Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Son, you did a great job!" - Dad, on his first outing in my boat watching me catch my biggest musky to-date. (funny how we always long to hear our Dads say that...)
- (Added by: stephendawg)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Question about shad style baits

Message Subject: Question about shad style baits
musky slut
Posted 8/26/2014 12:59 PM (#727107)
Subject: Question about shad style baits

I am thinking of trying a shad style bait . I see the line tie that goes through the lip is wire but then the hook hangers are screw eyes on many , so, how is the wire attached to the inside of the bait ? THANKS
gunnr
Posted 8/26/2014 2:49 PM (#727134 - in reply to #727107)
Subject: RE: Question about shad style baits

They're just epoxied into the hole. I actually wind small diameter wire around the two ends of the wire so the epoxy has a little more to grab on to. With the angle of the lip and the epoxy, it's actually pretty strong, but still not like thru-wire.
bowhunter29
Posted 8/26/2014 3:20 PM (#727141 - in reply to #727107)
Subject: Re: Question about shad style baits

If I'm building baits that have the line tie in the diving lip, I do everything gunnr does but I also cut 'pins' out of .062" wire and run them through the bait and the lip to help anchor it.

jeremy
musky slut
Posted 8/26/2014 3:38 PM (#727148 - in reply to #727107)

Cool thanks guys !
ShutUpNFish
Posted 8/27/2014 7:47 AM (#727231 - in reply to #727107)

IMHO through wire is overrated and less versatile anyway....In my bait design, I could have easily chosen through wire and still have that option. After extensive testing and several years later, I'm convinced that my decisions have paid off and couldn't be much better. Two things about through wire that I don't care for....one, you are forced to use split rings (especially on belly) which in a short time hook rash wears through the lure body. Two, if the wire wears or breaks, the lure is history. In wood, through wire may be a more viable option, in solid plastics, magnum screw eyes are extremely tough whether epoxied in or not and are NO less strong than through wire. Bottom line is will they hold that monster fish all the way to the net? Answer is "YUP" Just my .02
fatfingers
Posted 8/27/2014 8:56 AM (#727250 - in reply to #727107)

Through wiring is like using a tank to shoot a rabbit. It works and you can't argue with the fire power, but unless you're buying reels without a drag, it's overkill. Some (not all) through wiring has the wire simply folded back into the nose and tail of the bait.

Some lure designs employ through wiring because of the chosen wood's inherent weakness as opposed to the demands of the muskies being targeted. That does not meant that all wood requires through wiring or that it is, by default, superior. As Paul said, it comes with its own set of disadvantages and weaknesses.

If you catch a fish, any fish, that can rip a properly epoxied lip from a well built lure, you do not want that fish in your boat. That fish will harm you and your boat too.

musky slut
Posted 8/27/2014 8:57 AM (#727251 - in reply to #727107)

Thanks Shut up , man I might just have to order a few of your baits ! They are sweet looking
h2os2t
Posted 8/28/2014 5:49 AM (#727426 - in reply to #727251)

For muskie thru-wire is not needed, but if you plan on salt water I know for a fact big salt water fish will pull eyes out.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 8/28/2014 7:07 AM (#727431 - in reply to #727426)

h2os2t - 8/28/2014 5:49 AM

For muskie thru-wire is not needed, but if you plan on salt water I know for a fact big salt water fish will pull eyes out.

That depends on what you screw the eyes into...I have guys using my baits in saltwater applications and the lures hold up well, no through wire. I have done extensive testing on my baits and the screw eyes will open up before they ever pull out of solid resin and it takes A LOT to bend them open. And most wire I've seen on various through wire plugs will break before a magnum screw eye will open up. You are talking about .092 gauge wire compared to less than half that on most through wire. I'm not debating what is better or worse either...both are certainly good and have their place, just clarifying a few misconceptions about screw eyes that I'm tired of hearing knocks about....

Most all lures, especially hand crafted lures, are way stronger than the rest of any rig's weakest point anyway.
h2os2t
Posted 9/1/2014 11:53 AM (#728091 - in reply to #727431)

I like screweyes (I use them the same way you do) but a 200 pound tuna has pulled them out of plastic. That was a screweye that was screwed in, if it was bent over and molded in I do not think that could happen. Do not think there is a muskie out there that matches a 200# tuna either along with the gear we use is not anywhere close to stuff used for them. Straight pulls would not be an issue as far as I am concerned, it would be the leverage in just the right angle. Hooks and split rings bend WAY before the screweyes anyway. Agree with you on the wire being used in a lot of applications.
woodieb8
Posted 9/2/2014 6:44 AM (#728162 - in reply to #727107)

I have been building for 30 years. as said. wood types are the reason on thru wire over ,screw eyes.. some instances screws are superior for the advantage of direct hook on screw no spl/ring. that reduces hook rash. soft woods like bass wood/pines I definatly hesitate with screws. on trolling apps torturing a bait miles on end I have seen failure.. not on the eyes itself but the soft wood substrate. it sorta like which way you want your steak cooked gents.
musky slut
Posted 9/2/2014 7:43 AM (#728164 - in reply to #727107)

I appreciate all of the input men . The first try is going to be through wire just because that's how I started the bait . The next will be screw eyes . Thanks Again
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)