Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Do you keep your suckers down with weight?

Message Subject: Do you keep your suckers down with weight?
mm3
Posted 10/27/2014 12:33 PM (#737063)
Subject: Do you keep your suckers down with weight?

Sometimes I just go with 6-8 ft of line under the bobber and let the sucker roam. I usually keep the bobber fairly close to the boat. It works really well when the suckers want to roam deep. However, sometimes they just stay up near the bobber for an extended period of time. Do you guys use weight? If so, how deep do you put the weight and how much free line+leader from the weight to the sucker?
ToddM
Posted 10/27/2014 12:45 PM (#737071 - in reply to #737063)
Subject: Re: Do you keep your suckers down with weight?

I usually go with 2oz of weight in front of my 3ft leader. I have found with no weight the sucker will swim right to your lower unit for cover and tangle up with it. Same with the down rod.
vegas492
Posted 10/27/2014 12:49 PM (#737072 - in reply to #737063)

I keep 'em down with insults.

That and one ounce of weight.
Junkman
Posted 10/27/2014 3:30 PM (#737126 - in reply to #737072)

Suckers are like women...you just think you can treat them all the same! Actually, they are each their own special creature endowed will all manner of traits with regard to having them swim the way you'd like and at the preferred depth. The difference is that you always want your sucker swinging its tail at the maximum degree of enticement possible (with your woman....not so much).

Now, when it gets to swinging of tails and enticement, I'd go easy on the weight before giving the sucker an anchor. Some will go right to work beautifully and work till eaten without a weight--or much weight. If you are like me and think a whole lot of hardware will cost you bites, just spend a few minutes till you get it perfect. Even if it's meant for the depths, no reason for more weight than you need. If you are dragging the thing over weeds, it's great not to have to pick weeds every other minute too. Every time you lift and clean the sucker, you maybe degrade the position of the hooks and widen the hole in the bait.

There's plenty of times to have no weight and only a few feet of line under the bobber too....but I like that for much further away from the boat. Naturally, the greater distance calls for a firm hookset.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)