Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> How many different boat partners have you fished with?

Message Subject: How many different boat partners have you fished with?
d2bucktail
Posted 6/23/2014 6:42 PM (#717382)
Subject: How many different boat partners have you fished with?

Everyone knows guides fish with lots of different people, but how about us normal (but serious) muskie nuts? I started muskie fishing in around 1994 (20 years ago - already?!?) but have pretty much been a weekend warrior that gets out when I can (25-40 times per year) with most trips averaging around 4 hours. In all that time I've registered 98 muskies in the Muskies Inc Lunge Log - expecting to FINALLY crack the century mark this summer! I have been lucky enough to muskie fish in Canada 12 times since 1999. In all that time I've enjoyed fishing with a number of different people which has been made easy by our local Muskies Inc chapter outings and especially by our Muskellunge Club of Wisconsin spring league where we are paired with a different fishing partner each week. It's been very interesting and enjoyable learning from others and hopefully sharing some of my muskie fishing knowledge with my fishing partners.

Well, anyway, last winter I was thinking about all the great people I've muskie fished with and wondered just how many that was so, I started a list and just added my 64th muskie fishing partner over the weekend! I've fished in 37 fishing partner boats and 29 partners have fished with me in my small 14' Northwood Classic. I've caught at least 1 muskie with 24 of my fishing partners. Only 17 of my fishing partners have caught a muskie while fishing with me. 15 of my fishing partners and I have both caught muskies while fishing together. And I've fished with 36 different fishing partners where neither of us has caught a muskie. I think these are some pretty interesting stats -- probably more appropriate for a winter-time thread. Maybe I'll bring this topic back to life with a poll or 2 next winter. So how many people have you muskie fished with?

Hmmm, I wonder how many different hats I've worn when I caught a muskie?
FAT-SKI
Posted 6/23/2014 8:49 PM (#717407 - in reply to #717382)
Subject: RE: How many different boat partners have you fished with?

7 different guys. I love fishing with different people. Everyone has 'their' own way of doing things. I like to watch people, see how they work a certain bait or structure and see if there are any little nuances that I can add to my arsenal of techniques.

Speaking of which I gotta try to get out with some new people this year
muskie tamer
Posted 6/23/2014 10:41 PM (#717434 - in reply to #717382)
Subject: Re: How many different boat partners have you fished with?

None yet, always fish alone or with my kids in the boat. Just don't really know any other serious musky fisherman.
Muskie_Mike II
Posted 6/23/2014 11:15 PM (#717443 - in reply to #717382)

5 different partners. You learn a lot fishing with different people. Everyone does something a little bit different, and uses a different selection of lures. Everyone benefits in the process.
d2bucktail
Posted 6/25/2014 12:20 PM (#717764 - in reply to #717382)

In checking with a few of my fishing buddies, most appear to be like FAT-SKI and Muskie_Mike II - only having fished with a small handful of folks. Not sure what it says about me - having fished with 64 different partners. Maybe it means that I'm flighty?

As originally stated, I've really seen a lot of things having fished with so many others. Some of those things I've added to my muskie bag of tricks and some odd behaviors I've shared with others with laughter! I've been in disagreements about which way to work a shoreline with respect to the wind. And with that I've learned that it's about equipment and personal preference. For me in my small boat with limited trolling motor power/battery life plus my desire to limit the amount of electronics running as I fish, I will almost always work WITH the wind and make minor adjustments to my course of travel. It prolongs the life of my battery, too. Others have argued that for the sake of boat control, you should always go into the wind. That pretty much guarantees that the trolling motor needs to be on nearly 100% of the time but I think that affects fishing success. I've seen some crazy and eccentric launch and load techniques that make no sense to me - and I've been questioned about how I load my boat which to some my seem silly. I've seen willingness to try new things as well as those that have their way of doing things and that's it. I've learned lure selection and presentation that has produced considerable success for me - some of those things I may have otherwise never seen or tried. Consider making it a goal to fish with at least 1 or 2 new people every year. You could gain a new fishing buddy that might just help you improve your success. Or you might teach someone something that could improve their odds of boating more muskies. Better yet, your new fishing buddy might see something crazy you do and share the comedy with their friends!
MuskyKarma
Posted 6/25/2014 6:30 PM (#717846 - in reply to #717382)

8-10. I always like fishing with different people as well. Most muskie guys are easy to get along with and share the passion as diehard as I do which makes meeting people easy and comfortable
sworrall
Posted 6/25/2014 6:53 PM (#717847 - in reply to #717382)

Lots.

But I did guide full time for a bunch of years.
buckup
Posted 6/25/2014 8:04 PM (#717856 - in reply to #717382)

I don't fish and tell.
dawg_kennel
Posted 6/26/2014 12:27 AM (#717889 - in reply to #717382)

This is only my second year of musky fishing and I only have one consistent partner that makes it out on the boat with me weekly. We are both fairly new to the sport and try new tactics often, but I would like to fish with more experienced anglers in the future to learn more and improve my techniques. Occasionally I will bring a buddy out who hasn't musky fished much and try to get him a fish.
jaultman
Posted 6/26/2014 7:43 AM (#717904 - in reply to #717889)

I've been fishing muskies for ten years, but the first five years weren't too serious.

fished with 18 different people (that I can count). Haven't hired a guide yet.

Now have three main fishing partners.
Junkman
Posted 6/26/2014 7:45 AM (#717906 - in reply to #717382)

I fish with a different person every time.....nobody will go out with me a second time!
Dave T.
Posted 6/26/2014 12:08 PM (#717960 - in reply to #717382)

Hope you guys are using protection, thats a lot of different partners for a few of ya!
mtcook16
Posted 6/26/2014 12:37 PM (#717965 - in reply to #717382)

Rule of three: Add 3 for fisherwomen and subtract 3 for fishermen.
ToddM
Posted 6/26/2014 1:31 PM (#717975 - in reply to #717382)

What happens on the lake stays on the lake!
Brad P
Posted 6/26/2014 1:32 PM (#717976 - in reply to #717382)

A LOT!
esox99
Posted 7/21/2014 10:12 AM (#721612 - in reply to #717382)

Great question!
I try to chase muskies pretty hard for a couple of weeks in Canada and a couple of weeks at Pomme de Terre each year.
I haven't kept track of total fishing partners, but in the past few years I've really enjoyed helping others catch and release muskies.
Last year I caught or netted muskies with 13 different people; I'm pretty sure that's my record. At least 3 of those were the person's first muskie and a couple more were the angler's first Canadian muskie.
So far this season 5 different people have released muskies out of my boat; 2 of those were their first LOTW muskies. Hopefully more to come.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/21/2014 11:50 AM (#721632 - in reply to #717382)

A lot! This year I've fished with a lot of totally new people and it's been fun. I didn't start guiding until last year so I can't count those ones. I'd really rather not try and count them up but I've put lots of people on their first and biggest musky and that's been the most rewarding part of my fishing experience over the last 15 years. Muskie fishing ROCKS!
MOJOcandy101
Posted 7/21/2014 1:20 PM (#721648 - in reply to #717382)

I'm still fairly new to muskie fishing as I am on year 4 now, I try to get out as much as possible but not owning a boat or tuck puts a damper on that. My uncle is the one to blame for getting me addicted but I have recently motivated a few friends to join the hunt so I've been in the boat with 8 different people though 4 have been a one and done "walleye" guys that just had to give it a shot.
ToddM
Posted 7/21/2014 1:35 PM (#721652 - in reply to #717382)

I am surprised there isn't a musky fishing transmitted disease the way most of you get around.......
MOJOcandy101
Posted 7/21/2014 2:12 PM (#721657 - in reply to #721652)

its called slime addiction.....
ToddM
Posted 7/21/2014 6:18 PM (#721696 - in reply to #717382)

They make boat condoms?
Netman
Posted 7/22/2014 7:14 AM (#721764 - in reply to #717382)

In my younger day's I was referred to as the boat slut but now I just fish with the same partner.......
jonnysled
Posted 7/22/2014 7:41 AM (#721767 - in reply to #721652)

ToddM - 7/21/2014 1:35 PM

I am surprised there isn't a musky fishing transmitted disease the way most of you get around.......

that's only spread by trollers ...
ToddM
Posted 7/22/2014 10:40 AM (#721807 - in reply to #721767)

jonnysled - 7/22/2014 7:41 AM

ToddM - 7/21/2014 1:35 PM

that's only spread by trollers ...

or maybe some people just like scratching the itch?

Edited by ToddM 7/22/2014 10:41 AM
Herb_b
Posted 7/23/2014 10:45 AM (#721967 - in reply to #717382)

That's a tough question. I ran my first boat for 17 years and my current boat for 11 and had a number of different fishing partners each year. So, that would be quite a few anyway. Its strange because I have pictures of people holding nice Muskies in my boat and I don't even remember where or when the fish was caught, how big it was or who the people were. Its like they got in my boat somehow, caught a nice fish and took a picture on my camera without me knowing about it. Strange. Either that or I'm just getting old and forgetful...
jakejusa
Posted 7/23/2014 11:35 AM (#721979 - in reply to #717382)

I have never fished with anyone that I have not been able to learn something from. Even new to the sport can have something they have figured out. I fish with allot of different people from the guiding days and will continue.
Top H2O
Posted 7/23/2014 1:01 PM (#721994 - in reply to #721967)

Herb_b - 7/23/2014 10:45 AM

That's a tough question. I ran my first boat for 17 years and my current boat for 11 and had a number of different fishing partners each year. So, that would be quite a few anyway. Its strange because I have pictures of people holding nice Muskies in my boat and I don't even remember where or when the fish was caught, how big it was or who the people were. Its like they got in my boat somehow, caught a nice fish and took a picture on my camera without me knowing about it. Strange. Either that or I'm just getting old and forgetful... ;-)

Maybe you ingested to much Mercury/Lead paint when you were younger, Herb.
Emptynet
Posted 7/23/2014 7:33 PM (#722085 - in reply to #717382)

About 2 dozen different fishing partners for muskies, mostly in our M I chapter league. Add 12 to 18 more for all types of fishing.
Herb_b
Posted 7/23/2014 11:44 PM (#722163 - in reply to #717382)

Been fishing for a long time too. You're right though. I was definitely a bit foolish when I was a young man. No lead paint, but we ate big pike and walleyes in those days. That was back before anyone even thought about such things as mercury poisoning. Back then PCB was the big worry and it was thought that mostly affected rough fish.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)