Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: At Gander Mountain buying a lure. Wife- what lure do you catch most your fish on? Me- fire tiger depth raider. Wife- Why the hell would you buy this lure??? Me- uuuuhhhhhhh
- (Added by: Muskie4Life)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> 2 piece bucktails ?

Message Subject: 2 piece bucktails ?
Zinox
Posted 9/26/2014 8:20 AM (#731908)
Subject: 2 piece bucktails ?

So does any of you make your buck-tails in 2 Pisces ? a blade section (like dozer blades) and a skirt section.

Iv'e done some double 10s and 8s, like this, and seems to work well, and it's easy to mix up skirts and blades.

Just wondering if there's any downside to this, that I haven't noticed yet?

Tight lines.
FISHFINDER101
Posted 9/26/2014 8:33 AM (#731911 - in reply to #731908)
Subject: RE: 2 piece bucktails ?

2 piece bucktails have been around for a long time and definitely have there place in the musky world. Mepps also makes a great one. I tend to use one solid bucktail more often, wrapping my skirt material on a coil. I can not switch skirts unless I cut the wire. I like to shrink wrap the back treble to keep it running straight. I do have pre tied trebles that i add to some of my tails though. All my back trebles are attached with split rings so I can easily add new trebles when needed. I prefer to tie my skirt material on a coil for a couple reasons; if you cut a hook on a tied treble you have to retie the whole thing, on a "one piece" you just have to replace the hook, no build up wraps on a bare treble, shirnk tube helps keep the hooks from hanging up better.
chadw18
Posted 9/26/2014 8:37 AM (#731913 - in reply to #731911)
Subject: RE: 2 piece bucktails ?

I have down where you place two treble hooks in a row and attach them together with split rings around the top of one and bottom of other like a mepps marabou, I am not over confident in that setup. However it would be fun to try a setup like a normal inline would be and just chop it in half and fasten in the middle!
lpeitso
Posted 9/26/2014 12:04 PM (#731957 - in reply to #731908)
Subject: Re: 2 piece bucktails ?

If you go to Fleet Farm they have separate Inhaler Blades, and Skirts that you can mix and match.
gus_webb
Posted 9/26/2014 1:16 PM (#731975 - in reply to #731908)

I've made some that way, and the only disadvantage I've found personally is that they seem to be more likely to get hung up on a cast. Even with weighting in the hair or flash section, they can still roll over on themselves, get a hook in the leader and lose a cast. And I realized I'm not likely to switch a bait around while in the boat fishing. I'd rather just make the combinations I like, and use them.

The advantage of two pieces, though, is you generally don't end up with bent wire, which never goes back right once it's bent. The bends seem to happen more on backlashes, though... so if you're better at casting than some of the people fishing in my boat, it might not be a problem for you.
newmuskyz
Posted 9/26/2014 7:19 PM (#732017 - in reply to #731975)

Glittertails are made that way and I've made some that way too . Only thing I dislike is harder to cast.
newmuskyz
Posted 9/26/2014 8:21 PM (#732029 - in reply to #732017)

Also some believe that it's harder for the fish to throw the two piece lures.
Zib
Posted 9/26/2014 11:33 PM (#732053 - in reply to #732029)

newmuskyz - 9/26/2014 9:21 PM Also some believe that it's harder for the fish to throw the two piece lures.

True but your hook-ups are better with a one piece w/heat shrinked rear hook so it's a trade off.

I personally don't like how 2-piece tails cast. They don't cast as far (especially in wind) & they hook the line too much on the cast. Wasted casts mean fewer chances at a big girl.

Zinox
Posted 9/27/2014 5:50 AM (#732064 - in reply to #731908)

Thanks, for all the inputs, i'll give them some more time, and se if i notice any difference in baits getting hung up. :D
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)