Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Fluorocarbon Leader Knot ?

Message Subject: Fluorocarbon Leader Knot ?
Muskie Bob
Posted 6/10/2009 2:56 PM (#383150 - in reply to #382211)
Subject: Re: Fluorocarbon Leader Knot ?

It looks like the "Lee Tauchen’s Fluorocarbon Leader Knot" pulls tight rather than forming a loop. I'm use to using leaders with loops.

Is there any benefit to NOT having a loop on either end of a leader?
curleytail
Posted 6/10/2009 8:46 PM (#383197 - in reply to #382211)

Bob, "Lee's" knot will tighten up, but you can tighten the knot up by pulling on the tag end (hard) with a pair of pliers and keep the loop formed. I crimp the tag end, and this also keeps the knot from tightening down. It won't close the loop unless the line slips in the crimp, which shouldn't happen.

I believe that a nail knot, which I believe is what Stealth uses, will also tighten up if the main line is pulled on.

curleytail
boost
Posted 6/11/2009 11:13 AM (#383289 - in reply to #382211)

bob, the perfection loop i posted on the 1st page is just that, a loop knot. i've used it with fluoro up to 50# but yet to try it on 130#+. I'll have to give it a go.
Magic8Ball
Posted 6/11/2009 11:30 AM (#383293 - in reply to #383289)

Ok, I am new so I am confused, when making a Leader Knot, isn't it supposed to be cinched down tight ? or is there supposed to be a little "Give" or Loop so the Lure has more room to move ?
T3clay
Posted 6/9/2016 11:08 PM (#820082 - in reply to #382211)

I just tie a regular fisherman's knot with 4 twists, melt the tag end and good to go
NPike
Posted 6/10/2016 2:45 AM (#820084 - in reply to #382211)
Subject: RE: Fluorocarbon Leader Knot ?

A simple clinch knot with only 3 turns is all that's needed. This knot has never broken or let go on dozen upon dozens of large pike, musky's, tigers and snags over 10 years of my usage. Kiss principle easy to tie, no bulky knot or crimp to gather weeds. I use 80# Seagaur Blue Label, but I have to swap them out regularly, the price I pay for using lighter leader material, but more natural (my preference only).

Watch the video , by the way again only 3 turns for high test fluorocarbon is all that's needed, will not break or come loose. This knot is to be used only for the snap end.

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/fly-fishing-knots/clinch-knot-animati...

I use a double uni to tie to the main line. Again that has never come loose or broke. 5 or 6 turns on the fluorocarbon 10 to 12 turns on the braid.

T3clay
Posted 6/12/2016 12:40 AM (#820278 - in reply to #382211)

What do you use in the swivel end?
NPike
Posted 6/12/2016 4:47 AM (#820280 - in reply to #820278)

T3clay - 6/12/2016 1:40 AM

What do you use in the swivel end?

I usually don’t use a swivel but instead tie directly to the main (braid) line using a double uni-knot. However on occasion I do use a snap swivel at the bait end instead of a simple snap at which time I still use a simple clinch knot. I would do the same if I were tying swivels to the other end of my leaders.

One trick that helps that is not shown in the video is to secure the other end of the snap (or swivel) to your workbench with a very small diameter screw. This holds it down-in place as you tighten the knot which takes a bit of pulling to tighten completely. This is only necessary with the high test fluorocarbon.
Mackerel
Posted 6/13/2016 8:15 AM (#820388 - in reply to #382211)

Perfection loop knot--100 or more leaders for myself and friends over the years, zero failures at the knot. The loop will wear out eventually but not the knot. The keys are to moisten the knot and to draw it very tight under pressure. Easy peasy.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)