Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Line counter reels

Message Subject: Line counter reels
Pepper
Posted 11/7/2012 11:10 AM (#596521)
Subject: Line counter reels

I was using my Cabelas line counter reel while sucker fishing last month and hooked up on a big fish and the drag shelled out completely. Now I'm in the market for a new line counter reel. Any advise or suggestions?
BNelson
Posted 11/7/2012 11:24 AM (#596523 - in reply to #596521)
Subject: Re: Line counter reels

okuma convector, 20 size, put the power handle on it...also, take the stock nut that holds the handle on and go to the hardware store, get a 1/4" fine thread I think...put it on w some loctite...solid reels and handles !
jdeezay74
Posted 11/7/2012 12:55 PM (#596554 - in reply to #596521)
Subject: RE: Line counter reels

A shimano calcutta 3000 very nice. but its just a thought depends on other factors like price and and quality. good stuff though!!
Pepper
Posted 11/7/2012 1:23 PM (#596572 - in reply to #596521)

Brad, are your Okuma's"tested"? Have they held up over time and caught fish? That Cabelas reel was made by Okuma and it didn't hold up at all.
BNelson
Posted 11/7/2012 1:42 PM (#596583 - in reply to #596521)

yah, they are very well tested....I think 3 seasons so far...all of them have oh i'd say at least 30 fish per reel on them...up to ~45 lbs...so yah, they are tested...

$66 bux to your door on ebay...
huskymuskywv
Posted 11/7/2012 1:59 PM (#596588 - in reply to #596521)

shimano tekota 500lc
horsehunter
Posted 11/7/2012 2:05 PM (#596590 - in reply to #596521)

Lots of Convectors proven by the salmon guys. Tie a Chinook and a Muskie tail to tail and see what happens.
bstein
Posted 11/7/2012 2:08 PM (#596592 - in reply to #596521)

I also run the convector reels for trolling and sucker fishing and love them.
esoxone
Posted 11/7/2012 3:02 PM (#596604 - in reply to #596521)

Mark,

instead to buy a new reel,you could try using powerpro depth-hunter

esoxone

tuffy1
Posted 11/7/2012 3:04 PM (#596607 - in reply to #596604)

Another vote for the convectors. They have good strong loud clickers and will hold up for sure to muskies. I have a bunch that do double duty for 'skis and Lake Michigan, and have been going strong for years.
Johnnie
Posted 11/7/2012 7:16 PM (#596685 - in reply to #596607)

Don't use mine for sucker fishing but have caught many trolling on my shimano tekota 600lc's. Very smooth drags.
esoxlucifer
Posted 11/7/2012 7:58 PM (#596702 - in reply to #596685)

for trolling do you guys like the 20 size or do you go larger?
A_Stratus
Posted 11/7/2012 8:02 PM (#596704 - in reply to #596521)

I have the following line counters on my various trolling setups:

-Penn 209LC
-Penn 320 GT2LC
-Okuma Magda Pro's
-Okuma Convector

My personal favorite is the Penn 320 GT2LC. Great real, not one issue, no false reads on them to date, love the handle and has a loud clicker. I will probably be selling off all my other reels and will switch all of them over to the Penn 320 GT2LC for next year.

Just my two cents.

Reef Hawg
Posted 11/7/2012 8:04 PM (#596707 - in reply to #596521)

My 2 Daiwa LCW Sealine's are 16 years old, and have exhibited zero issues. I'd highly recomend them. I also have 4 Convectors that are 4-5 years old (2 20's and 2 30's), and right now I have at least one issue with each(drag on one, lever not working on one, line counter not working on two). In the grand scheme of things I don't really use my line counters enough that I'd expect to be seeing any issues. Okuma's service has proven outstanding and they stand behind their products so no complaints there and I will give them another shot after another repair. Based on the good experiences other very reputable anglers on this thread have had with them, I'm confident I'll have good service from my reels after repairs.
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/8/2012 8:50 AM (#596783 - in reply to #596590)

horsehunter - 11/7/2012 2:05 PM Lots of Convectors proven by the salmon guys. Tie a Chinook and a Muskie tail to tail and see what happens.

I'm not so sure you would be using the same drag setting for a salmon versus a muskie... just something to think about. They might work well for Salmon, but your also not pulling large heavy baits at 4 miles an hour. 

Probably a lot depends on your budget, and how much trolling you plan on doing.

I do a lot of muskie trolling and switched out my Sealines to 600 Tekotas a couple seasons ago and have never looked back. Speaking from experience, for sure the drags are noticeably better on the Tekotas, (the Sealines are still good) but reeling in heavy boards and lures is faster/easier with Tekotas... they also cost more.

With that said, after a few seasons the drags on some of my Tekotas are almost gone (actually that's a very good thing . They still work but without the fancy "click" drag setting and not much drag setting range left (the drags sweet spot is very narrow). 

I'll be replacing all of the Tekota drags this winter... no reel is going to last forever... but I put these Tekotas in the muddy trenches and they held up 100% except for the drag. Same with my older Sealines, no problem except with the drag.

I have a little experience with the convectors and honestly do not think they are even in the same league, but to each their own. Also, I have a friend who got a "great deal" on a couple of new Sealines 4-5 years ago... long story short we noticed a huge difference between these Sealines and my Sealines bringing in boards and large baits, when we took a closer look at them... only one ball bearing.  That made a huge difference because you could barely bring in board with them.

Again, it comes down to budget because like most things you will get what you pay for.

Pepper
Posted 11/8/2012 10:47 AM (#596811 - in reply to #596521)

Thanks for all the commenst and suggestions. Has anyone tried the Abu line counter reels or heard anything about them?
scmuskies
Posted 11/8/2012 11:00 AM (#596818 - in reply to #596783)

Jerry Newman - 11/8/2012 8:50 AM

horsehunter - 11/7/2012 2:05 PM Lots of Convectors proven by the salmon guys. Tie a Chinook and a Muskie tail to tail and see what happens.

I'm not so sure you would be using the same drag setting for a salmon versus a muskie... just something to think about. They might work well for Salmon, but your also not pulling large heavy baits at 4 miles an hour.

A mag dipsey w/ flasher has more pull than any muskie bait i've trolled (including 12" slammers and 14" talonz). Been using 2 convectors and 2 cabelas lc for double duty the past few years (including winter browns) with no issues from either setup. Are there better reels? Sure there are, but for the price they are hard to beat.

sc
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/8/2012 11:24 AM (#596823 - in reply to #596818)

scmuskies - 11/8/2012 11:00 AM
Jerry Newman - 11/8/2012 8:50 AM

A mag dipsey w/ flasher has more pull than any muskie bait i've trolled (including 12" slammers and 14" talonz). Been using 2 convectors and 2 cabelas lc for double duty the past few years (including winter browns) with no issues from either setup. Are there better reels? Sure there are, but for the price they are hard to beat. sc

Point taken, but at 4 MPH... and it also depends on the expected amount of hours that will be put on the reels. I've run a 13" grandmas with 100' of line behind a board in semi-rough water... about max even for a 600 Tekota at 3.5-4 MPH. If you're going to run boards on mono, you will need a wide spool either way.  

I'm not trying to challenge anyone here, just giving my honest opinion. The fact is that the Tekota costs twice as much, but I personally think they are at least twice as good. When I ran them side-by-side with Sealines, I gradually switched over 2 at a time because even though I obviously thought the reel was worth it, it left a pretty good dent in my pocket. The best price I found For these reels was on eBay BTW.

muskyhunter47
Posted 11/8/2012 12:04 PM (#596828 - in reply to #596588)

huskymuskywv - 11/7/2012 1:59 PM

shimano tekota 500lc
i have 2 of the 500 and 2 of the 600 both a good choice. Shimano is the way to go
CU301DSV
Posted 11/8/2012 1:08 PM (#596839 - in reply to #596521)

Lefty's again have only a few options for a line counter. I have both the Magda Pro and Convectors from Okuma. No complaints with either of them. The Magda Pro is a 20DLX and being cheap it has done the trick, it's now my back up reel as I have upgraded to using two Convector 30DLX's. The Convectors not only look more durable but have a better feel to them too. Pretty sure that there is another step up from the Convectors that's called the Catalina's.
Targa01
Posted 11/8/2012 2:59 PM (#596857 - in reply to #596521)

As in most cases with Muskie equipment it's not the fight of the fish but the circumstances and environment they are put in. For example freezing rain in late fall will test a reel and find a weakness. Getting lures stuck in rocks pulls harder than anything mentioned and happens while trolling. Just a few things we put stuff thru. Always nice to hear opinions on equipment.
Jumbo Jim
Posted 11/8/2012 8:50 PM (#596945 - in reply to #596521)

I like the Convectors too, no real probs in 4 years.
Capt bigfish
Posted 11/8/2012 9:46 PM (#596960 - in reply to #596945)

I reel lefty as well but I don't think it matters to much for a trolling reel if it's left or right hand retrieve. Casting is so repetitive it makes sense to use the side that is the most comfortable. But left handed retrieve for trolling reels? Lots of functions are higher on the list like smooth drags, loud clickers, large handles and line release levers for working the reel in the dark and with gloves on. I have never thought about which hand to reel with while I had a fish on. Now if I was a lottery winner, it would be a completely different story...
Posted 11/9/2012 4:32 AM (#596973 - in reply to #596590)

horsehunter - 11/7/2012 2:05 PM

Lots of Convectors proven by the salmon guys. Tie a Chinook and a Muskie tail to tail and see what happens.
I'm guessing the Esox won't be interested in a "pull-off"....lol
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/9/2012 7:49 AM (#596988 - in reply to #596960)

Capt bigfish - 11/8/2012 9:46 PM 

Lots of functions are higher on the list like smooth drags, loud clickers, large handles and line release levers for working the reel in the dark and with gloves on.

Excellent point, I don't really like the plastic handle on the Sealine, and I like to leave the  clickers on all the time when bringing in baits. The Sealine clickers are incredibly loud and leaving them on just wasn't an option for me. There are several layers to this, and maybe it sounds kind of petty... but 90% of the time I preferred the quieter Tekota clicker (along with the better drag and more power/speed bringing in boards).

However, when I'm all bundled up and/or its really rough I've been running 2 Sealines for my down rods because when the Tekotas are at 90° to the boat (rod tip in the water reel facing away from the boat about even with the gunnel), it's hard to hear those rods go off. 

Loud clickers absolutely work better under those conditions so I'm going to have two of my Sealines fitted with better handles and drags. My recommendation would be that if you do a lot of late-season trolling when you're bundled up (or hard of hearing)... I would give the nod to the Sealine.

Again, I only have a little experience with the $75 Okuma... but checked out the specifications on the more expensive Okuma Catalina and that sure sounds like one hell of a reel... probably more reel than needed for sucker fishing if that's all you are going to use it for. But then again, I bet you thought the Cabela's reel would have been at least adequate.

BNelson
Posted 11/9/2012 8:32 AM (#596991 - in reply to #596521)

I've bent the Sealine handles on the hookset/and fight w a big ski sucker fishing...the Okuma power handles are much stronger imo, and won't bend .....the clickers are very loud..... I sold all my Sealines and went to the Convectors as they imo have way better handles... no fun bending the handles on a big fish hookset.
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/9/2012 12:07 PM (#597023 - in reply to #596991)

BNelson - 11/9/2012 8:32 AM I've bent the Sealine handles on the hookset/and fight w a big ski sucker fishing...the Okuma power handles are much stronger imo, and won't bend .....the clickers are very loud..... I sold all my Sealines and went to the Convectors as they imo have way better handles... no fun bending the handles on a big fish hookset.

Brad, now you got me thinking about adding 2 of those Catalina's with loud clickers for my down rods and just hanging onto my Sealines for back-ups instead of reworking them.  I bet just changing out the handles and drags alone on the Sealines would get kind of pricy… Thanks for the post, I'll have to give that some thought.

BTW, I think it's important for those considering a new reel to understand that some of the comments/recommendations on here are based on experience only with sucker fishing, some are based only on HD muskie trolling, and some are in between.

There's little question that price and quality run parallel and you get what you pay for. The Cabela’s LC would not stand up to the type of punishment I dish out trolling, and the Tekota is probably total over kill for the once a year sucker fishing trip.  

Bytor
Posted 11/9/2012 1:04 PM (#597031 - in reply to #597023)

Jerry I use the Convectors for trolling and suckers and they work great for both applications. Great quality with a low pricepoint.

Two years ago when sucker fishing in below freezing conditions all of the Daiwa reels froze up and we couldn't reel them in. We had to keep hitting them with a propane heater. No such issues with the Convectors on the same day.
Bytor
Posted 11/9/2012 1:09 PM (#597032 - in reply to #596702)

esoxlucifer - 11/7/2012 7:58 PM

for trolling do you guys like the 20 size or do you go larger?

I run the 30's and use them for both trolling and suckers.
Mojo1269
Posted 11/9/2012 2:26 PM (#597046 - in reply to #597032)

Likes others in this thread i am a Tekota guy. If I can get the "best In Class" reel for under $200.00 (More like $165.00 if I watch sales) why wouldn't I. The Tekota is the Honey Badger of Line Counter Reeels.... Is it more than the others yup, is it worth it.. IMHO yup.... Hell; many of us think nothing of spending $300-$500 on a casting reel and similar amounts on rods. Spend 45 minutes reeling in a 60 inch Stugeon (which I have done with mine) and the Tekota Dont care.. Forget about 14 inch Jakes, Headlocks or other large Fall Musky Baits that's nothing...the Tekota don't care... I pull out my 21 inch Custom X Monster Crank bait and the Tekota don't care...it can take all the abuse I give it (which is plenty) no problem. They are build like a Checker Cab and can take just as about as much abuse.... Its an easy decision to me considered the small prices increase over its peers in grand scheme of all the money I bleed musky fishing....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)