Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> rowtroller setup questions?

Message Subject: rowtroller setup questions?
Slumpbuster
Posted 10/28/2014 4:07 PM (#737394)
Subject: rowtroller setup questions?

After years of looking I finally purchased a row troller! I am interested in putting in some nicer electronics and want to know if a side imaging unit would be worth the money. I am currently debating between a lowrance elite7 down imaging unit or a hummingbird 698 with the side imaging. I like both units and would be comfortable with either but after reading several threads on the advantages I think the side imaging could help me locate schools of baitfish. I was wondering if anybody had done this before in a row troller or if it was just overdoing it? What units are other people using in similar setups? Any other row trolling equiptment suggestions or pictures of your rig would be appreciated as well. Thanks
milje
Posted 10/28/2014 4:32 PM (#737402 - in reply to #737394)
Subject: RE: rowtroller setup questions?

What kind of boat did you get? I just put a down payment on this one last week, will pick it up in the spring.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (95KB - 368 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (188KB - 357 downloads)
MD75
Posted 10/31/2014 8:57 PM (#737957 - in reply to #737394)
Subject: Re: rowtroller setup questions?

Beautiful boat! I am in the process of building a row troller and am planning on putting a side imaging unit in. I really find it useful for open water motor trolling, so figure that it would be the same with row trolling. If you can swing it get a 800 series or larger screen as some of the detail can be lost on the smaller units.
milje
Posted 10/31/2014 10:03 PM (#737971 - in reply to #737394)

Thanks Matt

My dad has a humminbird 798 side imaging unit and I agree, the small screen is tough for side imaging. I have a humminbird fishin buddy that I run right now, just needed something cheap because most of the lakes I fish I know pretty well. Hoping to change that next year when I can get out by myself more. Might steal my dads 798 when he's not looking and put a transducer on my new boat, or maybe get a better unit myself.

What kind of boat are you building? I've been looking at building one as my dad really wants to get into row trolling also, he has wanted one for years and got me interested in them, so when I saw this one I grabbed it. I was thinking a 17' Rangeley would be nice.

Also motor or no motor? I have a couple of old 50s evinrude outboards that would be cool because they are the right time period for the boat, but a new merc or Honda 2.5 is less than a grand and would be nice and reliable, or I could go electric and throw my 55 lb Minn Kota on it.
Slumpbuster
Posted 11/1/2014 2:24 AM (#737982 - in reply to #737394)

I found a blue kuehl boat that I will be picking up tuesday. Will post pictures as soon as I get it in my possession. Thought about building one and still might In the future. Those rangely boats sure do look amazing. I will definitely have to take at look at the humminbird 898. I was afraid that the detail may be lost on the smaller screen. I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels like the side imaging would be a plus for a row troller. Thanks for helping me justify the extra expense! What trolling rods and reels are you guys planning on for your boats?
milje
Posted 11/1/2014 8:52 AM (#737997 - in reply to #737394)

I have a couple of shimano TDR 8' heavys that I use right now, probably stick with them. I need to get some line counters for them this winter. For now I'm just going to run 2 rods, once I get used to it I might incorporate a third but that's getting to be a lot by yourself, I might save that for when I bring someone else.
MD75
Posted 11/1/2014 9:07 AM (#737999 - in reply to #737394)

Brian- I am building a Rangeley boat modeled on the 17 footer but shortend to 15' 6". It's been a fun project so far and I hope to have it completed by the end of the winter! I just finished laying all of the cedar strips and am starting to fiberglass...I am hoping to fish in the Bob Elis tournament next year...looks like a great time.

I plan on just buying the transducer and cables and switching my head unit from the Tuffy to my rowtroller as needed. I will be putting a 2.5hp engine on the back for help when it's real windy out. I like the reliability of a gas engine vs. electric...Lots of great pics and ideas on the rowtroller/Bob Elis web site.

Slumpbuster- I think I saw that Kuehl boat for sale...great buy! Isn't that what Tom Gelb rows? I will be using my regular trolling rod setup: 8' TDR's and Diawa Saltist LC reels. I haven't heard that you need anything different for rowtrolling than you do for motor trolling...
milje
Posted 11/1/2014 3:53 PM (#738043 - in reply to #737394)

Do you just put the forms closer together to get the shorter boat? Are you doing that just to get the couple extra inches of width?

I'll probably run electric for now and eventually get a small for stroke for mine just for windy days. I also hope to be at the Bob Ellis tournament.
milje
Posted 11/1/2014 8:44 PM (#738082 - in reply to #737394)

Hmmm.... Just found a company called Esquif that makes a Royalex version of the Rangeley. Would be a nice low maintenance alternative for someone. And you can get them from Amazon.
Slumpbuster
Posted 11/1/2014 9:21 PM (#738087 - in reply to #737394)

That looks awesome! I wish I would have found that a week ago!
Slumpbuster
Posted 11/2/2014 9:40 AM (#738117 - in reply to #737394)

If anyone is looking for a trailer this was recommended to me.
http://m.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-boat-trailer-with-8-inch...
There are coupons available online which brings the price down to about $300.00.
mnmusky
Posted 11/2/2014 11:04 AM (#738130 - in reply to #737394)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/boa/4710372822.html
MD75
Posted 11/2/2014 3:34 PM (#738190 - in reply to #738043)

milje - 11/1/2014 3:53 PM

Do you just put the forms closer together to get the shorter boat? Are you doing that just to get the couple extra inches of width?

You basically remove one of the forms altogether and adjust the spacings slightly, fairing the hull as you go. Max width stays the same. I made the decision based on the fact that it will be a solo craft and my existing space constraints for the build and storage.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)