Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Something better then Stay-Loc snaps available?

Message Subject: Something better then Stay-Loc snaps available?
lifeisfun
Posted 8/30/2014 4:47 PM (#727817)
Subject: Something better then Stay-Loc snaps available?

After great morning of fishing today I have experienced hearth breaking stay-loc snap failure.
High 40 fish hit hard about 10' from the boat and it immediately started rolling, 2 seconds later gone. I couldn't believe my eyes, and immediately thought that the line or leader were cut but to my shock the Stay-Loc snap was undone. I'm positive ghat it was fine and locked since we caught 50+ fish just minutes before and I checked the leader line and connections after that fish, and didn't change the bait.
We stayed in the area for hours and seen the fish trying to shake the lure but never managed to race to the spot and scoop it.
The bait is hanging outside her mouth, so I hope she will be able to get rid of it. Hate to think that she will end up as turtle food
Is there any better snaps or only split ring would be more reliable?

Thanks

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(106697.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 106697.jpg (8KB - 281 downloads)
Musky Face
Posted 8/30/2014 6:43 PM (#727829 - in reply to #727817)
Subject: Re: Something better then Stay-Loc snaps available?

I change them out all the time. The more often you change lures, the more you should replace them. I would replace them when they start turning silver that means you have been bending them lot. I had a lure hit the floor of the boat once right after i reeled in and just about to cast out again. They get week, replace them all the time even if they look good. Better safe than sorry.
lifeisfun
Posted 8/30/2014 7:49 PM (#727834 - in reply to #727817)

It happened to me before that they cracked but never just opened.
jchiggins
Posted 8/30/2014 9:20 PM (#727845 - in reply to #727817)

That's why I split ring all my baits directly to my leader.
pklingen
Posted 8/30/2014 9:24 PM (#727847 - in reply to #727817)

IMO the best snaps out there, i use 4's and 5's. nothing is 100%. i change them when they get shiny and discard. the next step up would be just use a heavy duty split ring. sorry for your loss..................you'll catch others in the future. good luck.
fish4musky1
Posted 8/30/2014 9:34 PM (#727849 - in reply to #727847)

lighten the drag a little, those are rated to 200 lbs (size 5).
Propster
Posted 8/30/2014 9:38 PM (#727851 - in reply to #727817)

Super Snap from AHL
VMS
Posted 8/30/2014 9:48 PM (#727852 - in reply to #727817)

Hiya,

Lost a few baits to snaps (not stay-loc) which for the past 7 years or so now have gone split ring on everything.

I actually think you get better action on smaller lures going with the split ring as well...

Steve
Jeremy
Posted 8/30/2014 10:43 PM (#727862 - in reply to #727851)

Propster - 8/30/2014 9:38 PM

Super Snap from AHL

X2. Dang near gotta use a pliers to open them. Incredibly strong!!!

Given that I have a friend who never uses snaps. He uses a twisted, burnt wire to make his own leaders w/a ring on both ends, one to the bait and the other he reties his Crawford knot every time he changes baits.

Quick. Strong. 1000%!! Never one single issue. Can't argue with that. I'm thinking of doing the same. Never got him into trouble and he takes many, many fish over the 40 yrs he's been at it. He's retired now, still does it that way.
lifeisfun
Posted 8/31/2014 4:05 AM (#727879 - in reply to #727847)

pklingen - 8/30/2014 10:24 PM

IMO the best snaps out there, i use 4's and 5's. nothing is 100%. i change them when they get shiny and discard. the next step up would be just use a heavy duty split ring. sorry for your loss..................you'll catch others in the future. good luck.

Thanks, I couldn't care less that I didn't boat that fish, but what eats me is that I probably killed it
lifeisfun
Posted 8/31/2014 4:10 AM (#727880 - in reply to #727851)

Propster - 8/30/2014 10:38 PM

Super Snap from AHL

I tried to find some pictures of it but no luck
Can you point me to the right direction?
Thanks
lifeisfun
Posted 8/31/2014 4:28 AM (#727881 - in reply to #727852)

VMS - 8/30/2014 10:48 PM

Hiya,

Lost a few baits to snaps (not stay-loc) which for the past 7 years or so now have gone split ring on everything.

I actually think you get better action on smaller lures going with the split ring as well...

Steve

What size of split rings do you use?
Thanks
Bondy
Posted 8/31/2014 6:11 AM (#727886 - in reply to #727817)

Alligator rolling musky in the net opened too many snaps for me. Number 7 heavy split ring is all I use and have for a long time. The other day we caught a lure off the bottom with a nice ball bearing flouro leader on it. It had a snap though. Well long story short we started using it, and my client hooks a 50" and as we got it in the net, I noticed the snap was wide open. Never again in my boat...
lifeisfun
Posted 8/31/2014 6:23 AM (#727887 - in reply to #727886)

Bondy - 8/31/2014 7:11 AM

Alligator rolling musky in the net opened too many snaps for me. Number 7 heavy split ring is all I use and have for a long time. The other day we caught a lure off the bottom with a nice ball bearing flouro leader on it. It had a snap though. Well long story short we started using it, and my client hooks a 50" and as we got it in the net, I noticed the snap was wide open. Never again in my boat...

Thanks Jon!
Will have to do the same...
Bondy
Posted 8/31/2014 6:33 AM (#727888 - in reply to #727817)

I've got a client who has spent his life trying to catch a 50lb lake trout up near the arctic. Well wouldn't you know he finally hooked one. When it got to the boat, both him and the guide both looked down and the snap was wide open. One lunge and it was gone...I'm sure enough tears flowed to make a second lake.
horsehunter
Posted 8/31/2014 7:02 AM (#727891 - in reply to #727817)

You must be careful to close it properly. I have seen it hooked to the ring rather than passing through the ring and hooking around the long arm of the snap. I check the hooked part and slightly tighten it if I think it needs it. Split rings can also get work hardened and become brittle and break with extended use. Nothing is (at least in muskie fishing) 100%.
Bondy
Posted 8/31/2014 7:05 AM (#727892 - in reply to #727817)

Here's the problem. Split rings are not full proof, that's for sure. But if I can close a snap with my finger tips, I just don't trust it in powerful, angry, clenched jaws.
ToddM
Posted 8/31/2014 7:14 AM (#727894 - in reply to #727817)

Have made my own snaps out of 174lb leader material. They work great but its hard to make them the same size every time.
bigbite
Posted 8/31/2014 7:18 AM (#727895 - in reply to #727892)

Use a leader with a solid ring on one end and split ring all your baits so you are not opening and closing the same ring whenever you switch baits. Have one rod rigged with a swivel on one end and a solid ring on the other to use with bucktails or any bait that would otherwise twist your line and another rod rigged a solid ring on either end to use with surface baits, gliders, etc. where you want to minimize the weight attached to the lure. I like #7 split rings for all around sizes, but you may want to consider other sizes depending on the lure i.e. Bobbie baits, etc. . When you buy leaders from a supplier, simply request that they be tied up that way.
Jeremy
Posted 8/31/2014 7:58 AM (#727901 - in reply to #727880)

lifeisfun - 8/31/2014 4:10 AM

Propster - 8/30/2014 10:38 PM

Super Snap from AHL

I tried to find some pictures of it but no luck
Can you point me to the right direction?
Thanks

http://www.musky-lures.com/

Phil's a great guy too!!

Jeremy.
lifeisfun
Posted 8/31/2014 8:49 AM (#727908 - in reply to #727891)

horsehunter - 8/31/2014 8:02 AM

You must be careful to close it properly. I have seen it hooked to the ring rather than passing through the ring and hooking around the long arm of the snap. I check the hooked part and slightly tighten it if I think it needs it. Split rings can also get work hardened and become brittle and break with extended use. Nothing is (at least in muskie fishing) 100%.

Frank, I have been around the block few times, and l'm positive that it was closed properly.
esox1980
Posted 8/31/2014 1:30 PM (#727936 - in reply to #727817)
Subject: RE: Something better then Stay-Loc snaps available?

I have been using corkscrew swivels and they have been great. They can be a little difficult to get baits with large gauge eyes on but they have no way to fail or wear. They also have a bearing built in so you do not need a barrel swivel on the top end of your leader.
lifeisfun
Posted 8/31/2014 2:00 PM (#727940 - in reply to #727936)

esox1980 - 8/31/2014 2:30 PM

I have been using corkscrew swivels and they have been great. They can be a little difficult to get baits with large gauge eyes on but they have no way to fail or wear. They also have a bearing built in so you do not need a barrel swivel on the top end of your leader.

Any links where you got them?
Thanks
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/31/2014 2:44 PM (#727943 - in reply to #727817)

Hundreds of fish on snaps and not an issue. Until a couple weeks ago. Trolling over the end of the hump that I lost my fish of a lifetime 8 years ago. Late brothers lucky Jake on a brand new leader, large Stay Loc. Saw the fish when it came up head shaking a long distance out, big. Bait was inside the mouth. I gained some line before the fish sounded again and started to head shake, the line went limp, fish/lure gone. The snap wasn't really bent, just open(and yes I am careful about closing them properly). I'm sure it happened on the strike/initial run.

As George said, it isn't as much about the loss, as it is avoidably killing it. While a good trip with other big fish to 52" before that one, I had a bad taste in my mouth after that. I ran rings on everything up to about 10 years. Got lazy I guess. I did some experimentation with large lures and Stay Loc snaps and depending upon how the snap is 'laying' along the eye of the lure and the lure itself, it took less than the expected force to bend/open one. My friend trolls a fair amount on big fish waters and runs a leader with solid ring on the business end, then has a split ring on every lure. That way the same ring isn't being stressed upon each lure change.

I still feel the Stringease Stay Loc is the best snap option I've used. Can I get away with using snaps for night fishing with bucktails etc? Probably, but at what point does that cost me another monster?
brianT
Posted 9/1/2014 8:32 AM (#728038 - in reply to #727817)

Thanks for reminding me to order new snaps!
Nershi
Posted 9/1/2014 10:18 AM (#728059 - in reply to #727817)

Does Stealth leaders use Stay-Loc? It appears it is the same style but I wasn't sure if it is a different brand. The reason I ask is because it seems like the Stealth snaps gets kinked easily. I casted a mag into the abyss this year on a back lash and it straightened the snap right out and I'm guessing the kink in the snap wire caused the weakness. I am too nervous to use stealth now and have went to my cheaper leaders that have more solid snaps.

Maybe split rings is the way to go. Which brand and size rings do you guys use?
lifeisfun
Posted 9/2/2014 4:42 AM (#728156 - in reply to #727817)

Nershi, Jon indicated couple posts above that he is using Number 7 heavy split rings. Since he uses Jigging a lot I would imagine that this should be heavy duty enough for everyone else.
http://www.muskytackleonline.com/joe-bucher-outdoors/bucher-split-r...
ShutUpNFish
Posted 9/2/2014 9:27 AM (#728183 - in reply to #727817)

250# - #6 SS Duo Locks for me....quick easy and STRONG!
muskihntr
Posted 9/2/2014 10:01 AM (#728190 - in reply to #727817)

To address the Stay Locks snaps and Stealth Tackle. Stringease Tackle was sold to Mustad last year. Mustad has had a few issues getting the snaps dialed in from a production standpoint. During this process there were some snaps that hit the market that were not up to the same standards as when Bernard had the company. They are being fixed. During this time we (Stealth Tackle) went thru the process of testing ALOT of other brand snaps. We determined that a sub par Stay Lock is still way better than anything else offered therefore we are still using Stay Locks because we havent found anything better to offer that we can purchase in bulk to supply our customers. Bernard from Stringease has been involved with them and they are correcting any problems. As I said the Stay Locks are still as good or better than anything else out there from a mass produced product. We (Stealth Tackle) do not make our own snaps and the only way we would would be if we could offer something better. We do offer solid rings as an option to the Stay Lock. Ive had very few problems or issues brought to my attention with any reliability issues with the new snaps. You should check and replace your snaps often though they do get weak and will wear out before your leader unless your leader gets nicked or scared.

If you have had problems with the Stay Locks I would highly recommend that you contact Mustad thru their website and let them know.

The AHL snaps are about as solid a snap as you will find however some people will have problems opening and closing them because they are that tough. They are very well built but are also not cheap to purchase.

Nershi
Posted 9/2/2014 11:56 AM (#728219 - in reply to #727817)

Thanks for the response Muskihntr. I am guessing I got some of the inferior snaps when they were having issues. Too many people have said Stealth is the best to have that weak of snaps on your leaders. I will have to order some new stealths and see how they compare.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)