Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fishing solo

Message Subject: Fishing solo
Musky Brian
Posted 10/16/2014 5:10 PM (#735324 - in reply to #735311)
Subject: Re: Fishing solo

ulbian - 10/16/2014 3:01 PM

Musky Brian - 10/16/2014 2:49 PM

I don't really agree with the guys suggesting you not net fish alone...once you get a system down it's really not much more difficult then fishing with anyone else who is inexperienced...

get the fish in the net, aim your trolling motor where you want to go and put it in constant or autopilot, operate on the fish while it is in the water in net, get the hooks out, place a camera on a tripod with a delayed timer ( have it ready to go in a known place before you leave the dock), hit the button , scoop the fish up, smile and let it go....

it can be a bit more challenging but don't let it scare you

there's a guy in this thread who has caught a 57" alone if that wants to give you some more confidence....

I have my system of netting fish alone down and it has worked very well on countless fish. It's not out of fear that I seldom don't do it, it's a personal choice. As vegas said...why do I need another pic of a smaller fish?

Two scenarios come to mind on when I would net a fish solo.
1) If I needed to corral it in order to remove hooks without injuring it further
2) If it was an extraordinary fish that was worth documenting...size, markings, deformities, scarring, etc.

Again, if you feel the need to take a pic of every last one you catch then that's your decision to make. For others it's our decision not to.

I certainly don't photo every fish ...Nor would I feel comfortable lecturing others on my personal feelings on the minimum size needed to be worthy of a photo...to each their own

I just don't see what is so bad about using a net? Shaking off fish at the side of the boat is not always the easiest thing to do... Safer for an angler to have the fish in a net unless he is very experienced imo....
tcbetka
Posted 10/16/2014 5:48 PM (#735327 - in reply to #735059)

I fished alone on Green Bay, more than I fished with a partner. One thing I see has been mentioned, is the barbless hook thing. I am a firm believer in barbless hooks--I see no reason not to use them. Trust me when I tell you that I've read just about every research study, fishing report and angler opinion I could find on the topic. What it came down to for me is safety: It was simply safer for both me and the fish to have barbless hooks involved. Although I didn't catch hundreds of fish while fishing alone, I certainly caught my share. To my knowledge, I never lost a fish because of the lack of barbs--although I freely admit that some of the rips I got might have been hooked had I been using barbs. No way to tell that I guess, so I cannot argue either way.

In the end though, and everyone loves to catch fish so I am not trying to imply that it isn't important, I always took as much satisfaction away from finding the fish, presenting the lure and getting the thing to hit...as I did in catching it. Certainly I wanted to fight it. Who doesn't want to feel a 40+ pound musky on the line? I'm not stupid, lol. All I am saying I guess is that I would much rather lose the fish at the boat in a difficult situation, than hurt myself or injure/kill the fish due to struggling with a big fish. Ask Tom Gelb what that's about.

In terms of netting a fish--that's the only way I'd ever handle a BIG musky. Smaller fish (sub 40-43" fish) I simply un-pinned at boatside and released. Pictures for me are largely irrelevant, as my goal really wasn't to collect pictures of fish I've caught over the years. It's to beat the fish, as I said. One other thing (I think this may have been mentioned too) is that I learned to HATE the Big Kahuna. While it's a huge net to be sure, it'll just about snap your wrist ligaments with any kind of a wind. There are other alternatives now though, so that has become a relative non-issue as I see it.

YMMV, of course.

TB

Edited by tcbetka 10/16/2014 5:50 PM
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 10/16/2014 7:21 PM (#735334 - in reply to #735327)

The biggest and most fish I have caught are when I have fished solo..just ask me...of course I release them all!
vegas492
Posted 10/17/2014 8:10 AM (#735379 - in reply to #735311)

ulbian - 10/16/2014 3:01 PM

Musky Brian - 10/16/2014 2:49 PM

I don't really agree with the guys suggesting you not net fish alone...once you get a system down it's really not much more difficult then fishing with anyone else who is inexperienced...

get the fish in the net, aim your trolling motor where you want to go and put it in constant or autopilot, operate on the fish while it is in the water in net, get the hooks out, place a camera on a tripod with a delayed timer ( have it ready to go in a known place before you leave the dock), hit the button , scoop the fish up, smile and let it go....

it can be a bit more challenging but don't let it scare you

there's a guy in this thread who has caught a 57" alone if that wants to give you some more confidence....

I have my system of netting fish alone down and it has worked very well on countless fish. It's not out of fear that I seldom don't do it, it's a personal choice. As vegas said...why do I need another pic of a smaller fish?

Two scenarios come to mind on when I would net a fish solo.
1) If I needed to corral it in order to remove hooks without injuring it further
2) If it was an extraordinary fish that was worth documenting...size, markings, deformities, scarring, etc.

Again, if you feel the need to take a pic of every last one you catch then that's your decision to make. For others it's our decision not to.

Absolutely agree. I've netted a few fish while alone. All to get what ends up being a not so good picture. But at the time I felt I had to do it. Then I started realizing that while fun, a 30-42 inch fish is something I've caught plenty of. No need for pictures, just a quick little release and the sense of satisfaction of catching a fish and watching it swim away.

But, to each their own.
Brad P
Posted 10/17/2014 8:34 AM (#735387 - in reply to #735059)

I fish alone a lot also.

On the net. Having it ready before you ever cast is critical, but it has been said already. Here is a tip for a cheap net modification: Go buy a hockey lace at a local sportshop, They run about $5. Tie one end to the net handle. Then wrap the other end aroudn the handle. When you bag a fish, hook the net on the cleat as mentioned above, then unwrap the lace and tie it off on the opposite cleat. This way the net is secured, the fish cannot get out, and it is sitting in the water. Make sure your net is deep enough if you have tall gunwales. (I like the Power Catch) Assemble the requisite release tools and process the fish. Once the hooks are out and she is clean, then get out your board, set up your camera, whatever. This fish is always in the water and recovering. Take your photo/measurements and then release her. Works like a charm.

Hat tip BTURG on this one, I learned it from him.

Another critical item is the Knippex Bolt Cutter. (No, other brands are not the same) Guys balk at the cost of this thing, but nothing gets hooks out faster or with greater ease. My MI Club did a demo of the cutters at the MN show last spring. The Knippex IS superior. You can stop and try it next April if you have doubts and are in MN.

Edited by Brad P 10/17/2014 8:36 AM
Ryan21
Posted 10/17/2014 9:32 AM (#735397 - in reply to #735059)
Subject: RE: Fishing solo

More rod holders. Stick the rod in the rod holder and leader the fish in. I haven't fished alone for Muskie but I have leader a bunch of sailfish alone in the cockpit with the captain in the bridge. I would think it would work fine. If you have lots of rod holders, it should be easy to put the rod in one and leader the fish with one hand and into the net. Also, with your salmon, try a gaff. Way under utilized tool in freshwater for bigger fish your are keeping like salmon. Fishing alone is also when you want to keep your pliers on your belt because of the large hooks used for Muskie.
bwalsh
Posted 10/17/2014 9:40 AM (#735398 - in reply to #735059)

"Here is a tip for a cheap net modification: Go buy a hockey lace at a local sportshop, They run about $5. Tie one end to the net handle. "

I use a four foot piece of clothesline duct taped to handle to the net. It works and it doesn't even cost $5. Its just stuff around the house. I got fancy and used black duct tape so it matches the handle.

Don't throw a cast until the handle is extended and you are sure the net is untangled.

Edited by bwalsh 10/17/2014 9:42 AM
Musky Brian
Posted 10/17/2014 10:55 AM (#735410 - in reply to #735397)

Ryan21 - 10/17/2014 9:32 AM

More rod holders. Stick the rod in the rod holder and leader the fish in. I haven't fished alone for Muskie but I have leader a bunch of sailfish alone in the cockpit with the captain in the bridge. I would think it would work fine. If you have lots of rod holders, it should be easy to put the rod in one and leader the fish with one hand and into the net. Also, with your salmon, try a gaff. Way under utilized tool in freshwater for bigger fish your are keeping like salmon. Fishing alone is also when you want to keep your pliers on your belt because of the large hooks used for Muskie.

skindzier
Posted 10/17/2014 12:31 PM (#735413 - in reply to #735059)

Pay attention to your surroundings if you get a fish - One of my first solo outings I was trolling in a fairly strong wind - got a fish that was hooked pretty bad, so it took awhile to get unhooked. As I was giving the fish my undivided attention I drifted onto a reef. Dislodging from a reef solo in wind is NOT fun...
Ryan21
Posted 10/17/2014 3:54 PM (#735435 - in reply to #735410)

Musky Brian - 10/17/2014 11:55 AM

:o

I'm emoticon illiterate. Fishing alone is fun. I'm new to freshwater fishing but have caught many large saltwater fish solo or in a sport fish boat with the captain in the bridge. You've gotta utilize the rod holders.
Ryan21
Posted 10/17/2014 4:06 PM (#735437 - in reply to #735410)

Musky Brian - 10/17/2014 11:55 AM

:o

I'm emoticon illiterate. Fishing alone is fun. I'm new to freshwater fishing but have caught many large saltwater fish solo or in a sport fish boat with the captain in the bridge. You've gotta utilize the rod holders and leader the fish in. You have way more control of the fish that way. Y'all may do that already. I've seen a lot of video where people try to lead their fish into the net using the rod in one arm and the net in the other. Seems very difficult that way. IMO.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/17/2014 4:32 PM (#735438 - in reply to #735437)

Knipex. Back pocket. Obvious reasons.
cave run legend
Posted 10/17/2014 4:32 PM (#735439 - in reply to #735437)

What is leader the fish mean?
Shoot2Kill
Posted 10/17/2014 4:47 PM (#735442 - in reply to #735059)

Some great tips here but some replies make fishing solo sound much harder than it actually is.
- Keep the net ready, practice scooping into the water a few times one handed while controlling the rod with your other arm.
- Play the fish a bit longer, tie the net handle off so you can work on the fish and not worry about the net falling in.
-Have your tools close, you dont have to be wearing them - once you scoop her and tie the net off you have all the time you need to get ready with the fish still in the water.
-Set up a tripod ahead of time and keep it folded up with the camera on it on the side of your boat. Practice taking pics of yourself with the timer so you know where to stand/kneel, take pics of your fish, and release!
- Its really not that hard. No better sense of satisfaction than CPR'ing a fish solo - especially a big fish!!

Edited by Shoot2Kill 10/17/2014 4:53 PM
Ryan21
Posted 10/17/2014 4:51 PM (#735443 - in reply to #735439)

cave run legend - 10/17/2014 5:32 PM

By hand. Once you get him close to the boat, if you are alone, put the rod in the rod holder and handline it to you. That way you can lead the fish to your net with one hand and net it with the other. Most likely you will be close to the water and have a lot more control over the fish versus a 8ft flexible rod bouncing all over. In saltwater you are usually using really light line to a heavy 15-30 ft leader depending on your tackle. So when you have the fish close enough you grab the heavier leader to get the fish boat side for a picture or to boat it. I'm finding out freshwater boats have very few rod holders so that's why I brought that up. When I'm fishing on my friends boat I keep looking for somewhere to put my casting rod when we get bites on suckers or help the kids out. It drives me nuts. When I finally get my own boat, I'm going to put in about 50 rod holders. Lol. Here's a pic I used that technique on when catching a sailfish with just the captain and I in the boat. The only controls are in the bridge so it's kind of fishing solo.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (74KB - 390 downloads)
cave run legend
Posted 10/17/2014 5:10 PM (#735446 - in reply to #735443)

I will stick to easily holding the rod in one hand and scooping the fish up with the other.
mnmusky
Posted 10/17/2014 5:38 PM (#735452 - in reply to #735446)

cave run legend - 10/17/2014 5:10 PM

I will stick to easily holding the rod in one hand and scooping the fish up with the other.

I agree. I wouldnt hand line em in. case in point; A few weeks ago, got my line tangled up with another when trolling by a giant and i still have the cuts on my fingers from the fish pulling line while working the tangle out. might not be too bad with a huge leader but in musky fishing, leaders are not that long. tangled or not, holding that line can cut you easily and quickly like in one head shake.
Ryan21
Posted 10/17/2014 6:15 PM (#735453 - in reply to #735452)

mnmusky - 10/17/2014 6:38 PM

cave run legend - 10/17/2014 5:10 PM

I agree. I wouldnt hand line em in. case in point; A few weeks ago, got my line tangled up with another when trolling by a giant and i still have the cuts on my fingers from the fish pulling line while working the tangle out. might not be too bad with a huge leader but in musky fishing, leaders are not that long. tangled or not, holding that line can cut you easily and quickly like in one head shake.

Muskie gear is heavier than a majority of saltwater gear. However you do it, fishing alone adds an extra degree of difficulty. The hardest part is getting a picture.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/17/2014 6:17 PM (#735454 - in reply to #735443)

Ryan21 - 10/17/2014 4:51 PM

cave run legend - 10/17/2014 5:32 PM

By hand. Once you get him close to the boat, if you are alone, put the rod in the rod holder and handline it to you. That way you can lead the fish to your net with one hand and net it with the other. [...]

I wouldn't do that with braided line. That's a trip to the hospital if you've got the line wrapped around your hand and the fish decides to make one more run.

esoxaddict
Posted 10/17/2014 6:22 PM (#735456 - in reply to #735059)

I'll say it again. Knipex. Back pocket. I know I can reach them there if I'm hooked to a fish that's tangled up in the net. Having them out or nearby or even on the floor next to you isn't going to help if they're on your right and it's your right hand that's hooked. Being hooked is bad enough. Being hooked to a fish that's thrashing in the net because you're fumbling around trying to get to your hook cutters probably sucks.
brianT
Posted 10/17/2014 6:32 PM (#735457 - in reply to #735059)

I wouldn't want to try leadering a Muskie. That's just asking for trouble. It's a totally diffrent ball game leadering a Sailfish or Marlin. Saltwater leaders are much longer, Muskie have teeth, and you're not leadering a hot fish with teeth into a net on the ocean. Most saltwater fish with teeth get the gaff.
mnmusky
Posted 10/17/2014 6:48 PM (#735459 - in reply to #735456)

esoxaddict - 10/17/2014 6:22 PM

I'll say it again. Knipex. Back pocket. I know I can reach them there if I'm hooked to a fish that's tangled up in the net. Having them out or nearby or even on the floor next to you isn't going to help if they're on your right and it's your right hand that's hooked. Being hooked is bad enough. Being hooked to a fish that's thrashing in the net because you're fumbling around trying to get to your hook cutters probably sucks.

Been there done that. IT DOES SUCK!!!! Problem is, didnt have knipex with me but did have a pliers in my back left pocket and 2 of 3 barbs buried to the shank in my left fore arm with a peey pike attached to another treble. I had to put the pike on the deck, pin it with my knees (looked like a bad game of twister) all bent over as my arm was close to the pike. Problem #2, being in the awkward position, I couldnt reach the pliers with my right hand to the left rear pocket. Ended up playing strip twister and pulled my shorts down enough to get to the pliers. all in all, managed to unhook the pike get home to my beloved knipex, cut the hooks, go to urgent care (but they couldnt do it) then drive to the emergency room to have 2 barbs and the remainder of the hook surgically cut out from my arm to the tune of $700 out of pocket( and thats with insurance). I also have some permanent numbness where the fun stuck. All I can say is KNIPEX, DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alumacraft11988
Posted 10/17/2014 8:17 PM (#735468 - in reply to #735059)

Great advise guys went Thursday by my self and it wasn't bad except for losing one on a sucker .
cave run legend
Posted 10/17/2014 8:27 PM (#735470 - in reply to #735468)

If you have strong hands a 10$ pair of cutters works as well as knipex.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 10/17/2014 8:29 PM (#735471 - in reply to #735059)

Windy day netting tip, make sure you lead the fish to side of the boat with the wind at your back before getting the net. I almost lost my 1st solo musky because of being blown away from it while trying to net it. I also have a thick pair of welders gloves I can slip on if the fish is hooked bad or thrashing a lot and I need to get close to the hooks. Someone suggested this a couple years ago. They won't prevent big hooks from piercing, but may prevent the barb from becoming imbedded in you. Hooks are cheap though, carry spares and cut any hook that doesn't pop out easily. My Knipex have convinced 2 people this year they need to get some, so pick up a pair.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/17/2014 8:48 PM (#735478 - in reply to #735470)

cave run legend - 10/17/2014 8:27 PM

And even if they don't work as well, you'll be glad you saved the $20 when you're hooked to a $30 lure that's attached to a $500 combo, inside a $120 net, in a $30,000 boat that you dragged to the lake behind a $40,000 truck...

Just sayin'..
Ryan21
Posted 10/18/2014 6:41 AM (#735498 - in reply to #735457)

brianT - 10/17/2014 7:32 PM

I wouldn't want to try leadering a Muskie. That's just asking for trouble. It's a totally diffrent ball game leadering a Sailfish or Marlin. Saltwater leaders are much longer, Muskie have teeth, and you're not leadering a hot fish with teeth into a net on the ocean. Most saltwater fish with teeth get the gaff.

Our leader are 30-40 lb test for sailfish so it's mostly finger tipping the fish boat side. They get line shy of anything heavier and our mainline is 12lb test in tournaments and 20lb normal fishing. I get what you are saying though. Each individual fish acts different at boat side. Our first muskie I had to pull in by hand because it wrapped up in the anchor. Luckily that fish quit jumping after that because I had no gloves on. That was also on a sucker rig and it was hooked on the back hook. I'd be very hesitant to do the same thing on a lure caught fish. Muskie lures scare me with a hot fish boat side. As for the teeth, they aren't too bad if you are cautious. Hope I don't jinx my fingers with that statement. I fully intend to use a net tomorrow if we get lucky and get my 10 year old his first Muskie.
tundrawalker00
Posted 10/18/2014 7:26 AM (#735501 - in reply to #735498)

Trolling kings/steelhead/browns alone sucks. The bungee pilot never keeps the #*^@ boat running straight.
miket55
Posted 10/18/2014 5:16 PM (#735544 - in reply to #735470)

cave run legend - 10/17/2014 9:27 PM

These work just as well too..

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crescent-9-in-Pro-Series-Diagonal-Cuttin...

Edited by miket55 10/18/2014 5:25 PM
brianT
Posted 10/18/2014 8:53 PM (#735562 - in reply to #735498)

Ryan21 - 10/18/2014 7:41 AM

brianT - 10/17/2014 7:32 PM

Our leader are 30-40 lb test for sailfish so it's mostly finger tipping the fish boat side. They get line shy of anything heavier and our mainline is 12lb test in tournaments and 20lb normal fishing. I get what you are saying though. Each individual fish acts different at boat side. Our first muskie I had to pull in by hand because it wrapped up in the anchor. Luckily that fish quit jumping after that because I had no gloves on. That was also on a sucker rig and it was hooked on the back hook. I'd be very hesitant to do the same thing on a lure caught fish. Muskie lures scare me with a hot fish boat side. As for the teeth, they aren't too bad if you are cautious. Hope I don't jinx my fingers with that statement. I fully intend to use a net tomorrow if we get lucky and get my 10 year old his first Muskie.

Don't underestimate them, I had a small 35" gator roll on me and caught my thumb tip with one tooth and laid it wide open.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)