Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "How the hell could a fish that big miss a lure that small."
- (Added by: Beaver)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Now that the Milwaukee Show is over...

Message Subject: Now that the Milwaukee Show is over...
ShutUpNFish
Posted 2/17/2014 7:16 AM (#692009)
Subject: Now that the Milwaukee Show is over...

This was my entry for the contest...Due to popular demand, this Warmouth Sunfish is the pattern that I chose to enter....Probably my first and last entry. If you entered a bait in the contest, please feel free to post a pic....I'd love to see the work entered.

I haven't heard or seen any results yet...

Trophyseeker50
Posted 2/17/2014 7:40 AM (#692020 - in reply to #692009)
Subject: Re: Now that the Milwaukee Show is over...

Paul your work is unbelievable. As well as very humbling. You have an unbelievable talent.
muskyslayer96
Posted 2/17/2014 8:49 AM (#692033 - in reply to #692009)
Subject: RE: Now that the Milwaukee Show is over...

Paul
Absolutely stunning

MS
musky slut
Posted 2/17/2014 8:55 AM (#692035 - in reply to #692009)

Nice Paul !
byteme90k
Posted 2/17/2014 9:20 AM (#692039 - in reply to #692009)

Paul and Archie....great work!
pondigger
Posted 2/17/2014 12:11 PM (#692080 - in reply to #692039)

Pretty sure that's what I voted for.....did you win?....there were some neat paintjobs.......something fishy about this show in general....and the lack of internet coverage and speakers.....
ShutUpNFish
Posted 2/17/2014 12:38 PM (#692089 - in reply to #692009)

I had several questions about the rules and judging prior to the contest myself, but was never really contacted or given any clarity on some "grey" areas of the rules therefore reluctant to enter, but did anyway. The categories do not make much sense to lure design or lure making and the amateur/masters divisions have no clear justifications for who should be in what division...I was told that fins or gills added to a lure makes it "masters" yet I saw lures in the amateur division with fins or gills? There were also some contestants who have been at this longer than I (just a few years) and in the amateur, division? My overall feeling is and on behalf of most every bait maker I know....We take pride in our creations and ALL deserve a fair representation/event/contest to display or demonstrate our donations.

This was my first ever entry and I also saw that the voting was conducted out in the open and with the names of the lure makers and where they come from displayed. This, to me, makes little sense and becomes more of a popularity contest. I at least hope the lures donated raised some decent funds for the proper cause. I will not be entering this event in the future unless some changes are made. I did not receive as little as a simple thank you or appreciation for sending my bait in and now kinda regret the decision to be honest.

P. Fec

Edited by ShutUpNFish 2/17/2014 12:40 PM
CedarLakeMusky
Posted 2/17/2014 1:55 PM (#692113 - in reply to #692009)

I entered the contest last year for the first time. I have only been building baits for about 4 years. I entered my lure in the master division because I put gills and fins on the lure. I made a special trip to the show to check it out. When I looked at the lures and was getting ready to vote I was disappointed. I seen a lot of lures that had fins and gills in the amateur division. Plus other lures that had special features (printed images put on the side....etc). Believe I lost to one of those. Also a lot of entries with way more talent then me in the amateur division. Rules stated lures would be moved to appropriate division but they never were. Definitely needs some changes and rules need to be followed. How can a guy using an airbrush compete with a guy that uses a printed image? I decided to give the contest another chance and decided to enter the amateur division this year even though I put gills on my lure. I did this because of what I seen last year. Sounds like nothing has changed!! Here is a picture of this year's entry.
Scott
CedarLakeMusky
Posted 2/17/2014 2:02 PM (#692114 - in reply to #692009)

I entered the contest last year for the first time. I have only been building baits for about 4 years. I entered my lure in the master division because I put gills and fins on the lure. I made a special trip to the show to check it out. When I looked at the lures and was getting ready to vote I was disappointed. I seen a lot of lures that had fins and gills in the amateur division. Plus other lures that had special features (printed images put on the side....etc). Believe I lost to one of those. Also a lot of entries with way more talent then me in the amateur division. Rules stated lures would be moved to appropriate division but they never were. Definitely needs some changes and rules need to be followed. How can a guy using an airbrush compete with a guy that uses a printed image? I decided to give the contest another chance and decided to enter the amateur division this year even though I put gills on my lure. I did this because of what I seen last year. Sounds like nothing has changed!! Here is a link to pic of my lure. http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=92...
Scott
ShutUpNFish
Posted 2/17/2014 2:33 PM (#692119 - in reply to #692009)

I agree Scott. I DO believe the contest has good intensions really, but just needs some revisions and respect to the artists.

I don't do real image lures, however I am impressed by them for sure as well as foils. All of these methods are different and demand different techniques to accomplish or master...They should all be categorized separately in a competition. I say do away with the whole masters/amateur thing all together.

I posted your lure below....Its very nice and clean work!

Edited by ShutUpNFish 2/17/2014 2:34 PM
CedarLakeMusky
Posted 2/17/2014 2:55 PM (#692123 - in reply to #692009)

Paul, I agree with you 100%. I like the no name by lure idea too! Thanks for the compliment and posting my picture. Was trying to do this with a smartphone and it wasn't going smoothly. I see I double posted too.
CedarLakeMusky
Posted 2/17/2014 2:58 PM (#692124 - in reply to #692009)

Oh by the way Paul, that is one awesome sunfish. I hope one day I will be able to airbrush like that.
jakejusa
Posted 2/17/2014 3:37 PM (#692132 - in reply to #692009)

Contest win or lose, keep posting your work on here so we can see it. Awesome stuff. If that bait is the only thing you loose throughout life you will be doing great! Plus it did go for a good cause.
I once lost $300 to a pretty smile wearing a tight pair of jeans!! Ha Ha
esox911
Posted 2/17/2014 5:01 PM (#692149 - in reply to #692132)

I entered last year ( but chose not to this year ) Went up to see the Lures and it did seem there were some entries from guys who are very talented entered in the amateur division. I am an amateur having only been building baits for less than 2 years as a hobby---maybe making 20 or so lures a year. I have very basic tools and painting equipment. I did not enter thinking I would win anything and didn't---was nice to see my entry there and made me feel good. Glad to see them auction it off with the money going to a good cause. Some guys are very talented-- and probably why I didn't send an entry this year as I think I have improved about as much as I can with the tools and methods I use. Can't wait to see the PIcs of the lures entered this year--as I know there had to be some killer lures based on what I saw last year.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(photos 864.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments photos 864.jpg (18KB - 125 downloads)
psv
Posted 2/17/2014 5:27 PM (#692154 - in reply to #692009)

My original post is gone for some reason. Re-posting:

Below is my entry: Black Orange Tiger Grinder

anzomcik
Posted 2/17/2014 5:32 PM (#692159 - in reply to #692149)

From the face book page it looked to me that the amount of baits were down from last year.

Paul brought up some real good points. An observation I had was how the baits were laid out on display. It seemed they were arranged in the order they received them, (based off the card number in the Facebook photos) I entered one of my big soft plastic swim baits (Super Sloppy Senior). There was two other entries for soft plastic one in masters and one in amateur. I entered in masters, so I was going against one other entry. The two other soft plastic baits were next to each other, my bait was like 4 tables down. I would have thought you would group them by category for everyone to see all the baits they are judging in the same category all in one spot, not scattered.

While my observation might not mean jack in the whole thing, it did seem odd on how it was done. Having blade baits mixed in with crank baits and such. Or maybe the Facebook photo was taken after a rearrangement, once judging was done. I don't know I wasn't there and my observation is based off what I seen on the photos.

But in the end it was to raise money for kids so I try to not take it to seriously (but from what I have read it seems others are like myself with critiquing everything). But it would be cool to have a really well organized bait making contest, with a public vote, a panel of professional vote, and like a tank test on function each part contributing 1/3 to a total score. Scoring could be based on originality, workmanship, function, appeal... Many more things it can get real involved. but it would be fun.
chadw18
Posted 2/17/2014 7:27 PM (#692193 - in reply to #692009)

That sunfish war mouth paint job is incredible. I have always been obsessed with the peacock bass paint job but I think this one could be my new favorite! Awesome work everyone who put something up here.
bigbite
Posted 2/17/2014 9:55 PM (#692231 - in reply to #692154)

That is amazing Archie! I love your color schemes.
psv
Posted 2/18/2014 12:22 AM (#692247 - in reply to #692009)

Thanks Gerry. Try to do my best

MACONE
Posted 2/18/2014 3:29 AM (#692253 - in reply to #692009)

Paul, Your lure looked Amazing !! great paint job
ShutUpNFish
Posted 2/18/2014 8:05 AM (#692271 - in reply to #692009)

Thanks to all! I would still like to see more of the works of art from the show! Keep 'em coming guys.
bowhunter29
Posted 2/18/2014 9:17 AM (#692291 - in reply to #692009)

Paul, I held that bait in my hands many times during the show. The competition baits were right down the aisle from me. I had to walk over and look at your bait a bunch of times. Your workmanship and attention to detail are second to none. That was simply one of the best baits I've ever seen. You take great pictures but even they don't do justice to your work.

jeremy
bigbite
Posted 2/18/2014 11:19 AM (#692318 - in reply to #692291)

X2 on Paul's work Jeremy! The man is an absolute artist. I have a couple of his works and intend to get more. By the way, I enjoyed meeting you at the show. I love your work as well.
jbreivogel
Posted 2/18/2014 12:08 PM (#692331 - in reply to #692009)

Please find the results for the contest below and please let me know if you have any comments or questions. Thank you.

• 1st Place Amateur Soft Plastic, Eric Larsen - Richard
• 1st Place Amateur Topwater, Adam Marciniak – Marabou Muskrat
• 1st Place Amateur Glide/Jerkbait, Javier Rodriguez Rodrigo – The Killer
• 1st Place Amateur Blade Bait, Phil Urbanski – Dark Willow
• 1st Place Amateur Crankbait, Chad Harmon – Radioactive Perch

• 1st Place Masters Soft Plastic, Mark Palbici – Hellcat Shockbait
• 1st Place Masters Topwater, Charles Zielke – Better Wounded Minnow
• 1st Place Masters Glide/Jerbait, Scott Mcpherson – Double Vision
• 1st Place Masters Blade Bait, Ed Kott – MFL Swimblade
• 1st Place Masters Crankbait, Ed Kott – MFL Down Deep Walleye
• 1st Place Masters Repaint, Scott Mcpherson, Mr. Brookie

• Best of Show, Scott Mcpherson – Double Vision
ShutUpNFish
Posted 2/18/2014 3:53 PM (#692390 - in reply to #692009)

See above for questions and comments John...Thanks for posting the results.
5th lake Brad
Posted 2/18/2014 6:39 PM (#692428 - in reply to #692390)

What constitutes amateur/masters? I would not consider a bait maker who is selling his product at all the shows and in most musky tackle stores an amateur. Just wondering, and actually purchased a few of the baits made by this booth in Chicago.
jano
Posted 2/18/2014 8:11 PM (#692455 - in reply to #692089)

ShutUpNFish - 2/17/2014 12:38 PM

I had several questions about the rules and judging prior to the contest myself, but was never really contacted or given any clarity on some "grey" areas of the rules therefore reluctant to enter, but did anyway. The categories do not make much sense to lure design or lure making and the amateur/masters divisions have no clear justifications for who should be in what division...I was told that fins or gills added to a lure makes it "masters" yet I saw lures in the amateur division with fins or gills? There were also some contestants who have been at this longer than I (just a few years) and in the amateur, division? My overall feeling is and on behalf of most every bait maker I know....We take pride in our creations and ALL deserve a fair representation/event/contest to display or demonstrate our donations.

This was my first ever entry and I also saw that the voting was conducted out in the open and with the names of the lure makers and where they come from displayed. This, to me, makes little sense and becomes more of a popularity contest. I at least hope the lures donated raised some decent funds for the proper cause. I will not be entering this event in the future unless some changes are made. I did not receive as little as a simple thank you or appreciation for sending my bait in and now kinda regret the decision to be honest.

P. Fec

sure,guys are supposed to vote for lures not for the guys who made them
jano
Posted 2/18/2014 8:18 PM (#692456 - in reply to #692331)

jbreivogel - 2/18/2014 12:08 PM

Please find the results for the contest below and please let me know if you have any comments or questions. Thank you.

• 1st Place Amateur Soft Plastic, Eric Larsen - Richard
• 1st Place Amateur Topwater, Adam Marciniak – Marabou Muskrat
• 1st Place Amateur Glide/Jerkbait, Javier Rodriguez Rodrigo – The Killer
• 1st Place Amateur Blade Bait, Phil Urbanski – Dark Willow
• 1st Place Amateur Crankbait, Chad Harmon – Radioactive Perch

• 1st Place Masters Soft Plastic, Mark Palbici – Hellcat Shockbait
• 1st Place Masters Topwater, Charles Zielke – Better Wounded Minnow
• 1st Place Masters Glide/Jerbait, Scott Mcpherson – Double Vision
• 1st Place Masters Blade Bait, Ed Kott – MFL Swimblade
• 1st Place Masters Crankbait, Ed Kott – MFL Down Deep Walleye
• 1st Place Masters Repaint, Scott Mcpherson, Mr. Brookie

• Best of Show, Scott Mcpherson – Double Vision

PICS?
ShutUpNFish
Posted 2/18/2014 8:43 PM (#692464 - in reply to #692009)

Theres no need for a masters/ameteur div. its about the lures like someone said above and the methods of how they are created....IMO all beautiful works, but foils, real images, hand airbrushed, softbaits etc. should be set apart.

Edited by ShutUpNFish 2/18/2014 8:51 PM
jano
Posted 2/25/2014 7:01 PM (#694168 - in reply to #692009)

a example that would clearly tell the difference is a drifter lure vs john snow.would you like to see these lures in the same category?personally no,there is way too much difference
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)