Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Demolished Bait Stories/Pics?

Message Subject: Demolished Bait Stories/Pics?
husky_jerk
Posted 9/29/2014 4:12 PM (#732448)
Subject: Demolished Bait Stories/Pics?

About 25 years ago I went on a trip to LVD. The owner of the resort had a couple of Crane Baits hanging in the fish cleaning house. These baits were mangled. His story was that these lures were destroyed by huge muskies. In 30 years of fishing I've never had a bait destroyed by a fish other than rubber of course. Have any of you had a bait completely destroyed by a musky? Story? Pics?
buckner
Posted 9/29/2014 8:47 PM (#732488 - in reply to #732448)
Subject: Re: Demolished Bait Stories/Pics?

My first fish was a 37 on a rapala super shad rap. The fish rolled in the net one time and peeled the wire out of the center of that bait halfway down the bait. I just hung the bait off the frame the picture is in.
Southshore
Posted 9/30/2014 8:42 AM (#732534 - in reply to #732448)
Subject: RE: Demolished Bait Stories/Pics?

Was this at Edgewater Beach Resort? If it was, the Cranes were probably the ones I gave Craig to hang in the fish house. The baits became water logged and fell apart mostly due to hook rash; we then hung them in the fish house and told stories of how the muskies tore them up. It was a running bit until the resort was sold as condos. As years past, it was difficult to remember what story (lie) was told to which guest.

Edited by Southshore 9/30/2014 8:43 AM
husky_jerk
Posted 10/1/2014 11:10 AM (#732786 - in reply to #732534)

I think it was the old Edgewater or maybe McPartlins (spelling?) I think I was bamboozled. It only took me 25 years to figure out.
beerforthemuskygods
Posted 10/1/2014 11:49 AM (#732790 - in reply to #732448)

I caught a 49.75 on a mepps muskie killer that pretty much turned that bait into a mangled ball of knotted, kinked. destroyed hunk of wire. Which i thought was pretty neat and a testament to the strength of that lure.
mnmusky
Posted 10/1/2014 12:16 PM (#732795 - in reply to #732448)

Had a 41 take a quarter size chunk out of a new maple glider and left a tooth stuck in it. Hardest hitting fish to date for me.
vegas492
Posted 10/1/2014 1:52 PM (#732815 - in reply to #732448)

I've had to retire more Suicks than I care to count. Have a few mangled Phantoms that won't run right either. And recently I lost two Llungen bucktails to muskies. It is a sad day when you have to retire one of your few faithful lures.
southern comfort
Posted 10/2/2014 6:41 AM (#732910 - in reply to #732448)

I have had a number of lures get mangled beyond repair a number of times. This includes Mini madussa's, crane baits and a Top Kick top water bait. The general theme would be wood and rubber baits.
Eaglescout2012
Posted 10/2/2014 7:16 AM (#732914 - in reply to #732448)

This thread needs pictures... I have not had a bait destroyed but have had hooks bend to the extreme, a few years ago I was probably 14 and a person told me to hook a bluegil up with a hook, I had no experience with it but long story short, the hook was bent and the muskie got away
Brozz88
Posted 10/2/2014 8:07 AM (#732922 - in reply to #732914)

Lost 2 lures in one day last weekend. Got a nice spanky double ten copper and smoke blade/ black tail,from Muskie 54956, first fish on it was a 42" that shredded it. Bent it all to heck.snapped on a blue Cisco perchbait and caught a 44" that freaked out in the net and busted the bill of my really nice, near mint condition perchbait. Sucked,#*#*ty day fishing, would have rather not caught either one of the little bait busters. Looking for another blue perchbait if anyone's got one they'd part with.

Edited by Brozz88 10/2/2014 8:09 AM
tr7
Posted 10/2/2014 9:58 PM (#733082 - in reply to #732448)

Here's a double 10 bent 90 degrees from a 47 earlier this year. It's a good thing they straighten out some

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (61KB - 293 downloads)
TCESOX
Posted 10/3/2014 5:34 PM (#733185 - in reply to #732448)

That looks almost identical to a Rabid Squirrel I was throwing a couple of weeks ago. A low 40's fish hit pretty far out on the retrieve. I immediately "set the hook", but like most of the fish in this lake, it came screaming right at the boat. I had to reel like mad to keep any bend in the rod. As it approached the boat, it made a 90 degree turn, running away from the boat, which was perfect for trying to get a better hook set. I really laid into it, doubling my rod over. Fish slowed a little, came to the surface and stuck her head out of the water, turned at me and opened her mouth, and the lure shot back at me. I had to duck to keep from eating the bait myself. Looked at the bait, and it was L shaped. Never had a hook in her. Had sharp hooks, but she had it clamped so hard in her mouth, that when I slammed the hood set, it never even moved in her mouth, just bent in half and she gave it back to me.
Junkman
Posted 10/4/2014 4:48 AM (#733215 - in reply to #732448)

Destroyed Crane baits are no hoax. Anybody who has real experience with the bait as any sort of a favorite has destroyed many. I have long been a buyer of the replacement lips as well as learning to apply my wife's nail polish to fill the holes made by teeth. Failure to fill these holes results in a waterlogged mess. I also buy the replacement wires for my doubles (R&H sells that too) and I'd advise not straightening that bait in the boat. Change out the wire later (immediately if you must) and you won't waste casts. Bent wire will inhibit blades engaging and you will not know whether it was the cast to a giant. Last, don't be warned off a great bait cuz somebody says it's a one-fish bait. It's a fair trade.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)