Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Didn't you want to catch that one" Me to a client after he pulled his Psycho Sister away from a 50"er
- (Added by: T-Bone)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> #8 French blade rotation- body/blade ratio

Message Subject: #8 French blade rotation- body/blade ratio
labdog
Posted 9/21/2014 7:45 AM (#731121)
Subject: #8 French blade rotation- body/blade ratio

So I built my first bucktail with .051, #4 Clevis, #8 French blade, 2 solid #7 brass beads, then a #1 .031 brass body, the 2 more #7 beads

Tested it, need more/quicker blade rotation

Do I decrease the size of 1st bead or change to a cone shape as that French blade runs pretty tight ? Or, do I decrease the body weight? Also, is it necessary to have a bead above the clevis?

Thanks for any help as I am new to the site and know there is a ton of experience out there.
Eaglescout2012
Posted 9/21/2014 10:27 PM (#731252 - in reply to #731121)
Subject: RE: #8 French blade rotation- body/blade ratio

I'd say either put a smaller clevis on it or smaller blades, the bead should be fine with the size it is now. If you ever have seen a bucher 700 the first bead if much bigger than the others. you should wrap the wire at least 3 times and I like to put heat shrink tubing on the part that wrapped. Make sure the loop or the hold at the end is round to, good luck.

-Zachary
Zib
Posted 9/21/2014 10:38 PM (#731253 - in reply to #731121)

You should use a #6 clevis. That #4 won't hold up, especially if the blade is the .032" thickness (I learned that the hard way). Also for the clevis it's good to use some pliers to squeeze the ends in a little to make it a "U" shape because from the factory the ends are bent out & won't spin as easily. If you put beads above the clevis only use the hollow beads. I put 2 hollow beads above mine & that helps to prevent the blade from rapping up with the leader on the cast. Also the side of the hollow bead that touches the clevis make sure there's no burrs on it.
labdog
Posted 9/22/2014 10:40 PM (#731413 - in reply to #731121)

Zach & Zib-
Thanks for the input. I'll do some more tweaking & testing. Yes, I am using the magnum French blades from Lure Parts.
FISHFINDER101
Posted 9/23/2014 9:44 AM (#731468 - in reply to #731413)

I've used the #8 magnum french blades from LPO also and have had no problems with them. I use the #6 clevis with a solid 1/4"bead under and a 1/4" hollow above the clevis. you could even go down to a 3/16" solid if you want. I've also used hollow beads underneath at times with no problems. I also check to make sure there are no burs on the beads or i take a file to them. I look at it this way, the less surface space of the clevis touching anything the easier it spins, I also make sure the blade is placed high enough up on the wire that it does not come in contact with any part of the skirt or wraps. this seems to help the blades get started easier at times and also keeps the blades from tearing up your skirt material and wraps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)