Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Shimano Calcutta differences

Message Subject: Shimano Calcutta differences
lennyg3
Posted 8/1/2014 6:17 AM (#723692)
Subject: Shimano Calcutta differences

hey guys,

could someone break down the differences/benefits of of say a 400B vs 400S vs 400D vs 400TE?

From what i can tell they all have the same gear ratio, but added bearings with the 400D being the king of the hill. The S model does not have a levelwind. is this correct?
RStien321
Posted 8/1/2014 6:46 AM (#723695 - in reply to #723692)
Subject: Re: Shimano Calcutta differences

One of the big things the D and TE bring is high efficiency gearing. The gears are larger and provide a greater mechanical advantage = more cranking power. If you get a chance to try out either a TE or D side-by-side with a B you will immediately notice the quality of those reels.
lennyg3
Posted 8/1/2014 7:15 AM (#723699 - in reply to #723692)

I wasn't sure if that was just marketing hype, or if there was an actual advantage to the Total Efficiency name. Is there a difference between the 400D and 400TE? I am aware that the 400TE has been discontinued.
Propster
Posted 8/1/2014 8:06 AM (#723712 - in reply to #723692)

I use both the D and TE and would sum up the comparison this way. And remember with any reel there are no absolutes when it comes to subjective things like feel or size or weight. For me the D is lighter, smaller, palms better, is smoother, casts better, and you can feel the lesser torque on the handle with it being inboard of the star drag. With the narrower spool the lack of the non-disengaging levelwind is not an issue for me. The drive gear is not as big as the diameter of the gear on the TE so in my opinion it does not have the power of the TE, yet because of the longer handle it still feels pretty good retreiving 10's and 13's, though not quite as good as the TE. The TE retreives 10s and 13s a little easier with less effort when using a power handle. The drag is much better on the TE than the D, with more washers and more surface area. The brakes are much easier to adjust on the TE than the D. I use the TE for 10s and 13s and the D for most other applications. The 400B has a smaller drive gear and you feel a greater resistance and less "power" with the high resistance baits. However for the money it's a pretty decent reel.
Zinox
Posted 8/1/2014 8:32 AM (#723719 - in reply to #723692)

Can some one explain me the physic behind bigger gears giving greater torque ? with the same gear ratio.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/2/2014 7:45 AM (#723842 - in reply to #723719)

Zinox - 8/1/2014 8:32 AM

Can some one explain me the physic behind bigger gears giving greater torque ? with the same gear ratio.

The bigger the Main gear then the Pinion can be bigger, more teeth of the pinion are touching the main gear. The bigger the pinion gear the more power.
On the new Calcutta D Shimano made the gears Micro so more teeth touch without make the main gear bigger, that is why the new D reels are smaller then the TE reels.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Shimano_12Antares2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Shimano_12Antares2.jpg (11KB - 180 downloads)
MikeDircz
Posted 8/2/2014 10:46 AM (#723860 - in reply to #723842)

This is great info guys. I have a couple Calcutta Bs, and a NACL 60 (not high speed). Considering adding a Calcutta D to the repertoire for the smooth casting, and the youtube video is impressive.

It appears that the gear ratios and line pickups are slightly different between the 300D and the 400D. Any experience both?

Is there a power handle available for the D?

Also, trying to figure out if putting the power handle on the NACL will make it work well for burning double 8's and 10s?
muskie! nut
Posted 8/2/2014 11:25 AM (#723866 - in reply to #723860)

MikeDircz - 8/2/2014 10:46 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAAlDlulAA4
Propster
Posted 8/2/2014 11:58 AM (#723871 - in reply to #723860)

MikeDircz - 8/2/2014 10:46 AM

This is great info guys. I have a couple Calcutta Bs, and a NACL 60 (not high speed). Considering adding a Calcutta D to the repertoire for the smooth casting, and the youtube video is impressive.

It appears that the gear ratios and line pickups are slightly different between the 300D and the 400D. Any experience both?

Also, trying to figure out if putting the power handle on the NACL will make it work well for burning double 8's and 10s?

Couple things to note. I put the gears (drive and pinion) from the 300D into the 400D, one for me and one for another guy. I got over 30 ipt on that setup. I really like it for anything less than 9 or mag 8 blades. I got my son an NACL 5.4 with the power handle, he's been using mostly a TE the last few years. He loves it for everything. Burning smaller blades is great he says, and even though it's a little harder on tens (a bit more resistance than with the TE as is to be expected) he said the trade off of greater comfort and less strain on the hand holding the reel (due to the smaller size) is worth it and for him, at least for now is his preference. There is no absolute right or wrong, and we can't tell each other the "best" way to go that will hold true for all. It is a very subjective matter. If the Tranx was built on a smaller lighter frame I might consider it, but of course the minute you attempt that it's not the same reel. That might be okay though as I have felt that the PG is too easy on tens (can't feel em) and the HG too fast. Maybe a compromise between the two in a smaller package is what would feel best to me.
MikeDircz
Posted 8/4/2014 9:29 AM (#724045 - in reply to #723871)

Thanks for all of that detailed info. Definitely going to try the power handle on the NACL and see how that works for burning. Most likely going to add the Calcutta D to the arsenal given the feedback I'm seeing.

Cheers!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)