather than argue on semantics and the definitions of the words such as "banned" etc. . . I guess it's not that people don't care, they just don't seem to see it the same way I do and I thought maybe they would. I guess maybe I am the one out in left field.

I was just trying to encourage everyone to make calls and send emails and ask questions not necessarily complaining but asking some questions and seeking information so that the city and the DNR hears from you and become aware that many people "care".

Pointer Pride . .. regarding your comment "You also can't seem to grasp the distinction between the MNDNR and the Mpls. Park system. It is my understanding that the park system has made this decision. Please correct me if I'm wrong, however you'll certainly understand why I'll have trouble believing you. You haven't really established much credibility thus far."

The Park Board made the decision. However, the DNR is "currently doing some research to determine what the DNR’s stance is on this site." and yes that is a real live factual quote from a DNR official regarding this matter quoted from an email.

My thinking is the DNR will be making decisions about other lakes in the future and it is important to let them know we are concerned.

Regarding your comment "Could you please provide a credible link to the idea that this will be the norm at all lakes in Minnesota? I won't wait up for it, however, as it isn't out there."

I don't have a link but I do have some comments from a MN DNR official that concern me . . . "Governmental units throughout the state are trying to strike the right balance of limiting introduction of invasive aquatic organisms while simultaneously maintaining access. Determining a good course is unlikely to be easy or pleasing to everyone, especially those desiring unimpeded 24-hour boat access. It is in MN DNR Fisheries’ interest to provide or support fishing opportunities AND healthy aquatic communities. Allowing spread of invasive species into lakes jeopardizes both."

I guess to me the comment about unimpeded 24-hour boat access is kind of the writing on the wall.

But hey I guess we can still fish from shore so it won't really be a "ban". I guess I was wrong.

I also have some potential solutions to offer as well. I was just hoping this conversation would have evolved in a different way . . .

Until I have more time . . . sorry to sign off without offering them up. (please no attacks for that) I will be back when I have time.

Hi Guys,

I am back. Here are a few ideas/solutions. Please note I am not sure all of these a good and/or will solve the issue or be a good choice. Please feel free to attack the ideas and point out potential problems with each. No need to attack the poster though.

For the city lakes: What about a gate system similar to lake independence. It would not allow access to the lake after 10 PM but you could stay as late as you wanted and when you want to leave there is a sensor that lets you out but not in. This still restricts access in a way (which I am not a fan of) but it would be the lesser of the evils and allow people to fish at night as long as they put in before 10 which I think almost everyone does anyway. I think there might also be potential to close it 9:00 PM instead this way and maybe open hour earlier at 5:00 for the morning anglers.

Since Minneapolis Parks really just cares about boats going in versus going out. I think this might work and everyone is happy. Since on Lake Minnetonka the concern is more about boats leaving the lake, you can see why I am concerned about a night ban there, not to mention lots of powerful people with lots of money on the lake.

Some other ideas good or bad . . .

1. In addition to sprayers at ramps - how about some extension gripper tools for removing weeds in hard to reach places at the ramps. They could be on retractable cables like the air hoses at gas stations so people don't take them.

2. A motion activated camera system with audible cues. The cues need to be followed step by step (for draining and cleaning) before you can leave and gate will open

(This would be expensive, but I am guessing might be less expensive than a few years of paying inspectors to be there all hours of the day) One inspector might be able to monitor several sights at the same time so there is not all the wasted time of sitting there doing nothing. Speaking of which . . . does anyone else think that when they are not inspecting boats they should at least attempt to clear out all the floating weeds that collect in front of the ramp?

3. Create some kind of an application/permit system that allows you to fish after dark. In order to get the application you need to complete an online invasive species training. If your boat gets ticketed for not removing weeds then fines/penalties are steeper because you should know better.

All I have time for right now.

Also, since then, I have also discussed the idea of having one inspector for Calhoun and Harriet. The lake accesses are only a few blocks apart from each other and one person could be called and drive between the lakes to inspect as needed. This would cut inspectors costs in half on these two lakes and allow for them to have those two accesses open for use much longer hours.

Edited by joshb 11/21/2014 6:17 PM
Putts
Posted 10/30/2014 12:03 AM (#737635 - in reply to #737559)

I would cut the lock and fish the lake anyway. I cant believe people put up with that kind of nonsense. That is what I would do if the tried closing the lakes around me. They have no right to do that.
mnmusky
Posted 10/30/2014 9:22 AM (#737670 - in reply to #737580)

PHISHMAN - 10/29/2014 3:41 PM

November 5th at 5:30 pm there is a public meeting held by the park and rec. at 2117 W River rd Minneapolis. The first hour is open to public comment.

Is this meeting specific to this topic or a general cover all meeting?
Pointerpride102
Posted 10/30/2014 9:41 AM (#737673 - in reply to #737635)

Putts - 10/30/2014 12:03 AM

I would cut the lock and fish the lake anyway. I cant believe people put up with that kind of nonsense. That is what I would do if the tried closing the lakes around me. They have no right to do that.

Actually, they do.
PHISHMAN
Posted 10/30/2014 12:24 PM (#737700 - in reply to #737559)

The meeting is actually the budget meeting. It will cover the upcoming years budget and what they will have for money to supervise the launches in 2015. The first .5 hr to hour is reserved for public input on any issue. There is a spring meeting that will cover closure regulations and at that meeting the board votes on regulations and rules pertaining to Minneapolis parks. They have open meetings every 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month. They start at 5:30 of course when we are all in traffic or working. Frustrating!!! I spoke with a board member and it's concerning as they continue to believe the gates were installed 3 years ago and from the tone I received they were not changing the policy anytime soon unless they receive preasure from the public to change the ordinance. They claim they have not received much preasure from the public to change their policies. So unless we make our voices heard they will close the access as they wish.
PHISHMAN
Posted 10/31/2014 6:26 AM (#737832 - in reply to #737559)

Pointers stirring the pot

Edited by PHISHMAN 10/31/2014 8:27 AM
dfkiii
Posted 11/7/2014 10:31 AM (#738830 - in reply to #737832)

Granted the comment was provocative, but have you ever thought that in his professional role he knows more about what can be legally done than we do ?

I'd bet he is right, but would like a more detailed explanation so we can understand the "whys" behind his rationale.

Pointer ?

PHISHMAN - 10/31/2014 6:26 AM

Pointers stirring the pot
Pointerpride102
Posted 11/7/2014 11:08 AM (#738836 - in reply to #738830)

It is city property, they can do as they please. The water is public, but the surrounding land is city owned. Much like counties could shut down county owned accesses if they so choose.

Netmaster
Posted 11/7/2014 11:58 AM (#738848 - in reply to #738836)

Lol wow! Pointer you are a funny dude!

Edited by Netmaster 11/7/2014 11:59 AM
dami0101
Posted 11/7/2014 12:20 PM (#738849 - in reply to #738848)

Netmaster - 11/7/2014 11:58 AM

What did he say that was so funny?
Pointerpride102
Posted 11/7/2014 2:25 PM (#738865 - in reply to #738849)

dami0101 - 11/7/2014 12:20 PM

Netmaster - 11/7/2014 11:58 AM

What did he say that was so funny?

I'm not sure, but I'll take it!

I don't support the limiting of public access, especially in the name of AIS. Counter productive and alienating to the non-property owner.
joshb
Posted 11/19/2014 2:53 PM (#740824 - in reply to #737559)
Subject: RE: Night Fishing Ban for Muskies in MN

Just wanted to let everybody know that Lake Harriet is still wide open as of today at noon and a 47 was caught today as well. We should make until Friday.

Hope to see you all there on Friday!
rodbender
Posted 11/19/2014 3:01 PM (#740825 - in reply to #737559)

Too bad My Boat is hibernating. ( Sad face here)
Noy
Posted 11/19/2014 4:16 PM (#740835 - in reply to #737559)

Thanks for the update, Josh. Looking relatively warm Friday, and that wind should help keep the lake open. I'm going to try to make it out.
lookin4_big_gurls
Posted 11/19/2014 10:31 PM (#740867 - in reply to #740835)

Thanks for the update Josh!! I really wish I could be there but I will be on the road for Wisco deer opener...Good Luck to everyone that goes and hopefully there is a large turnout. Maybe I can make it out there next week!
MuskyFlyGuy
Posted 11/20/2014 11:03 AM (#740903 - in reply to #740867)

If anybody has an opening in their boat, please post it. It would be nice to fill it in and increase the numbers of people showing support for Josh and keeping the lake accessible.
Tom
Ben Olsen
Posted 11/20/2014 11:31 AM (#740912 - in reply to #737559)

I may have a spot or two depending upon which boat I bring. Tom, If you need a spot i got you covered. I might even fly fish!! I can't get there until later in the afternoon.
kap
Posted 11/20/2014 4:17 PM (#740946 - in reply to #740912)

ramp open, will be there
BLIZZAK
Posted 11/20/2014 9:30 PM (#741023 - in reply to #737559)

If anyone has an open seat let me know stored my boat and would like to help support this
Thanks
joshb
Posted 11/20/2014 9:53 PM (#741027 - in reply to #741023)

The lake is still wide open as of 5:00 PM tonight. There is a little ice on west side but you can fish the breakline all the way around lake without issue.

There is no ice at ramp and I made sure it is well sanded.

If anyone needs help landing their boat or finding parking give me a call or send a text.

Here is an email from a park board person with details on parking.

"The Met council is suspending work in the area Friday at noon and through the weekend. The parkways will all be open but you are right, the parking lot will still have construction materials/equipment in the majority of the parking spaces. There will be a couple of spots available there but we are setting up cones/signs in the band shell lot as well. The police will not be ticketing for parking in the area on Friday – they know the parking issues – so no one will have to pay. However, if someone does receive a ticket for some reason, they can give it to the inspectors to be voided."

Cfollow
Posted 11/21/2014 9:36 AM (#741057 - in reply to #741027)

Josh, are you going to ice fish or use a hovercraft on Harriet today? Just got word from a buddy minutes ago who lives close to Harriet that it is almost entirely FROZEN over!!!!!!!!!
He said there is open water on calhoun but you would have to break a fair bit of ice to get to it.
joshb
Posted 11/21/2014 2:13 PM (#741101 - in reply to #741057)

It may get cancelled due to ice that formed over night. However, the wind is breaking it up and they have not called it off for sure yet.

You can call this number and tell them you are planning to come tonight and ask whether the event is still happening if you want updates.

Natalie Brown 612-313-7763

I spoke with Natalie earlier today and I do not want all the efforts of everyone planning to attend to go unnoticed. So she will be keeping an email tally of how many people email her today/tomorrow saying they planned to attend the event and share that with the park board. I told her I was expecting 70-75 boats to be there and some people from other states were planning to attend as well so I hope she gets emails from at least 75 of you letting her know she would have seen you if not for the ice.

The email can be as simple as "my name is and I was contacting to you to let you know I was planning to attend the fishing night on Lake Harriet this evening until I learned the lake froze up and it was cancelled"

Send the email to Natalie Brown At [email protected]

You can feel free to address access issues and concerns in this email as well. But the main thing is to send it and send it today if possible or as soon as possible. Please keep it respectful.

Thanks everyone. Lots of boats ready and waiting!

Edited by joshb 11/21/2014 2:16 PM
kap
Posted 11/21/2014 3:51 PM (#741120 - in reply to #737559)

Josh

is the email address correct. having troubles
BLIZZAK
Posted 11/21/2014 4:14 PM (#741123 - in reply to #737559)

Yes it is just got a response back
Cfollow
Posted 11/21/2014 4:20 PM (#741124 - in reply to #741123)

The event has been cancelled!!!!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)