Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: My wife just bought me a New Boat and Motor for fathers Day, I think she's cheating on me.

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Preffered Wood For Musky Baits??

Message Subject: Preffered Wood For Musky Baits??
MRichardson
Posted 3/30/2015 8:19 AM (#762293 - in reply to #642901)
Subject: RE: Preffered Wood For Musky Baits??

What is better resin or plastic? What's the diff?

Edited by MRichardson 3/30/2015 8:21 AM
ShutUpNFish
Posted 3/30/2015 12:16 PM (#762371 - in reply to #642901)
Subject: Re: Preffered Wood For Musky Baits??

I don't know what is "better" Mike...I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in a bait and the process in which you produce them. According to feel, I think true injected plastic would be more indestructible...if you are trying to achieve less density and more buoyancy, I'd say resin....Overall though, the best material is the one which gets your bait to the point of satisfactory levels for yourself, your customers and above all, the fish.

Edited by ShutUpNFish 3/30/2015 12:18 PM
MRichardson
Posted 3/30/2015 1:16 PM (#762396 - in reply to #762371)

Paul, well that was actually kind of a rhetorical question meant to amuse you. I do though appreciate you consistently coming to the defense of plastic. It’s a hard battle to fight with so few of us making baits that way. There will always be some fanboy praising wood baits and giving accolades to the craftsmanship involved with following a line on a jigsaw, and when all else fails out comes the “magic” card lol.

For me the resin and plastic terms are synonymous. I guess I do know what the perceived difference is, the terminology just bugs me personally lol. So for the record: a “resin” (thermoset) bait is a two part plastic that is mixed together, poured into a mold, goes through an exothermic reaction, and then is set and cannot be melted again. Typically a urethane material is used. A plastic (thermoplastic) bait is made from little pellets that are melted through heat and injected into a mold. The lightest density I’ve molded solid “plastic” baits is equal to cedar. I can mold “resin” baits at a density of balsa.

I make wood baits too, but for me, “plastics make it possible” Some things you just can't do in wood

Edited by MRichardson 3/30/2015 1:30 PM
muskyrat
Posted 3/30/2015 5:05 PM (#762467 - in reply to #642901)

That sounds just like something I would do in my basement.
muskyrat
Posted 3/30/2015 5:16 PM (#762471 - in reply to #642901)

The problem is bad plastic lures have been released on the market and people have been burned. That's not to say your products are bad. That is the reason plastic gets a bad rap sometimes. To simply imply that anyone who fishes wood baits is a fool using inferior materials is a bit tiring to listen to.
Jeremy
Posted 3/30/2015 10:23 PM (#762546 - in reply to #642901)

My biggest complaint re those plastic baits is with the paint not holding up on them. I fished a particularly popular bait for just a few weeks last summer and took a handful of pike and a few muskies on her and you can't tell what the paint pattern was anymore.

Pity, that bait is a fav.!
lehighmuskies
Posted 3/31/2015 6:16 AM (#762566 - in reply to #642901)

I must say I moved over to resign with the help of Paul F an I couldn't be happier.Everybait runs exactly the same.The fish don't know a plastic bait from a wood one.I can still achieve all the same characteristics of a wood lure.Theres nothing more frustrating than knocking out 20 good blanks to only find 3 perform like you want an all the time an hard work lost along the way.Very frustrating.Resign speeds up the process an now I am able to keep up with demand.I see why big lure companies go to it everyones going that route phantom suicks.I haven't seen any drop off from fish reactions or catches going to it.To be honest with you have a family an young children if I wouldn't had an issue with wood down the road I would have went to it at some point to help spped the process up so I can still enjoy building yet having my family time.Like they say don't knock it till you try it you may surprise yourself.
mnmusky
Posted 3/31/2015 7:13 AM (#762579 - in reply to #642901)

wood,plastic, aluminum,lexan....this new toy i picked up should work em all. (once i learn how to use it that is).

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(20150329_151519.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20150329_151519.jpg (94KB - 322 downloads)
ShutUpNFish
Posted 3/31/2015 7:36 AM (#762587 - in reply to #762471)

muskyrat - 3/30/2015 5:16 PM

The problem is bad plastic lures have been released on the market and people have been burned. That's not to say your products are bad. That is the reason plastic gets a bad rap sometimes. To simply imply that anyone who fishes wood baits is a fool using inferior materials is a bit tiring to listen to.

Really? I totally believe you, however, I'd be willing to put money on the fact that exactly what you're talking about has happened more-so with wood over the course of baitmaking history and as of recent alike...so what is your point exactly? You keep making these false claims based on what? could it possibly be your 1 bad experience? Or your strict devotion to wood? LOL No pun intended seriously!

And for the record, I NEVER said wood was "no good" or especially that anyone is a fool for using it; you fabricated that insinuation up....I have actually continuously said that wood is just another good material to make baits out of, but you sir, obviously lack the capacity to listen, comprehend or learn. You have made claims that plastic is junky or somehow inferior to wood, which I continuously keep trying to explain why your are totally incorrect. Pretty simple...Everyone obviously has their own preferences and thats great, but if someone is going to refuse to use lures just because they are not made from wood, through shear ignorance and uninformed views, thats quite simply your sad loss because there are many great, proven and effective baits out on the market today which I could care less what the Hell they are made of...they possess just those attributes because they are that well designed by mindful craftsmen not because they are made of wood!

And YES, I design, create and manufacture my baits in my basement!

OK, done here...

Edited by ShutUpNFish 3/31/2015 7:43 AM
MRichardson
Posted 3/31/2015 8:31 AM (#762598 - in reply to #762579)

mnmusky - 3/31/2015 7:13 AM wood,plastic, aluminum,lexan....this new toy i picked up should work em all. (once i learn how to use it that is).

Sweet!  Trade you design time for machine time?   

mnmusky
Posted 3/31/2015 9:02 AM (#762607 - in reply to #762598)

MRichardson - 3/31/2015 8:31 AM

mnmusky - 3/31/2015 7:13 AM wood,plastic, aluminum,lexan....this new toy i picked up should work em all. (once i learn how to use it that is).

Sweet!  Trade you design time for machine time?   

Pm me your number Mike..we'll see what this thing can do.
4th axis will be installed by the summer.
woodieb8
Posted 3/31/2015 11:08 AM (#762641 - in reply to #642901)

I build wood and foam urethanes. cnc molds can give a creative edge at a cost. wood is more labour intensive. after 30 years building painting whatever gets bit is best..that day. as for above post paint fail on plastic. that manufacturer needs its painter to learn basics.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)