Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Musky Dads

Message Subject: Musky Dads
Esox1850
Posted 9/20/2014 10:10 AM (#731020 - in reply to #730889)
Subject: RE: Musky Dads

Lots of great ideas here. I second quite a few of them. Games, Ipads (just watch cause my little on almost tossed ours overboard), snacks, etc. Also got him a pair of cheap sunglasses because he always wants to wear my expensive pair! My wife and I hang out with him in the boat in the garage as well. He enjoys pushing all the buttons on the cd player, marine radio, sonars just everything! Always have to make sure hooks, baits, rods and tools are put away or those will be picked up.

We do short trips as well but he has napped on the water so bring a blanket and pillow. Minnows or walleyes in the baitwell or livewell is a good 15 minute diversion. Keep a tub of wipes handy too:-)

Our lil guy was about 15 months here on the boat watching the boards and keeping an eye on the rod, guess he wanted first dibs on the fish! 18 months now and he will routinely reel in outside boards into inside boards and make a mess but he has fun with it. Next summer he'll be a little bigger and will have a more comfortable life jacket. He hated it at first but we started putting it on him while the boat was in the garage and he got used to it. At his age, I definitely have to have a second person in the boat to keep an eye on him. Anything not bolted down he has attempted to throw overboard.

Lastly watch the days you go out weather wise. You don't want them to have a bad experience in rough water or foul weather. Start out slow and next thing you'll have a fishing partner for life.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (30KB - 281 downloads)
Lucky Loon
Posted 9/23/2014 7:50 AM (#731435 - in reply to #730889)
Subject: Re: Musky Dads

Early on, my wife and I committed to an annual drive-in Canadian vacation (son was 5 daughter was 3). Not really fishing trips; but beaches, swimming and shore lunches with some fishing mixed in. As they got older each of them got their own tackle box and every year we'd set them up with some new lures that we knew worked where we fished. With the lures came some nice gear and slowly more time fishing. My son really started to get into it when he was eight. We got involved with some local friendly Bass and Walleye club fishing events, where he got to be "one of the boys".

Five years later, my son (now 13) is a diehard and spent 2 weeks with me in Canada. And he was the master angler of the trip with 39" and 41" Pike along with his first Musky 36.5". My daughter had a bit of a down summer, due to a broken arm, but she will be back. She really missed throwing baits for Bass and Pike, but still got to due some one-armed trolling with the assistance of a rod holder.

The jury is still out on my youngest daughter (now 6), but she loves going to Canada, so I know there's hope that I'll have a partner in the house for many years to come.

As many have already stated; Always let the kids have fun, always invite them to join you, don't beat them up over a mistake that costs you a fish and help them have some ownership of the activity (tackle box, big kid rod and reel, sit in your lap to "drive" the boat, encourage them to understand and be comfortable handling fish, etc...).

So many children will never have a great outdoor experience, if you can expose yours to the greatness of the outdoors don't pass up the opportunity.

Blair

ShutUpNFish
Posted 9/23/2014 9:33 AM (#731464 - in reply to #730889)

Simple: Trips should ALWAYS be on their terms at that age....As much as we want to stay out there and fish, fulfilling our passion...realize they do not have it yet and will get bored easily and quickly. The last thing you want to introduce to them is a BAD experience....Start simple, with bluegills, bass or pond/creek stuff...let them frolic in the water and throw rocks in if they want. Be patient and have fun....And #1 rule is LEAVE YOUR OWN RODS AT HOME!

It won't take long before they will be begging you to go fishing....Good Luck!

Edited by ShutUpNFish 9/23/2014 9:34 AM
FISHFINDER101
Posted 9/23/2014 10:16 AM (#731474 - in reply to #730889)

My daughter is 3 and everytime she see's a muskie she says "dad thats your favorite fish right". I love her, its the best feeling in the world watching her grow up and figure things out. When she comes with me, I let her help drive the boat, camera and the net. She has already netted a couple for me and takes great pictures. I make sure she knows how proud I am of her all the time. I'm pretty good at thinking ahead of things to keep her happy while out in the boat. I also teach her about having patience as well. When I can tell she has had enough, especially on the days nothing is bitting, I focus on just her until she is happy and content. I also have to bring the portable potty chair, which has saved me many trips back to shore.
sworrall
Posted 9/23/2014 10:42 PM (#731575 - in reply to #731474)

I raised a couple boys who love fishing and hunting, and both are passing the tradition on to my Grand-kids. Cole will hunt for his first trip into the woods during the Youth Hunt in October, and fishes with us regularly.

Keith now works full time for OutdoorsFIRST, and as a result gets some time on the water, but not as much as he'd like. Brian lives over in Ashland, and has a pretty active fishing based Facebook page.

I used to take the kids out of school to go hunting and fishing in October. The teachers questioned me (understatement), and each time I sent the boys back with cool stuff we picked up from the Wyoming prairie, a report from a visited museum, or images and a story of trips to national monuments and of the trophy antelope and mule deer they harvested. Never had an issue the next time I sent in a note they'd be gone for a week.

I introduced the boys to fishing from the bank, and they fished alot in local rivers, streams, and lakes getting there on bikes. Both took the first 'real' job they had at a resort on a lake about a mile away and both 'guided' part time just showing the lake to resort visitors and then more when they were old enough to acquire a license.

Neither had any issues transitioning to Muskies when they were 9 or so. Both still fish them now, many years later.

I still remember all the matchbox cars on the floor of the boat.

I'm not absolutely positive fishing and hunting made the boys stronger, better people, but they sure improved on the teacher.
Brad P
Posted 9/24/2014 12:31 AM (#731578 - in reply to #730889)

Great stuff in here. It's been said, but make it about your kid and when they have had enough, take them home. Keep it positive. Both of my boys have been in the boat since about 6 months of age. The 5 year is all excited to name 18" minnows and try to "catch a mom" this fall when it warm enough for him to be out. Daddy can't wait either.
Big Dangler
Posted 9/25/2014 9:11 AM (#731763 - in reply to #730889)

check it

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(musky cake.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments musky cake.jpg (48KB - 293 downloads)
qwert001
Posted 9/25/2014 10:40 AM (#731776 - in reply to #730889)

my son has been musky fishing with me and my brother since he was about 4. have to agree with an earlier post, he is 19 and a freshman in college and he is already on the verge of being burned out. trips to LOTW every year, Vermillion in the fall Presque Isle in the fall, pelican lake musky league, he would rather take a walleye trip with me than musky. let them decide what they want to fish for. you have to expose them to other kinds of fishing then let them decide..... i enjoy fishing with my son so we go for what he wants to now, when we can.
Mike
MOJOcandy101
Posted 9/25/2014 11:09 AM (#731781 - in reply to #730889)

As a younger generation i grew up in a walleye house. I have many great memories of going out fishing with my dad and grandpa. taking trips to Canada and bringing all my hotwheels with. Reading this thread has brought some great memories back to growing up in a boat and all the things that my dad used to do to just get me on the water and actually enjoy my time out there. Everything i have read worked on me.

Now fast forward some time. My uncle takes me out Muskie fishing for the first time at age 20, we didnt catch anything but i had a follow that day, and saw 2 other fish and i have been a muskie fisherman ever since. I still go out for eyes with my dad, when there isnt a muskie option. He just laugh's and blames my uncle for "corrupting me" but im sure he's just happy that i am on the water.

Basically what im trying to get at is no matter what you try to steer them into, the biggest thing is have them enjoy their time on the water.
mnmusky
Posted 9/28/2014 8:28 AM (#732184 - in reply to #730889)

great day yesterday fishing with by 10 yo... trolling in 8ft of water he hooks a 53.5"giant, she was fiesty and ripped the rod out of my sons hands and pulled it into the water. thankfully, his rod crossed my line and we were able to get it before it sank or the fish took off with it. I eneded up reeling it in (at my boys request) with quite a fight and my boy netted her!
father and son tames the beast! freakin awesome times to remember!
brmusky
Posted 10/1/2014 7:07 AM (#732735 - in reply to #730889)

My boys were casting baitcasters on their own when they were 6. Topwaters and cranks are mostly what they threw the first year or two. They love being able to do it. Once they figure it out and start casting well, they start to get bored unless there is something to keep their interest.
I got some advice a while back from a fishing guide/tournament guy - he told me that he spoiled his daughter on fishing and he thinks she isn't into it as much anymore because she got used to going out and catching 40 walleyes each time and a few big ones too. She started to not get excited about 26" walleyes and he knew it was coming to an end.

So from that, I am starting to believe that it doesn't always need to be about catching fish. It needs to be about having fun or making positive memories in the boat with the family and possibly friends. Some days that might mean catching lots of fish, some days it might be snacks and minnows, some days it might just be having fun goofing off with dad. And some days it might be some serious conversations about life shared between a son and his father.

At the end of the day, I believe that the kid has to have the impression that it was their day of fishing, not that they were along for the ride. They need to feel more important (loved) than a tag along.

My kids are still both under 10 so I don't know how it will all turn out but neither of them have ever said they didn't want to go with when given the chance. Good Luck Dads!
14ledo81
Posted 10/1/2014 3:53 PM (#732828 - in reply to #730889)

My oldest son is 12. When I starting getting back into muskie fishing this summer (I had taken about a 10 year break), he wanted to try. He was starting to get somewhat discouraged when I kept catching the fish, but still wanted to go. Recently we hit a numbers lake and must have time it right. In 4 hrs of fishing, we boated 6 muskies. They were all 25''-30''. Best part is he caught his first two. He was pretty fired up.

I explained the difference between "numbers" lakes and "trophy" lakes to him. He still wants to hit the numbers lakes, so I made a deal with him. I told him we would alternate, one time he picks the lake, and the next time I do.
jaultman
Posted 10/2/2014 7:59 AM (#732921 - in reply to #732828)

I hate to wish time away, but all your stories are sure getting me pumped for my children's later years!

But these early years are a whole different kind of fun.
Chain Gang
Posted 10/3/2014 12:04 PM (#733141 - in reply to #730889)

When I was 8 my dad started taking me on the familys "guys" fishing trip, which included my grandpa and his brother, my dad and his brother and my cousin and I of the same age. On this annual trip there was a big pike and big muskie contest that involved a $20 entry fee with cash prize and a custom yearly champion baseball cap. My cousin and I got spoiled on our first year by him winning the muskie contest with a 44" and me winning the pike with a 42". This gave us bragging rights for a whole year and set us up with an uncurable addiction for fish with teeth. I am now 27 and my dad is still my favorite fishing partner, but the addiction has caused me to buy a tuffy x190 and thousands of dollars in tackle (surgeon general warning: catching big fish may cause excessive spending). With that being said, for youngsters find a way to make it fun. Take them to lakes with both pike and musky, make up a contest, let them buy a new hot lure (my cousin and I picked out fire tiger for our first trip and they all laughed at us because no one had ever used it).
Many of my best memories I have are musky fishing with dad and grandpa. Makes me anxious to have one of my own so we can get three generations in the boat again.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)