Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> How to get DS and SS from HBird on the bow?

Reply New post
Message Subject: How to get DS and SS from HBird on the bow?
Great Big
Posted 4/15/2014 12:22 PM (#706920)
Subject: How to get DS and SS from HBird on the bow?

I've got HB 998 on the bow and 1198 at the console. The bow unit uses the transducer from the Terrova and only gets 2d sonar. The console unit connected to the transducer on the transom does it all, 2D sonar, DS, SS. If I link the 2 units together with an Ethernet cable, will I be able to get DS and Sidescan from the bow?
Or do I need to add another transducer , such as a shoot through the hull, to the bow unit to be able to utilize DS and SS.

Also, it looks to me that I need 2 map chips, one for each unit?

I'm so new to electronics I'm not sure what I want is even possible

Thanks
jarrod0607
Posted 4/15/2014 12:48 PM (#706923 - in reply to #706920)
Subject: RE: How to get DS and SS from HBird on the bow?

As long as the two units are linked you can get ds and ss off of rear ducer. Need to go into settings on bow unit and choose appropriate ducer. And yes you will need cards for both units.
Great Big
Posted 4/15/2014 1:12 PM (#706931 - in reply to #706923)

Just looked at bow unit, and Ethernet port is connected to Ipilot link. Not sure how to hook to console unit now.
PJV
Posted 4/15/2014 1:17 PM (#706933 - in reply to #706931)

You'd need the 5 port Ethernet hub. Then I-pilot and both units connect to hub via Ethernet cables.
Great Big
Posted 4/15/2014 6:30 PM (#707002 - in reply to #706933)

Thanks friend. That's the conclusion I came to after more research today. So the bow unit will then utilize the transom ducer all the time, or just when u switch to SS AND DS?
PJV
Posted 4/15/2014 9:55 PM (#707047 - in reply to #707002)

I don't think there's any "intelligent" switching. Ie, I don't think the unit can know when it should be using the us2, vs. when it should be pulling di or SI from the stern transducer. You need to set which transducer is being used, and it stays that way until you change it.

If you have an SI capable unit, but set it to use the us2 transducer, then SI and di "views" will not appear. Similarly, if you don't have an SI or di capable unit, then they won't be able to show the SI or di from the rear transducer, even if the console unit can.
Macintosh
Posted 4/17/2014 1:23 PM (#707368 - in reply to #706920)
Subject: Re: How to get DS and SS from HBird on the bow?

Call h-bird CS, they'll walk you through it and are quite good. Or, go to the hummingbird sonar forum at bassboat central. Most of the bassboat guys use 2 separate transducers for one unit (a shoot-through for 2-D on plane readings and a separate SI ducer mounted on a jackplate), connected with a Y-cable, and I believe the unit knows what ducer to look at automatically depending on what view you are looking at. I'm certain you can set up 2 sonar units to look through one transducer, but then you'll be at the bow looking down through a "window" that's 20 feet behind you...since the sonar screen is already showing what you've passed, that has the potential to not be all that useful, especially if you do any vertical type fishing like dropshotting for smallies, etc. I'd get a separate SI ducer and mount it on the terrova, and run the ducer cable through the groove on the outside of the shaft (you need to pull the head and pull the shaft out of the mount to do this). There is a youtube video from a guy named Doug Vahrenberg that shows how to do this. And yes, you need a separate map chip for each unit, although if you have them linked they can share waypoints (i.e. mark a specific spot such as a sunken rockpile on the SI from the console, then fish and stay on the spot using the waypoint from the bow sonar).
M Winther
Posted 4/17/2014 8:00 PM (#707450 - in reply to #707368)

you can select different transducers for standard sonar and side-imaging. ie., on the bow unit you can select it to use your terrova transducer for standard sonar while pulling the side-imaging from the SI transducer in the back.
just keep in mind where the image is coming from so you know where what you're seeing is located since it can be ~20' difference between transducer locations.
Great Big
Posted 4/18/2014 10:05 AM (#707537 - in reply to #707450)

Thanks for the help guys. I'm planning on linking the Terrova, 998, and 1198 all to the Ethernet switch. Then attaching the ducer that came with the 998 to the terrova using a Transducer Shield and Saver mount.

I plan on utilizing 2 map chips

I think that will give me what I want: DS, SS, and 2D at the bow and console via independent transducers, with everything connected to share info.

Am I missing anything??
ranger618
Posted 4/19/2014 11:41 PM (#707789 - in reply to #707537)

Great Big - 4/18/2014 10:05 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I'm planning on linking the Terrova, 998, and 1198 all to the Ethernet switch. Then attaching the ducer that came with the 998 to the terrova using a Transducer Shield and Saver mount.

I plan on utilizing 2 map chips

I think that will give me what I want: DS, SS, and 2D at the bow and console via independent transducers, with everything connected to share info.

Am I missing anything??

You have it covered.
I am rigging a similar set up now, can't wait to try it out.
Should be able to choose either transducer view on either unit, and run the terrova link from either unit.
muskyhunter47
Posted 4/20/2014 10:26 AM (#707823 - in reply to #707789)

Just a thought you might want to move your 1198 up front i fish from the of the boat most of the time it's nice having the big screen up front
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)