Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> chippewa flowage advice?

Message Subject: chippewa flowage advice?
MNMSKYHNTR
Posted 7/2/2013 4:07 PM (#649713)
Subject: chippewa flowage advice?

I am heading to the Chip this weekend for the first time with a group of four guys/ two boats that are also newbies to the water. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to start dissecting the water and speed up our learning process? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
muskiemanAD
Posted 7/2/2013 5:30 PM (#649730 - in reply to #649713)
Subject: Re: chippewa flowage advice?

We were up there last week and it was tough. We got a few sub 40 fish and a few follows of nicer fish. Every fish came on a showgirl with one follow being on a pace maker. The fish were holding tight to the weeds and the weed line there is about 7 foot or so. The windows were short and were not related to the moon or sunrise/set. Its a pretty lake but can be frustrating. Islands with weeds that related to deep water were the best bet. Check out Ty Sennett's website he usually has a updated report. Good luck!
2T Critter
Posted 7/2/2013 5:40 PM (#649731 - in reply to #649713)
Subject: RE: chippewa flowage advice?

I'd say weed edges as previously mentioned. Spots like Pete's Bar where there is access to deeper water.
muskyhunter63
Posted 7/2/2013 6:52 PM (#649744 - in reply to #649731)

Was on the Chip June 22nd to the 29th. The muskies we saw were all in shallow water.
On Tuesday the 25th, in one spot on the east side (north of Pork Barrel Island)we saw two fish were herding bluegills into the reeds and feeding on them. We threw double bladed Flowage Boa's at them. I was using grey body and double green blades. Had one strike and did not hook up. Buddy had on a black body and double green bladed Boa. He missed another fish on the figure 8.
Ran over to the area of Church Island. Fished the reeds to the west of the island. Had on a topwater (Rich's Twister) in green with black spots. Had a low 40's hit. Got him to the boat and lost it at the net. Lost the last fish at 2:29pm.
Buy a map for this place as it is huge. Stop in at Indian Trail Resort and get a map from John for $5.00. It shows a good place to start if you are on the south east side. Sharpen up the hooks (wish I would have touched mine up)
Ken
short STRIKE
Posted 7/3/2013 8:57 AM (#649848 - in reply to #649744)

Was up the 23-28 and struggled more than we have ever struggled on the Chip... We didn't see a fish for the first 3 days, fishing just after sun up, to sun down... finally went exploring and actually starting contacting fish in spots I have never fished before... Scott lake, and James Slough, with the latter showing us 3 fish in a 45 Minute window last wednesday around noon... Never put one in the net, but after a few days like that, just seeing fish felt like a victory... On a good note, tuesday was real hot in the afternoon, so we did the T-Shirt tour in 4 hours, that was a blast.
MNMSKYHNTR
Posted 7/3/2013 10:42 AM (#649870 - in reply to #649848)

Great! sounds like it has been tough all around. . . Hopefully we can find some fish.

Also, what is the T-Shirt Tour?
short STRIKE
Posted 7/3/2013 11:04 AM (#649872 - in reply to #649870)

it's essentially a "pub Crawl" sponsored by 6 bars on the lake... if you have a drink at all 6 bars over the course of the Day/Weekend/Year, you receive your "Free" T-shirt upon ordering your drink at the last bar. Bars can be hit up in any order, and you get a stamp card at the first bar to begin your tour. If you decide to do it, I recommend making Deerfoot one of the first stops... we did it second to last and ended up with a bunch of Flowage Boas and Ghost Tails that we didn't need, but at that point and time were extremely fun to buy.
MNMSKYHNTR
Posted 7/3/2013 11:15 AM (#649875 - in reply to #649872)

SOLD! Ha ha. I'm glad asked!
Esoxman22
Posted 7/3/2013 1:15 PM (#649896 - in reply to #649875)

if you have a iphone or andriod phone....www.Fishidy.com has a app that will give you all the info that are on fishing hot spots map, including contour lines. its a pretty neat app and works great for me and its free. check it out
Langkamp's Guide Svc
Posted 7/3/2013 3:16 PM (#649913 - in reply to #649713)

If the bite is tough I'd recommend taking your boat out for a day or 2 and trying Spider, Lost Land, Teal or Lower and Upper Twin on the Tiger Cat Flowage. They're all smaller lakes with good musky populations. Lost Land & Teal have a lot of 36-42 inch fish with a few bigger ones in the mix. Lower and Upper Twin used to be strictly numbers lakes but are getting better for size. Spider has a bunch of 28-36 inchers with a few dandy's in there. The big chip spits out some giant fish but can be very frustrating at times.
LarryO
Posted 7/4/2013 9:49 AM (#649988 - in reply to #649713)

I wish I could catch fish at Chippewa Flowage. I love the lake, the resorts, the town, all of the bars with the Muskie mounts and stuff, the tackle stores but I've taken two separate week long vacations there and have yet to get a single follow. I'm not the best Muskie fisherman but also not totally inept. Last year I caught 15 Muskies in 22 days on the water including a 0 fish for 7 days trip last September on Chippewa Flowage. I hired Ty Sennett to take us out on the first day of the trip and we had a great day with him but unfortunately it still didn't help us catch fish.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)