Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> fishin with dad

Message Subject: fishin with dad
woodieb8
Posted 3/27/2014 6:56 PM (#702737)
Subject: fishin with dad

how many you guys got to fish with your dads., memories??/
muskyhunter47
Posted 3/27/2014 7:00 PM (#702740 - in reply to #702737)
Subject: Re: fishin with dad

I started fishing with my dad when I could hold a rod.back in the late 60 s he fish for food with me in the boat that was one more limit
Pointerpride102
Posted 3/27/2014 7:22 PM (#702747 - in reply to #702737)

Still fish with mine. One of the big factors in why I left Utah for MN. Hoping to get a lot more outings with him.

One of my favorite memories was from about 5 years ago. We were staying on Wabigoon and the weather was typical for our fishing trips. Low 50 high 40s, 30+ mph sustained winds, 15 degree drop in water temps....in July. So we took a boat and went exploring to some bush lakes. Found one on a map that said it had musky and perch. I plugged it into the GPS and we set out to find it. Had to drag some downed trees out of the way but we got there.

The "launch" was a drop off the "road" into some shallow marshy area. As you can imagine there were Mosquitos the size of bats, and they were apparently starving. Naturally, we left the bug spray at the cabin. But we got the boat in and got out on the lake away from the Mosquitos. Found a rocky point and started casting. Almost instantly we were moving fish, sometimes a few at a time. No size to them, but they were aggressive. My dad caught his second ever musky, and his first actually targeting them, and it was on a figure 8.

I don't remember how many we caught, but we saw plenty before we called it a day. Driving back to the cabin we heard a strange clinking sound, which turned out to be the brand new 15 horse Yahmaha that had fallen off the boat and went for a spin on the highway.

Replacing the motor: $3000 (split with camp)
Adventure in the Canadian bush with my old man: Priceless.
horsehunter
Posted 3/27/2014 7:57 PM (#702757 - in reply to #702737)

I grew up not knowing people fished in the daytime. If there was daylight dad was working on something. Come dark we would go out and still fish mostly with worms sometimes all night. As a kid on summer holiday I was in heaven. We caught lots of bass and pickerel (walleye to most of you guys) 12 foot plywood boat he built himself 5 HP Johnson and our depthfinder/anchor. The last time I took him out with a bad back 2 hip replacements and cancer he was only good for an hour in the boat but he caught a 6 pound lake trout which is my most treasured fish picture. That was the last time we fished together.

Edit: My Dads rod reel and all the tackle he owned cost less than one of my Hosebaits but he could catch a feed of fish pretty much any time he wanted pickerel bass mudcats he ate them all.

Edited by horsehunter 3/27/2014 8:55 PM
FishFinder87
Posted 3/27/2014 8:57 PM (#702774 - in reply to #702737)
Subject: RE: fishin with dad

Best memories! I think I learned how to use a spinning reel before I could walk! Don't get to fish with him as often as I'd like, but he's the one who gave me this addiction..that's for sure. If you have a kid, take them fishing.

Edited by FishFinder87 3/27/2014 8:59 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(1912554_10151982723581129_405483279_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1912554_10151982723581129_405483279_n.jpg (43KB - 207 downloads)
tyler k
Posted 3/27/2014 9:04 PM (#702779 - in reply to #702737)

My dad rarely fishes, and knows very little about fishing. I end up teaching him. Then he gets bored (yes even if bass or bluegill fishing) and stops. Never botched a net job for me though.
dfkiii
Posted 3/27/2014 9:04 PM (#702780 - in reply to #702737)

Great story pointer !

My Dad wasn't much of a fisherman but made sure I had the gear and opportunities to go fishing whenever I wanted. He's been gone for 16 years now but I think of him often and what I wouldn't give to spend time with him again. Thanks Pops !
Vince Weirick
Posted 3/27/2014 9:19 PM (#702784 - in reply to #702737)

I have gotten to spend some quality time pan fishing with my dad and son last year. My dad just got a kidney transplant and we are all looking forward to getting out fishing some more! There are so many memories that we have had through the years from my first fish, first fly-in, first muskie he landed with me!
muskyhunter63
Posted 3/27/2014 9:24 PM (#702785 - in reply to #702784)

Fished very little with my Dad but made up for it by fishing all I can with my kids! I don't want them to miss out on what I did.
Ken
ChiefFan08
Posted 3/27/2014 9:26 PM (#702786 - in reply to #702737)

My dad started me out fishing at a young age, mostly bass, panfish and catfish. I was introduced to musky fishing by a friend and now I've bitten my dad with the bug. He had a upper 40's blow up boatside in murky water just before he went into the figure 8 the first or second time out. Didn't get the hooks, but much easier to convince him to musky fish now.

We fish together multiple times a year and it is always great, even when the fishing is tough.

So glad he introduced me to it, and taught me the basics. Now I return the favor with new techniques and technology.

Chain Gang
Posted 3/27/2014 10:05 PM (#702794 - in reply to #702737)

Grew up fishing with my dad and grandpa. Those are some of the best memories I have. Dad and I still laugh at some of my grandpas fishing insight, for instance when I was a kid I would say grandpa let's go fish that spot over there and he would say " they can swim can't they". That is hard to argue with lol. The coolest thing I think is that at some point in life the role is reversed and you take dad fishing. That is something my dad always did with grandpa no matter how much of a chore it was and i will do the same when the time comes because there is no better fishing partner than a dad!
beerforthemuskygods
Posted 3/27/2014 10:19 PM (#702796 - in reply to #702737)

I was spoiled rotten as a child. My father worked at Lock and Dam #7 on the Mississippi. He would take me to work with him and put me in one of the dam-boats and say "be back in 8 hours". He taught me the basics and as time went on, I was able to get him out on the water, whether it was for ducks or fish, I tried to get him out there as often as i could. As the muskie-bug hit me about 20years ago, he would go with me and toss small bass-style spinnerbaits and i would be throwing whatever large muskie bait was hot at the time. You should have heard him hoot-n-hollar when he would catch a muskie (i'm sure the whole lake heard him) and then proceed to grind on me for buying all this expensive gear to catch such an easy fish for a $1.99 spinnerbait. I couldn't help but find the humor in it. Although, one particular time i had him out (bass and pike fishin)and i was just slayin 'em right and left, and he just couldn't get the hooks in them. This went on for a good hour or so before i finally asked to look at his set-up. Well, low and behold, he forgot to remove all the plastic gaurds on his new spinnerbaits! I had my revenge. As the cancer progressed, we hung out closer to home fishing for panfish, and it still didn't change, everyone on the lake knew when my ol' man caught a bluegill. The last time I had him out the pannies didn't want to cooperate, so we went for a boat ride, and I kid you not when I say that he was like a dog sticking its head out the truck window when we cruised around the lake. That was 3 years ago, I miss him. For all of you guys (gals) that still have this opportunity, enjoy every second. Even if your father sings: "here comes mr. pelican, his beak holds more than his belly-can" every time he sees a pelican!

Edited by beerforthemuskygods 3/27/2014 10:22 PM
wvhillbillyjlm
Posted 3/27/2014 10:32 PM (#702800 - in reply to #702796)

My Dad wasn't a fisherman but we have hunted together a good bit.

I do hope that in 30 years when someone else starts a topic like this I hope my son will post this pic again of his first musky.

(calebs 1st (427x500).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments calebs 1st (427x500).jpg (144KB - 190 downloads)
showtime
Posted 3/27/2014 10:54 PM (#702805 - in reply to #702796)

only 21 years old, and fish with my dad entire life, be it ice, open water, bass, walleye, northern, panfish, and since our move to Wausau about 4 years ago I have gotten him into muskie fishing.I have fished with guides and experts here and there but would rather take a slow day fishin with my dad then a hot day with anyone else.

Edited by showtime 3/27/2014 11:08 PM

(DSCF0126 (Copy).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCF0126 (Copy).JPG (63KB - 194 downloads)
middlefork61
Posted 3/28/2014 6:41 AM (#702820 - in reply to #702737)

Fish with my dad all the time but he just likes setting limb lines for catfish and driving the boat really fast lol.
Sam Ubl
Posted 3/28/2014 6:57 AM (#702822 - in reply to #702820)

I did a write up on a good memory fishing with Dad. Feel free to check it out:

http://icefishing.outdoorsfirst.com/articles/10.10.2010/2950/The.Re...
walkingstick
Posted 3/28/2014 7:16 AM (#702828 - in reply to #702737)

Fantastic post. I am 68+ years old and never go out fishing or hunting I don't think of my Dad. I was privileged to have had such a wonderful mentor and friend as he was and I miss him as much today as the day he passed. He taught me the meaning of unconditional LOVE for my wife and my family, the outdoors and everyone in my world. I could not have had better. I believe I was born with a pole and a gun in my hands. I have cherished my time and my memories with my Dad and truly wish we could still be doing things together. For those of you that still fish with Dad I envy you and for those of you that don't fish with Dad I feel sorry you are missing out on a great experience.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 3/28/2014 7:24 AM (#702829 - in reply to #702737)

My dad was from the old country, born and raised in Croatia. Big fishing and hunting peoples. He introduced me and my two older brothers to fishing for trout at some local lakes and streams as we grew up. Ever since, it became a way of life, that simple. This April will be the 3rd year anniversary of my dad's passing....He died suddenly in a horrible tractor accident and not a day goes by that I don't think about him....I have dedicated my lure making business to him because before he died, he always expressed how proud of me he was when he saw them! I played basketball all my life and got a full ride to play college ball and he never once told me he was proud of me for that....That's why this endeavor is so special to me! I miss my dad so much even though, at times when he was living, I couldn't stand him....Its a shame how we often times take things for granted or appreciate them SO much more when they are gone. I'm trying to get better at that! A lesson among so many lessons my dad taught and is still teaching me today even though he is gone. I know we will meet again for sure and I look forward to the day I get to fish with him again!

Love ya Pops!

horsehunter
Posted 3/28/2014 7:33 AM (#702832 - in reply to #702737)

here comes mr. pelican, his beak holds more than his belly-can" every time he sees a pelican!

That's the first time I've heard that since my Dad died in fact the only other time I've heard it. I was never sure if it was something he made up. I'll have to remember to lay that on my granddaughter.

Edited by horsehunter 3/28/2014 7:34 AM
woodieb8
Posted 3/28/2014 8:16 AM (#702843 - in reply to #702737)

ya good memories. us kids bobbing in the wooden boat with that new 6hp martin outboard,when the fishing tugs ,went by. or getting excited when dad said go dig worms. we were going fishin.. when we got home mom fried up our catch in oil. remember the artery plugging lard.sometimes I believe we had more then patches on pants,nuts and bolts fer sinkers.
when my dad got older my joy was takin him fishin.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/28/2014 8:26 AM (#702847 - in reply to #702737)

I've been fishing with the old man all of my life! We fish together quiet a bit still but just ice fishing and summer eyes. It was my idea to start muskie fishing, so I made him take me out one day when I was maybe 12. I was desperate to catch a muskie from watching the old Infisherman shows. To my dismay, he proceeded to catch about a 34 inch tiger and I lost a pure that was maybe 38! Good times.

(eyes.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments eyes.jpg (71KB - 205 downloads)
vegas492
Posted 3/28/2014 8:43 AM (#702851 - in reply to #702737)

The best times I've had in life have been with my dad in a boat.
He took me bluegill fishing when I was 4 years old. And that is my earliest childhood memory.
Dad never was much of a musky nut, but he would always offer to take me on my quest when I was young.
Dad prefers walleyes. And a finer jig fisherman you will never meet.

As far as memories...I remember the first time I dropped an F-bomb with him while in our boat. He hooked a nice fish on a jig and minnow. Fought it and it pounded deep like a large walleye. Then it came to the surface and I netted the beast. Only to find a 28 inch northern on the end of the line. Disgusted I said "Aw, it is just a F______ northern!" He set his rod down in disbelief. Looked at me smiled and said, "Dont' let your mothing catch you using language like that." Typical dad!

Not too long ago he came to visit me down around Milwaukee. I took him out for muskies on Pewaukee. Hit a few good "local" spots. Fish were active. I got him in the front of the boat, told him where to cast, gave him the "hot" bucktails and watched him catch two nice fish. 36 and 38. That was a fun trip for me.

Can't wait to get north for some walleye action again this spring with him.

Edited by vegas492 3/28/2014 8:45 AM
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 3/28/2014 9:13 AM (#702859 - in reply to #702737)

My Dad fished about one week a year when I was growing up for the Wolf River Walleye Run (Wisconsin). However, we hunted together since I was 9. Family hunts are a "never to be broken" family tradition. It is incredible!
I usually convince my Dad to fish about once every other year, to which he invariably teasingly responds, "ok, but I won't have fun!!" My Dad seldom if ever swears. The last time out he raised a 50"+ which followed a figure 8. He dropped to his knees and had his arms nearly up to his elbows into the water doing additional figure 8's all the while screaming, "Hit IT You F-----!!!!"
I quietly asked if he was having fun yet? I almost ended up going for a swim!
Both my Son and Daughter (31 & 27) have been fishing with me since they were 4. They continue to fish with me multiple times a year inspite of their schedules. We are blessed!

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 3/28/2014 9:15 AM
milje
Posted 3/28/2014 8:15 PM (#702968 - in reply to #702737)

Still fish with dad as much as possible. A few years ago we went every day after work during the summer and sometimes twice a day on the weekends.

Now it's pretty much agreed upon that every Saturday and Sunday that the water is open we are fishing, don't even have to call each other anymore one upon us just shows up at the others house.
esoxaddict
Posted 3/28/2014 11:45 PM (#702994 - in reply to #702737)

woodieb8 - 3/27/2014 6:56 PM

how many you guys got to fish with your dads., memories??/

I wouldn't be fishing if it wasn't for my dad. I don't know if I should thank him for that or clobber him for it.

My first memory of fishing with my dad was down in Florida in 1974. Aside from fishing on Florida every year, we used to go to Silver Lake in Kenosha County every weekend. Those were my summers growing up. He'd come home on Friday with 3 dozen night crawlers, and off we'd go. I'm sure he cringed when I came back to the camper with my latest catch and asked if we could have fish for supper. Every single Saturday... In the past several years, I've taken him musky fishing a few times. It's a bit much for him, and he still doesn't understand why you can't eat them. My best memories now are visiting him down in Florida and taking trips on the party boat. He gets to eat everything he catches, and there's always a cooler full of cold bear for the 2 hour ride back. I'm kind of jealous. He and his buddies fish every Wednesday, and I'm up here freezing waiting for the lakes to thaw out. Fond memories? Watching a 25# carp nearly take him out of the boat trolling (I made him hold the rod) was fun. Almost as fully as his reaction when he saw what it was. "I just about broke my b%&lls for a %^#in CARP?!" I guess rowing him around the lake unhooking snags every other cast a few years ago so we could eat a bucket of sunfish for dinner that I had to clean and cook wasn't exactly fond. It was payback for my youth! Tried to turn him to the dark side with muskies and smallmouth, as shown in the picture below, but he still wants to eat them all.

Edited by esoxaddict 3/28/2014 11:48 PM

(Dad.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dad.jpg (158KB - 196 downloads)
Wade Alexander
Posted 3/29/2014 1:25 AM (#703000 - in reply to #702994)

always kinda liked this one:)

Edited by Wade Alexander 3/29/2014 1:28 AM

(432277_10150608425965935_2029353953_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 432277_10150608425965935_2029353953_n.jpg (121KB - 177 downloads)
c44hmusky
Posted 3/29/2014 10:39 AM (#703043 - in reply to #702737)

I fish with my dad 99% of the time. He has taught me almost everything I know about fishing. I wouldn't trade a day of fishing with him for anything. Every time out with him is a memory.

Mike

Edited by c44hmusky 3/29/2014 10:42 AM

(DSCN1516 - Copy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN1516 - Copy.jpg (96KB - 192 downloads)
horsehunter
Posted 3/29/2014 10:49 AM (#703047 - in reply to #702737)

This has been one of the nicest threads all winter but it's making me sad in that I can no longer fish with my dad and never had a son.

Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 3/29/2014 10:54 AM (#703049 - in reply to #702737)

No problem horse hunter, there are millions of kids that would love the opportunity to have someone who knows what they are doing take them out!
DMJones
Posted 3/29/2014 11:01 AM (#703050 - in reply to #702737)

Great memories of fishing with Dad although I lost him when I was just 19. Spent a lot of time fishing with my kids and my oldest boy is way better than me. I think it skipped a generation and he inherited the hunting and fishing skills. We just bought a new Alumacraft trophy 185 together but it is in storage waiting for the ice to go out and it's killing both of us. I've not caught a musky yet but he has caught loads of them so I'm going to listen and learn as soon as we can get on the water. Looking forward to a summer of great new memories.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)