Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: You cant drink all day if you dont start in the morning!
- (Added by: WI Skis)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Need help with crankbait prototype....

Message Subject: Need help with crankbait prototype....
muskie tamer
Posted 9/2/2014 1:50 PM (#728247)
Subject: Need help with crankbait prototype....

This is my first attempt a making a crankbait, and so far im quiet pleased with the way its turned out. I tried it out and it just wanted to roll so I ended up putting more weight in it as you can see from the one pic. Tried it again and its much better and has a nice wide wobble at anything under 3.5 mph, anything over that and it wants to roll again, not all the time but enough to effects its action . I'm guessing that I need to add some more weight, thought I would ask for some opinions before I start drilling more holes in it. Thanks for any help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-DIjSk5Fnk&list=UUmOPtvdyR5u0W5r4gQ...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(proto3.jpg)

(proto2.jpg)

(proto1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments proto3.jpg (85KB - 139 downloads)
Attachments proto2.jpg (95KB - 140 downloads)
Attachments proto1.jpg (79KB - 145 downloads)
mnmusky
Posted 9/2/2014 2:48 PM (#728263 - in reply to #728247)
Subject: Re: Need help with crankbait prototype....

How does it sit at rest? Looks front heavy.
FISHFINDER101
Posted 9/2/2014 3:09 PM (#728268 - in reply to #728247)

I'm not sure how you decided on top of lure or bottom but i remember reading a while back to first set the wood piece in the water to see which way it wanted to float and then continue to add weight as needed. Then again the lip and shape could both be factors as well.
muskie tamer
Posted 9/2/2014 3:36 PM (#728275 - in reply to #728247)

It is a little front heavy. Should the weight be more evened out?
mnmusky
Posted 9/2/2014 3:57 PM (#728280 - in reply to #728247)

Try running it with an egg sinker clipped on the tail hook. Then try the middle hook. See how that goes for you. If it runs better, you can drill out some lead in front and add to rear part of lure. You want it balanced for the most part. The lip will do the digging and diving. Lots of factors to how a crank will run. Weight, lip angle, bait shape, etc...
Trophyseeker50
Posted 9/2/2014 5:38 PM (#728298 - in reply to #728247)

Like joe said there are lots of factors that will effect action. That bait has some wild action. Very cool but my guess is that because of the shape of the lure you would have a hard time getting enough weight low on the bait to stabilize it. You could also try a slightly smaller lip.

It's a really cool action but my guess is that at faster speeds it will have a hard time centering back up. Another thing that I've found with wood cranks is that lighter woods seem to work better. I tried maple and had a tough time getting it to not spin out. A simple change to cedar helped a lot. I believe that that was because the bait body was too heavy to let the lip do it's work.
muskie tamer
Posted 9/2/2014 6:01 PM (#728302 - in reply to #728247)

The weight was pretty evened out when i started the bait. Tried out and it ran like crap, cut about 3/8" off the lip and added more weight to the front and it ran much better. And its made of pine ship it is pretty buoyant. Don't know if i want to trim to much more of the lip cause i won't be able to add more.
Landonfish
Posted 9/2/2014 7:50 PM (#728315 - in reply to #728247)

I don't think I would change a thing to that bait. It will get slammed for sure with that wobble. Just don't troll as fast when you run it. But if you wanted to change I would either cut more lip off or move the line tie forward. You could drill a couple holes in the lip and add another line tie in front and loop it around the tie you have
ShutUpNFish
Posted 9/3/2014 7:29 AM (#728367 - in reply to #728247)

That is a nice action...I'd try to keep tweaking it until you get it to run 4.5....You don't NEED to troll 5 mph. The main reason you are having problems is because of the overall body shape and how it glides through the water. If you change the body shape though, your action will be completely different and I don't think you want that. Adding weight is a good idea, however it is a PIA, especially the amount you are needing to add. If the bait is just for personal use, then OK; however, if you plan on marketing the bait, I would consider a different material than wood where you can control the weight much better. Also, being that you are working with wood, you won't get the consistency in action.

Another suggestion would be the lip. Try various sizes and angles. In your case, this lip appears to need to be a bit wider for your body size. Another consideration would be to try to move your line tie closer to the nose of the bait... Trial and error are key and a lot of experimentation!

Great job on the walleye paint job too by the way...

Good Luck

Edited by ShutUpNFish 9/3/2014 7:33 AM
muskie tamer
Posted 9/3/2014 7:54 PM (#728518 - in reply to #728247)

Hey thanks for the input guys. I may tweak the next one I'm building. Might try and move the lip up more and give it slightly more of a down angle. Not sure what I'm going to do with the line tie just yet, i really like how this one moves through the water. I tied a 3/4 oz weight to fit i in between the middle and tail hook and i could get up to about 5mph. Thanks for the compliment on the paint Paul, means allot come from a guy who does such great work, and i wouldn't even know where to start with resin or plastic.

Edited by muskie tamer 9/3/2014 8:08 PM
ShutUpNFish
Posted 9/4/2014 8:35 AM (#728577 - in reply to #728247)

Ryan, there are a lot of videos and tutorials out there on the web...a good start would be Alumilite's site...go to the "Lure Building" links....Good Luck to you.
muskie tamer
Posted 9/15/2014 9:08 AM (#730160 - in reply to #728247)
Subject: RE: Need help with crankbait prototype....

Heres try number 2. It turned out real good, I made the lip wider and a little bit shorter. I also add 2 line ties to see where it would run better and evened out the weight as well. it ran much better in the water with the line tie closer to the bait at varied speeds, it runs well from a crawl to well above 5 mph. The wobble isn't as wide as the first prototype, but it doesn't even come close to rolling like the first did. It ran ok on the first line tie but would start to roll. I also made a smaller 6.5" version that ran good and im very happy the way it turned out. Both seem to run deep exact depths are not known but with roughly 30 to 40 feet of line out it was scraping the bottom in 13 to 15 feet of water. Maybe when I get some more done i'll have to find someone to test it for me to find the running depths cause I have no idea how to find that out. Over all im a pleased with the way they have turned considering these were my first attempts at make a crankbait, I have some jerk/glides baits in the works but i'll post them later in a different post. Thanks for the tips guys I think it really helped out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3NgAiu8Kr4&list=UUmOPtvdyR5u0W5r4gQ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kL-JC4GY_M&list=UUmOPtvdyR5u0W5r4gQ...

Edited by muskie tamer 9/15/2014 9:13 AM

(img20140915_083004.jpg)

(img20140915_083047.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments img20140915_083004.jpg (88KB - 165 downloads)
Attachments img20140915_083047.jpg (91KB - 137 downloads)
mnmusky
Posted 9/15/2014 9:17 AM (#730161 - in reply to #728247)

They look great! Get some teeth in em.
musky slut
Posted 9/15/2014 9:54 AM (#730167 - in reply to #728247)

Love em
Riley-H
Posted 9/15/2014 7:43 PM (#730251 - in reply to #728247)

Looks like you are on too a winner, let me know if you wanna sell any.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 9/16/2014 7:23 AM (#730280 - in reply to #728247)

I definitely like the action of the first one better still...I would not stop trying to make that one for slower trolling applications IMO. It would work great especially early spring and late fall....Nice work.
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/16/2014 12:43 PM (#730322 - in reply to #728247)
Subject: RE: Need help with crankbait prototype....

Awesome looking work. Because I have a ton of round lipped cranks, If you made one that ran well with a squared off lip, I'd buy.
crazywaynee
Posted 9/19/2014 8:16 AM (#730833 - in reply to #728247)

One thing that I would look at is how straight the lip is, just hold the lure facing you and see if the lip is square with the lure. Had the same problem, and during the testing you must look at each lure it makes a big difference. If you cut the lip first on a square block how square is that block when you cut, check from lure to lure.
Wayne
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)