Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Marco Island, FL

Message Subject: Marco Island, FL
oconesox
Posted 4/5/2012 9:27 AM (#550969)
Subject: Marco Island, FL

My wife and I are planning a visit to Marco Island from June 10-15. We are staying in the Angler's Cove condos, which are right on the water.

Just wondering if anyone can give me any good advice when it comes to fishing opportunities. I don't think I'll do a charter, due to cost and time. Looking mostly for shore fishing or possibly kayak, as I've seen rentals.

Also looking for advice on how to get the proper tackle down there. We're flying with Delta out of Detroit. I have a number of Plano rod tubes that are airline approved, but I was wondering what you might be able to carry on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks- Andy
Hammskie
Posted 4/5/2012 10:39 AM (#550993 - in reply to #550969)
Subject: Re: Marco Island, FL

Ben Olsen has a place on Marco and fishes there. [email protected]
LS
Posted 4/5/2012 11:08 AM (#551000 - in reply to #550969)
Subject: RE: Marco Island, FL

Don't pack lures and release tools in your carry-on. No pointy objects

You will pay an arm and a leg to fly with those rod tubes. I think I was flying AA in 2010 and the night before I checked the restrictions and found it was about $300 one-way to fly with rods/rod tubes over 72". Good thing there were rods already at my destination so I left my gear at home. You might be better off shipping them to wherever your destination is. I have a friend that does this and then just ships them back when he leaves wherever he's traveled to.
LS
Posted 4/5/2012 11:14 AM (#551002 - in reply to #550969)

Follow-up straight from the Delta website (it was Delta I was flying not AA):

Fishing Equipment

Fishing poles up to 115 linear inches (292 cm) are accepted as checked baggage as long as they are contained safely. Oversized baggage fees will apply for items over 62 linear inches (158 cm). All standard baggage charges apply.
http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/special_baggage/spor...

One-way Fees for Oversized Baggage
The following charges apply if your checked bag exceeds our size limitations:
United States Fees(Each Way)
Travel within/between United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands 175 USD/CAD* for bags measuring 63–80 inches (161-203 cm) in combined length, width, and height. Some Specialty Items may be exempt from this fee.

300 USD/CAD* for bags measuring 81-115 inches (204-292 cm) in combined length, width, and height. Some Specialty Items may be exempt from this fee.

Bags larger than 115 inches (292 cm) are not allowed.
http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/excess_baggage/index...

BuckeyeAl
Posted 4/5/2012 2:42 PM (#551066 - in reply to #550969)

I spent a little time there around 10 years ago. I'd stay in the canals and the back side of the island in a yak. The water really moves down there. If memory serves me correctly, there's about a 6 foot tide change. There might be tarpon cruising the channels by then, maybe a week or two later. The nice thing about their canals is they dug them pretty deep, even 20 feet in places. If your out behind the island try to find the oyster mounds, a lot of different fish hang around them.

Good luck!

Al
Posted 4/5/2012 3:22 PM (#551073 - in reply to #550969)

Great time to fish down in the Marco Island area this time of year. With the warm late winter/early spring they've had the tarpon should still be in the shallows. Pompano and sheepshead should still be available in the backwaters and canals. Try using 1/8 oz jigs tipped with shrimp. Good luck!
oconesox
Posted 4/6/2012 9:09 AM (#551227 - in reply to #551073)

Thanks for all of your help guys. Sounds like getting my stuff down there, without breaking the bank, will be the toughest part.
Jason Hillman
Posted 4/6/2012 1:08 PM (#551311 - in reply to #550969)

If you plan to travel and fish a decent amount (more than once based upon cost), I would suggest investing in a travel rod. Especially if it's just for inshore type saltwater or regular freshwater fishing. They usually are 3 or 4 piece rods and you can just carry them on along with any carry on luggage and easily fit into overhead storage. I have taken mine to everywhere from Alaska, Costa Rica, New Orleans and Florida and never had a problem.

You can then carry on your reel and line as well. I found if staying in United States, I would just UPS a small box with a few choice lures, knife, and pliers to my destination and then just pay/print a return from UPS and drop off at any location before my departure to send home. Or, even go as far as just go to a local tackle shop in the area, ask them whats working and just buy a few lures where you go and then at the end of your trip give them to someone else you see fishing.

I have both spinning and casting travel rods... spinning is the LL Bean model $75-$100, and I have a Wright & Mcgill and St. Croix casting rod. I think both under $150. Might be worth the investment if you think you might travel and fish more frequently. I've caught sea trout, jack crevalle, red drum, black drum, flounder, rooster fish, salmon, northern pike, bass, etc... on them up to about 45 pounds.
oconesox
Posted 4/6/2012 2:55 PM (#551327 - in reply to #551311)

Thanks Jason,

I was thinking of doing that. Can anyone suggest St. Croix model that would give me the most flexibility. Since it's one of the first times I've fished saltwater, I'm more interested in quantity than quality of fish. Thanks-Andy
BuckeyeAl
Posted 4/6/2012 7:28 PM (#551352 - in reply to #551327)

Here's some not too expensive travel rods from St. Croix.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/triumph

They also have a few more in their premium rods that cost 180.00 ea.

Edited by BuckeyeAl 4/6/2012 7:29 PM
Landry
Posted 4/6/2012 9:18 PM (#551374 - in reply to #551352)

The snook will be cruising the beaches every morning and night, right up along shore eating bait. Flyfishing with small streamers or small rapalas will do the trick. Been to Marco many times - fishing is great there. Send me a PM if you want more info on spots. I fished near Tigertail Beach. Jack Crevalle, seatrout too:)
Landry
tomcat
Posted 4/9/2012 8:43 AM (#551824 - in reply to #550969)

i am on Marco Island right now. when the tide comes in the the morning, snook, drum, sheep head can be found very close to the beach. you can spot them with your toes in the water.
small spoons and 1/2 oz jigs seem to be catching the snook. the are pilchers (bait fish) that the snook are following close to the beach. i would assume live bait would work really well. I would try a walk the dog topwater.
if you can find a place to fish near the "ten thousand islands" area, i think reds would be availabe too.
LS
Posted 4/9/2012 9:07 AM (#551829 - in reply to #550969)

As an alternative to the St. Croix travel rods, Cabela's Salt Striker Travel Rods are great. I have a casting and spinning rod. Great sticks for the money. I've used them for barracuda and jacks in the Caribbean and bass, walleye, and muskie in the Midwest and Ontario. Search "Salt Striker Travel Rod" on Cabelas' website.
Jason Hillman
Posted 4/9/2012 11:42 AM (#551867 - in reply to #550969)

Andy,

Are you looking for spinning or casting rod? For either option, I would look for a rod that is at least 7ft and medium or medium heavy. That should give you enough backbone to fight a heavy fish but a soft enough tip to throw 1/8 ounce jigs and plastics for snook, sea trout, and maybe even flounder if they are still there.

I have heard good things about the cabelas salt strikers, but never checked them out as I don't have a cabelas within 2 hours of me. I went to the LL bean spinning as a recommendation along with lifetime warranty. I went with the medium action as it seems to have a much stiffer backbone than most standard medium action rods I have used. The MH seemed more like a standard Heavy action rod and too stiff for smaller baits.

On my baitcasters I have one MH and one Heavy. The st. Croix I have is the Tidemaster travel rod. i think it's 7'6", i found mine on a sale a few years ago for $125, but I think regular they are about $200 or so.

And get ready, because saltwater fish fight harder and longer than freshwater fish... hang on!
SpencerBerman
Posted 4/16/2012 11:39 PM (#553691 - in reply to #550969)

Honestly just give Ben Olsen a call and hire him for a day. Its totally worth it! Salt water fishing so so crazy and there are only so many chances for midwest guys like us to get out for salt water fishing. Also after you go out for a day I am sure Ben will hugely increase your learning curve for the rest of your trip.
ToothyCritter
Posted 4/23/2012 11:03 AM (#555103 - in reply to #550969)

The bridge off of 951 that goes into Marco from Naples is a great spot to fish from shore. I fished it last year and got a slew of Spanish mackerel just casting a white jig and ripping it in. I did go through a slew of Jigs since I didn't have a leader, so keep that in mind. Your also close to Naples and the main pier is worth a visit, it's just amazing to see everyone fishing off of it and all the different types of fish they get. The beach has some nice things to see as well:)
ToothyCritter
Posted 4/23/2012 12:44 PM (#555129 - in reply to #550969)

Another place is Hammock Bay golf course just on your left before this bridge on 951, this bridge is the only way into Marco from Naples. If you ask the Greenskeeper if you can fish the main pond catch & release he will let you. At leaset he did when I asked, there are HUGE Peacock bass and Largemouth. I got a 8.5 LM and a slew of 5 - 6 pounders on a spinnerbait. The Peacock fight like crazy but I never got anyting over 4lbs on those. In 3 hours, I bet my son & I got 15 fish each.

Sorry, all my pics of the bridge & fish are too big to post. 200KB max..

Edited by ToothyCritter 4/23/2012 12:53 PM
Posted 5/3/2012 1:47 PM (#557669 - in reply to #550969)

Head South twards 10,000 Islands past Calusa Key (spelling?). Play the tides outgoing and incoming. I have had great success on Gulp that look like shrimp. They last ten times as long. Try to find a cheap boat to rent it would be the easiest way to do it.
k-bob
Posted 5/3/2012 3:27 PM (#557697 - in reply to #557669)

I've fished a lot just south of tampa from sea walls. My best artificial lure is a Tubimaru Jr made by Yo-Zuri. It is a 3-4" crank that goes down about 3-5 ft. I have one that has caught over 100 fish, mostly sea trout, but also redfish, snook, and mackeral. I prefer the black and silver prism.
Don't forget to wash your reels with fresh water after you use them. Might be smart to just get a $30 combo at walmart or somewhere.
Krishna
maythompson
Posted 5/5/2012 1:25 AM (#557989 - in reply to #550969)

Well, I noticed that air travel industry were not doing unbelievably well these days and it gets harder for them all the time. That is the reason that baggage and other airline fees are unlikely to stop any time soon.. Unfortunately for anyone who travels by air these days, most airlines charge a fee to check bags. In some cases, passengers get charged to stow bags in the overhead compartment. For instance, according to Fox Business, Allegiant Airlines charges $35 to stow a carry-on bag in the overhead compartment. Spirit Airlines charges $45. Spirit has also, according to the Washington Post, instituted a new fee for not paying for an overhead bin bag ahead of boarding. If Spirit Airline passengers pay for using an overhead bin at an airport kiosk or at the ticket counter, the fee stays at $45. However, if they neglect to do so until they are at the boarding gate, the fee rises to $100. However, some airlines refuse to engage in it. Southwest Airlines, according to the Seattle Times, is the only carrier that refuses to charge baggage fees or rebooking fees. From my resource, the reason for airline fees is that air travel is not a very profitable business. Fuel costs and continually fluctuating levels of travel make it difficult to consistently make enough to cover the bottom line. Well, you can gain more information at: Baggage fees likely only to get worse.
BuckeyeAl
Posted 5/5/2012 7:48 AM (#557997 - in reply to #557989)

Easy solution. Drive.
detroithardcore
Posted 5/5/2012 2:54 PM (#558049 - in reply to #550969)

I booked my December casting for Tarpon trip with SFP Outfitters, Captain Jon Sebold. I've heard good things about his guiding service and saw him on Greg Thomas's video. He's a MN native and has Muskie in his blood. He's been very successful chasing backwater Tarpon with Muskie gear. It should be one amazing experience!
Ben Olsen
Posted 5/6/2012 2:56 PM (#558168 - in reply to #550969)

Detroit...Capt. Sebold is ultra dialed on that late fall Tarpon Plugging! You will have an amazing trip! I was so impressed I bought a house on Marco! It is, without question, the coolest fishing I've ever done. I filmed an entire sequence, cast/hookset/land/release, on a gopro hat cam yesterday. I'll try to get it posted but I'm a little technology challenged!
detroithardcore
Posted 5/6/2012 5:13 PM (#558196 - in reply to #550969)

Ben,

How's December timeframe for Tarpon down there? I'm fitting a "fishing trip" in a "family vacation" so I only have 1 day but tide should be good with New Moon. All depends on the local weather?? We'll soon see!

That's awesome you bought a home down on Marco Island area. It has so many species of fish to chase everyday of the seasons. Pretty awesome!!
detroithardcore
Posted 5/6/2012 6:48 PM (#558213 - in reply to #550969)

Oh yeah... Post that video!!!! I'm sure it's amazing!!
Ben Olsen
Posted 5/6/2012 7:54 PM (#558230 - in reply to #550969)

Here's the vid( I Know sworall...sign up and upload it here) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHgMu1iz-UE

It really is Musky fishing for Tarpon! I'm throwing a 7'6" MI Bulldawg rod Medium with a 300 Curado. If you don't pay attention to the trees it could be a quiet weedy bay on any lake! Do you think he wanted that plug!? If you're going to throw trebles for Tarpon make sure to pinch barbs!(my hand got pretty close)
detroithardcore
Posted 5/6/2012 8:20 PM (#558240 - in reply to #550969)

Yup... That is badass!! Way to go Ben! How big would you guess? What a great video! Totally addicting way to fish for them!! Good Job!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)