Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Lake Michigan Musky(Chicago)

Message Subject: Lake Michigan Musky(Chicago)
muskyfolly
Posted 2/20/2014 12:36 PM (#692815)
Subject: Lake Michigan Musky(Chicago)

I have pondered about Muskies being in Lake Michigan's Chitown area for a bit of time. I just wondered if anyone has any information on this topic or thoughts were? I've done some investigating myself through muskies inc and the illinois dnr. I talked to a biologist that studies lake Michigan and was told that introducing a new species would be too hard upon agreement of all the states bordering lake Michigan and introducing a new species could have varied results. But they would not be a new species to the area, greenbay is just north a bit, yes a way bit but its still connected. I would love to see myself fishing for musky in my hometown. Also they could be a predator for the threatning Asian carp!!
toothycritter88
Posted 2/20/2014 12:49 PM (#692818 - in reply to #692815)
Subject: RE: Lake Michigan Musky(Chicago)

I wondered the same thing. Im sure there has been a few escaped from GB
oconesox
Posted 2/20/2014 12:57 PM (#692821 - in reply to #692815)

There was a 48" Muskie caught near McKinley marina in milwaukee back in 2010. I'm going to try to attach a pic and link to the jsonline article.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (43KB - 500 downloads)
vegas492
Posted 2/20/2014 1:01 PM (#692824 - in reply to #692815)
Subject: Re: Lake Michigan Musky(Chicago)

That same year there was a 33 inch musky caught in Milwaukee as well. Speculation was that those fish came from the river system leader into the harbor.
ToddM
Posted 2/20/2014 1:29 PM (#692831 - in reply to #692815)

Will never happen. Green Bay is diverse habitat and can support cold and warm water fisheries. Chicago does not have as much diverse habitat. The muskies would mingle with the salmon and because of that you would need to stock 10k fish at least to establish any sort of fishable population.
Mr Fisherman
Posted 2/20/2014 2:51 PM (#692845 - in reply to #692815)

I have fished the Chicago Lakefront all my life. Have caught Pike, Stripers ,Walleyes,Largemouth,Crappies,Catfish
and everything from Shopping Carts to Pipe Bombs. Never caught or saw a Musky but I bet people have put a few
in the lake around here. I heard stories about guys putting stripers in from the cooling lakes.
eightweight
Posted 2/20/2014 4:35 PM (#692868 - in reply to #692815)

I thought for sure the answer would be NO WAY!!!!!

muskyfolly - 2/20/2014 12:36 PM

I have pondered about Muskies being in Lake Michigan's Chitown area for a bit of time. I just wondered if anyone has any information on this topic or thoughts were? I've done some investigating myself through muskies inc and the illinois dnr. I talked to a biologist that studies lake Michigan and was told that introducing a new species would be too hard upon agreement of all the states bordering lake Michigan and introducing a new species could have varied results. But they would not be a new species to the area, greenbay is just north a bit, yes a way bit but its still connected. I would love to see myself fishing for musky in my hometown. Also they could be a predator for the threatning Asian carp!!
Slamr
Posted 2/20/2014 6:58 PM (#692906 - in reply to #692815)

The Michigan DNR (and I believe WI) is already cutting down on stocking salmon in Lake Michigan for this year and possibly next because of a lack of alewives. The hope is that less predators will bring back the forage base.

That being said...the chances of the introduction of an apex predator...yeah, going with no.

esoxaddict
Posted 2/20/2014 7:34 PM (#692912 - in reply to #692906)

Slamr - 2/20/2014 6:58 PM

The Michigan DNR (and I believe WI) is already cutting down on stocking salmon in Lake Michigan for this year and possibly next because of a lack of alewives. The hope is that less predators will bring back the forage base.

That being said...the chances of the introduction of an apex predator...yeah, going with no.

Wait... WHAT?!

Alewives are an invasive, aren't they? This is going back a long time, but if I remember correctly the reason the Coho and Chinook salmon were introduced to Lake Michigan in the first place was to control the alewife population, and because the native lake trout were all but fished out... Now they're reducing stocking in hopes the alewives will come back?

I don't get it...

scot
Posted 2/20/2014 7:44 PM (#692917 - in reply to #692906)

I think it would be pretty awesome, and also think there are some giants out there. But well never be a fishable population. And even if there was, I feel like it would be extremely difficult to locate and catch them with the average depth of the lake being 250 feet!
muskyfolly
Posted 2/20/2014 9:11 PM (#692944 - in reply to #692815)

I was thinking of local populations being a possibilities. Plenty of weeds in the harbors with plenty of forage, bass,sucker,carp,perch,shad etc. I do believe they are catching decent pike from the ice now in the harbors.
goose007us
Posted 2/20/2014 11:11 PM (#692960 - in reply to #692815)

I have pondered the question and posted it here a while back. I asked an IL DNR officer at our club meeting and he couldnt really provide a straight answer other than "they dont migrate this far south." ??
miket55
Posted 2/21/2014 12:12 AM (#692968 - in reply to #692845)

Mr Fisherman - 2/20/2014 3:51 PM

I have fished the Chicago Lakefront all my life. Have caught Pike, Stripers ,Walleyes,Largemouth,Crappies,Catfish
and everything from Shopping Carts to Pipe Bombs. Never caught or saw a Musky but I bet people have put a few
in the lake around here. I heard stories about guys putting stripers in from the cooling lakes.

What did you do with the pipe bombs??
Mr Fisherman
Posted 2/21/2014 5:38 AM (#692976 - in reply to #692815)

Ony caught one. Piece of conduit threaded and capped both sides with a half burned wick.
Threw it back.
dcates
Posted 2/21/2014 6:56 AM (#692985 - in reply to #692815)

FWIW - I am aware of a few random Muskie catches in Burn's Harbor (Indiana). The Speculation was they were Skinner Lake stocked fish that swam a LONG way. The Indiana DNR has not been terribly receptive to the concept of establishing a fishable Muskie population in Lake Michigan. Then again, they have changed their position on size limits (at least on Webster), so hope remains!
ILmuskie
Posted 2/21/2014 8:08 AM (#692993 - in reply to #692815)

Stock Great Lakes Muskie in Illinois Lake Michigan would be great but not cheap! $12@ per fish and lot of fishermen in Chicago would keep anything! I know few pike came from Burnham, Diversity and North point harbors. Pike is natural reproduction and always low in number. Maybe 1 or 2 musky there came from Wisconsin and Michigan but not easy! 1,000,000 cast per musky! Ha! Ha!

Edited by ILmuskie 2/21/2014 8:09 AM
callworth
Posted 2/21/2014 8:24 AM (#692999 - in reply to #692815)

There was a musky caught in Belmont or Diversey Harbor a few years back
Slamr
Posted 2/21/2014 9:03 AM (#693007 - in reply to #692999)

WHY should there be muskies in Lake Michigan? If you have access, but you're not fishing salmon and trout because they're not muskies...you should try catching a 20lb+ king on 20lb mono line while not stopping the boat and having 8 other lines out on a small boat...it's crazy fun!
Larbo
Posted 2/21/2014 10:17 AM (#693019 - in reply to #692815)

Okay I will ask a stupid question. Were musky ever native to Lake Michigan Chicago area or Lake Michigan in general.
ToddM
Posted 2/21/2014 1:21 PM (#693057 - in reply to #692815)

Tomorrow at the IMA meeting we are discussing some proposals from the DNR one of which is promoting musky harvest of fish 30-40" and concentrating musky stocking on the biggest lakes. Going to be an interesting day tomorrow. Lake Michigan is a pipe dream.
horsehunter
Posted 2/21/2014 2:06 PM (#693065 - in reply to #692815)

Why would they be PROMOTING musky harvest of fish 30-40"?
Ronix
Posted 2/21/2014 2:48 PM (#693075 - in reply to #692912)

esoxaddict - 2/20/2014 8:34 PM

Slamr - 2/20/2014 6:58 PM

Wait... WHAT?!

Alewives are an invasive, aren't they? This is going back a long time, but if I remember correctly the reason the Coho and Chinook salmon were introduced to Lake Michigan in the first place was to control the alewife population, and because the native lake trout were all but fished out... Now they're reducing stocking in hopes the alewives will come back?

I don't get it...

Because stocking non-native salmonids turned into a billion dollar fishery dependent on non-native alewife....lose the alewife now and they lose $$$
Slamr
Posted 2/21/2014 2:51 PM (#693076 - in reply to #693075)

Because stocking non-native salmonids turned into a billion dollar fishery dependent on non-native alewife....lose the alewife now and they lose $$$
-----

*and fishing for, catching, and eating salmonids is pretty fun!
Mr Fisherman
Posted 2/21/2014 3:11 PM (#693083 - in reply to #692815)

Muskies have been present in Wolf lake in Hammond for 25+ years. The lake has an inflow from Lake Michigan that flows
under Indianapolis Blvd. I have seen trout and salmon caught there in the fall years ago ago don't know if it is a one way trip thru the channel.
adamminnick
Posted 2/23/2014 11:38 AM (#693436 - in reply to #693083)

Anglers are going to see a new apex-predator swimming in certain western and northern Michigan waters in future years. The DNR is continuing to expand its Great Lakes muskie program. I suspect an increasing number of anglers will be rising to the bait.

“Being able to raise Great Lakes muskies opened up the opportunity to stock drowned river mouths and lower river systems in western Michigan,” said Jay Wesley, the DNR’s southern Lake Michigan management supervisor. “We are going into a new era with these muskies.”

Not just "western" areas i.e. the Lower Grand (Grand Haven) and Macatawa (Holland) are within 90 miles or less of Chicago waters along the coast. With 10,000+ GLS fish being stocked in these waters and others slightly to the north in the next 5 years, as well as the previous 2yrs, I would bet a few more fish may wander down that way. Just a guess......Seeing how Green Bay fish have ventured across the lake into certain NW waters here in Michigan, it's very possible if not probable in the next 20 years....most will stay in shore and near shore, but fish do wander, and will move to find food. The Chicago River should be disconnected from the great lakes....Muskies were/are native to all of the Great Lakes. Salmon, the chicago river, asian carp, and others are not.
zofkbj
Posted 2/24/2014 12:44 PM (#693737 - in reply to #693057)

ToddM - 2/21/2014 1:21 PM

Tomorrow at the IMA meeting we are discussing some proposals from the DNR one of which is promoting musky harvest of fish 30-40" and concentrating musky stocking on the biggest lakes. Going to be an interesting day tomorrow. Lake Michigan is a pipe dream.

What were the results of these discussions?
esoxaddict
Posted 2/24/2014 3:32 PM (#693807 - in reply to #693007)

Slamr - 2/21/2014 9:03 AM

WHY should there be muskies in Lake Michigan? If you have access, but you're not fishing salmon and trout because they're not muskies...you should try catching a 20lb+ king on 20lb mono line while not stopping the boat and having 8 other lines out on a small boat...it's crazy fun!

Because they'd eat all the YOY salmon, and that would help the alewife population?

ToddM
Posted 2/24/2014 8:06 PM (#693894 - in reply to #693737)

zofkbj - 2/24/2014 12:44 PM

ToddM - 2/21/2014 1:21 PM

What were the results of these discussions?

at this point they were vague suggestions that were intended for specific possible situations. We discussed our opposition and it was noted by the head of fisheries who was in attendance. The dnr values the opinions of the IMA and Muskies Inc. My feeling is it will die here.

Edited by ToddM 2/24/2014 8:09 PM
Slobasaurus
Posted 2/25/2017 7:35 AM (#851028 - in reply to #693065)

I know this is an old thread, but I thought it'd be great to get the discussion going again. The IL DNR has been stocking pike into the Chicago River the last few years. The DNR does not have the funds to raise and stock pike with the state any longer. Now feels like the perfect time to put some sound pressure on the state DNR to stock muskies in the Chicago River. They'll tell you that there's poor water quality and that the Muskies will just move down the Chicago River to the Des Plaines and Illinois Rivers. But so what?! Maybe they won't. Maybe they'll stay within the Chicago River system foraging on that varied menu that awaits them. And, even if they did move down to the Des Plaines and Illinois Rivers, there is already a nascent population in both systems. The DNR has stocked the Illinois River with its surplus fry in years past. Why not try dedicating these surplus fish further up the river system to Chicago?! Muskies will be here in Chicago eventually. They are native. Nature (with the help of fisherman) will find a way.

Edited by Slobasaurus 2/25/2017 7:36 AM
AndrewR
Posted 2/25/2017 11:56 AM (#851055 - in reply to #851028)

Slobasaurus - 2/25/2017 7:35 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I thought it'd be great to get the discussion going again. The IL DNR has been stocking pike into the Chicago River the last few years. The DNR does not have the funds to raise and stock pike with the state any longer. Now feels like the perfect time to put some sound pressure on the state DNR to stock muskies in the Chicago River. They'll tell you that there's poor water quality and that the Muskies will just move down the Chicago River to the Des Plaines and Illinois Rivers. But so what?! Maybe they won't. Maybe they'll stay within the Chicago River system foraging on that varied menu that awaits them. And, even if they did move down to the Des Plaines and Illinois Rivers, there is already a nascent population in both systems. The DNR has stocked the Illinois River with its surplus fry in years past. Why not try dedicating these surplus fish further up the river system to Chicago?! Muskies will be here in Chicago eventually. They are native. Nature (with the help of fisherman) will find a way.

I'll be skeptical of downtown but won't surprise me if they live well. They would probably live well, since the fishes are thriving in less than idea waters and habitats. IL has no money though. Who knows where any of the N.E. IL urban fisheries will be going........ I once was skeptical of muskies living in Busse and then escaping, now taking up residence in Salt Creek along with a few lost fish in the Des Plaines. Now they're flourishing within that network of waterways, free of barriers and able to migrate anywhere. I'm not sure where funds came for those stocked fish in Busse, whether it was state of IL; forest preserve; private clubs.

I have been told by a few friends who fish downtown from shore that they've observed the occasional musky caught in the harbors mixed in with the big pike. They are legit sources but will never show the proof for fear of exploitation.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)