Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> sucker quick strike rigs

Message Subject: sucker quick strike rigs
BNelson
Posted 9/10/2009 2:08 PM (#399063 - in reply to #399061)
Subject: Re: sucker quick strike rigs

130 lb line is easily cut with a filet knife, is it not?? My rigs don't have fluoro on the part of the rig with the hooks most likely to be in the suckers mouth, 7 strand steel for that.
Use what you have confidence in. Results prove all of the above rigs work.

Edited by BNelson 9/10/2009 2:13 PM
heckster
Posted 9/10/2009 9:15 PM (#399139 - in reply to #396576)
Subject: RE: sucker quick strike rigs

Musky Dick makes a very nice quick release live sucker rig.
Hawkeye
Posted 9/12/2009 12:33 PM (#399371 - in reply to #396576)

One thing I like about the Muskia Mania Lift Off rig is the style of the hooks. One tine on each hook points down instead of forward---which is the one you stick into the Sucker. That way it pulls out easier on a hookset than the trebles where all three tines are foreward pointing.
Kevin Cochran
Posted 10/26/2009 6:19 PM (#406538 - in reply to #396576)

If you are looking for an easy to use rig with a high hook-up percentage check out the quick-strike rigs made by Brad Nelson. I have had excellent luck with them this year. They have two hooks, not alot of waiting for the fish to move the sucker around either. The barbs are not bent so all 6 points on the two trebles can penetrate the mouth.
My clients and I have caught alot of nice fish on them this year. Maybe Brad will posts some of my pics......
Posted 10/26/2009 6:46 PM (#406542 - in reply to #396576)

Best thing to do is to experiment around a little and see which ones you like best for your applications. some rigs may work better with smaller bait and others better with larger bait. One thing to keep in mind is to check the rules and regulations where you are fishing and make sure you follow them. Some guys who have very good sucess sucker fishing tend to let it get to their heads at times and ignore staying within the laws. With all the different live bait regulations of late it is best to know the rules ahead of time for the area or state you will be fishing in.
Baby Mallard
Posted 10/27/2009 10:57 AM (#406626 - in reply to #399063)

I also recommend Brad Nelson's quick-strike rigs. They are very well built and the best I have ever seen. Great hooking percentage and have a small blade that adds attractant to the sucker. Good guy to deal with as well.

Edited by Baby Mallard 10/27/2009 11:29 AM
BNelson
Posted 10/27/2009 12:34 PM (#406638 - in reply to #396576)

glad the rigs are working for you Kevin and Derek..anyone that wants to see some MN fatties Kevin has been getting of late should go check his site out...and then book a day or 2 with him as he knows how to put paying clients on BIG fish..
http://kevincochranguide.com/bemidji_minnesota_cass_lake_fishing_re...

Edited by BNelson 10/27/2009 12:37 PM
Kylar
Posted 10/29/2009 9:59 PM (#407037 - in reply to #396576)

I've been using some of Brad's new sucker rigs this fall.

So far we are 5/5 on muskies, and 4/4 on pike. That's correct, so far we are shooting a 100% hookup rate with no whiffs. I've tried them all, and usually get a 50% rate. There's something about the design of these rigs that just works better.

I've made my own in the past, but it's much more convenient to just buy a handful from someone who has more practice.

We'll be doing some more testing this weekend.
Thanks Brad!

-Kylar-
mikej
Posted 9/9/2012 8:41 AM (#583428 - in reply to #396576)

where can i buy them in toronto or around? having a hell of a time finding any
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)