Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> fishin with dad

Message Subject: fishin with dad
B.Mirro
Posted 3/29/2014 12:53 PM (#703075 - in reply to #702737)
Subject: Re: fishin with dad

your lucky you got 19 and not zero buddy.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 3/30/2014 2:57 AM (#703185 - in reply to #702737)
Subject: RE: fishin with dad

Though my father passed when I was 24, I never had the opportunity to fish with him. Disabilities that ultimately took his life prevented him from fishing with me. Though he did provide some opportunity to fish in buying me some gear and bait whenever we were near fishable waters. I remember one of the first time as a kid 6-7 yrs old and he spent $10 on mepps spinners which at the time probaly meant 6 or seven of them. Fishing from on a flowage near Tomahawk Wi. I was left to fish from shore with my brother who also had $10 worth. In about an hours time we both had gone though our baits getting them all hung up in submerged trees and laydowns. As we came walking back, fishless and "out of bullets" the look on my Dad's face is one Ill never forget. particularly when he found out we hadnt landed a single thing. Though this beacme a story that was shared on occasion and of course laughed at in the years beafore he passed.
Though my father's disability prevented him from fishing, it didnt prevent my mother from taking me camping and fishing. The outing that first comes to mind was one in which we were out on a small 90acre lake as the bluegills were on their beds. Mom rented a row boat for me and off I went. I returned with two buckets of bluegills. Well there was another look Ill never forget. Not thinking of who had to clean them, I just assumed Mom would handle it. Well, that was the day your truely learned to clean gills.
If you have the opportunity to do so, go fishing with your parents and or children. I wish I could have shared more time with my father and now with my mother some 1200 miles away its never enough. I am looking forward to spending some time with her in the boat this summer with her grandkids...my twin nephews. (No kids of my own) Really looking forward to it!
Emptynet
Posted 3/30/2014 8:19 PM (#703366 - in reply to #702737)

Some of my best memories, and biggest regrets involved fishing with my Dad. My Dad was a workaholic and spent a lot of Sat. mornings at his office, vacation time often was a family trip that did not include fishing. When I was 13 he shocked me by suggesting a walleye trip to Ontario. We took that trip for 4 years with my best friend & his Dad. Then part time jobs and hanging with the guys took precedence over fish with the "old man". I turned down invites to join Dad & his friends on trips to Ontario for walleyes & trout in Wy. My Dad died when I was 21, and too cool to fish with my Dad. I still remember those trips like they were yesterday. Catching 20 to 50 walleyes a day, camp set up where the dirt road ended at the lake, and never wanting to go home. I've also spent the last 34 years regretting being too cool to fish with Dad & his friends. I'm trying not to hound my 17 year old son, but I sure don't want him to live with the same regrets that I have. With any luck, maybe just 1 teenager out there will understand this & not be as stupid as I was....
rumbler
Posted 3/30/2014 9:02 PM (#703371 - in reply to #702737)

I love fishing with my dad. If it wasn't for him, I dont know if I even would be fishing today! I try and get out with him as much as I can but he is pretty busy with work. Im 21 now and this pic was from when I was around 13.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(1901181_10152613204062995_957681418_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1901181_10152613204062995_957681418_n.jpg (89KB - 210 downloads)
vegas492
Posted 3/31/2014 8:41 AM (#703422 - in reply to #702737)

Just a great thread!
KenK
Posted 3/31/2014 11:55 AM (#703459 - in reply to #702737)

I wish I still could! Dad passed away in 1993. But he instilled fishing and the outdoors in me and my brother. I have 4 children and enjoy spending time up at the cabin with them. I can't wait for grandkids!
MuskieCat94
Posted 3/31/2014 1:46 PM (#703478 - in reply to #703075)

great thread, my dad was never much of a fisherman, however i was fortunate to have a grandfather who loved to fish. He taught me how to catch trout at a very young age. when my parents divorced he stepped up as both a grandpa and a dad and passed on to me his love for the outdoors.

Fishing is more than just fishing, fishing takes all the worries of the world and puts me at ease, its my therapy.

Being a father of 2, I have had my kids fishing with me as much as possible. The summer of 2013 i was able to take my 2yr son out with me once a week chasing tigers and i was able to help him crank in some hogs. Also had a day where my 17month old daughter and 2 and a half yr old walked some shoreline and i was able to get a 42" tiger with them . Muskie fishing is my passion and i have passed it on to my little ones

I hope I can share my love and passion of this sport with them.
beerforthemuskygods
Posted 3/31/2014 3:45 PM (#703505 - in reply to #703366)

Emptynet - 3/30/2014 8:19 PM

Some of my best memories, and biggest regrets involved fishing with my Dad. My Dad was a workaholic and spent a lot of Sat. mornings at his office, vacation time often was a family trip that did not include fishing. When I was 13 he shocked me by suggesting a walleye trip to Ontario. We took that trip for 4 years with my best friend & his Dad. Then part time jobs and hanging with the guys took precedence over fish with the "old man". I turned down invites to join Dad & his friends on trips to Ontario for walleyes & trout in Wy. My Dad died when I was 21, and too cool to fish with my Dad. I still remember those trips like they were yesterday. Catching 20 to 50 walleyes a day, camp set up where the dirt road ended at the lake, and never wanting to go home. I've also spent the last 34 years regretting being too cool to fish with Dad & his friends. I'm trying not to hound my 17 year old son, but I sure don't want him to live with the same regrets that I have. With any luck, maybe just 1 teenager out there will understand this & not be as stupid as I was....

Might try to get your son to read this whole thread from begining to end. I am fortunate to have gotten un-cool enough to have fished more with my dad. DO NOT beat yourself up over the times that you may have missed, hold onto and concentrate on all the times that you did get to fish with your father. It's probably safe to say, we would all give our left testicle to have one more chance to fish with dad. hang in there.
muskyroller
Posted 3/31/2014 5:42 PM (#703526 - in reply to #702737)

My dad took me to Canada when I was seven. I don't think he regrets it and I know I don't! Some of our best memories, conversations, pictures...all revolve around those trips to Canada. I'm 36. This will be year 28 for me. My grandpa started the tradition for my dad and three uncles 41 years ago. The 41st annual, Bates Canadian Fishing Trip takes place June 21 this year! We've been planning since July 1st, 2013 :o) It's kind of a big deal!

I know my dad won't read this, but thanks, Dad!

I think I owe him a beer and couple lures at the swap Saturday night...it's the least I can do.
PJV
Posted 3/31/2014 7:09 PM (#703537 - in reply to #702737)

Thankfully, my Dad is a happy and healthy 73 years old - not much of a fisherman though. He was always willing to bait a hook, and cleaned his fair share of 4-5" perch. As I've become a fisherman, he's made a great effort to come along on a few trips, and I really appreciate the quality time we've been able to spend together on the water.

All of that being said, I owe my fishing addiction to my Uncle Bill. I can't tell you how many mornings he woke me up at dawn to go catch smallmouth off the dock. Then he got a little rowboat with a ten horse so we could get out to the drop-off, and ultimately picked up a nice Lund rebel, and we chased sallmouth, Northern, and Walleye whenever we could. No matter what, Uncle Bill always made sure we had a great time, and always made sure I ended up with the biggest fish of the day... Even if that meant that my 14 ½ incher somehow measured 16", and his 17 incher measured out at 15 and 15/16" - I always felt like a winner.

Uncle Bill spent the last few years suffering from Parkinson's and dementia, but even once he was non-communicative, his eyes would light up every time I came back from a trip and told him about the adventure.

Thanks UB. I miss you, and I loved every minute we spent together on the water.

Larbo
Posted 4/1/2014 11:01 AM (#703651 - in reply to #702737)

Dad started us on the farm ponds and gravel pits. Took our first of many trips to Leech and stayed at Jolly Elf Camp Ground in Walker Bay. We fished out of a 16' wooden boat powered by a 6 horse Johnson motor that weight more than me at the time. Oohhh the chapters of memories he made for me and my two brothers. Pop is in his 80's now. I make sure the lodge, cabin and docks are all close by. In the last 10 years he has caught his biggest musky, walleye, pike and smallmouth on LOTW. I have 50 years of fishing with him and I can't imagine fishing with out him.
Jimbo
Posted 4/1/2014 5:14 PM (#703717 - in reply to #702737)

My Dad is currently 87 yrs old and I have been fishing with him every single year of my life. Well maybe not the first couple. We have been going to Canada the last 10 yrs straight and planning on going again this year. One of the best moments was about 5 years ago when we were muskie fishing in Oneida County in the fall. Dad was just watching his big bobber with a sucker on a quick set rig because he didn't have the strength anymore to throw those big muskie lures. Well has you would guess the big bobber took off. I grab his pole and gave 2 hard hook sets and handed the rod to Dad. After a great fight and almost a screw up on the netting job by me he hauled in the biggest muskie of both of our lives. A nice 48" that was photographed and quickly released before Dad had a chance of thinking about keeping it. You can see by the picture it wasn't the nicest day out but I should have at least thought about getting him to remove his hood so you could see his face with that great big smile a little better. But I have been lucky to share a lot of fishing/hunting experiences with my Dad.

Edited by Jimbo 4/1/2014 5:19 PM

(Copy of Dad-48-Muskie.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Copy of Dad-48-Muskie.JPG (50KB - 205 downloads)
woodieb8
Posted 4/1/2014 7:54 PM (#703749 - in reply to #702737)

and that's what its about to me sweet smile that money can never buy
zombietrolling
Posted 4/1/2014 8:42 PM (#703756 - in reply to #702737)

I fish with my pop all the time and there is nothing better to me than to see him catch. He doesn't muskie fish but will sit in the back casting for what ever will bite. He's caught a few muskies by accident on light gear and one 33" on his UL rig pan fishing. The fish even jumped for him. Turned out to be the biggest fish he ever caught. I don't take these days for granted.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 4/2/2014 8:46 AM (#703816 - in reply to #703756)

2-3 hrs at a time is enough for my dad so I try to get him in Walleyes, Catfish or anything that is really going. I still need to put him on a 50" 'ski though.

Edited by Masqui-ninja 4/2/2014 8:47 AM

(P1080108-001.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P1080108-001.JPG (46KB - 214 downloads)
jimjimjim
Posted 4/2/2014 3:01 PM (#703918 - in reply to #703816)

I'm 63 and Dad is 90 ,,, we still fish muskies every year !!! Dad still casts his black Suick and gets'em !!! ----------
hunter
Posted 4/3/2014 1:52 AM (#704029 - in reply to #702737)

My dad moved to Solon Springs WI 25 years ago 4 doors down from his life long fishing buddy both on the lake. He was to old to deer hunt after a few years, but we had gotten bit by the musky bug. One of my fondest memories was him in a bright orange deer hunting coat coveralls sitting on his heater in 20 degree and snow weather catching muskies with me! We had to thaw out our Abu's after every cast from the ice build up and to get the grease warmed back up! He never complained but I think it was because he was out fishing me!
bowhunter29
Posted 4/8/2014 9:52 AM (#705354 - in reply to #702737)

My dad and I have been fishing together since I was 3. We take time every year to do a trip or two. I have so many great memories of hunting and fishing with him, but last year's trip has to be at the top of the list. Last August we spent about 8 days in WY fishing the North Platte. It was an epic trip. We camped on BLM land, cooked over a campfire, and caught some huge fish. We're already planning a return trip this year. Here's a few pictures from last year's trip.

jeremy

(18c [640x480].jpg)

(18d [640x480].jpg)

(38 [640x480].jpg)

(45a [640x480].jpg)

(45c [640x480].jpg)

(46 [640x480].jpg)

(51 [640x480].jpg)

(64 [640x480].jpg)

(66a [640x480].jpg)

(66b [640x480].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 18c [640x480].jpg (69KB - 220 downloads)
Attachments 18d [640x480].jpg (87KB - 185 downloads)
Attachments 38 [640x480].jpg (93KB - 204 downloads)
Attachments 45a [640x480].jpg (96KB - 201 downloads)
Attachments 45c [640x480].jpg (95KB - 185 downloads)
Attachments 46 [640x480].jpg (91KB - 191 downloads)
Attachments 51 [640x480].jpg (74KB - 192 downloads)
Attachments 64 [640x480].jpg (90KB - 187 downloads)
Attachments 66a [640x480].jpg (90KB - 194 downloads)
Attachments 66b [640x480].jpg (86KB - 199 downloads)
walkingstick
Posted 4/8/2014 11:37 AM (#705378 - in reply to #702737)

Hats off to you guys that still have that relationship with your DAD. That is very special! I do not have to tell you that though, you already know.
EsoxAndy
Posted 4/9/2014 8:28 PM (#705746 - in reply to #702737)

My dad had me out in the boat before I can now remember I remember casting with my 6ft st croix in our yard with hookless baits though. Some of my best memories with my little brother come from "fishin with dad". He knows our family cabin lake like the back of his hand, and even if he said it was stupid to be out fishing....I'd still go out for that big girl. He never said no you can't use my boat! I can't wait to fish with him on our visit home! (he always gets the fish...he hasn't been in the boat for most of my memorable experiences though!). Oh and then Evergreen Lodge by Mal on Eagle, with dad....ohhhhhhh how I hope we can do that again! We can even bring the little bro!
HomeTime
Posted 4/17/2014 9:06 AM (#707315 - in reply to #702737)

I still fish with my dad. I got him into muskie fishing. He used to fish a lot when he was young with his father, but stopped when he started working for a living. I grew up with a bunch of guys who lived to fish, so that is where my passion started. I have reunited him with fishing the past 12-15yrs or so and so happy to be able to enjoy his renewed passion with him.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)