Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Beware of scammers

Message Subject: Beware of scammers
Chain Gang
Posted 4/15/2014 9:02 AM (#706871)
Subject: Beware of scammers

I have a boat listed in the classifieds and received an email from someone who appeared to be interested . They then said they were a marine engineer at sea and could not speak over the phone. Without seeing the boat they said they were going to send full payment via pay pal and that there shipping company would come pick up the boat.
I of course put the brakes on here and knowing no one in their right mind would do this. I tried to get more information from this person so that I could put his information out there to save others but did not get much. The email I was contacted with was [email protected]. So, just beware that these people are out there and if they refuse to talk on phone and give information there is a reason.
smada
Posted 4/15/2014 9:24 AM (#706879 - in reply to #706871)
Subject: RE: Beware of scammers

If you ever try to sell anything on craiglist you will get many of those types of requests. I usually respond with something really mean and vulgar, and they never respond back. In the end you just need to use common sense. Sadly these scammers must be successful since they still are doing it, there would be no point if everyone was smart enough to know better.

Edited by smada 4/15/2014 9:34 AM
IM Musky Time
Posted 4/15/2014 9:32 AM (#706881 - in reply to #706871)

Buddy of mine had the same thing happen two years ago. The guy had a story put together and said he worked on an offshore rig and didn't have any phone access but wanted to buy the boat for his Dad and was going to use Paypal. My buddy thought if the money was sent via Paypal, he'd be protected, but the scammers must have a way around that. Not sure what all of the PP protocols are for high dollar amounts. Thankfully, he didn't pull the trigger.
ToddM
Posted 4/15/2014 9:49 AM (#706885 - in reply to #706871)
Subject: Re: Beware of scammers

Had someone in Africa that wanted to buy my misty river. Even emailed back because I never responded. I have friends who use the dating sites and they get these Russian women who want to meet them but need money for a plane ticket.
vegas492
Posted 4/15/2014 11:30 AM (#706908 - in reply to #706885)

ToddM - 4/15/2014 9:49 AM

Had someone in Africa that wanted to buy my misty river. Even emailed back because I never responded. I have friends who use the dating sites and they get these Russian women who want to meet them but need money for a plane ticket.

He has "friends" that use dating sites. LOL....
Just giving yah a hard time, ToddM.
sworrall
Posted 4/15/2014 11:35 AM (#706909 - in reply to #706871)

There is a warning printed in every response email from the classifieds addressing that exactly. Here's an example of a clear attempt from that same guy, and the copy in the email.
---------------------------------------------
Hi Seller,
How long have you owned it?
Why are you selling it?
In your opinion, what sort of condition is it?
Any more available photo?
How much are you asking for it?
I can only make payment through Pay Pal and after

payment is done,my shipping company will come over

for pick up..
Thanks..

-------------------------------------------------
AN IMPORTANT NOTE FROM OUTDOORSFIRST CLASSIFIEDS:
Beware of email from yahoo, hotmail, and other free email addresses,
emails where the item for sale appears in brackets [] or parentheses (),
and vague inquiries involving strange shipping scenarios or immediate
offers to purchase. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true....it is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sent him a response telling him politely to go
Hammskie
Posted 4/15/2014 11:43 AM (#706910 - in reply to #706909)

Man, what's going to happen once these people understand American culture and the English language/grammar? They might actually be able to trick some of us eventually.
curleytail
Posted 4/15/2014 12:04 PM (#706914 - in reply to #706910)

Hammskie - 4/15/2014 11:43 AM

Man, what's going to happen once these people understand American culture and the English language/grammar? They might actually be able to trick some of us eventually.

I get what you are saying, but hopefully not, at least on large items. If I'm selling something that has to be driven or towed away, I better meet that person first and they aren't paying with Paypal.

What does seem like a reality, is smaller items like baits, rods, nets, and electronics. Seems like if these scammers have found a way to pay without paying, there's not much protection there.
tolle141
Posted 4/15/2014 12:05 PM (#706915 - in reply to #706871)

I don't think I could ethically sell a boat if someone didn't at least come and look at it.
brianT
Posted 4/15/2014 2:02 PM (#706940 - in reply to #706871)

This is happening with everything, cars, boats, trailers.... My little brother was selling his car in Arizona on cars.com. He had a guy that said he was from NC with a TX area code text him, saying that he was willing to pay the asking price without even coming to look at it. My brother tried to call him back and got no answer. The guy said he's only available to speak through text message lol. He was willing to send the payment via pay pal right away and have a shipping company come pick it up. He almost pulled the trigger but thankfully he was smart enough to call me first. I really don't get how they can pay pal you then get their funds back but it's definitely shady business. Be careful who you do business with!
Shep
Posted 4/15/2014 4:04 PM (#706964 - in reply to #706940)

4 words silence them every time.

I only take cash.

My brother was selling a car a few years ago. Some guy from Denver had a brother in Alfwanistan that was returning soon. Same deal, Pay Pal, and shipper will come. My brother told him he was leaving within the hour for Denver to deliver the car in person to honor the brother's brave service to our country, and no need to send the shipper, or the Pay Pal payment. He'd take cash when he got there. It was funny to read the response he got from the scammer!

Nershi
Posted 4/15/2014 4:18 PM (#706969 - in reply to #706871)

I have got these too. I usually let them know what I think of their type but maybe we should try to scam the scammers. Tell them you will accept payment then give them the address of the local car or boat dealership to pick up their merchandise. Let them deal with the shippers when they get the angry call.
horsehunter
Posted 4/15/2014 4:22 PM (#706971 - in reply to #706871)

You would think Pay Pal would be trying to plug any loop holes before people quit accepting Pay Pal. I'm thinking I would think twice before accepting it for anything even a reel.
dmhuffman2010
Posted 4/15/2014 4:22 PM (#706972 - in reply to #706871)

A guy I know actually fell for one of these things.. He found a Chevrolet on Craigslist for $1500. Guy said he worked in an army base in Arizona and would have the truck shipped to WV. I tried to tell him it would cost that much to have a truck shipped that far, but he took the bait. $1500 later he never heard another peep.
Chain Gang
Posted 4/15/2014 5:59 PM (#706992 - in reply to #706871)

That is the exact first message I got Steve. I reported the person to pay pal as well. I too could not sell a boat without someone looking at it. I just kept leading them on to try to get more information so I could share on here and report to pay pal
black_dawg
Posted 4/15/2014 6:06 PM (#706995 - in reply to #706879)

smada - 4/15/2014 9:24 AM

If you ever try to sell anything on craiglist you will get many of those types of requests. I usually respond with something really mean and vulgar, and they never respond back. In the end you just need to use common sense. Sadly these scammers must be successful since they still are doing it, there would be no point if everyone was smart enough to know better.

X2. Respond with plenty of insults. If it's a real person, they will normally respond back with something along the lines of, "whats with all the hostility." Explain from there.
Tackle Industries
Posted 4/15/2014 7:04 PM (#707008 - in reply to #706871)

LOL I get these all the time. I tell them I need a bank wire or Western Union payment and they don't even reply.
bigfoot
Posted 4/15/2014 7:28 PM (#707016 - in reply to #706871)

I've wondered how it would all go down if someone did fall for it. would any "shipping company" ever come? and i wonder how they scam through paypal too.. anyone know how this paypal scam works?

I sent some angry emails back to one of them one time, and got a reply with pictures of me off of facebook and saying that he knew where I went to school (also probably off fb) and that he was calling the police on me for trying to pull a fast one on him, haha
muskiewhored
Posted 4/15/2014 8:47 PM (#707032 - in reply to #706871)

Here is how the pay pal scam works if people don't know, you should know.

1- They (the scammer) will send you a phony (but legitimate looking) email from Pay Pal indicating that the money has been sent but won’t be credited to your account until you email back the tracking number. This is complete BS because Pay Pal will NEVER asks for a tracking number before crediting you the money. If you log in to your real Pay Pal account (not some link in an email) and there is no money present and no copy of that email, then it’s obvious that there is no transaction, but how many people will go through this extra trouble?

2 – They send you an email from Pay Pal (again phony) saying that the money has been sent but you must click on the enclosed link to confirm the transaction. The link then takes you to a very real looking Pay Pal site where you enter your log in details and BAM, you just fell for an old fashioned phishing scam where the scammer hacks your account and takes your money!

3 - The scammer pays you with a hacked Pay Pal account, (like from #2 above) the money goes in to your account, then once you send the item the real account holder reports the theft and Pay Pal
debits the money from your account. Now you have NO money and NO merchandise.

4 - The scammer pays you with a real Pay Pal account and ask you to ship the merchandise to a different address. Once you do so and they have the merchandise in hand, they turn around and file a charge-back saying that they never received the item. It doesn’t matter if you have a copy of the delivery confirmation or an email from them asking you to send the merchandise to a different address. You have NO protection from Pay Pal if you ship anywhere other than the verified Pay Pal address – (scammers know this and are hoping you wont).

5 - The oldest scam in the book is where the scammer sends you MORE money than you asked for. They will then apologize and say that they made a mistake but if you could please just wire the balance to their “shipping agent” through Western Union they will arrange a pickup. You do this, then the scammer files a charge-back with Pay Pal saying their account has been hacked, and that they never intended to send you any money. Pay Pal then turns around and debits the money from your account. This one really puts the SUCKER stamp one your forehead because now what happened is that you just sent the merchandise PLUS your own money to the scammer using another fake name through Western Union. How will you EVER live that down? Oh, wait…fortunately you read this article and you wont get stung! You are now SMART instead of STUNG!

Oh and Pay Pal ONLY protects you on transactions on EBAY! Nowhere else...

Edited by muskiewhored 4/15/2014 8:50 PM
Sidejack
Posted 4/16/2014 10:41 AM (#707118 - in reply to #706964)

Shep - 4/15/2014 4:04 PM
.. Some guy from Denver had a brother in Alfwanistan that was returning soon. br />

I think Alf's evil twin brother was from there..

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(AlfsSib.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments AlfsSib.jpg (10KB - 141 downloads)
Pepper
Posted 4/16/2014 11:22 AM (#707128 - in reply to #706871)

So what your saying is PayPal isn't as much of a pal as lots of people think?
muskiewhored
Posted 4/16/2014 8:51 PM (#707249 - in reply to #706871)

Ebay owns PayPal if you didn't know. More than likely the reason they only back purchases made there.. Cha Ching
hunter
Posted 4/17/2014 12:05 AM (#707268 - in reply to #706871)

Also beware of certified bank checks that don't have enough bank routing numbers on them! (Another scam in the dog selling world)
eightweight
Posted 4/17/2014 6:12 AM (#707276 - in reply to #706871)

here is one for you a boat posted on Craigslist
I found a Drift boat in Bend Oregon I am just outside Chicago. new these are $15,000.
I called the number he had listed, I spoke to a man and made him an offer of 7,000 he said he would think about it . the boat had pictures so I considered it legit
I got another call and he accepted the offer for the boat trailer oars and cover for $7,000 so I got an address and he said he recently moved and gave me the address to send the money to I agreed to send $3500.00 in a back cashiers check.
I did ask and got a picture of the title and the boats origination form from the manufacturer but as he stated the address was different as they moved. I called the manufacturer with the hull # and they verified that the boat was sold to the same person I was dealing with " at least by phone and internet"

I sent the $3500 on Thursday and it was delivered on Monday by the tracking information. I was out of town and did not call till Wednesday to ensure he got the payment.

here are the words no one wants to hear when making a deal and sending funds
" the customer you are calling is not available please try again later"
called later on Wednesday still same reply
Called Thursday Same reply
Called Friday morning same reply and also sent an email each time I called.

Friday afternoon I received an email that he got the funds and that he wanted to know when I could pick up the boat and give him the other $3500.00 by the way its 2011 miles from me to him and work schedules I could not make it out there.

I got a offer on Uship.com for $850 to transport the boat and called him to see if I overnighted the remaining $3500.00 would he let the transport company take the boat as it would be Saturday and he could not cash the check ? he said yeas as he trusted me .
Still thinking that I was pretty sure but not positive I called the Local police where he was and with out a birthdate of the person they could not provide any information but there were no boat scams going on in Oregon at the time.
needless to say all I could think of is that I hope this all comes together and that this is way to good to be true!!!

more to the story.
since its a 17' drift boat they can handle a small say 6 hp motor. after leaving the fedex office I called him and he answered to tell him the funds were on the way overnighted and that the transporter would be there around 5 pm Saturday night, I asked if he used a motor on it and he said yes I told him I was looking for a 4 stroke Yamaha 6 hp long shaft to put on it and if he thought that would be a good fit?
He laughed and said he had the same motor and it worked great would I like to buy it ? I asked how old it was and he sais its a 2013 and used it for 1 hour. these sell for approx. $1500.00 after taxes are included. I asked what he would take for it thinking 100 to 1200 would be a good deal and he said $1000.00?????

so here we go again !!!!!! no proof the motor exists but asked if he would take paypal !!!

he said yes sent me the information and I sent the money not as a gift but with the 3% to ensure I could at least get this $1000.00 back if this was a bad deal.
Saturday I called him after the checks tracking # said it was delivered and he answered saying he was not home but would call me when he got it so I waited for 2-3 long hours then called back . he answered and said he was packing the motor in the boat and that the transport company could pick it up earlier than planned.

I got an email from him Saturday night saying they took the boat and motor and the title was with the driver.

Held off calling the transport company as they said it would be late Monday before they arrived at my location approx. 50 hours to go 2011 miles.

Monday went to work and was in my office when my wife called and said there were 2 guys backing a boat in the driveway and should she pay them ????

I said yes and drove home

here is the end of the story ,
the boat was said to be a 2011 turned out to be a 2012 it is in like new condition , motor arrived and is also new with approx. 1 hour on it .

So lucky deal to come once in a lifetime and I apparently got mime !!!!!!!
Brozz88
Posted 4/17/2014 7:05 AM (#707285 - in reply to #707276)

You are a very brave gambling man with money to burn obviously! I would not have tried a stunt like that, glad it worked out for ya but I'd breath a huge sigh of relief if I were you.9 outa 10 times that wd be a scam.
eightweight
Posted 4/18/2014 5:18 AM (#707487 - in reply to #707285)

I agree but did call the police , had a copy of the registration and hull #, copy of the title, called and verified that the boat was sold to same person I was dealing with .
But your right you can never tell.
For the record do not have money to burn but did get a boat I was going to buy in a year or two for 1/2 price.

Thanks
Bill

Brozz88 - 4/17/2014 7:05 AM

You are a very brave gambling man with money to burn obviously! I would not have tried a stunt like that, glad it worked out for ya but I'd breath a huge sigh of relief if I were you.9 outa 10 times that wd be a scam.
Musky Face
Posted 4/18/2014 4:46 PM (#707606 - in reply to #706964)

Shep - 4/15/2014 4:04 PM

4 words silence them every time.

I only take cash.

i also did that, no reply back. Stupid scammers.

My brother was selling a car a few years ago. Some guy from Denver had a brother in Alfwanistan that was returning soon. Same deal, Pay Pal, and shipper will come. My brother told him he was leaving within the hour for Denver to deliver the car in person to honor the brother's brave service to our country, and no need to send the shipper, or the Pay Pal payment. He'd take cash when he got there. It was funny to read the response he got from the scammer!

castmaster
Posted 4/19/2014 9:40 AM (#707702 - in reply to #706871)

Here's a novel idea....why dont we take the $$ wasted on the "War on Cannabis" and use that for a war on white collar crime/fraud etc. naw, that would require real police work, much easier to catch some guy with a couple joints than it is to catch a organiuzed group of inter-state or international fraudsters!

Heck, try contacting your local or state police agencies after being scammed, like my elderly aunt did. She was pretty much told they didnt have the resources to pursue those types of crimes! Hmmm, what reason would there ever be for these types to stop what they are doing when they KNOW L.E. will not even investigate the crimes they commit.
castmaster
Posted 4/19/2014 10:58 AM (#707713 - in reply to #707008)

Tackle Industries - 4/15/2014 7:04 PM

LOL I get these all the time. I tell them I need a bank wire or Western Union payment and they don't even reply.

Just be aware that they can scam you just as easily via Western Union. 99% of places list using them for payment in their "flags" that it may be a scam reply.
Counterfeit cashiers checks and counterfeit postal money orders are also often used. Which is why one is best to do the same as Shep, only accept CASH for large items from unknown parties. Barring that no title etc is signed until both parties go to the bank to verify funds are good.

My guess is that many of them are actually phishing for your financial and personal info more than they are actually trying to get a boat or whatever for free.
Brozz88
Posted 4/19/2014 12:30 PM (#707725 - in reply to #707702)

castmaster - 4/19/2014 9:40 AM

Here's a novel idea....why dont we take the $$ wasted on the "War on Cannabis" and use that for a war on white collar crime/fraud etc. naw, that would require real police work, much easier to catch some guy with a couple joints than it is to catch a organiuzed group of inter-state or international fraudsters!

Heck, try contacting your local or state police agencies after being scammed, like my elderly aunt did. She was pretty much told they didnt have the resources to pursue those types of crimes! Hmmm, what reason would there ever be for these types to stop what they are doing when they KNOW L.E. will not even investigate the crimes they commit.

Awesome idea, Castmaster for president!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)