Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Pictures of Spoon Plugs

Message Subject: Pictures of Spoon Plugs
Top H2O
Posted 2/15/2010 4:37 PM (#423888)
Subject: Pictures of Spoon Plugs

Guys,
I'm looking to add some spoon plugs to my tool list and I would like to see some that you guys have.
Are these all the same shapes and sizes, or are they small,med., lrg., mega size?

Thanks, Jerome
Slamr
Posted 2/15/2010 4:49 PM (#423891 - in reply to #423888)
Subject: Re: Pictures of Spoon Plugs

http://cms.outdoorsfanmedia.com/resources/Misc/History/Perry_Buck/S...

Google Images search. "spoon plug" buck perry.
AFChief
Posted 2/15/2010 4:50 PM (#423892 - in reply to #423888)
Subject: RE: Pictures of Spoon Plugs

You can get most of your questions answered by going to Buck Perry's web page:

http://www.buckperry.com/index.php?cPath=83&page=1&sort=2a

Size CHart

http://www.buckperry.com/images/SIZE.jpg

Edited by AFChief 2/15/2010 4:52 PM
Team Rhino
Posted 2/15/2010 6:10 PM (#423903 - in reply to #423888)
Subject: Re: Pictures of Spoon Plugs

http://spoonplug.net/

Check this out for spoonplug info.
jerryb
Posted 2/15/2010 9:09 PM (#423934 - in reply to #423888)
Subject: RE: Pictures of Spoonplugs

Spoonplug / one word.
7 different sizes, running depth from as shallow as you can go - 2' out to about 25' on 17-20lbs mono with a reasonable amount of line out. To achieve max running depth make sure lure is tuned correctly, like you would any other crankbait.

Your lake is a easy one to troll/ clean and locating the good areas should not be difficult, good luck!
Top H2O
Posted 2/15/2010 11:32 PM (#423964 - in reply to #423934)

Thanks for the info, so far.
Do any of you guys Cast these lures or is trolling the only way to boat fish on these lures.

And..... are all spoon plugs made of metal ? ?
Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm trying to learn a new teck.

Jerome

Edited by Top H2O 2/15/2010 11:47 PM
Tanner Wildes
Posted 2/16/2010 7:29 AM (#423977 - in reply to #423964)

Jerome,
Get the book spoonplugging from rollie and helens. Awesome book, and will tell you everything you need to know about spoonplugging!

Tanner
jerryb
Posted 2/16/2010 2:00 PM (#424047 - in reply to #423977)

H20,
Question, If you hit a fish on the troll and knew exactly where he came from,, and also knew where to anchor the boat, What lure would you throw?

Another q, Do you have a another bait in your box that will allow you to control your depth and speed in the same way?

They are made of brass.

Buy the book, study it and then put some time on the water. If your looking for just another bait for any other reason but to control the depth and speed of your baits let me assure you, it's for the wrong reason,,, but don't be upset Buck's Baits will be happy to sell you as many as you want.
happy hooker
Posted 2/16/2010 2:52 PM (#424058 - in reply to #424047)

Jerome
your not far from Spoon plug heaven,,,,Blue Ribbon bait shop in Oakdale is owned by Josh Stevenson the state tiger muskie record holder,,he is a rabid spoonplugger even having a special 5ft rod so he can run his plug right under the transducer for more exact depth control,,,he had the spoonplug books and spoon plugs and Im guessing if you swing by plenty of talk for you,,I would call first before you head over to make sure he is there he does alot of guiding for all species
he talked about spoonplugging at our MI meeting couple years back

Edited by happy hooker 2/16/2010 3:03 PM
Top H2O
Posted 2/17/2010 9:53 AM (#424238 - in reply to #424058)

Thanks guys,
Jerry B. , I get where your coming from. I'm not just looking for the lures but the, when,why, and how of spoonpluging. Knowledge is Power, right?

Jerome
jerryb
Posted 2/17/2010 1:20 PM (#424272 - in reply to #424238)

Power to the people dude! Not trying to diminish your intentions in the least, just throwing in my 20 bucks.

You have got to agree though you don't have to go far to find this so called "excepted thinking," nothing wrong with it either, makes for good lure sales. Buck said "Generations of habits are not easily displaced."

There's a lot of spoonplugs being sold right now "only" because a tournament was won trolling them. What was the "magic" color???

Good recommendation above for you to go see Josh Stevenson, good guy and very good fishermen!
Clark A
Posted 2/17/2010 8:12 PM (#424355 - in reply to #424272)

They cast goofy, and troll great. I have about 30 that I haven't used in years. I need to get back into using them. The split rings and hooks always concerned me for pursuing the elusive muskellunge, but there were numerous Pennsylvania's Kinszua giants taken on them. Our group would fish Burnham Harbor in downtown Chicago almost every night and daylight during the weekends from September through October for Kings in the early 80's. I would cast a yellow with red/orange spotted Spoonplug during the day and would SLAY the Cohos. I never caught any other specie on that lure. I'm guessing 2010 could be the year of returning to 70's fishing technology...No-Bo Line, 5 ft. rods, No-Fish Yellow Fliptail Creatures, Harassers with Mr. Twisters on every hook, and I'm eyeing up an Esox Mag! Does Tuffy still produce boats in the "Bone" color?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)