Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Trailer stickers for MN?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Trailer stickers for MN?
achotrod
Posted 8/27/2014 10:34 AM (#727274)
Subject: Trailer stickers for MN?

What is this garbage? Take a class and pay a fee to trailer? Do they not want people to visit the state?
http://trailers.mndnr.gov/
W8N4SNO
Posted 8/27/2014 10:44 AM (#727280 - in reply to #727274)
Subject: Re: Trailer stickers for MN?

Looks like another way to get a few bucks.... Maybe the money will be used for stocking.... LOL
MuskyMidget
Posted 8/27/2014 10:45 AM (#727281 - in reply to #727280)

This is the first I have heard of this. What a joke.

Pointerpride102
Posted 8/27/2014 10:49 AM (#727283 - in reply to #727274)

$5 every three years, amounting to $1.67/year. Assuming you do the online option.

I doubt this massive fee will stop many people.

For those who do not display a sticker for the 2015 boating season, they will be issued a warning.
brmusky
Posted 8/27/2014 11:17 AM (#727287 - in reply to #727274)

I especially like the part where out of state boat owners can register to take the class, get a pass for 7 days, then they are supposed to take the course. Right - like they are going to take the course when they get home. At least MN DNR gets the $5 I guess.

At least they could just add this to boat registration so it would be on the same schedule.
Long TIme Lurker
Posted 8/27/2014 11:44 AM (#727294 - in reply to #727274)
Subject: RE: Trailer stickers for MN?

Sounds like they get to tax you on your way to Canada too...

The money won't go to stocking, its our government, its going to go into
the cell phones for junkies that refuse to work program.
BFD
Posted 8/27/2014 11:53 AM (#727299 - in reply to #727274)

Another well thought out program by the nanny state of MN!!!!
Fish and Whistle
Posted 8/27/2014 12:40 PM (#727313 - in reply to #727274)

$5 per sticker
- running and maintaining Online training
- produce and mail the sticker
- administrative costs

This isn't funding anything.
Pepper
Posted 8/27/2014 12:43 PM (#727314 - in reply to #727274)

I have serious doubts the MN Highway Patrol will be concerned about a trailer sticker if you are stopped for a moving violation while drive thru on the way to Canada. In fact I unless you use a public ramp that anyone will know if you have a sticker on or not.
Muskers
Posted 8/27/2014 12:47 PM (#727315 - in reply to #727274)

If it can educate people about invasive species is it really that big of a burden?
Jeremy
Posted 8/27/2014 3:02 PM (#727346 - in reply to #727274)

It's not so bad,Just think, ya don't have to press 1 for English...

J. ;-))
jonnysled
Posted 8/27/2014 3:25 PM (#727350 - in reply to #727280)

W8N4SNO - 8/27/2014 10:44 AM

Looks like another way to get a few bucks.... Maybe the money will be used for stocking.... LOL

LOLOLOLOLOLOL … thanks for the post, made my day!!
Nick59
Posted 8/28/2014 7:15 AM (#727432 - in reply to #727315)

Muskers - 8/27/2014 12:47 PM

If it can educate people about invasive species is it really that big of a burden?

This
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/28/2014 8:13 AM (#727440 - in reply to #727432)

Are you guys worried you can't pass the test? Come on! There has to be something done about invasives and this is one part of it.
Pal
Posted 8/28/2014 8:40 AM (#727448 - in reply to #727440)

I am sure this new over reaction will only help the fishing industry in our state, especially around Mille Lacs .....
Nick59
Posted 8/28/2014 9:09 AM (#727452 - in reply to #727274)

I for one believe the cost should be high enough to actually contribute to the cause.

Nick
Angler II
Posted 8/28/2014 9:25 AM (#727456 - in reply to #727274)

How come only boats with trailers have to take the course? how come canoe's, kayaks, duck boats, inflatables and all other watercraft that are not trailered are exempt?
Long TIme Lurker
Posted 8/28/2014 10:02 AM (#727471 - in reply to #727274)

There is nothing wrong with educating people about the problem. I guess what I expect anymore from the nanny state is that next year a new politician will "Have to do something about the problem" and he will up the sticker price, then the next guy who "Has to help" adds another class.

Pretty soon enough well meaning people have put up enough bricks you have a wall.

I mean if we just gate all the accesses, and you can only put your boat in 1 lake ever in your lifetime you cant spread the problem right?

Education and common sense, Awesome.

More money to politicians who think a Zebra Mussel is part of an African horses ass. No thanks...
dami0101
Posted 8/28/2014 10:09 AM (#727472 - in reply to #727456)

Angler II - 8/28/2014 9:25 AM

How come only boats with trailers have to take the course? how come canoe's, kayaks, duck boats, inflatables and all other watercraft that are not trailered are exempt?

I can’t speak about duck boats, as I don’t know anything about them, but my guess is it’s not required for kayaks or canoes because you aren't backing a trailer into the water that can take weeds with it. Maybe the chance of a kayak taking weeds with it and no one seeing or doing anything about it are very slim?
Nick59
Posted 8/28/2014 10:15 AM (#727474 - in reply to #727274)

I agree education is a must.
This will actually force folks to look at the problem. (hopefully)
Of course the select few will drive away without checking anything anyway.

Nick
smalljaw
Posted 8/28/2014 12:52 PM (#727497 - in reply to #727474)

Unless other states require as well... people will think twice about trailering their boat to Minnesota. It will hurt tourism, resorts, bait shops etc. Imagine if you're the farmer from Iowa that wants to fish for walleyes in Minnesota, lots of Wisconsin lakes nearby that you won't need the sticker or training. Also imagine how many people from out of state won't know about this only to travel all the way here and get a fine. That oughta pee 'em off..
Pointerpride102
Posted 8/28/2014 2:06 PM (#727510 - in reply to #727497)

smalljaw - 8/28/2014 12:52 PM

Unless other states require as well... people will think twice about trailering their boat to Minnesota. It will hurt tourism, resorts, bait shops etc. Imagine if you're the farmer from Iowa that wants to fish for walleyes in Minnesota, lots of Wisconsin lakes nearby that you won't need the sticker or training. Also imagine how many people from out of state won't know about this only to travel all the way here and get a fine. That oughta pee 'em off..

I'd be willing to bet that a $5 fee every 3 years won't put even a tiny dent in tourism.

If it was $50 a year, sure you might have an argument. However, the cost is $1.67 per year.

There will also be a fair amount of officer discretion when enforcing. Heck, the website says that no fines will be issued in the first year of implementation.
North of 8
Posted 8/28/2014 2:32 PM (#727512 - in reply to #727274)

As to why only trailers, as a Clean Boat/Clean Waters volunteer in N. WI, trailers pick up a ton of aquatic vegetation. Kayaks don't. When someone leaves the landing, I always volunteer to help them remove weeds from the trailer. We don't have invasive species in our lake but in Oneida County you can be fined $250 for transporting aquatic weeds, invasive or not. Even though the water at the landing looks to be pretty weed free, there are almost always weeds hanging off the trailer. Even guys that don't like answering survey questions from the volunteers don't seem to mind getting help pulling the weeds off and some of the older guys find it hard to bend and reach.
BBT
Posted 8/28/2014 3:24 PM (#727518 - in reply to #727274)

In Iowa, they have a guy sitting at the ramp that will come over to you at the ramp talk with you for 2minutes about invasive species, when done the "give" you the sticker to put on your trailer good for that year. No fines for not having it just have to sit through another lesson for 2minutes on the ramp.
Propster
Posted 8/28/2014 3:32 PM (#727521 - in reply to #727274)

Mike, I understand why you would support and defend this, but I'm curious whether you believe this will actually be beneficial, or is it the best we can come up with for now until we have a better idea? I just hate the thought of throwing money at the problem in this way. And it's not that I mind paying, heck you gotta pay to play, but the DNR is already strapped for cash and resources, I have to believe there's a better use for the funds they have, but maybe they just haven't come up with it yet. I feel like the last sticker was a big waste of dollars, and this has that same feel to it.
achotrod
Posted 8/28/2014 4:34 PM (#727533 - in reply to #727274)

Its the law you have to clean your boat/trailer after pulling it out already here. If you get caught not doing it you pay a fine. Most launches have signs posted about this yet I NEVER see anyone besides myself actually doing it.
I dont think a class or buying a sticker will change a thing. Just cause you have a sticker does not mean you will follow the laws that are already in place. I actually think more people will think they can get away with not cleaning up because they have a sticker.
It just gives them another reason to give out more tickets for state revenue. First year is a freebie after that most out of state people will get ticketed purely because they will have no clue about this.
Propster
Posted 8/28/2014 4:40 PM (#727534 - in reply to #727274)

I don't know that I agree with that premise (that a sticker will make them think they can get away with it), but it's exactly my point - it's already against the law! Maybe we need to put this money into enforcement of the law, rather than another sticker. If the argument is then "well this will educate people better", I say if they aren't already aware of what they need to do with invasives, this isn't going to suddenly make them aware. Heck, how are they going to be made aware they need this class and sticker? Cause whatever efforts we made to make them aware of all the other rules already in place obviously ain't working if we feel it's an education thing.
crix
Posted 8/28/2014 4:57 PM (#727537 - in reply to #727274)

eventually they will make it illegal to go to more than one lake per week... I have already been told im not supposed to go to more than one lake in the same day by the landing attendant in northern mn
Pointerpride102
Posted 8/28/2014 6:37 PM (#727553 - in reply to #727534)

Propster - 8/28/2014 4:40 PM

I don't know that I agree with that premise (that a sticker will make them think they can get away with it), but it's exactly my point - it's already against the law! Maybe we need to put this money into enforcement of the law, rather than another sticker. If the argument is then "well this will educate people better", I say if they aren't already aware of what they need to do with invasives, this isn't going to suddenly make them aware. Heck, how are they going to be made aware they need this class and sticker? Cause whatever efforts we made to make them aware of all the other rules already in place obviously ain't working if we feel it's an education thing.

It's another facet of education. There are lots of people out there that think they know all about AIS but in reality it's a mix of facts and opinions based on a lack of information.

There is a lot more to the entire AIS program than just people at ramps and a sticker program. There is a great deal of research being done, both in the DNR and at U of M. I'll be involved with a treatment next week that is part if a study being confucted by U of M.

I think if you polled people within the DNR and others groups that work closely with AIS, I think you'd hear a different opinion about the sticker program than you'd expect. I've defended the sticker, but I don't consider it to be a full blown solution. There are a ton of other ideas out there that take some extra pushing that some of us are working on. And believe it or not, some of us support and defend boaters/anglers ability for public access. Personally, I have had various people of authority telling me we need to close public accesses. I vehemently tell them that the DNR does not and will not support the idea of closing public accesses.

I am always open to suggestions/ideas and I encourage people to call me and discuss them. We do work for the public. I do try and keep my professional opinions off of here, as I like to have a life outside of work. Yes, I actually have a life!

Nick59
Posted 8/28/2014 9:36 PM (#727588 - in reply to #727537)

crix - 8/28/2014 4:57 PM

eventually they will make it illegal to go to more than one lake per week... I have already been told im not supposed to go to more than one lake in the same day by the landing attendant in northern mn

I couldn't find anything about 'lake per day' in the 2014 MN fishing regs.
Did find this though.

Recommended Actions — Protect our Waters
• To further decontaminate your watercraft and equipment, it’s important
to spray, rinse, or dry everything before going to another water body,
especially if your boat has been in the water or moored for more than 24
hours
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version