Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Give those #*^@ pliers. You're gonna put one of his eyes out." -Fatfingers to his lifelong fishing partner, whose hands still shake uncontrollably with excitement whenever he boats one even after 15 years of musky fishing.
- (Added by: fatfingers)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> airbrushes

Message Subject: airbrushes
ericg0729
Posted 7/1/2014 12:00 AM (#718618)
Subject: airbrushes

I am in the market for a new air brush and paints. Wondering what you awesome bait builders are using. I am not looking to break the bank but am tired of the junk cheapo brush i currently have. I am currently using createx paints.
Tigerhunter
Posted 7/1/2014 6:36 AM (#718624 - in reply to #718618)
Subject: Re: airbrushes

I ordered a Paasche VLST-PRO on Amazon earlier this year. It came in a wooden box and 3 needles/nozzles which I found great. I haven't really used it too much as I have a thousand projects around the house but it seems like a really nice brush. I think I paid $80 for it- now it's on there for $99. I also use createx.
Zib
Posted 7/1/2014 7:34 AM (#718630 - in reply to #718618)
Subject: RE: airbrushes

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you print out their 40% off coupon & buy the Iwata HP-CS Eclipse.

kodiak
Posted 7/1/2014 12:15 PM (#718674 - in reply to #718618)

the iwata revolution cr is good for the price,,,the pasche talon is pretty nice too i bought one even though i am a iwata guy
Trophyseeker50
Posted 7/1/2014 2:35 PM (#718697 - in reply to #718618)

It is my opinion that the iwata eclipse hp-cs is the best airbrush for the money. I paid 140 for it and like others said you can find it cheaper. It will spray very fine to about 2" with one needle. I also have a iwata Neo with the gravity feed that I paid 60 bucks for. I have done a lot of painting with both and I can get a line that is about the width of a sharpie line with it. I honestly use it as much as the eclipse. It comes with a standard cup as well as a smaller cup. I leave the small cup on for small detail work.

I would recommend either gun to anyone. I worked in a hobby shop as a teen and currently own 6 guns including a pasche h, a badger 150, a fine line gravity, and my iwatas. The Passche h is a single action external mix siphon feed. It is not a detail gun by any means but works great for base coating and flake. If your loOking for a detail gun, with out a doubt Iwata is superior.

Edited by Trophyseeker50 7/1/2014 2:40 PM
mnmusky
Posted 7/1/2014 5:18 PM (#718723 - in reply to #718618)

for big money, Iwata custom micron mac & Harder steenbeck Infinity.
more reasonably priced, I have the Iwata Hp-CS as well. Great all around..
I also have the Aztec by testors. It has a hyper sensitive trigger that no other brush can match. It also comes with many nozzles, its my favorite of all even though its feels cheap, It works well..
adudeuknow
Posted 7/15/2014 2:59 AM (#720723 - in reply to #718618)

i was just talking about the micron today. is it strictly for super fine detail work or can you get needles for it to do wider coverage?

im not one of those folks who likes to dip my toes first. i have seriously wanted to get started with custom painting for a while and will gladly dive right in for the best if it will cover everything i need.

i have been browsing around a bit but can't seem to find much about lure makers who use that high of quality brush.
mnmusky
Posted 7/15/2014 6:08 AM (#720726 - in reply to #718618)

i think the micron CM-c+ is a .23 needle standard with the option to go smaller only. At .23 you can get micro lines to 1" spray pattern. harder steenbeck infinity has a dual set at .15 and .4mm needles. and its about 200 less than the micron. either one is sweet but the paint best be thin or you will drive yourself to clog city.
Trophyseeker50
Posted 7/15/2014 3:36 PM (#720808 - in reply to #718618)

The eclipse has a .3mm needle. It will do a decent sharpies width to about an 1 1/2". Yes the micron wild do a bit finer but most people including my self don't have a steady enough hand to truly utilize something that small. Not to mention like said above you will have to reduce your paints quite a bit with a .23 needle which doesn't lend itself to anything but shading and detail work.

In my opinion you would be best to buy an eclipse and learn to airbrush. And if you at some point decide your skill has out grown the capability then go for the micron.

Edited by Trophyseeker50 7/15/2014 3:38 PM
adudeuknow
Posted 7/15/2014 8:06 PM (#720843 - in reply to #718618)

perhaps the eclipse is the way to go. i am a fairly decent sketch artist and feel i have a very steady hand but ultimately what i need is one brush that can paint a lure white in seconds and one that can do all the detail painting work i need. perhaps it would be best to have two brushes.
Trophyseeker50
Posted 7/15/2014 9:16 PM (#720849 - in reply to #718618)

Like I said in the beginning of this thread I have a Paasche H single action which is great for base coating and flake. And being a siphon feed allows you to have a large quantity for base or clear if you use auto clear or sanding sealer. One of these or a touch up gun and an eclipse is all you need.
Stan Durst 1
Posted 7/16/2014 7:01 AM (#720868 - in reply to #718618)

I was and am strictly Badger
crazywayne
Posted 7/16/2014 7:29 AM (#720869 - in reply to #718618)

I know everyone talked about the brushes, but its in the paint, use a paint that is made for airbrushing and save time with good results. I went through the mixing phase, but found to be too inconsistant, good airbrush paint cheaper brush works fine, just my 2 cents.
adudeuknow
Posted 7/16/2014 10:08 AM (#720891 - in reply to #718618)

do any of you guys spray lacquer or do you all use water-based? i was thinking of converting a shed into a work area and would likely have an exhaust system going.
Trophyseeker50
Posted 7/16/2014 1:10 PM (#720921 - in reply to #718618)

I use lacquers and solvent based auto paints. Yes stinky but I can have any color mixed at my local auto paint supplier. And you can reduce them way down for shading and detail. Not to mention it drys fast.
adudeuknow
Posted 7/16/2014 1:47 PM (#720933 - in reply to #720921)

thanks a lot for taking the time to reply....i am seriously going to get this going this time. after doing a little more research i think i can get away with using the eclipse to do my base coats. once i start doing a little more work after i get the hang of everything i may opt for a lesser brush to do the base with.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)