Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fishing solo

Message Subject: Fishing solo
Cody
Posted 10/19/2014 8:44 AM (#735583 - in reply to #735059)
Subject: Re: Fishing solo

With reading on this topic I too am definately considering going barbless, a dead fish would absolutely ruin my day of fishing ! I have multiple pairs of Knipex and put a safety lanyard on almost everything i.e. rods, net, pliers. I almost lost a St. Croix rod and reel. Great advice here, love this site too !
ESOX Maniac
Posted 10/19/2014 11:14 AM (#735594 - in reply to #735583)

Barbless since 1996, no regrets, and "ditto" - what Tom B. said I can't really say I've lost any because I'm barbless, I do catch a few fish, just not the one muskie that really counts for me! It a lot easier to release myself when I'm fishing solo. The hunt continues.

BTW- Those pike & muskie teeth have serrated edges just like a great white shark, that's why they cut like a razor! Don't believe me, pull one & look at it under a microscope.

Have fun!
Al
Alumacraft11988
Posted 10/19/2014 5:56 PM (#735660 - in reply to #735594)

ESOX Maniac - 10/19/2014 11:14 AM

Barbless since 1996, no regrets, and "ditto" - what Tom B. said I can't really say I've lost any because I'm barbless, I do catch a few fish, just not the one muskie that really counts for me! It a lot easier to release myself when I'm fishing solo. The hunt continues.

BTW- Those pike & muskie teeth have serrated edges just like a great white shark, that's why they cut like a razor! Don't believe me, pull one & look at it under a microscope.

Have fun!
Al

Yes they do I had one stuck in my knuckle of my thumb 2 years ago that I pulled out with tweezers and a magnifying glass. That really did not feel too good that fish got a peice of me haha.
tcbetka
Posted 10/19/2014 8:01 PM (#735680 - in reply to #735059)

I have taken out my share of hooks from people when I used to work in the ER, years back. I've never understood why more people don't fish with barbless hooks, and when I'd mention it to someone after I'd just injected a few CC's of lidocaine into their hand with a BIG needle and then cut out the hook(s)...they all seemed to agree that they wished they had gone that route.

Live and learn, I guess...

TB
lscmuskiemaniac92
Posted 10/22/2014 7:07 PM (#736196 - in reply to #735059)

Nothing like pulling in a big muskie solo
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rVmSnSrZcG4
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IExYO3tJCUQ

Edited by lscmuskiemaniac92 10/22/2014 7:08 PM
cave run legend
Posted 10/22/2014 8:16 PM (#736211 - in reply to #736196)

lscmuskiemaniac92 - 10/22/2014 8:07 PM

Nothing like pulling in a big muskie solo
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rVmSnSrZcG4
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IExYO3tJCUQ

Almost lost his pants pulling it in.
lscmuskiemaniac92
Posted 10/22/2014 8:50 PM (#736230 - in reply to #735059)

Almost lol good thing I had shorts under. As guys have said before make sure net and tools are handy. When trolling I like to wear the fish down and put the boat in N when It gets close so I can net it from the side of the boat. Always slide fish into net never reach with the net!!!
Ranger
Posted 12/5/2014 9:56 PM (#742897 - in reply to #735059)

I always use a good net, gloves and release tools. It's easy to get badly hooked doing boat-side (no net) releases with pliers if the fish thrashes while you're hanging over the boat with your hands in its hooked face.

I was once using long pliers and just when I grabbed the hook (Poe's Giant Jackpot) the fish thrashed and I jerked my hand up. But my hand didn't go up far because one hook was still in the thrashing fish and one hook was sunk as far as possible in a finger. Eventually got the fish off but couldn't get the hook out, of course, and due to shock I passed out while underway back to the launch. Hit a tree and woke up falling out of the boat with that Jackpot and its needle-sharp hooks swinging around like a nun-chuck, almost hooked my face. I was fishing alone on a remote water in the Yoop at the time. So, I believe safety requires a good net.
Joe Cal
Posted 12/8/2014 7:24 PM (#743262 - in reply to #735059)

Its been said before but you NEED to have a good net. Hook cutters, tape measure, camera. Can't tell you how many times I see guys fishing from shore without a net... This just doesn't make any sense to me especially since you should be using the net like a live well while your getting your tools ready. Boggles my mind when talking to these guys when they say its all about the safety of the fish and yet when/if they caught a big one to take a picture of they would have to hold it by the gillplate while also trying to get their pliers and camera ready while also sometimes fighting current.
I NEVER fish without having my net, tools, and camera, and tape measure. Plain and simple, without one or more of these items I will just turnaround and go home to get em.
bob s
Posted 1/3/2015 9:16 AM (#746390 - in reply to #735059)

I fish alone most of the time on ny waters and try to keep it all safe as can be.I minimize nite fishing to just before sunup and maybe an hour or so after sundown.Not the best conditions for being solo but ya gotta smart about what ya do.I use two gps units for navigating and mark hazards ALOT.Use caution in new areas.As far as pics i try to have my camera on a tripod before i start fishing.Know your water and surroundings!!!!Navigate safely.I`ve been fish`n the st.lawerence lately so navigation/saftey is of the utmost importance.I always have an eye out for others on any water be it fisherman(don`t crowd them) or the yahoos out water skiing,pleasure boating or on jetskies that NEVER seem to see you.My release aids are always in the same spot and i have a lockblade clipped to my pocket incase i need to cut my net or whatever.Good net(make sure it`s big enough to handle the species you are after!!! I use a beckman finsaver )has long handle and i use salty rod holders one either side of the boat so the net can lay across the boat in both holders while keeping it secure and the fish at peace.Seen too often a tiny bass net in a musky boat.I use a 60"floating bump board and also have a floating stick and seamstress tape.Let someone know the general area you`ll be fishing.I don`t wear gloves to handle fish(loose my sense of feel).Bob S
muskyrat
Posted 1/4/2015 7:34 AM (#746500 - in reply to #735059)

It`s a lot easier if you have a livewell or fishthanks. Just put the fish in and wave someone over for pictures. The problem is as Horsehunter pointed out is almost all fish are under the size limit and are not allowed on board these days. No point netting if pictures are illegal. Your just incriminating yourself. This sport has changed. You really are not supposed to photograph them anymore. It`s the law!
jerryb
Posted 1/4/2015 3:22 PM (#746567 - in reply to #746500)

Ranger, crazy story.
I don't think I'd go completely barbless but can see the upside while running a camera. 

In Canada last fall our trip was filled with obstacles and rewards. Some of the rewards were getting into many schools of big walleyes but even after landing a few hundred fish we were quickly reminded you can never let your guard down, solo or otherwise. On one particular day we decided to map an area that we had not worked out yet and wouldn't you know it, Chris hits a fish on our second trolling pass this one a 30"er which was our 19th walleye over 26". Next thing you know he decides to hand land the fish and just that quick he's got a hook in his wrist. We are 20-30 minutes from the ramp and 45 minutes from the nearest hospital. Im thinking I'm going to loose my best fishing bud but he's saying stuff like, "We have really good weather" " its no big deal" and "let's keep fishing". Now that's a fishing partner!!! After a coupe unsuccessful attempts at hook removable we packed up and headed for town.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image-19.jpg)

(image-28.jpg)

(image-14.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image-19.jpg (355KB - 430 downloads)
Attachments image-28.jpg (343KB - 452 downloads)
Attachments image-14.jpg (326KB - 456 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)