Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Musky Dads

Message Subject: Musky Dads
jaultman
Posted 9/19/2014 11:58 AM (#730889)
Subject: Musky Dads

I have two young kids who I plan to raise into musky enthusiasts. Daughter is 3 and son is almost 1.

It seems the girl will continue to love fishing as long as I stay on the path I'm on, and it's too soon to say about the boy. The other night was the first time I ever took them musky fishing together, and as you'd imagine I didn't get much casting in, but it was still fun. Little man doesn't have a clue what's going on but stays happy as long as there's food to pick up off the floor. Little girl just loves being in the boat, eating snacks, watching figure-8's, and B.S.ing.

I THINK my intuition will adequately guide me to make the right calls and avoid big mistakes to keep them interested, excited, and not burnt out BUT...

What tips, do's, and don'ts do you experienced dad's have for me? Ever "ruined" a kid? Ever got one totally, irreversibly addicted?
Slow Rollin
Posted 9/19/2014 12:04 PM (#730890 - in reply to #730889)
Subject: Re: Musky Dads

Im in the same boat. I am going to introduce lots of activities without forcing anything upon them. They will need to decide which ones they like the best and continue with. I know down the road I will rather see them spend time with their family or education vs sitting in a boat.
btfish
Posted 9/19/2014 12:04 PM (#730891 - in reply to #730889)
Subject: RE: Musky Dads

MAKE IT FUN, NEVER get upset.

When the kid has enough, as hard as it may be quit.

Bring kid friendly snacks. (Hot choclate, gummy bears, ring pops, and suckers)

Take then out and catch a few thousand blue gills first, then have them catch a few hundred bass, then they will be somewhat ready for muskies.

BUT MAKE IT FUN

That's what worked for me

Grass
Posted 9/19/2014 12:05 PM (#730892 - in reply to #730889)

I don't think you can just take them musky fishing, that's asking for trouble.
Get them hooked on panfishing first. Let them learn to love fishing for bluegills, crappies or perch and show your excitement for everyone they catch. As they get older, teach them to cast a spinning rod and let them cast for bass or pike. If you get that far, then muskies will follow.
jaultman
Posted 9/19/2014 12:14 PM (#730894 - in reply to #730892)

Good tips so far.

Not to disagree with the idea of getting them started with action fishing first, but just to offer an alternative view:

My daughter started coming musky fishing with me last summer with only a few walleye trips "under her belt". She got very used to the reality that you don't catch a fish every few minutes, like walleye fishing, and one or two fish is a good day. Maybe starting with low-action fishing right off the bat is an okay thing? If they get very accustomed to fast, steady action (like panfishing or good walleye fishing), they might get easily bored by musky fishing? Just a thought.

Disclaimer - she's not really doing any fishing of her own, of course, so maybe once she's old enough to man a rod, then I'll have to cultivate the love for fishing by getting her some good action. That makes sense.
kjgmh
Posted 9/19/2014 12:16 PM (#730897 - in reply to #730889)

I was lucky enough to have my son catch a 40" musky while he was fishing for small fish. That has him hooked. He can cast for an hour or so before he looses focus. To break it up he loves to drive the boat and open water troll. I normally run 2 musky rods and 2 walleye rods to try and get more action. He really gets into driving and watching the depthfinder, kind of a video game for him.
muskidiem
Posted 9/19/2014 12:38 PM (#730899 - in reply to #730889)

Good thoughts and questions. I too am wondering what will happen in the next few years. I have a 4, 6, 8, oldest is a girl. We really made progress this year on waiting for the gills to hit your bobber, set the hook so they don't swallow it, casting to spots, less tangles. Practice and patience equal more and bigger catches. They haven't been in boat for my casting yet, but maybe next year. I think their personalities will tell me if they can hack it or not. Funny thing this year was my wife landed a 25" northern with them in the boat, so they always say "mom caught that big fish" and get all excited about her "big" catch. My advice is to make it fun, keep putting worms on, lots of photos.
Grass
Posted 9/19/2014 12:44 PM (#730900 - in reply to #730889)

I still think your kids will miss something if they just skip panfishing and go right into sport fishing.
When I was growing up I learned to love fishing with or without my dad by catching panfish from shore or from small row boat. I did this whenever we were near the water, camping or staying at someone's cottage.
My dad was always a musky fisherman, but he never really took me musky fishing until I was an adult. That made me want to catch a musky more than anything.
My own kids are ages 9 and 6 now. They love fishing and being in the boat where ever we are. I've fished in the NCMO in Eagle River with my oldest son the last two yrs and he loves it, but still most of the fishing that we do together is panfishing. The kids get so excited when we bring a few crappies, or bluegills back for a fish fry. They ask to go back out before the motor gets cold. This yr I taught my older son to jig for bass and walleyes. He got so excited catching bass and walleyes I thought he was going to fall out of the boat. He wants to catch a musky and I know he will, but we've been having a blast catching everything else so I'm going to keep panfishing with them and pick and choose a few times to fish for muskies.
Slow Rollin
Posted 9/19/2014 12:49 PM (#730902 - in reply to #730900)

I think getting the basics down and getting the touch down by fishing pannies bass walleye etc is a very important stepping stone. Some of the best muskie anglers I know and can work and a jig and minnow like no other and have a lot of time fishing and catching other species
Imobley
Posted 9/19/2014 12:53 PM (#730905 - in reply to #730889)

its pretty simple, always make it about them and not you
Have fun!

Edited by Imobley 9/19/2014 12:57 PM
bigbite
Posted 9/19/2014 1:16 PM (#730909 - in reply to #730905)

Lots of wisdom there. If you groom them right you'll have a fishing partner(s) for life.
jaultman
Posted 9/19/2014 1:24 PM (#730911 - in reply to #730889)

Anyone had their child casting (musky baits) before the age of 10?
jonnysled
Posted 9/19/2014 1:33 PM (#730912 - in reply to #730909)

when they're young they just want to spend time with you … if you make that time enjoyable it will continue as they grow up and especially as they start making their own choices. if you make it about you and your musky fishing passion you'll have them to about 10 then lose em. they'll make you happy while they make themselves miserable when they're young … that changes LOL.

panfish are great and get em on bass and especially some big smb's and you'll never worry about whether or not they want to go out in the boat or go musky fishing as they get older.

another good thing to do if you can is to get out and fish pike on the ice … that is a great way to introduce younger kids to bigger fish and do it with action and fun.

good luck … my four are older and all of em enjoy fishing, and all of em are different.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 9/19/2014 1:35 PM (#730913 - in reply to #730909)

I take the fam out trolling a couple of times a month and it is great. I put Muskie cranks on the down rods and run planer boards with Baby Depth Raiders or #14 Husky Jerks for Walleyes, Pike or whatever. My wife usually keeps the kids entertained with their Leap Pads and usually a Pizza. We cracked a 44incher a few weeks back and my kids talk about it daily. When Walleyes and Pike hit I let my 5yr old reel them in with the rod right in the rod holder, she loves it. A patient spouse is a big help. I plan on showing my wife the finer points of trolling/steering so we can take turns playing with the kids more. Getting them to pose with me for pics has been a struggle though as they are more comfortable on the other side of the boat...I don't push them. Two hours is about the most I get out of a trolling session with them. These are my favorite outings by far.
jonnysled
Posted 9/19/2014 1:35 PM (#730914 - in reply to #730911)

jaultman - 9/19/2014 1:24 PM

yup … easier to teach a kid or a woman to throw a bait-caster than it is to teach a grown man.

the biggest limitation on a kid is a parent ...
mnmusky
Posted 9/19/2014 1:41 PM (#730916 - in reply to #730889)

Let the wee ones have a Panny pole and bobber outside the boat while dad casts for musky, then when you hook one , let the kid reel it in. Got my boy interested that way and now that he's 10, he casts for musky himself. Landed his 2nd ever this year with no help from me. He loves it! Best times for sure. Yours are a bit young yet so let them grow into it and they will.
Will Schultz
Posted 9/19/2014 1:42 PM (#730917 - in reply to #730911)

jaultman - 9/19/2014 2:24 PM Anyone had their child casting (musky baits) before the age of 10?

Yes, mine was casting a baitcaster by the time he was five, casting small buck tails and crank baits. He had a harder time learning how to use a spinning reel than a baitcaster, it's such a simple transition for kids to go from a spincast reel to a baitcaster.

My son has grown up in the outdoors/boat and has been with me fishing and hunting since he was barely able to stand. He's been fishing for all species his entire life and just enjoys being in the boat. All that said, I have ruined him on muskie fishing. He caught his first a couple weeks before his third birthday and the day before his 12th birthday, last year, caught a 55" 40#+ giant. Now he really doesn't care if he ever catches another muskie and honestly prefers to catch perch for dinner instead of muskies. If I had to do it all over again I don't think I would change anything.

Edited by Will Schultz 9/19/2014 1:43 PM
btfish
Posted 9/19/2014 1:48 PM (#730919 - in reply to #730914)

One more thing.

Actually I do think my guy was throwing a bait caster at about 8? He got his first ski when he was 10 on a hawg wabbler. He went to LOTW for the first time when he was 11 and had a ball, he even caught three fish.

But on top of all the good comments already. Make sure you have tackle that works, so you may have to spend a few buck. A back up setup is always a good idea. When my little guy went to LOTW the first time he ended his trip cranking in a backlash. I didn't find it for a few months. It was and still is a good laugh.

I would also agree with who ever said lots of pictures.

Now he even casts correct handed.

Great memories for sure.

Moon set is coming, I need to hit the water.
jaultman
Posted 9/19/2014 1:48 PM (#730921 - in reply to #730917)

Will Schultz - 9/19/2014 1:42 PM

jaultman - 9/19/2014 2:24 PM Anyone had their child casting (musky baits) before the age of 10?

Yes, mine was casting a baitcaster by the time he was five, casting small buck tails and crank baits. He had a harder time learning how to use a spinning reel than a baitcaster, it's such a simple transition for kids to go from a spincast reel to a baitcaster.

My son has grown up in the outdoors/boat and has been with me fishing and hunting since he was barely able to stand. He's been fishing for all species his entire life and just enjoys being in the boat. All that said, I have ruined him on muskie fishing. He caught his first a couple weeks before his third birthday and the day before his 12th birthday, last year, caught a 55" 40#+ giant. Now he really doesn't care if he ever catches another muskie and honestly prefers to catch perch for dinner instead of muskies. If I had to do it all over again I don't think I would change anything.

Now that is awesome.
Grass
Posted 9/19/2014 1:52 PM (#730922 - in reply to #730889)

I started my son casting a spinning rod with bass sized baits at age 8 and then this yr casting a bass sized bait caster on a 7' light action musky rod at age 9. He is good at throwing both of them and I let him throw all of my spring sized musky baits with them.
If the fishing is slow he likes to sit down in the boat, get my split ring pliers out and then re-assemble my lures into new baits that he creates.
We fished in the NCMO in Eagle River the last two yrs. He gets super excited for it, but also frustrated at not catching a musky yet.
Imobley
Posted 9/19/2014 1:55 PM (#730923 - in reply to #730911)

jaultman - 9/19/2014 2:24 PM

Yes sir, my son was casting at 6. I have a light 6 1/2' setup with a good bass reel he uses better than many adults i take out, he'll fish for 1/2 hour or so then eat and play then fish again when i have a follow

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(1270865_10100155593656432_413043238_o.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1270865_10100155593656432_413043238_o.jpg (65KB - 292 downloads)
RandalB
Posted 9/19/2014 1:57 PM (#730924 - in reply to #730889)

I'd have to agree with the Panfish, Bass, Pike, Muskie progression. Did that with my kids and they are either into it (Daughter) or Showing great determination and interest (Son). My daughter has impressed Vilas county guides with her fundamentals and focus at 14 YOA. My son has a little way to go before the guide trip, but he's making great strides at 12 and has set a goal to get his first before 14.

Not a lot you can do with Kids these days that doesn't involve some kind of electronic device, but Muskie fishing seems to be one for mine. I give full props to "Barbie" and "Danny the Dinosaur" from Zebco for panfish at an early age. You won't do much fishing yourself with putting on worms, getting hooks out of trees and unhooking unhappy bluegils, but the time spent more than pays off later in their (the kids not the bluegills..) lives. Time on the water with the kids is priceless.

JMHO,
RandalB
Grass
Posted 9/19/2014 2:14 PM (#730927 - in reply to #730924)

Here's a few pics from this summer.

(crappies.jpg)

(Fish Fry.jpg)

(Gordon Pike.jpg)

(Gordon Walleye.jpg)

(Pannies.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments crappies.jpg (39KB - 259 downloads)
Attachments Fish Fry.jpg (34KB - 253 downloads)
Attachments Gordon Pike.jpg (30KB - 273 downloads)
Attachments Gordon Walleye.jpg (38KB - 265 downloads)
Attachments Pannies.jpg (46KB - 262 downloads)
husky_jerk
Posted 9/19/2014 4:41 PM (#730942 - in reply to #730927)

Don't be surprised or disappointed if it's not their gig. My older boy used to like to go for panfish and bass. Now he never fishes, although he is always invited.

My younger son will not leave the dock after we return from fishing in the boat. He will cast musky lures off the dock until we give him the 10 cast warning.

Both boys raised the same way, just different people, and that's all good.
OpMuskie
Posted 9/19/2014 5:44 PM (#730951 - in reply to #730942)

On hot days, I filled up the live well, added a few panfish, and let my 1-2 year old "swim" with the fish in the live well. Kept him busy for a while so I could cast some more.

He is now 12. Likes to muskie fish but switches back and forth between muskie gear and bass/pike gear. I fish water that might not be my favorite muskie spot, but I know is good for bass/pike so he can get some action.
Cjmj81bass
Posted 9/19/2014 8:17 PM (#730970 - in reply to #730889)

Awesome advice guys I liked reading all of these. I don't have the privilege to fish for muskie where I live. When I take my 4 year old son fishing I always bring snacks, toys, and just make sure it's fun for him. As bad as I want to fish all day he usually only lasts 4 hours.
Hop
Posted 9/19/2014 8:53 PM (#730974 - in reply to #730889)

My daughters did great in the boat when real little. I would get a live well full of minnows and it was pure entertainment. Now the love leaches and worms. When not fishing they enjoy getting mom and dad bait. They are moving up this year to spin cast reels. Watching my six year old this year fighting about a five pound smallmouth and my eight year old trying to net it was priceless! They are excited and gearing up for November when we can just float some suckers! Can't wait!
Masqui-ninja
Posted 9/19/2014 9:06 PM (#730977 - in reply to #730974)

+1 on playing in the livewell...even a hammer-handle in there is a real blast for them. My baitwell doubles as a pottie!
Hop
Posted 9/19/2014 10:20 PM (#730985 - in reply to #730889)

Funny! the bait well in my boat also doubles as the potty!!! LOL
detroithardcore
Posted 9/20/2014 7:11 AM (#731000 - in reply to #730889)

My 6 year old and 3 year old love the water and boat. They also love going fishing but in short spurts. As this age..any fish they catch is a big deal and Muskie can be a tough fish to have your kid catch. When your kids our on the water with you it's all abou them. Forget trying to cast and fish for yourself (unless they are great at casting and fishing on their own). Fish with them until they lose interest and find something else to do on the water. As soon as my 6 year of puts rod down and bored we do something else. Go explore, let him drive boat, fill the livewell with minnows, bring iPad for shows and games, explore an island, swimming, swimming, etc. Then go back to fishing until they are bored again. I usually don't cast when I take my kids fishing. It's all about putting them on fish. Usually bobber fishing and tons of fun. Sometimes I will cast knowing I can catch a fish and increase activity and let them reel them in but not too often. If you force them they will end up hating it and Muskie's aren't a fish to get your kid hooked on fishing. I will say...every dad who plans on getting their kids into fishing should invest in a decent remote controlled boat. It was one of the best ideas I've had in a long time. I could fish and the kids would have a blast operating the boat for hours. It is kinda funny to see the bass guys get all bent outta shape if they get too close to us worried that we're scaring the fish. I can say I've had no issues catching big smallmouth with a remote controlled boat running all over where I was casting. The fish could care less. Safety is first so lead by example and wear a life vest along with them. Last, it is an absolute rule on my boat with my kids when fishing to wear polarized sunglasses. Not only will they see what I see but their eyes are protected from hooks. I see WAY too many kids fishing without sunglasses and wearing a vest. Also accept that every child is different and some very well may not enjoy the hobbies, sports or activities that you have come to love.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)