Please register or Login
MuskieFIRST | WalleyeFIRST | SalmonFIRST | IceFishing | WhitetailFIRST | BassFIRST | OutdoorsFIRST Upload
Spring Bay Resort Lake Vermilli0n, MN

Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Tackle and Equipment -> Fenwick Elite Tech Rods

Message Subject: Fenwick Elite Tech Rods
KevinG
Posted 8/22/2010 12:57 PM (#456249)
Subject: Fenwick Elite Tech Rods

I recently purchased a Fenwick Elite Tech Rod and have been noticing the line frays prematurely up near the casting point using 80lb powerpro. Nice rod feels great in your hands, light, nice cork/rubber grip and great action. I looked closely at the tip with a magnifying glass to see if I could see and manufacting defects which could be causing this, but tip looks good. Anyone else have trouble with these rods?
muskie-addict
Posted 8/22/2010 1:01 PM (#456250 - in reply to #456249)
Subject: RE: Fenwick Elite Tech Rods

Forgive me....what's a "casting point." The tip?

-Eric
KevinG
Posted 8/22/2010 1:55 PM (#456256 - in reply to #456249)

Seems to be starting about 6-12" back from the leader for about 12"-24" of line.
Silver scale
Posted 8/22/2010 2:05 PM (#456257 - in reply to #456249)

I have been using one for the past month and have had no problems. Check your eyes back from the tip maybe you have a nick in one.
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/22/2010 3:30 PM (#456261 - in reply to #456249)
Subject: Re: Fenwick Elite Tech Rods

Have you tried to contact the company??
KevinG
Posted 8/22/2010 3:52 PM (#456265 - in reply to #456249)

I am still within my 30 days from the retailer, when I get back up north I'll have them help me out.
bowhunter29
Posted 8/22/2010 8:12 PM (#456292 - in reply to #456249)

Sounds like either the tip top or 1st guide back has a crack in it. You may or may not be able to see it. Take a brand new razor blade and slowly slide it around the inside of the rings. If there is a crack, it should catch.

jeremy
lookin4_big_gurls
Posted 8/22/2010 9:32 PM (#456304 - in reply to #456292)

its the power pro...scrap it!! Cortland or tuff-line...Ive noticed that pp frays prematurely
jakejusa
Posted 8/23/2010 11:02 AM (#456352 - in reply to #456249)

I would offer up two ideas, one: use a Q tip go over the guides, and the rod blank near the top to see if any of the cotton gets snagged. Two also check your bait boatside: are your hools making it to the line while you are applying the action?
KevinG
Posted 8/23/2010 10:29 PM (#456465 - in reply to #456249)

I ruled out the line cause I've been using it for years now, though the Elite was an upgrade from cheaper rods with ceramic type guides. Did notice the Elite uses what appears to be a finished metal rod tip.
muskie-addict
Posted 8/25/2010 8:30 AM (#456639 - in reply to #456292)

bowhunter29 - 8/22/2010 8:12 PM

Sounds like either the tip top or 1st guide back has a crack in it. You may or may not be able to see it. Take a brand new razor blade and slowly slide it around the inside of the rings. If there is a crack, it should catch.

jeremy

I understand what you're getting at with this, but I'd be SUPER careful playing around with a sharp object inside something that must be 100% smooth.

I had a bad fray in one of my reels this year, and I own a Tech Elite. I swapped some reels around, so I can't remember what reel I had the fray on...and what rod I was using at the time. Guess I'll get the Q-tips out.
Flambeauski
Posted 8/25/2010 8:41 AM (#456642 - in reply to #456249)

Jeremy is right. If a razor puts a nick in the guide the guide is absolutely worthless. You should be able to take a filet knife to the inside of your guides and saw back and forth, because that's exactly what power pro is doing, especially if there's ice on the line or sea fleas or algae. Running a blade around the inside of guides is actually a better way of testing for nicks and can remove extra flex coat that may have gotten on there when the rod was being finished.
H2O Mellon
Posted 8/29/2010 7:55 AM (#457203 - in reply to #456249)

Thanks for this post, as I am just getting into Muskie fishing but have been a fan of Fenwick rods for fishing the Ohio River and Great Miami River for Flatheads and Blues. I've been looking at a couple Elite Techs for a few weeks.
bowhunter29
Posted 8/29/2010 9:26 AM (#457209 - in reply to #456639)

muskie-addict - 8/25/2010 9:30 AM

bowhunter29 - 8/22/2010 8:12 PM

jeremy

I understand what you're getting at with this, but I'd be SUPER careful playing around with a sharp object inside something that must be 100% smooth.

I had a bad fray in one of my reels this year, and I own a Tech Elite. I swapped some reels around, so I can't remember what reel I had the fray on...and what rod I was using at the time. Guess I'll get the Q-tips out.

If gently sliding a razor blade around the inside of the guide ring damages it, then that guide shouldn't be on a rod. You can dull a good metal file on a Fuji SIC ring. There's no way you're going to damage a guide by checking it with a razor blade.

jeremy
addict
Posted 8/29/2010 3:00 PM (#457233 - in reply to #456249)

See, ya learn something every day.

When I posted my response, I guess i was in the old ceramic insert mindset. Which are becoming a thing of yesteryear. Still though, while I respect the endorsements on the razor blade thing, I think I'll stick to Q-tips and visual inspections.
DR in VA
Posted 8/29/2010 3:49 PM (#457237 - in reply to #456249)

Kevin,

Today's ceramics as ring material are wonderful and used on 90% of rods built today. All the names you hear like Alconite, Hardloy and such are all ceramic rings and are perfectly FINE with braided lines.

Now, your upgrade sounds like you went to steel rings? If you did, they will wear ANY brand of Superline you use. Ceramic IS the way to go with braided lines. SIC, Zirconium, Alconite, Nanolite, Hardloy, Aluminum Oxide are all very good guide rings with braided lines, some are slicker and better than others. Mostly due to be polished more. Here is a hardness scale you can look at and it will give you some kind of idea about rings and ring material:

http://www.batsonenterprises.com/guides-materials

The old ceramic's where guide wear and such were prominent are a thing of the past, today's ceramic's are great guide ring materials and do a wonderful job. You should NOT be able to harm a guide ring with a razor blade, knife, or even a metal file. They are TOUGH.

Now the metal rings that are coming out and seem to be gaining some popularity are a step BACKWARD in guide ring material. These metal style rings are only gaining popularity because of their LIGHT weight. They do NOT do well with braided lines. Braid will wear groves in some of them, and the guide rings will wear out braided lines in other brands.

If you have the steel rings, do NOT run a razor or knife in them! You may very well nick the guide ring.

Lesson: stick with today's ceramic guide rings where braid is used.

DR

rj
Posted 9/1/2010 1:14 PM (#457680 - in reply to #456249)

I own the 8'6 big bait and it has been great functioning rod for nearly all my baits now. I haven't picked my my 7 footers in 2+months. I purchased the rod used, and if I make it thru the season without any malfunctions I will add another. With that said..

Some Issues:

*On a couple recent occasions throwing a regular balldawg, I have heard what sounds to be cracking in the bottom 25% of the rod. Nothing loud it just sounds line a glue cracking if that makes sense. This has happened 5 times maybe.

*I also have paint chipping on the eyelet and the hard rubber butt cap had to be superglued back on. It hasn't affected the line as I know it. These are minor issues IMO. Although I will admit I have had to keep an eye on line near the leader as I have noticed some frayage. I don't know if that is from me fishing more, or what.

bowhunter29
Posted 9/1/2010 2:33 PM (#457692 - in reply to #456249)

RJ,

The cracking sound may be coming from your grips. Does the rod flex into the grips?

jeremy
rj
Posted 9/1/2010 3:41 PM (#457702 - in reply to #456249)

Yes it does.
KevinG
Posted 9/6/2010 7:15 PM (#458333 - in reply to #456249)

Got back up north this weekend and took a second look at my Fenwick. I used the Q-tip technique and sure enough the 5th guide down was cracked. I brought the rod back to the retailer and they said Fenwick Elite has a lifetime over the counter replacement policy and exchanged it with no problem. Happy to have it back...great rod can't say enough about it. Thanks for the help.
bowhunter29
Posted 9/7/2010 9:22 AM (#458405 - in reply to #456249)

Kevin,

Glad you found the cracked guide. Hopefully line wear issues are a thing of the past.

jeremy
jakejusa
Posted 9/8/2010 1:29 PM (#458627 - in reply to #456249)

That q-tip trick is older than I am! But still is almost foolproof on a crack you can't even see. Glad to hear you are up & running again!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Humminbird

(Delete all cookies set by this site)