Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Pretty interesting scientific study on lunar effects

Message Subject: Pretty interesting scientific study on lunar effects
Pointerpride102
Posted 7/24/2014 12:55 PM (#722272)
Subject: Pretty interesting scientific study on lunar effects

I could have posted this in the biology forum as it is a bit heavier than some of the normal posts here (I don't mean that in a bad way, this article is slightly heavier on statistics and data analysis) but I thought it might be found interesting to most. The whole thing is pretty interesting but you can always skip to the discussion section near the end if the numbers start to bore you. Also, one of our posters from here (esox50 aka Sean Landsman) is cited in the document. He also has an interesting study worth reading.

Enjoy.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone....
jaultman
Posted 7/24/2014 3:33 PM (#722305 - in reply to #722272)
Subject: RE: Pretty interesting scientific study on lunar effects

Only read the abstract and viewed the figures so far, but... sweet.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 7/25/2014 12:05 AM (#722383 - in reply to #722272)
Subject: Re: Pretty interesting scientific study on lunar effects

Wow! I am good with stats and that gave me a headache. What it told me most was that anyone going to fish the east side of Vermilion in August during the full moon needs to go ahead and cancel their trip.
larryc
Posted 7/25/2014 8:36 AM (#722402 - in reply to #722272)

Thanks !
Curious about your take Mark regarding incorrect spelling of a source name in the paper and credits ? Attention to detail should be important IMO.
I was surprised to see one "author" referenced in any scientific paper post Chippewa Flowage project.
Sunshine
Posted 7/25/2014 11:52 AM (#722441 - in reply to #722272)

What I got out if it..... Data is inconclusive.
If we all concentrate heavily on fishing during the lunar periods the data will always be skewed.
longcastinlefty
Posted 7/25/2014 2:35 PM (#722473 - in reply to #722272)

All you need to read on there is a fish of 10,000 casts becomes a fish of 9500 casts during peak moon periods and it all makes sense
horsehunter
Posted 7/25/2014 3:11 PM (#722480 - in reply to #722272)

I kept exacting data for over 25 years and discovered all my fish came on days ending with " Y "
Musky63
Posted 7/25/2014 4:26 PM (#722499 - in reply to #722272)

This is interesting -
Perhaps the increase is because Moonrise and Moonset happens in coincidence with change in light conditions during full and new moon cycles.

I am convinced that moonrise absolutely makes a difference. Yes, as a scientist, I argued for years that, because we often went to a good spot or after a known fish, at moonrise, the data was skewed. But there were too many times that we didn't pay attention to the time and went back to look and said "Hey, we caught that fish within 10 minutes of Moonrise."

EsoxAndy
Posted 7/25/2014 7:54 PM (#722527 - in reply to #722272)

I think it's pretty awesome someone actually had the time/permission to go ahead and actually throw a real study down. But don't all animals do neat stuff during different times of the lunar cycle? Sometimes I think people do too...hey wait how many of those fish were caught by real fishermen?!?! Can we trust em?!

All jokes aside this is really neat!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)