Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fishing shows disclosing location

Message Subject: Fishing shows disclosing location
jaultman
Posted 4/4/2014 11:49 AM (#704425)
Subject: Fishing shows disclosing location

You see a variety of levels of location disclosure on fishing shows. Some shows only give the name of the state, some specify region of the state/province, some even name the lake, and some get as explicit as a certain bay, etc. I'm fine with all the above (as long as they don't explicitly divulge "my spot").

But what about false claims of location? I recently watched a show that said they were on Lake A. Once in the episode they referenced a lakemaster map to show what types of spots they were fishing. That map was of a different lake, Lake B. Later, they focused the camera on their sonar/chart (while fishing) to show how they were working a particular spot. That spot, too, was on Lake B, but far away from the structure map they showed earlier of an area on Lake B. So either they weren't fishing on Lake A at all, or they really were, but went through the trouble of showing spots on their Humminbird from Lake B.

Either way, kind of weird. Why not just say they're fishing "somewhere in State A" and leave out lake names altogether?
Zib
Posted 4/4/2014 12:14 PM (#704431 - in reply to #704425)
Subject: RE: Fishing shows disclosing location

A lot of the segments that shows them demonstrating the sonar units are shot at a different time or location & are added in to the show. It's done to inform the viewer on how useful a sonar can be as a great tool to your fishing success & to help sell their sponsor's product. They're not doing it to show you where to fish on that particular body of water.

I watched an episode of one show (filmed on LSC) where they caught a musky but the shots where they cut away from the fish to focus on one of the other guys in the boat that was talking were actually shots filmed on a different part of the lake. I think they did this to protect the "spot" that they were fishing in. I'm in favor of this & wish other shows would do the same. I've seen other low budget shows that don't have a dedicated camera man so they don't even attempt to hide were they are fishing & as a result that spot is now overrun on LSC.

ToddM
Posted 4/4/2014 12:35 PM (#704436 - in reply to #704425)
Subject: Re: Fishing shows disclosing location

Nobody wants to name lake names, not on tv, not on this thread not even a lake that goes off the stocking list due to spearing. They are all lake x. Many times you can figure it out with what is given.

Edited by ToddM 4/4/2014 12:36 PM
Trophyseeker50
Posted 4/4/2014 7:23 PM (#704550 - in reply to #704425)

I have been trying to find a lake map of lake x. You would think for all the fish caught there someone would make a map. It's over by lake of the woods right?
Jeff78
Posted 4/4/2014 7:44 PM (#704558 - in reply to #704550)

What show(s) are you talking about?
muskyhunter47
Posted 4/5/2014 7:39 PM (#704756 - in reply to #704425)

I here you. Keyes outdoors some shows he tell what lake others he don't. I'm from MN and when he fishes mille lac lake he shows just a little bit of the shore line so I know right where he its fishing. Just like when he fishes LSC. I have no clue where he is fishing but if you fish the lake I bet you know where he is at. Other shows do it to i have old in fisherman videos when they fish mill lace lake they showshow Indian point in a lot of the shots . They all do it. I just comes down to whether you fish the lake or not.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 4/5/2014 7:50 PM (#704758 - in reply to #704756)

I know of one local show (not muskies) where they almost always try to throw you off their scent. Naming the wrong county or saying a lake tops out at 35' when I know for a fact it is only 25' deep. I really don't blame them, especially if they are on small waters.
bryantukkah
Posted 4/6/2014 3:17 AM (#704802 - in reply to #704425)

Who cares.
Juhas
Posted 4/6/2014 6:38 AM (#704803 - in reply to #704802)

Yep the whole thing has gotten way out of control. I would really enjoy seeing a show or talking to someone about musky fishing that is not trying to sell you something or promote a location.

Edited by Juhas 4/6/2014 6:43 AM
Brady080
Posted 4/6/2014 6:46 AM (#704804 - in reply to #704425)

internet ruined fishing
Cody
Posted 4/6/2014 8:15 AM (#704817 - in reply to #704425)

I totally agree with Bryan and Juhas !!
jaultman
Posted 4/7/2014 7:29 AM (#705010 - in reply to #704425)

My opinion is that if you don't want to name the lake, don't name the lake! No need to go through the trouble of pretending to be somewhere else.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 4/7/2014 8:53 AM (#705036 - in reply to #704802)

bryantukkah - 4/6/2014 3:17 AM

Who cares.

I agree with this!
ESOX Maniac
Posted 4/7/2014 9:51 AM (#705058 - in reply to #704425)

This thread is really very entertaining, it reconfirms my faith in human stupidity. I really don't blame Mike Keyes or others who produce these programs, as I don't think their intent should be to give you spots or specific lakes to fish! If you really watch these programs for that kind of information you are a very poor muskie fisherman, and if you need that kind of information my guess would be you couldn't find your donkey if I superglued your left hand to it!

I understand why the guides and well known muskie fisherman are very reluctant to share specifics about locations or lakes, what they are really sharing are techniques and insight into muskie fishing. Use those, go out there and find your own lake & fish or better yet, just sit at home & complain on a internet website..... because they won't have to deal with you following them around.

I fished the Petenwell Muskie Challenge every year up untill the end, and I would often see Mike Keye's on the water, even prefishing.. We would always greet each other and continue on our merry ways.. neither he or I were interested in whose spots or lake it was, I wasn't following him, neither was he following me. Maybe we just think alike? Actually, we were just fishing. When we got off the water at the registration meeting or banquet or awards, we'd shake hands and exchange information. I still miss that tournament.

When someone is on a spot I want to fish I give it a wide berth and continue on my merry way. Actually when fishing if I can see another boat, its getting crowded. I've had people watch me catch trophy walleyes in Canada and then move in on me, they even watched us with binoculars and changed their jigs to the same color we were using. They radio'd their buddies and another boat pulled into the bay 10 minutes later. Both boats fished for ~ 30 minutes more and finally left the bay. They were using the wrong jigs and presentation. Every time we caught a fish we would whoop & holler, then hold it up so they could clearly see it, and then release it in full view. They were usually less than 50yds from us. We probably caught & released + 10 big walleye's in the 30 minutes they were both there, and both boats never caught a fish the entire time they were in the bay. It was great fun!

I see the same thing in the ice fishing or muskie world or even saltwater world. Most folks couldn't find their donkey with their hand superglued to it. Recently while hospitalized, I watched Hot Tuna on National Geographic channel. Talk about a bunch of ego's, spying on each other and following each other around. It was entertaining. LOL

The internet didn't ruin fishing, it just reveals the worst in some people. Actually this thread is a sad indicator of how most view muskie fishing shows, e.g. lots of penile envy! I agree with bryantukkah. "Who cares!"

Edited by ESOX Maniac 4/7/2014 9:53 AM
jaultman
Posted 4/7/2014 10:10 AM (#705064 - in reply to #705058)

ESOX Maniac - 4/7/2014 9:51 AM

This thread is really very entertaining, it reconfirms my faith in human stupidity.
Actually this thread is a sad indicator of how most view muskie fishing shows, e.g. lots of penile envy! I agree with bryantukkah. "Who cares!"

I don't see penile envy in the thread at all. I don't even see any complaining. How is human stupidity evident in this thread?

And how did it seem fitting to brag about out-fishing a bunch of copycats in Canada?

I'll say it for the third or fourth time - when fishing shows don't say where they're fishing, great. When they do say, great. I think most people feel that way. There's no need to lie about where you're fishing. Just say, or don't.
Baby Mallard
Posted 4/7/2014 10:28 AM (#705067 - in reply to #705064)

I think we can all agree that we won't care if they disclose location on fishing shows unless it is a spot or lake that you/I fish on a regular basis.  Most fishermen are like a herd of sheep, they follow each other around doing the same thing...
Junkman
Posted 4/7/2014 10:42 AM (#705071 - in reply to #704425)

I think it's entirely appropriate to give a whole lot of latitude to people who are trying to make a living. You've always had guides yelling at the top of their lungs that their fishery was the best and most exciting in the world. Naturally, when you finally get there, you are often told, "If only you could have been here yesterday...the fish were jumping into the boat!" Lake homeowners who think the guides a bringing customers to THEIR lake aren't happy with the hype. People who are putting on a fishing show are often brought to a lake by a resort owner who very much wants all the publicity for a great bite that he can get. Naturally, the same is true with the local guides they fish with. To me, the most important part of all this is that it's just business, just people trying to make a living. More importantly, it's entertainment, just television where complexions aren't as smooth as they look, breasts not as big as they look. I fish Pewaukee Lake where you have to wait 45 minutes in line to fish the same four hundred feet of shore that 60 other guys just pounded to death. That's life! I can tell you where Lake X is: it's in Alaska!
jakejusa
Posted 4/7/2014 12:40 PM (#705098 - in reply to #704425)

I think the guys doing TV shows have allot invested. If they do something to "protect" waters for future shoots I cannot blame them. Look at Dance he did the ponds and stocked them now his studios are chock full of four lb Bass. If they want to let it out that is their business, but any tournament bass or walleye fisherman will have stories about their "honey hole" used in a tournament and within a year or two destroyed by pressure and harvest. I darn near have those stories every year now just with light guiding.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 4/7/2014 12:51 PM (#705099 - in reply to #705064)

jaultman - 4/7/2014 10:10 AM

ESOX Maniac - 4/7/2014 9:51 AM

This thread is really very entertaining, it reconfirms my faith in human stupidity.
Actually this thread is a sad indicator of how most view muskie fishing shows, e.g. lots of penile envy! I agree with bryantukkah. "Who cares!"

I don't see penile envy in the thread at all. I don't even see any complaining. How is human stupidity evident in this thread?

And how did it seem fitting to brag about out-fishing a bunch of copycats in Canada?

I'll say it for the third or fourth time - when fishing shows don't say where they're fishing, great. When they do say, great. I think most people feel that way. There's no need to lie about where you're fishing. Just say, or don't.

Yeah, right no envy or complaining in this thread. I bragged about it to prove that being a copycat or chasing someone elses lakes or spots will likely backfire on you. Learn to find fish, then fish! I really don't care what lake they are fishing or what spots, because its highly unlikely I will ever fish that lake..... Maybe I'm weird? I'm in it for the hunt, I like to find my own lakes and spots. Sometimes, I share them, sometimes not!
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/7/2014 12:55 PM (#705102 - in reply to #704804)

Brady080 - 4/6/2014 5:46 AM

internet ruined fishing

I'm sure you'll be donating all your tackle, boat, etc. To a kid who still enjoys fishing, since it is ruined for you, right?
sworrall
Posted 4/7/2014 1:05 PM (#705107 - in reply to #704804)

Brady080 - 4/6/2014 6:46 AM

internet ruined fishing

Said a guy on the internet.

esoxaddict
Posted 4/7/2014 1:06 PM (#705108 - in reply to #704425)

I used to think differently about this. Now I realize that the guys who are looking to shows (or others) for insight on where to fish, and how, and with what really aren't much of a threat. Bringing a lot of publicity to a small unknown fishery can certainly be a detriment. But the people who know of and fish those lakes are smart enough to keep them quiet. We all go through a phase where we want to put up every fish and tell every story and give every detail to boast our accomplishments. Seems like that wears off for mo0st, and unless you have a guide business or a product to sell, most people go on to just silently catching their fish and only telling the stories when they are particularly interesting or unusual.

There's only one way to become a better angler. Like anything else in this world, the books and the shows and the internet can be of great value. But going out there day after day and putting fish in the boat is something you will only be able to do consistently by going out there and doing it, and figuring out what went right and what went wrong today. From there, it's a matter of applying that to tomorrow or next week, or next month or next year. There are few secret lakes and few secret spots. Those lucky enough to have found them aren't likely to ruin them by shouting it from the rooftops.

The followers? Yeah, we've seen it. People watching with binoculars from across the lake, and moving onto a spot right after we left, throwing the same lures. Hmph. We went on to another area of the lake and caught fish there, after having burned out the fish we saw on the first spot. It's a 300 acre lake. Anybody who fishes it will eventually figure it out, or they will give up and go somewhere else.

Plenty of water and plenty of fish to go around...
FishFinder87
Posted 4/7/2014 1:12 PM (#705114 - in reply to #704425)

I think if you have found a successful combination to catch fish anywhere, especially canada where people have invested some money to be there, you can either share that success with others so that they can enjoy the trip as well OR should quietly celebrate and mind your own. Isn't feeling the satisfaction of catching fish and knowing you outfished them enough? By holding up the fish to them to make sure they see it, then bragging and belittling them on forums, you are no better then they are for moving in on 'your' spot.

As for the original topic. I agree with most others.. If its a bigger body of water that can handle pressure and they want to promote a lake, resort, or guide service, feel free to say it on air.. at the same time, if you want to protect the location and not give out the spot, that's fine too... Just don't LIE about it. I know I'd be a little upset if a well respected fisherman was sharing techniques and said that this is all happening on X lake... Looking for a place to go, we are intrigued and book a trip and spend thousands of dollars to come there, only to find out he was actually on Y lake. To me, that's not right. Say it or don't say it, just don't lie about it.

Edited by FishFinder87 4/7/2014 1:21 PM
Cody
Posted 4/7/2014 4:41 PM (#705165 - in reply to #704425)

Surely not like I'm gonna sell the secret to the Russians, Sometimes I tell my girls... to bad you aren't on the radio... Then i could turn you off !! When the show is misleading or too stealthy... I turn it off ! Like said, WHO CARES !
ESOX Maniac
Posted 4/9/2014 8:42 AM (#705581 - in reply to #705114)

FishFinder87 - 4/7/2014 1:12 PM

I think if you have found a successful combination to catch fish anywhere, especially canada where people have invested some money to be there, you can either share that success with others so that they can enjoy the trip as well OR should quietly celebrate and mind your own. Isn't feeling the satisfaction of catching fish and knowing you outfished them enough? By holding up the fish to them to make sure they see it, then bragging and belittling them on forums, you are no better then they are for moving in on your' spot.

I really don't get your convoluted thinking. I was minding my own........ They came blasting into a small cabbage bay (~5 acres 1-8FOW) on the far end of the smaller lake in a connected 2 lake system (6240 acres & 2450 acres) - we were ~ 12 miles from the resort on the larger lake (only one resort), The smaller lake has a native village and a campground. I took off at first light to get there and had to travel though a connecting outlet stream. We had been fishing ~45 minutes on a beautiful dead calm peaceful morning when they came blasting into the bay. Their boat coasted 1/3 the way into the bay and they could clearly see us from a 1/2 mile away. Should I have been happy? Not!

They watched us with binoclulars everytime we caught a fish, and a few times they were less than 50yds away. I don't mind sharing spots if you're civil about it, but these retards had no regards for us. I have invested thousands of dollars to fish this Canadian lake for trophy walleyes. I also have never kept a trophy walleye on either lake. That doesn't mean I have to share anything with them or you because you payed money to get there too. I don't own the water, but I expect common courtesy on the water. I also have never kept a trophy walleye on either lake.

I really don't care about your opinion of me. Did I belittle them here? Certainly. If you behave like they did, I would have also have the same disdain for you.

BTW: I do freely share with people who don't offend me.

Back to the topic at hand. If you go somewhere solely based on information in a TV fishing show, you really should expect dismal failure. But, yes lies about the lake or spots is not good.... But, I think its good that the honest ones are sharing what they are willing to with everyone. It is a business also and provides for their familes. I don't expect any fishing show TV host to point out specific structure on a lake map... or even say the spot. I'm more interested in the technical aspects.

I do really like to see others catch fish, especially if you're in my boat.

Have fun!
Al
ulbian
Posted 4/9/2014 9:55 AM (#705603 - in reply to #704425)

How much different is print media? Muskie anglers consume as much info as they possibly can so we've all read the same magazine articles. We've also evolved into a culture of instant gratification not patient enough to wait for a quality dinner when we can get the #1, #2, #3, etc. combo. With the last one there are many who will succumb to chasing after a bite on a particular lake or be seduced by a particular bait that is getting tons and tons of publicity. Instead of learning HOW to use a particular bait or WHY a fish eats a particular bait or WHY a fish is located where it is or WHEN you should be on that spot the need to stroke the ego pops up. It's why we see so many of the "what are the best 5 baits" or "what are the best 3 colors" threads over and over. Those are fine to a point but the newbie asking only those things is missing out on major pieces to the puzzle.

We all know bodies of water where the pressure "blew up" because of a magazine article or two primarily because a known guide is milking the resource promoting his business in print or on TV. Ok, whatever..a guy's gotta eat. There are ways to counteract that and it consists of adapting to the pressure...which many times means go somewhere else that has the same characteristics of the body of water that is getting beaten to death. A friend and I did this for years. Paid attention to fishing reports and when 1000 acre Lake A was kicking out fish and had a full parking lot we'd go to 100 acre Lake B a few miles away that was doing the same thing except we were the only ones there.
woodieb8
Posted 4/9/2014 10:19 AM (#705612 - in reply to #704425)

many times the so called fishing show is a tv ad for the bait product. 12 minutes of film 18 minutes of ads.
change hats shirts. reminds me of victory lane at nascar lol.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 4/9/2014 10:21 AM (#705614 - in reply to #705603)

ulbian - very well said!
jamesb
Posted 4/9/2014 12:55 PM (#705643 - in reply to #705581)

Esox --

"I don't mind sharing spots if you're civil about it, but these retards had no regards for us"

Off subject, but as someone who works with people with special needs, lose the r word. I know it's just a common saying and probably wasn't meant to be offensive, but the less that word is used the better.

Edited by jamesb 4/9/2014 12:57 PM
ESOX Maniac
Posted 4/9/2014 2:08 PM (#705660 - in reply to #705643)

James - Thanks for the reminder - I appologize, it was used out of context, and yes, the "r word" is offensive to many and doesn't fit. They they were donkeyholes!

I have a step-brother who is special needs, and would bend over backwards to offer help & advice to anyone with special needs. He loves fishing....... its one of the simple joys in the daily struggle to live a normal life in our society..

Back to the thread topic: I really think ulbian nailed it........
Have fun!
Al
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)