Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Metro lake access restricted hours. Need your help!!

Message Subject: Metro lake access restricted hours. Need your help!!
PHISHMAN
Posted 9/10/2014 10:01 AM (#729451)
Subject: Metro lake access restricted hours. Need your help!!

I tried to fish Harriet the other evening and turned away do to new lake access hours closing at. 8 pm and earlier I was told in November. I asked why the new hours and was told because lake was not being used during the closure hours. "No brainer" why would people fish a lake when they will get locked onto it after a certain time in the evening.
The restrictions are in place because the Minneapolis park and rec believes that by gating the launch during hours when people WON'T use launch to get on the lake that they are preventing AIS from entering the lake. Does it make sense, what's the need for a gate if people aren't entering the lake at later hrs of the evening or early early mornings. Should be no need for a gate if no ones entering (common sense). If they claim the one boat that enters at 8:00 at night or 10:00 at night is bringing in invasives is living in fear and needs to move aside and find something else to worry about.
We need to start either overwhelming the launches with league outings that won't allow for lake gates to be locked at scheduled times. Call news outlets. I thought writing and emailing the park and rec board but we all know they do as they please until their actions are brought to the publics attention. I have been actively making calls to local news outlets and need your help to continue doing the same. FOX 9 has shown interest and could use a little more public outcry and pressure to get a story covering the new restrictions and gating of the launches. The launch was built with taxpayer money. Now being restricted and controlled by the city. Let's stop letting the government heads do as they wish without public input and interests being considered in descion making process (if they even have one).

Here is FOX 9 contact number for issues and news stories (952-944-9999).
dami0101
Posted 9/10/2014 10:22 AM (#729457 - in reply to #729451)
Subject: Re: Metro lake access restricted hours. Need your help!!

It’s not that hard, find a new lake to fish or fish during the hours that the gate is open. Is it annoying? Sure. Is it the end of the world? No. As for the launch being built with tax payer money, they probably feel they are doing the taxpayers a service by making it harder for AIS to enter the lake. And I’m guessing there are more taxpayers who use the lakes for non-musky related activities, that their interests outweigh ours. I’d wager a league night is not going to keep them from chaining the launch, you know the rules, it’s your fault for not following them.
mnmusky
Posted 9/10/2014 10:44 AM (#729461 - in reply to #729451)

Agreed! Indy is the same way. Gates automatically open at 5 am with no park guy there to inspect your boat at that time. They do have a park boat inspection guy there at 7 am and beyond during peak times of year. You could go there now and there will be no one there to stop you for inspection as summer is over. I get that they want to stop the spread of invasive species ( who doesn't). But really it's just a dog & pony show and a taxpayer waste. And how does limiting launch hours reduce invasives? It doesn't! It's up to all of us to be responsible but that too is limited to common sense which some peeps just don't have.
dami0101
Posted 9/10/2014 10:56 AM (#729464 - in reply to #729461)

Every time I walked around Harriet this summer, there was someone there during the boat launch hours inspecting the boats being put in. So I would say that they want someone there inspecting the boats, to make sure that AIS doesn’t get into the lake, but they don’t want to pay them to sit there 24/7 costing the tax payers money, thus why they put up the chain when the person isn’t there.

Unfortunately this is a case of a few people ruining it for the masses. As much as I’d like to think we as fishermen are more aware of what’s going on in a lake and do everything we can to protect it, thus it’s really all the pleasure boaters faults, I think there is enough blame on both sides.
Nershi
Posted 9/10/2014 12:14 PM (#729472 - in reply to #729464)

dami0101 - 9/10/2014 10:56 AM

So I would say that they want someone there inspecting the boats, to make sure that AIS doesn’t get into the lake,

That worked pretty well on Christmas Lake didn't it?
dami0101
Posted 9/10/2014 1:28 PM (#729486 - in reply to #729472)

Nershi - 9/10/2014 12:14 PM

dami0101 - 9/10/2014 10:56 AM

So I would say that they want someone there inspecting the boats, to make sure that AIS doesn’t get into the lake,

That worked pretty well on Christmas Lake didn't it?

I wouldn’t know as I’m not familiar with that lake or the measures they were taking, so I would need more information. I will say that no matter how good of a plan you come up with, there will always be one major weakness, and that is humans. We all make mistakes, we all have bad days, and none of us are perfect. So then you need to make a decision, do you still go ahead with the plan or do you say well, someone is bound to screw up at some point so why even bother?
PHISHMAN
Posted 9/10/2014 3:18 PM (#729507 - in reply to #729451)

I have switched the lakes I primarily fish when I have a few hours after work and child duties. The closest lakes for me are Harriet and Calhoun but have not fished this year do to the restricted hours. Tried the other night for a couple hrs but was turned away do to lake closing at 8:00 pm. Here's the issue next its whitebear, bald eagle, owasso, Indy, and Forest. Once it's your lake closest to home then you will care a whole lot more. Sitting around letting government entities do as they wish is foolish. As a cnr grad. I believe in my public relations course we were taught to keep an open mind on issues and to take the publics input serious in the decision making process. They have failed miserably on this issue. So does the guy that launches a canoe at 9:00 pm not possibly bring in invasives on the anchor, trolling motor, or net. Possibly but they can freely acres the water after 8:00 pm. Or wait I should have inspected the whitetail I saw swim across the lake last year. Possibly a zebra mussel attached to its fur. Shoot it!!!!
dami0101
Posted 9/10/2014 3:55 PM (#729509 - in reply to #729507)

I live about 2 miles from Harriet and Calhoun, they are the closest lakes to home. And yes, the guy who launches a canoe at 9:00 is also possibly bringing in AIS, I also don’t think it’s right for them to still be able to get onto the water.

This isn’t a new debate, there was a multipage thread on the forums about this exact same thing either late last year or earlier this year, and the guy was talking about bringing a cutters to the lake to cut the chains. I’m not saying that it’s right to chain the entrance to the lakes. What I’m saying is that people need to understand there is a bigger picture then just the inconvenience a situation presents to them. If you want to get the P&R Board to reverse this, then you need to present them with a solution that makes everyone happy. Saying we need to have a league night so they can’t chain the launch is more likely to just get everyone’s boat locked on the lake then anything else

Personally I would never fish them with a boat because I feel it’s too much of a hassle with the electric motor restrictions and trying to find a parking. I find it incredibly stupid that they tried/turned these lakes into major fisheries and then never provided the facilities to accommodate that decision, but I know that’s not what this is about.

Also, according to statement they put out about this, the 2014 season is being used to collect data for future recommendations. So find out when they will be having a hearing on the results, and make sure to attend it and present an alternative solution.

Edited by dami0101 9/10/2014 4:02 PM
Cfollow
Posted 9/10/2014 4:07 PM (#729510 - in reply to #729509)

"Present a solution that makes everyone happy" LOL
I would be a shame if zebra mussels made it into the chain of lakes.

PHISHMAN said it best that nobody really cares until it comes to their favorite lake. Are any of you naive enough to think that we aren't close to this sort of B.S. happening state wide? If they want to chain the access then Minneapolis needs to give back all the state money used to develop that access. Did they pay for all the improvements with city money? Nope!

I was able to get the Minneapolis Park and Rec board to take down from their website a statement that read "to comply with state AIS laws one must clean and dry their boat for five days". I hate to think some well meaning individual saw that garbage and cancelled a fishing trip because of it.

2013 was supposed to be the year to collect data on the access hours. Every single time I was questioned I told them it needs to be open earlier and stay open later during the entire open water season. That sure got me what I wanted. Here is the alternate solution: raise Minneapolis taxes and have the lakes open 24/7. The libs in Minneapolis should have no problem chipping in to solve a problem that can't be solved.

Edited by Cfollow 9/10/2014 4:12 PM
Nershi
Posted 9/10/2014 4:18 PM (#729512 - in reply to #729486)

dami0101 - 9/10/2014 1:28 PM

I will say that no matter how good of a plan you come up with, there will always be one major weakness, and that is humans. We all make mistakes, we all have bad days, and none of us are perfect. So then you need to make a decision, do you still go ahead with the plan or do you say well, someone is bound to screw up at some point so why even bother?

The problem isn't human error. The problem is zebra eggs can only be seen with a microscope. I have yet to see an AIS inspector with a microscope. I am guessing milfoil seeds are pretty small too. The fact is we can't stop the inevitable, no matter how many inspectors, rules or gated lake's. Slow it down? Maybe, but that's debatable.

I think most of the folks making decisions on AIS laws know this but why pass up an opportunity to generate some revenue? A perfect example is the trailer sticker law coming next year.
bllhogg
Posted 9/10/2014 4:21 PM (#729513 - in reply to #729451)

The inspectors are a joke on Calhoun too. Had rain water in my livewell when I got to the lake (it was raining). The inspector asked me to drain it, so I did, and watched it run right into the lake.

Another time they asked me "pop" my trolling motor prop off.
bllhogg
Posted 9/10/2014 4:27 PM (#729515 - in reply to #729451)

And plenty of other times they give my boat a half ars inspection, ask where the plug is, and don't even ask about a livewell. If they're gonna do this, they should at least do it right.
dami0101
Posted 9/10/2014 4:29 PM (#729517 - in reply to #729510)

Cfollow - 9/10/2014 4:07 PM

"Present a solution that makes everyone happy" LOL
I would be a shame if zebra mussels made it into the chain of lakes.

PHISHMAN said it best that nobody really cares until it comes to their favorite lake. Are any of you naive enough to think that we aren't close to this sort of B.S. happening state wide? If they want to chain the access then Minneapolis needs to give back all the state money used to develop that access. Did they pay for all the improvements with city money? Nope!

I was able to get the Minneapolis Park and Rec board to take down from their website a statement that read "to comply with state AIS laws one must clean and dry their boat for five days". I hate to think some well meaning individual saw that garbage and cancelled a fishing trip because of it.

2013 was supposed to be the year to collect data on the access hours. Every single time I was questioned I told them it needs to be open earlier and stay open later during the entire open water season. That sure got me what I wanted. Here is the alternate solution: raise Minneapolis taxes and have the lakes open 24/7. The libs in Minneapolis should have no problem chipping in to solve a problem that can't be solved.

So is it your position that nothing can be done about AIS and thus they shouldn’t try to do anything about it?

From the AIS FAQ:
How was the inspection/launch season determined?
Based on data collected in 2013, DNR training dates, and average ice off dates; May 1 was determined to be the best date for opening the launches. December 1 is just before ice on and the last day of Muskie finishing season.

Is this change permanent?
The Board action is for 2014. During the AIS inspection period, the Park Board will collect data on lake usage to help form a recommendation to the Board on what AIS prevention actions will be taken in the future.

So the above two FAQ items say to me that 2013 was when they gathered data to see when the launches should be open and that 2014 is when they will see what is and is not working and then make recommendations for the future. Also, they at least recognize people want to fish for muskies on the lakes.
dami0101
Posted 9/10/2014 4:35 PM (#729520 - in reply to #729512)

Nershi - 9/10/2014 4:18 PM

dami0101 - 9/10/2014 1:28 PM

I will say that no matter how good of a plan you come up with, there will always be one major weakness, and that is humans. We all make mistakes, we all have bad days, and none of us are perfect. So then you need to make a decision, do you still go ahead with the plan or do you say well, someone is bound to screw up at some point so why even bother?

The problem isn't human error. The problem is zebra eggs can only be seen with a microscope. I have yet to see an AIS inspector with a microscope. I am guessing milfoil seeds are pretty small too. The fact is we can't stop the inevitable, no matter how many inspectors, rules or gated lake's. Slow it down? Maybe, but that's debatable.

I think most of the folks making decisions on AIS laws know this but why pass up an opportunity to generate some revenue? A perfect example is the trailer sticker law coming next year.

I must be missing the part where the MPLS P&R Board is making money off of these boat launch closers. If anything, this is costing them money to employ the inspectors, and probably costing some of the local businesses some money as well.
dami0101
Posted 9/10/2014 4:39 PM (#729523 - in reply to #729515)

bllhogg - 9/10/2014 4:27 PM

And plenty of other times they give my boat a half ars inspection, ask where the plug is, and don't even ask about a livewell. If they're gonna do this, they should at least do it right.

I agree with this statement, the problem is it’s boring ass job that doesn’t pay a lot, and every inspector I’ve seen has been some young kid, which probably only makes them care even less about the job. I’ve had inspectors just give me a pass because they knew I had been musky fishing and apparently musky fisherman don’t fill up their livewells.
PHISHMAN
Posted 9/10/2014 6:48 PM (#729548 - in reply to #729517)

The data that will be collected in 2014 will be skewed as those that would normally use the lake if the hours were not restricted are not there anymore to provide data and feed back. We now have been forced to fish the outer metro lakes. If you get done with work at 5:30 deal with traffic and show up to Calhoun that leaves you with maybe an hour or 2 before the gates go up. So those of us who would normally use the inner metro lakes are no longer using them. Data is no longer coming from those that were using the lake a year or two ago. The data that they are collecting this year is coming from those that accepted having their boat launch access hours restricted. 2013-2014 data is no longer coming from many of us who used to use the lakes more often than we do now as a result of the restrictions put in place.
PHISHMAN
Posted 9/10/2014 6:56 PM (#729552 - in reply to #729451)

Someone remind the inspectors these restrictions were put in place a year ago not 3 years ago. Typical false comments to support their position.
Cfollow
Posted 9/11/2014 7:11 AM (#729621 - in reply to #729548)

PHISHMAN - 9/10/2014 6:48 PM

The data that will be collected in 2014 will be skewed as those that would normally use the lake if the hours were not restricted are not there anymore to provide data and feed back. We now have been forced to fish the outer metro lakes. If you get done with work at 5:30 deal with traffic and show up to Calhoun that leaves you with maybe an hour or 2 before the gates go up. So those of us who would normally use the inner metro lakes are no longer using them. Data is no longer coming from those that were using the lake a year or two ago. The data that they are collecting this year is coming from those that accepted having their boat launch access hours restricted. 2013-2014 data is no longer coming from many of us who used to use the lakes more often than we do now as a result of the restrictions put in place.

Absolutely nailed it PHISHMAN!!! Bravo!! I am one not providing any data since I am just not dealing with the headache of enjoying those fisheries.

Give me one example of an alphabet organization stopping the spread of AIS! There isn't one; but let's spend millions on the charade of slowing them down.
dami0101
Posted 9/11/2014 10:07 AM (#729644 - in reply to #729621)

Cfollow - 9/11/2014 7:11 AM

PHISHMAN - 9/10/2014 6:48 PM

Absolutely nailed it PHISHMAN!!! Bravo!! I am one not providing any data since I am just not dealing with the headache of enjoying those fisheries.

Give me one example of an alphabet organization stopping the spread of AIS! There isn't one; but let's spend millions on the charade of slowing them down.

Once again, I ask, is it your position then that nothing should be done to try and stop/slow down the spread of AIS?
mnmusky
Posted 9/11/2014 10:19 AM (#729648 - in reply to #729451)

Obviously no one has the answer. The DNR is bound by budgets. The law makers go by skewed data and those willing to line their pockets. It's just upsetting to see they do this lame attempt. I do like and encourage the radio spots used to at least get boaters to take it upon themselves to police their own boats by removing weeds , drain plugs, wells, etc.. it's a problem that no one has a solution to as yet. Probably will be too late when the solution is (if) found. Government red tape is miles thick.
PHISHMAN
Posted 9/11/2014 10:20 AM (#729649 - in reply to #729451)

Nope it's not my position to do nothing. Have the inspectors at the launch when they want the inspectors there. Teach and educate at the launches. SIMPLE!!! Loose the gate.
jfreborg
Posted 9/11/2014 10:48 AM (#729654 - in reply to #729649)

"Nope it's not my position to do nothing. Have the inspectors at the launch when they want the inspectors there. Teach and educate at the launches. SIMPLE!!! Loose the gate"

+1 !! Education will always be the best option. Nothing is 100% effective, including locking an access down.

dami0101
Posted 9/11/2014 11:31 AM (#729659 - in reply to #729654)

Education also has it flaws. Just because I’m educated about AIS, doesn’t mean I’m going to do anything about it. People are educated about the effects of smoking, yet millions still do it. As I said in one of my previous statements, the major flaw in any plan is that it will rely upon humans, be it human inspectors at landings or humans checking their own boats.
jfreborg
Posted 9/11/2014 11:51 AM (#729665 - in reply to #729659)

So you advocate locking the access then? I don't understand your position, clearly everything will have it's flaws. I don't fish these lakes but I don't support locking of any access. I emailed and called last year to voice my opinion based on principal.

Edited by jfreborg 9/11/2014 11:55 AM
Nershi
Posted 9/11/2014 12:20 PM (#729668 - in reply to #729659)

dami0101 - 9/11/2014 11:31 As I said in one of my previous statements, the major flaw in any plan is that it will rely upon humans, be it human inspectors at landings or humans checking their own boats.

Maybe we should just get rid of all the humans.

Dami do you have any ideas other than restricting access to public waters that are funded by tax payers?

My biggest fear is where this all ends. How many closed accesses will it take before people put their foot down on the spread of AIS misinformation.
kap
Posted 9/11/2014 6:03 PM (#729707 - in reply to #729668)

i believe slowing down the spread of zebra mussels is a good thing.

not sure it can be stopped, but slowing it down has to be a positive.

we are not sure of how it will ultimately effect each lake, but i have seen some changes to mille lacs and one of those is a blue algae that kills the start of the forage cycle.

closing an access will surely slow the spread, but i am against that.
i request that they open the launch earlier in the morning as well everytime
i launch, i will say that the calhoun and harriet are some of the most proficient inspectors i have encountered
PHISHMAN
Posted 9/11/2014 8:15 PM (#729721 - in reply to #729451)

Here are some things we all should consider when taking a position on lake restrictions on public launches.
What would you think and what actions would you take if EVERY launch statewide was restricted to 6:00 am to 10:00 pm from fishing opener until Labor Day. Then 8:00 am to 8:00 pm in September and then 8:00 am to 6:00 pm in November? And are the lakes you love to fish more valuable than the lakes the "other guy" on this site loves to fish?

Edited by PHISHMAN 9/11/2014 8:31 PM
esoxriebe
Posted 9/12/2014 12:35 AM (#729729 - in reply to #729451)

Ok I would try to bring intelligent solutions to them. It would be cheaper in the long run for the local government to install mandatory wash stations at every launch to prevent invasive species by requiring the washing of your boat and trailer with a self service station that is video monitored and heavy fines in place for those that disobey the rules this would do a lot more good then a inspector and the fines and costs cut down by not having as many people employed would actually save them money or possibly make them money which is all the government really cares about anyway. The Illinois tollway has no problem monitoring a million cars a day on the tollway with today's technologies it would not be difficult. Just an idea
jaultman
Posted 9/12/2014 7:56 AM (#729745 - in reply to #729729)

esoxriebe, I like that idea MUCH better than having landings shut down at night.
dami0101
Posted 9/12/2014 9:12 AM (#729755 - in reply to #729721)

PHISHMAN - 9/11/2014 8:15 PM

Here are some things we all should consider when taking a position on lake restrictions on public launches.
What would you think and what actions would you take if EVERY launch statewide was restricted to 6:00 am to 10:00 pm from fishing opener until Labor Day. Then 8:00 am to 8:00 pm in September and then 8:00 am to 6:00 pm in November? And are the lakes you love to fish more valuable than the lakes the "other guy" on this site loves to fish?

Well if they did that, it still wouldn’t affect me because I don’t fish past sundown. I’ not saying that access to lakes should be barred, especially when it’s only for one group. What I’m saying is, it’s not enough to a forum or call up the local news and complain about it. You also need to bring a solution or compromise that works for both parties.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)