Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I really don't consider Shawano Lake to be a weedy lake - Greenduck
- (Added by: H2O)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Marabou Question

Message Subject: Marabou Question
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 9/2/2014 11:52 PM (#728349)
Subject: Marabou Question

I realize most of you guys are doing much more demanding work than making bucktails, but I can only make those at this time. I made some with marabou to pass the time last year. When I combine black marabou with other colors the black tends to bleed onto the other colors. Any tips to prevent the black from bleeding? Should I rinse it a while, use something to set the color before tying it up?

On a positive note, the 2 fish I got up in MN came on homemade bucktails. That helped make up for them being kind of small.
bigbite
Posted 9/3/2014 7:26 AM (#728366 - in reply to #728349)
Subject: RE: Marabou Question

That's one of the drawbacks to using black. I would suggest that you position the darker colors toward the bottom of the bait to reduce bleeding or make the bait totally black. Red is another "bleeder."

Edited by bigbite 9/3/2014 7:28 AM
FISHFINDER101
Posted 9/3/2014 11:43 AM (#728419 - in reply to #728349)
Subject: Re: Marabou Question

agree with bigbite on this, they look awesome to begin with but will bleed. I tend to try and over compensate for lighter colors mixed with black or red. I also tend to put the darker colors on the bottom as well. One other thing i do to help slow the bleeding process is make sure to drain as much water as possible out of them when im done, seperate the marabou as much as possible and hang out to dry as quickly as possible. I've also gone to mixing in some bucktail/hackle (which doesnt seem to bleed as much) or using different color flash to give it some color.

Edited by FISHFINDER101 9/3/2014 11:44 AM
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 9/3/2014 11:16 PM (#728546 - in reply to #728349)

Thanks for the feedback. I really doubt the fish minded, since both hit on blackish/pink and blackish/chartreuse. Just not as nice looking to me.
FISHFINDER101
Posted 9/4/2014 8:03 AM (#728568 - in reply to #728546)

no they dont, two of my best marabou bucktails are a couple years old now and look nothing like they did when they started. i think a lot of it is the sounds and blades. Pretty lures catch more fisherman lol.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)