Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskie versus spearing pike... your thoughts....

Frozen
Message Subject: Muskie versus spearing pike... your thoughts....
Nell
Posted 1/3/2014 12:21 AM (#682030 - in reply to #682024)
Subject: Re: Muskie versus spearing pike... your thoughts....

jonnysled - 1/3/2014 12:04 AM

so, that same group is now the authority on a group that has managed to survive for decades harvesting and managing the resource that most musky fishermen disrespect? for fear that they don't know how to tell the difference between a pike and a musky?? and which group should drive policy??

Neither group, checks and balances. I like muskie fishing more, but will not bash spearing.... tough spot. Why tough because yes I will get angry if muskie guys say no spearing. Spearing was here first for the most part. Muskie fisherman are tampering with old time ways.... fact! We stocked muskies in lakes and based on this most muskie lakes now have pike slot limits, albeit to protect the pike and add monsters. However, muskie fishing is taking off, brings money, brings people from out of state, catch and release so fish are there, and since the outdoors world is asking for it.... also has a place.

You can easily do both and spearing here isn't common enough to hurt pike populations where I live...plenty of fish! Plenty of lakes to make both parties happy. The problem is all or nothing thinking... I think we should have well populated muskie lakes and not push or take over all the lakes room for both. Also, I personally am not too worried here about spear guys spearing too many muskies.... I would say we should not spear muskies though. Heck northerns were the orinignal fish here so stick with them.... unless you start you have certain lakes and new interest specifically for spearing muskies.
Nell
Posted 1/3/2014 12:25 AM (#682032 - in reply to #682004)

0723 - 1/2/2014 11:19 PM

Pointerpride102 - 1/2/2014 11:10 PM

So your beef with spearing is what again?
There are no releases for mistakes made on size and species when you spear a fish.To easy to say I thought it was a pike than take a musky or walleye home.0723

0723 We do not have too much problem in Minnesota with people spearing the wrong fish, however we can't keep what we spear here we have to put it back, albeit dead if inside the slot limit or wrong fish..... Minnesota does this so people would "accidentally" spear a wrong fish.... I always wondered about throwing away good dead fish, but maybe it does prevent more people from illegal spearing...
sworrall
Posted 1/3/2014 12:32 AM (#682036 - in reply to #681704)

0723, you made your point as well as you are going to make it.

I'd stop at that.
Nell
Posted 1/3/2014 12:58 AM (#682041 - in reply to #681704)

I think Illinois is a different ball game. We have 4 Muskie lakes within an hour of us.... hundreds of none muskie lakes within 30 minutes and no muskie lakes I won't comment on that Illinois because totally different ball game... interesting info and points of view from a different state guys!
Ja Rule
Posted 1/3/2014 6:17 AM (#682046 - in reply to #681995)

0723 - 1/2/2014 11:05 PM

"
I know a few and it aint pretty.I told you that.I reeled in the big dog Mr Ja Obama hes the big dog here in the internet world.0723"

Ha, yup, you got me. Once again I'm not sure why we respond, this guy is doing a fine job of making himself look like an nice try on his own.

Edited by Ja Rule 1/3/2014 6:18 AM
jonnysled
Posted 1/3/2014 8:02 AM (#682062 - in reply to #681704)

you accurately represent the image many have of Musky Fishermen 0723 …
Posted 1/3/2014 8:12 AM (#682063 - in reply to #682062)

jonnysled - 1/3/2014 8:02 AM

If it means caring about a precious resource and not afraid to talk about it even if its not pc in this day and age ,than you are spot on.Musky fisherman care more about our limited resource than any other fishing group.0723

Edited by 0723 1/3/2014 8:15 AM
jonnysled
Posted 1/3/2014 9:00 AM (#682078 - in reply to #681704)

or you could spend time in the woods, on the water and ice with sportsmen to form your own opinion … i see where the "i hear" part of your argument comes from. you're a good disciple.

there, their, they're …
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/3/2014 9:07 AM (#682083 - in reply to #682063)

0723 - 1/3/2014 7:49 AM

Pointerpride102 - 1/3/2014 8:31 AM

0723 - 1/3/2014 7:12 AM

jonnysled - 1/3/2014 8:02 AM

If it means caring about a precious resource and not afraid to talk about it even if its not pc in this day and age ,than you are spot on.Musky fisherman care more about our limited resource than any other fishing group.0723

Do you have any facts to back up your claims or are you just going to be the anecdotal king on this topic?
Stat man college is over ,there arent any stats on caring its real,its in peoples heart, and on there face not on a spread sheet, book, or computer so you probably wont understand it.Go to a few muskie inc meetings you will see it in person.0723

Sorry, the world deals with facts. When you make claims that there are tons of people breaking the law, you need to back up that claim with facts. Otherwise you're just spouting off nonsense. You are most certainly entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts. And don't be surprised when your opinion is laughed at when facts do not support your opinion.

A couple of joes at a musky inc meeting doesn't make facts.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/3/2014 9:17 AM (#682086 - in reply to #681704)

Here's a little good news for you guys. I was told yesterday by a friend who said his brother-in-law saw a small muskie while spearing. He was going to spear it and shake it off under the ice, but then he thought about what his brother-in-law (my muskie fishing friend) would think and let it go! So keep raising the issue with all your spearing buddies! Sometimes it actually helps!

Edited by Kirby Budrow 1/3/2014 9:18 AM
Ja Rule
Posted 1/3/2014 9:27 AM (#682094 - in reply to #682086)

Kirby Budrow - 1/3/2014 9:17 AM

Here's a little good news for you guys. I was told yesterday by a friend who said his brother-in-law saw a small muskie while spearing. He was going to spear it and shake it off under the ice, but then he thought about what his brother-in-law (my muskie fishing friend) would think and let it go! So keep raising the issue with all your spearing buddies! Sometimes it actually helps!

Raising the issue or having an intelligent discussion is a great idea. Going about it the way 0723 has been is the worst possible option. I've seen it for many many years here in MI with our states Darkhouse Association, as have many of you with the tribal spearing. Crap like this from 0723 just makes it so much harder for the people out there actually trying to make a difference.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/3/2014 12:01 PM (#682139 - in reply to #681704)

Like I said before, I really don't know much about spearing as I have never done it. But presuming you can see and tell the difference between musky and pike, is it really that difficult to tell what size fish you are spearing? With the use of decoys, I'd think it would be simple. Let's say your decoy is 18" long, for example. If you aren't allowed to spear fish under 18" (not sure what the size restrictions are), it should be pretty simple to look down and see that the fish in the hole is smaller than your decoy. Like I said, I've never done it, so I really don't know.

Like others have said - harvest is harvest. A speared fish is no less dead than one that gets caught and thrown in the livewell, or thrown on the ice. As long as the size/slot/creel regulations reflect a sustainable amount of harvest, what's the difference? Is it any worse than the guys who gout fishing a limit out Saturday, fill the freezer, and then go out Sunday and do the same thing?

We harvest what we plan to eat that day, and maybe take one or two for the freezer. That's just what we feel is the right thing to do. I'm sure not going to tell anyone else they are wrong unless they are breaking the law. That I have a problem with. Undersized fish, over limit, out of season, whatever... No excuse for that. But as long as you are following the regulations, who cares? Fisheries are managed for harvest, and that includes muskies.
Nell
Posted 1/3/2014 12:58 PM (#682160 - in reply to #681704)

Actually it can be a bit difficult sometimes the fish fly in especially if not an experienced spear person. If you jig the decoy too much they can come in fast, hence you need a fast reaction no time to think. The good spears spin the decoy twice and let it sit.... for quite a while (say 15 minutes)... the fish will creep in... even that said not always... add muskies equals more patience.

Our deal is we are members of the spear house association and the vice president here is ticked and wants all muskies gone. That is way over board.... why bring it up to us, he knows we have a muske lure shop and love it. Politically we might have to drop making spear decoys....

Yep, I will still spear and in none muskie lakes... if it ruins sales oh well, but probably a bad idea to sell decoys.

I have to say my band wagon is with promoting muskies and stocking I do not agree that they are causing too much harm to spearers and muskies bring in money and heck a ton of fun!!!

Hate to do it but probably dropping spear house association. Haven't decided yet....of course being an advocate amongst them for muskies may be worth the hassel
bigdogg2278
Posted 1/3/2014 1:20 PM (#682167 - in reply to #681704)

Couldnt agree more Nell, i would love to see more muskie lakes stocked, one funny thing is more non spearers are against muskie stocking then anyone, look at some of these lake assoc memebers....ill stop there. I speared a muskie lake this year for the first time and it was a blast water was clear so its very very easy to tell the difference muskies almost look like ghosts coming into the hole where as the pike are much darker. I had 5+ skies come though the afternoon i went and every single one just passed though did a very quick look at the decoy and kept going where as the pike do the slow roll in to check it out. Many others i have talked with that have speared muskie lakes say the exact samething they react very different when coming in.
Nell
Posted 1/3/2014 2:09 PM (#682183 - in reply to #682167)

bigdogg2278 - 1/3/2014 1:20 PM

Couldnt agree more Nell, i would love to see more muskie lakes stocked, one funny thing is more non spearers are against muskie stocking then anyone, look at some of these lake assoc memebers....ill stop there. I speared a muskie lake this year for the first time and it was a blast water was clear so its very very easy to tell the difference muskies almost look like ghosts coming into the hole where as the pike are much darker. I had 5+ skies come though the afternoon i went and every single one just passed though did a very quick look at the decoy and kept going where as the pike do the slow roll in to check it out. Many others i have talked with that have speared muskie lakes say the exact samething they react very different when coming in.

Awesome info, good opinion to share when debating this one! Thanks!
ToddM
Posted 1/3/2014 3:21 PM (#682200 - in reply to #681704)

What I have learned through all of this is that spearing and rice have something in common.
Flambeauski
Posted 1/3/2014 4:11 PM (#682205 - in reply to #682200)

ToddM - 1/3/2014 3:21 PM

What I have learned through all of this is that spearing and rice have something in common.

Better with chicken?
Often thrown at weddings?
jonnysled
Posted 1/3/2014 4:14 PM (#682206 - in reply to #682205)

i'm not sure i like the idea of killing chickens
Posted 1/3/2014 5:10 PM (#682221 - in reply to #682206)

What ever became of the ceded territory spearing violations in 2011-2012? bill r
jonnysled
Posted 1/3/2014 5:13 PM (#682223 - in reply to #682221)

show you know something and start a new thread. this one is about dark-house pike spearing. the two are light-years apart.
Posted 1/3/2014 5:29 PM (#682231 - in reply to #682223)

jonnysled - 1/3/2014 5:13 PM

show you know something and start a new thread. this one is about dark-house pike spearing. the two are light-years apart.
I thought it was about chicken.0723
jonnysled
Posted 1/3/2014 5:30 PM (#682232 - in reply to #682231)

you might have a career in the basement … good form!
sworrall
Posted 1/3/2014 9:42 PM (#682290 - in reply to #681704)

I think he's great basement potential.
DLC
Posted 1/3/2014 10:26 PM (#682302 - in reply to #682290)

Well the 12 lakes that got opened were blessed by the DNR. I agree that the political arena is a bad spot for wildlife regulation. Some that are voting couldn't tell the difference between a walleye and a catfish. The problem lately is the DNR commissioner wants everything to go through the legislature. Also hating spearers is wrong. There are some very good sportsmen who spear. With that said the leadership of the MDAA is a problem. I can't understand why the guy who does this sport let the inmates control the asylum? I have heard with my own two ears the desire of the Leadership of the MDAA to spear muskies. "They do it in Michigan and they got the record ". This years agenda is opening border waters. My guess the rest of the closed lakes as well.
To the original question, it's ok to sell both muskie baits and spear decoys. Some guys do both. Spearing can be a great management tool if done correctly, removing some of the small pike population. And yes there is a majority doing just that. So yes someday I see a future with dogs getting along with cats.
Top H2O
Posted 1/3/2014 10:47 PM (#682305 - in reply to #682302)

This thread has convinced me to go spearing with a few of my N.Mn. Buddies,..... But they are all White.....I hope they can teach me the right way of Spearing.
Troyz.
Posted 1/4/2014 1:15 AM (#682319 - in reply to #682305)

Nell hit it on the head, the leadership of MDAA is the cause of bad blood, the stop the stocking of new muskie lakes, they force there agenda through politician and not the desire of Fisheries Management. The dont promote sustainable fisheries. I know many musky fisherman that spear, the big issue is caused by the figure heads that run MDAA and have not stepped into the 20th century, Spearing is fine, but dont blame the lack of trophy pike becuase u would accept slots, and other management practices to ensure a healthy pike fishery. Spearing does have a big impact of big pike, the data showed how many trophy pike are harvest by spearers, it far ootways the angler harvest, so we will see how Cass is when all the big pike are gone. Good managemen=Good Fisheries, a practice that the MDAA does not believe in.

Troyz
Nell
Posted 1/4/2014 10:22 AM (#682349 - in reply to #681704)

Like Troyz post!!! Me and my husband went over this post... he decided to step in politically, possibly. The vice president of the dark house association is a good friend of ours and he went off for a few minutes about getting muskies gone. What I learned from this thread is helpful. Main thing....sorry guys.... is people get heated... my husband is going to roll with the all or nothing thinking. The spear association up here is all or nothing.... from the head guys.

Argument I gathered from this and experience. Our spearing equipment $500 bucks good to go. Our muskie equipment..... ahhhh let's not go there... ha ha needless to say we will make way more business wise on muskie lures/rods for sale. You push the muskie guys by getting nasty and fire them up.... all or nothing money, backing, support... we are talking nasty battle and money talks. He plans to explain muskie guys A. Throw northern and muskie back typically.... and are not in enough lakes to majorly hurt spearing. B. We have caught more monster pike on slot limit lakes making the managed pike/muskie lakes a plus for the spearers going for trophies.... there is an advantage and typically muskie guys throw pike back. We threw SEVERAL seven pounders, two or three ten pounders and a monster 20 pounder back last couple years. Ohhhh eeee I would like to spear that 20 pounder myself and if I simply want fish for dinner plenty of lakes. Stomp on the muskie guys they have the money backing as lots of out of state guys come here to fish, sell more lures/supplies, and spend a lot of money in our state, money talks and if you work with them to support our outdoors community good things can happen. Will keep you guys posted... this is personally my stance. Decided to keep the decoys after alll as well.
Nell
Posted 1/4/2014 10:32 AM (#682350 - in reply to #682305)

Top H2O - 1/3/2014 10:47 PM

This thread has convinced me to go spearing with a few of my N.Mn. Buddies,..... But they are all White.....I hope they can teach me the right way of Spearing.

Hey now I am white and so is my Dad.... the spearing in winter isn't so much natives... it is for everyone. My Dad spears a 20 plus pounder every year he has a nifty clear none muskie lake. He let's the little guys go... it is a blast! He is good too, he taught me all the tricks, even swearing when you miss one lmao....

Where he is spearing now I seen a beauty 30 feet down and I don't think I will ever see a pike that big again... sorry spearing is sport our hearts where hammering she was PRETTY and she wasn't coming up.... smart lady pike! (this may fire people up) Also "supposedly" the MN DNR tagged a record northern pike in the lake he spears at (they caught it in the net and released her with a tag) My Dad claims a buddy got her to the boat on line and she got off right at the boat.... guess where he put his spear house? Yep where that guy hooked up with her. I see the spearing still as same challenge there. Be awesome if he spears her but you know those fish or mystical creatures are that never seem to get caught/speared they only toy with you.
Nell
Posted 1/4/2014 10:36 AM (#682351 - in reply to #682350)

Nell - 1/4/2014 10:32 AM

Top H2O - 1/3/2014 10:47 PM

Hey now I am white and so is my Dad.... the spearing in winter isn't so much natives... it is for everyone. My Dad spears a 20 plus pounder every year he has a nifty clear none muskie lake. He let's the little guys go... it is a blast! He is good too, he taught me all the tricks, even swearing when you miss one lmao....

Where he is spearing now I seen a beauty 30 feet down and I don't think I will ever see a pike that big again... sorry spearing is sport our hearts where hammering she was PRETTY and she wasn't coming up.... smart lady pike! (this may fire people up) Also "supposedly" the MN DNR tagged a record northern pike in the lake he spears at (they caught it in the net and released her with a tag) My Dad claims a buddy got her to the boat on line and she got off right at the boat.... guess where he put his spear house? Yep where that guy hooked up with her. I see the spearing still as same challenge there. Be awesome if he spears her but you know those fish or mystical creatures are that never seem to get caught/speared they only toy with you.

NEVER thought about this but this post here of mine proves something. My Dad taught me to spear but not to muskie fish. The up coming generation, like myself, or outdoor enthusiasts seem to me to be reeled in more on muskies... getyong more of today's youth out there. BTW I am teaching my Dad to muskie fish now a days. Slow going but he seen one huge monster last year... by all his sputtering I think he is sold!
DLC
Posted 1/4/2014 10:46 AM (#682355 - in reply to #681704)

That is the true reasoning behind what the MDAA is doing, they see muskie fishing growing and spearing dieing. So the big 3 of the MDAA do everything they can to hurt the sport of muskie fishing but in turn it also ruins spearing. Some day someone with some guts will take the MDAA in the right direction.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)