Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Sh#t, muskie." Cast again.
- (Added by: woody)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Etex second coat time

Message Subject: Etex second coat time
Trophyseeker50
Posted 7/24/2014 6:28 PM (#722334)
Subject: Etex second coat time

I typically wait 24+ hours between coats of etex because everything I've found from the manufacture says that's what to do. Obviously if I can save some time I will and I read a few things where guys would recoat just a few hours after the first. I am looking for some insight from some of the bigger volume guys. If you frequent this section you know that I'm relatively experienced at this but some seasoned advice would be great
Kenslures
Posted 7/24/2014 8:04 PM (#722348 - in reply to #722334)
Subject: Re: Etex second coat time

I have been using Etex since I started making baits. I usually wait until they are only slightly tacky and then you can re-coat. You said you are experienced with Etex so you know the drying time varies a lot according to temp, humidity. Some days its set up enough to turn off the drying wheel in about 4 hours and I have already had to wait 8+ hours. Always mix Etex thoroughly and make sure both parts are equal. Let stand for a few minutes to get rid of the air bubbles or blow lightly into the mix as your breath will get rid of the bubbles. I use syringes that I buy at a local veterinarian. Rinse them with acetone before using to make sure the Etex doesn't get contaminated. I just wipe off the ends of the syringes and don't clean them everytime. I put them back in the tubes they came in. Be sure to mark the syringes with one dot for hardner and the hardner bottle with one dot. Mark two dots for the resin syringe and resin bottle. Always make sure you use the right syringe for the right part before mixing. These syringes can be used well over a year. I clean them maybe 2-3 times a year. They are very cheap to purchase. About $0.50 ea.
Trophyseeker50
Posted 7/24/2014 8:15 PM (#722350 - in reply to #722334)

Thanks ken. Yes I have been using etex for about 5 years and have done thousands of baits. Almost 600 this year already. I have no problems with etex and how it works. I am more interested in how long I have to wait before I can recoat. I have heard of guys recounting in as little as 6 hours. I have always waited 24+ and then scuffed them and recoated. At this point I am to busy to experiment so I am wondering what others here have seen.
Kenslures
Posted 7/24/2014 8:26 PM (#722351 - in reply to #722334)

The only drawback with Etex in my opinion is the long drying time. A beautiful awesome product.
woodieb8
Posted 7/24/2014 8:27 PM (#722352 - in reply to #722334)

re-coat when still tacky but not runny. carefull though, screw ups happen exactly at that time.
muskyslayer96
Posted 7/25/2014 5:17 AM (#722386 - in reply to #722334)

TS50,

No need to scuff prior to second coat IMHO. I typically use multiple coats and never scuff, coat rotate 6-8 hrs minimum then re-coat. I typically add a coat of E-tex rotate overnight and re-coat the next evening when I get home from work. I think it is optimal to re-coat within 24 hrs or so as the first coat has not yet completely set up and this allows following coats to adhere better and "chemically bond" to previous coats vs. multiple separate coats. Just my opinion from a lot of baits and a tremendous number of mistakes and frustration
Big fan of your work.
Best,
MS
MartinTD
Posted 7/25/2014 7:33 AM (#722394 - in reply to #722334)

E-tex, like any other two-part epoxy is a chemical reaction that does not need air to cure. There is no reason to wait 24+ hours.
bowhunter29
Posted 7/25/2014 8:22 AM (#722400 - in reply to #722334)

I recoat when tacky, I feel like I get a better bond between coats.

jeremy
Trophyseeker50
Posted 7/25/2014 11:10 AM (#722435 - in reply to #722334)

Thanks guys exactly the info and input I was looking for.
mnmusky
Posted 7/25/2014 6:12 PM (#722516 - in reply to #722334)

I alcohol wipe down between coats If epoxy has hardened. seems to give it a bit of tack.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)