Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Storing Bucktails Right-Side Up

Message Subject: Storing Bucktails Right-Side Up
Sam Ubl
Posted 9/25/2014 3:38 PM (#731829)
Subject: Storing Bucktails Right-Side Up

Something that's always been burdensome to me is having to hang all my bucktails upside down. All the muskie boxes I've ever seen are compatible for all lure types, so nothing specific for blades. Skirt color makes a difference to me when I'm selecting a bait, but a lot of times I'll have similar skirts with different blades. I've got at least ten dub 10's with black skirts, but blades on one might be chartreuse, another might be pink, another orange, then nickel, then brass, then metallic black... I have to pull them all out or guess in order to find the combo I'm looking for. The other issues I've dealt with are my blades banging together and chipping paint, roughing up a smooth metallic finish, and the skirts build memory from hanging upside down. I need a solution... 

Anyone else in the same boat? Have you come up with anything?

FISHFINDER101
Posted 9/25/2014 3:56 PM (#731831 - in reply to #731829)
Subject: RE: Storing Bucktails Right-Side Up

It's a little more work, but I to am particular with skirts color and storing my bucktails, I hang my up side dow til dried and then brush them out after that. Then I use a paper clip to store them hanging right side up. This also helps keep the skirt from sticking up above everything else in my box. Not a real easy solution but keeps them in better shape for the long run. Ive also seen tackle boxes that are labeled and each lure has it's own spot and you after awhile you just learn where a lure goes. I'm not that organized, but tend to take better care of my bucktails than other lures. Didnt you help come up with the clear tubes around the pedistals, looks like you should be able to see them in that.
jfreborg
Posted 9/25/2014 3:56 PM (#731832 - in reply to #731829)

The big clear Planos work ok for storing bucktails. I can fit two double blades in each compartment, I just place the blades on opposite ends. The blades will not move much if at all once closed. Sometimes you will have to fumble with large marabou skirts and keeping them where you want them when closing the box. Flashabou or hair is pretty easy. I hang them to dry after I fish. Something to try if you don't want to make an entirely new box to store them vertically the way you want.
bigbite
Posted 9/25/2014 4:20 PM (#731837 - in reply to #731829)

Because I store my baits in a milk crate with down spout material, I simply cut the down spout material slightly shorter then the dbl. 10 length so I can place them in an up right position and easily grabbed them by the eye bait when I choose that particular bait. For shorter spinners and bucktails I drill a small hole in each corner of the down spout and screw in a cup hook. If you have a split ring attached to the bait you can easily slip it over the cup hook to keep the four baits I will be storing in that spout in an upright position. Works for me.
colinj8899
Posted 9/25/2014 8:10 PM (#731851 - in reply to #731829)
Subject: Re: Storing Bucktails Right-Side Up

I hung all my bucktails upside down and personally didn't like it. Like you said, I could never find the one I wanted right away and my blades did get chipped off. I asked a gas station attendant one day if I could buy an empty milk crate from him and he said I could just have one. I slapped two pieces of very thin plywood inside and attached them to the crate with L brackets. I then screwed half eye hooks in to the plywood and can hang about 20 bucktails in the crate. I really like it and all my bucktails are easily accessible as well as being able to see them and not have to hang them upside. If your interested I could post a pic for you tomorrow. Right now I am at work and not able to post pictures.
Sam Ubl
Posted 9/26/2014 7:58 AM (#731899 - in reply to #731829)

ColinJ, I'd love to see pics of what you're describing. The clear tubes definitely help, in fact, I don't think I could go back to a solid colored or fabric covered box now that I have the clear. Still, even with my clear pedestal unit I have to bend way down to see the blades, versus standing over it and seeing it - I dunno, personal preference I suppose. But like I said, it's more than that, it's the memory of the skirts from hanging upside-down, and after driving the blades scuff up. The weight of a bucktail is in te blades and beads at the top of the bait, and hanging upside-down they swing around when you drive and naturally rub and scuff on eachother over time.
Ski Patrol
Posted 9/26/2014 8:59 AM (#731915 - in reply to #731829)

Soon you will be in the woods and won't have to worry about it Sam.

In all seriousness, have a look at this thread for some great examples of what you're looking for
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=33...

Hope that helps.
FISHFINDER101
Posted 9/26/2014 9:58 AM (#731928 - in reply to #731915)

AWESOME! Building one of these this winter. I've been using the milk crate and down spouts. I think I'll try and build something like that with half for bucktails and half with down spouts or something similar. Thanks for sharing!

I also wish there was a tackle box where the back had a section the length and width of the box that was a couple inches deep and allowed the back side open completely to hang my bucktails on hooks in there. Might be hard to picture but with the tackle box i use a lot it would be perfect. This might give you a better visual, If you picture a breif case standing up right when opened, lay on half down, leaving the other half stil standing up with cup hooks to hold bucktails. Only this would be built into the back of a tackle box or sides of one. I was also thinking about having some sort of strap that could go length wise across the middle of all the bucktails while traveling to keep them from bouncing around.
Zib
Posted 9/26/2014 10:15 AM (#731935 - in reply to #731829)

Use paper clips.

Sam Ubl
Posted 10/28/2014 2:32 PM (#737386 - in reply to #731829)

Bob from Just Encase came up with another masterful design to accommodate this very topic. I was looking for a way to stow my bucktails vertically and Bob reached out and told me he might have designed just what I was looking for. I just got it delivered yesterday, so I'll try to get some pictures up by the weekend.
musky slut
Posted 10/28/2014 2:47 PM (#737391 - in reply to #731829)

Also , for guys who want to do a home made job , just take some wire, drill a small hole through the plastic , run your wire through and bend small hooks so you can hang a bucktail in each compartment . SO, in the end the wire is W shaped .
Recon12
Posted 10/28/2014 9:33 PM (#737469 - in reply to #737391)

I second that Bob at just encase came up with an awesome way to hand your bucktails blades up. I just picked up a box from him and it rocks. Give him a call. He does great work.
genesisperformance
Posted 10/29/2014 5:13 AM (#737495 - in reply to #737469)

Bob figured out how to hang blades like others said and its pretty awesome.. my box will be going in for a new divider set this winter.

Recon12 - 10/28/2014 9:33 PM

I second that Bob at just encase came up with an awesome way to hand your bucktails blades up. I just picked up a box from him and it rocks. Give him a call. He does great work.
CnR_Angler
Posted 3/30/2015 9:35 AM (#762320 - in reply to #731829)

Anyone have photos of this solution?
achotrod
Posted 3/30/2015 11:07 AM (#762351 - in reply to #731829)

Best pic I have on me.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_20150112_213223729_zpsr9mu9i4z.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20150112_213223729_zpsr9mu9i4z.jpg (51KB - 458 downloads)
justencase
Posted 3/30/2015 1:30 PM (#762404 - in reply to #731829)

Nothing but great feedback on the Bucktail dividers - allows them to hang blades up, reduces the hang height required (i.e. Double Cowgirl goes from 12" to 9 3/4", Super Model goes from 16" to 12 3/4"). Won the new product showcase award at the Musky Expo Chicago in January in the Tackle Storage category with this new innovation.

Just Encase has also resolved the divider slot size dilemma. You no longer have to fit your baits to the slot size opening, you easily change the slot size opening to fit your baits. Great feedback on this as well. Retrofitting Just Encase boxes with previous divider set ups.

(IMG_0953 (compressed).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0953 (compressed).JPG (50KB - 399 downloads)
Sam Ubl
Posted 6/17/2015 3:40 PM (#772972 - in reply to #731829)

I love this box! Hands down, Bob, what you did here is what's been missing for far too long!
Sam Ubl
Posted 6/17/2015 3:43 PM (#772975 - in reply to #731829)

I'll update this thread with some pics of mine soon! Pics on my phone are too big
muskyhunter47
Posted 6/17/2015 3:50 PM (#772977 - in reply to #772975)

I had Bob update my box so they hang blades up
Sam Ubl
Posted 6/18/2015 8:46 AM (#773074 - in reply to #731829)

Pics as promised

(s1.png)

(df.PNG)

(ghghg.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments s1.png (196KB - 314 downloads)
Attachments df.PNG (176KB - 412 downloads)
Attachments ghghg.png (185KB - 344 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)