Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Lure Design Challenge: Making a Small, Double-Bladed In-line Bucktail That Spins Well

Message Subject: Lure Design Challenge: Making a Small, Double-Bladed In-line Bucktail That Spins Well
BrianF.
Posted 9/2/2014 4:14 PM (#728283)
Subject: Lure Design Challenge: Making a Small, Double-Bladed In-line Bucktail That Spins Well

I find it maddening to fish small double-bladed in-line bucktails due to the difficulty in getting them to start spinning. Even the products in this category made by big name Bucktail makers suffer this problem, if not initially then eventually, as the blades and wire shaft bend ever so slightly with normal use.

I am determined to make a small double-bladed in-line Bucktail that spins with the first turn of the handle, even as the bait begins to suffer from normal wear and tear. Maybe others are interested in this challenge?

Starting from scratch, I think the first order of business is to design the perfect bait in this category. That is what is going through my head and where I'm asking for your help.

Since I haven't fished them all, what small, double-bladed Bucktail spins the most easily on the initial few cranks of the reel handle? Is there a design that mass producers haven't brought to the market which would solve this problem?

Help!

Brian

miket55
Posted 9/2/2014 4:34 PM (#728287 - in reply to #728283)
Subject: Re: Lure Design Challenge: Making a Small, Double-Bladed In-line Bucktail That Spins Well

How small?
Musky junkie
Posted 9/2/2014 4:43 PM (#728290 - in reply to #728283)
Subject: RE: Lure Design Challenge: Making a Small, Double-Bladed In-line Bucktail That Spins Well

Esox Assault is the only twin 8 that I can get to spin immediately. Definitely worth checking them out.
dcorfman
Posted 9/2/2014 4:45 PM (#728291 - in reply to #728283)
Subject: Re: Lure Design Challenge: Making a Small, Double-Bladed In-line Bucktail That Spins Well

Try 2 different size blades (smallest in front). I have heard that will help the blades not stick together and, thus, spin. I have had pretty good luck with the Figure 8 Enforcer (twin fluted #6 blades) spinning well. I have had issues with it not sinking quickly enough in its stock form, so you end up dragging it on the surface a little too often.
Juhas
Posted 9/2/2014 5:13 PM (#728294 - in reply to #728291)

I hear you. Have several double show girls that have problems starting or stop totally if you tick a weed. Went to Spanky double 8's and not a problem.
mnmusky
Posted 9/2/2014 5:18 PM (#728296 - in reply to #728283)

reinvent the clevis, or come up with something other than a clevis.
jdsplasher
Posted 9/2/2014 5:24 PM (#728297 - in reply to #728294)

I would suggest going with the smaller Indiana's. They turn the best on start up. Been making them for years. #6,7,8, even 9's, and not a ton of drag.

If your dead set on Colorado's, try different sizes, like a #6 with a 7,   or a #7 with a 8. This will help with start up.

I build a #5 turtle back that start up on Q,  My wife and I usually fight over who's throwing the small turtle backs...:)

Guiding Pewaukee Muskies

JD 

Muskiemetal
Posted 9/2/2014 6:46 PM (#728309 - in reply to #728283)

I started testing these steel blades that are a little bit bigger than the 8's. It's an Indiana shape compared to the colorados but they are very lightweight but strong. They spin up the fastest of any of the blades I have used. I have several customers that need to have fast spin ups for shallow water and river fishing. Have had positive reviews from the field.
muskie! nut
Posted 9/2/2014 11:44 PM (#728348 - in reply to #728283)

One of the easiest spinning small bucktails are the Mepps. Try using what they use, a folded clevis. They may not last like the others, but they will spin freely when cranked. In the early season I use the double 5s Mepps Musky Killers and they work great. They however are not "muskie proof" so I took them apart, added a solid rig to attach the 5/0 dressed hook (they come with a puny 2/0 or 3/0 hook) with a split ring. Also able to change dressed hook colors. Didn't get any muskies, but the pike ate they up.
EsoxAddiction
Posted 9/3/2014 12:09 AM (#728350 - in reply to #728290)
Subject: RE: Lure Design Challenge: Making a Small, Double-Bladed In-line Bucktail That Spins Well

Musky junkie - 9/2/2014 4:43 PM

Esox Assault is the only twin 8 that I can get to spin immediately. Definitely worth checking them out.

^^^^^^ This....the only small double bladed inline that work 99% of the time. The other 1% is when you cast into weeds and it fouls Their drones (6's) are phenomenal and their 8's are very good also.
genesisperformance
Posted 9/3/2014 5:17 AM (#728357 - in reply to #728283)

I recently bought some double 8 Muskie Underground blades and they start right away
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/3/2014 8:40 AM (#728379 - in reply to #728283)

The Bigtooth Tackle Juice mini 8s spin really well. The longer wire on top seems to help and I put a little bend in it too which helps with a few things like making more vibration, keeping it from twisting your line, and making the blades spin instantly. Never had a problem with these baits.
BrianF.
Posted 9/3/2014 9:35 AM (#728388 - in reply to #728283)

What exactly is it from a design perspective that makes good (small twin) spinners 'good spinners'?? For our discussion, a 'good spinner' = blades start turning immediately.

Some mentioned the clevis. Some mentioned thinner wire. Some mentioned blade thickness. What are the essential elements of a 'good spinner' in this small twin-blade bucktail category? Does the metal body need to be very thin relative to larger bladed baits? Are smaller clevis' a key? What about the metal component against which the clevis' spin?

I'm going to Thorne Bros today to pick-up needed components and purchase some of the baits ID'd above to see for myself what sets them apart from the others.

Brian
ToddM
Posted 9/3/2014 10:06 AM (#728396 - in reply to #728283)

Small solid bead. Make sure the clevise holes are 90 degrees to the wire. You will have to tweek them with pliers to get them there. Make sure the blades are spaced far enough away from the skirt so they don't interfere on start up. Not much but 1/4" will do. I dont think a folded clevise will work with double blades.
BNelson
Posted 9/3/2014 8:47 PM (#728526 - in reply to #728283)

Brian, that has been one of the reasons I hate/don't throw anything smaller than 9s typically... the only ones I have found to spin well from the start are Spankys 8s... that said I have not tried Esox Assaults...
FAT-SKI
Posted 9/3/2014 8:54 PM (#728529 - in reply to #728396)

sent you a PM
BrianF.
Posted 9/3/2014 10:00 PM (#728538 - in reply to #728283)

Brad...exactly! This is the problem. Sometimes the fish show a strong preference for small blades and we need to be prepared. Just bought or ordered up several of the baits mentioned here to try to get to the bottom of this question. I want to order a couple of EA drones, but couldn't figure out the color schemes available on line. Maybe some one can help in this regard? Then I'll place the order. The field testing and analysis will be unbiased, and I'm not opposed to stealing several ideas that work in order to get this right. Stacking the best practices, as they say business. Thanks to those who pm'd me. I'm open to all suggestions and BSTs at this point. Brian
Cowboyhannah
Posted 9/3/2014 10:21 PM (#728539 - in reply to #728283)

Try .047 wire and the smallest clevises that fit. 1-2 fish then cut and reload components on a new piece of wire. Not the most durable but reliable and very functional.
BenR
Posted 9/3/2014 11:50 PM (#728549 - in reply to #728283)

I think many people who feel it has been a slow year are throwing 9's and up...
musky513
Posted 9/5/2014 2:52 PM (#728794 - in reply to #728283)

I have found that a lot of the little bladed baits that don't spin right away have clevises that aren't symmetrical. A little tweak with a needle nose to form the clevis into a perfect "U" and they start spinning right away upon hitting the water. If they are more like "V" or a "C" they don't work as well. Another key I have found is to stop the spool from spinning, and begin your retrieve immediately or even just before the bait hits the water.
Mojo1269
Posted 9/5/2014 3:26 PM (#728799 - in reply to #728283)

I have been on Cedar lake for the last 7 days and have been using a Dadson Lazer. It is built like a showgirr but on heavier wire and weight more. I have been tossing it with my MH Predator and a 300EJ and have had no issues with the blades opening ALA The Showgirl or any other small sized doulbe bladed bait. I have tossed the crap out of this thing and have 2 fish on it. I have used it to scout of when I need to take a break from casting big blades. Very impresssed with it. I will definatley buy more.
As an aisde if you get the change fish this lake. I had a 3 fish day today and that gives me 11 since last Saturday (7 of those 11 went 44-48, Very fat healthy fish... I will get out for 3 or 4 more hours tonight and then I have the long 497 mile drive home tomorow...
samuwenn
Posted 9/5/2014 9:13 PM (#728837 - in reply to #728283)

any one use thease? seem like a awesome thing to me, sad thing about it was i was talking to friends about this problem and thought of the s shaped clevis and then the next day saw some in the store haha

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(10101.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 10101.jpg (4KB - 368 downloads)
BrianF.
Posted 9/5/2014 9:51 PM (#728839 - in reply to #728283)

Yes, bought some and found S-shaped clevis' are not the answer based on my firsthand experiments with them. Granted, I was using larger blades than what we are talking about here in this thread. Wish the manufacturer would reverse one side of these and make an open-ended O-shaped clevis. Then, we might have something...blades always perfectly opposing each other. For me, the S-shaped clevis' didn't provide that benefit, when in theory they would seem to. Brian
chadw18
Posted 9/5/2014 11:24 PM (#728844 - in reply to #728837)

samuwenn - 9/5/2014 9:13 PM

any one use thease? seem like a awesome thing to me, sad thing about it was i was talking to friends about this problem and thought of the s shaped clevis and then the next day saw some in the store haha

I have tied a couple with this style of clevis and I found it doesn't seem to help the start but it seems it makes the pull easier. I am not sure whether that is a good thing, maybe the blades spin together helping?, or whether they're not allowing the blades to create such a wake like the standard clevis does with double 10s.
beaglerr
Posted 9/6/2014 4:18 PM (#728896 - in reply to #728283)

long 497 mile drive. I go to Wabigoon 1 to 3 times a year and its 1040 one way.Sounds like your having great time
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)